Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,558 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Major Defeat For G.w. Bush - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Defeat For G.w. Bush (1930 Views)

I'm Preparing Military Needs For G-7 Leaders.-buhari / Resounding Defeat For Apc At A Polling Unit Near My House / (pictures) Governor Chibuike Amaechi / Rivers State Declares For G Jonathan 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 9:36pm On Jun 28, 2007
WASHINGTON - The Senate drove a stake Thursday through President Bush's plan to legalize millions of unlawful immigrants, likely postponing major action on immigration until after the 2008 elections.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19475868/

Aw. I never supported the bill anyway. Say NO to illegal immigration. wink
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Iman3(m): 12:45am On Jun 29, 2007
They should build an impenetrable fence along the Mexico border.The Democrats want more Latino immigrants because Latinos are traditionally part of their constituency.Bush's abysmal poll numbers have suffered because of his support for this bill.He should listen more to his conservative base.They are the reason he is in office.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 29, 2007
If Nigeria were on the US border they would have built a wall to disgrace the great wall of china. Yeye people!

I say deport the illegal immigrants!
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by vronnie(f): 3:12am On Jun 29, 2007
it will be modified then pass after alot of bullshit by all parties. I support the bill but there are changes needed . The way i see it is if you are working and being productive why not make it possible for them to stay.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by MILITIA(f): 3:41am On Jun 29, 2007
davidylan:

If Nigeria were on the US border they would have built a wall to disgrace the great wall of china. Yeye people!

I[b] say deport the illegal immigrants! [/b]

Easy oh! Who will do all the work in the farms and meat factories! Please I am not ready to go back to Wendy's or Burger King oh! grin
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Nobody: 3:53am On Jun 29, 2007
MILITIA:

Easy oh! Who will do all the work in the farms and meat factories! Please I am not ready to go back to Wendy's or Burger King oh! grin

Dont worry, our black boys and girls are doing a good job.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by MILITIA(f): 4:17am On Jun 29, 2007
davidylan:

Dont worry, our black boys and girls are doing a good job.

Yes oh! grin In the welfare and medicaid department wacking all my hard earned money in taxes! I hear you! wink
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 5:53am On Jun 29, 2007
hhahaha you funny lots. grin
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by BlackMamba(m): 8:19pm On Jun 29, 2007
I can't imagine anyone of African descent been anti-immigration. You lack the standing to antagonize illegal immigrants.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Iman3(m): 8:33pm On Jun 29, 2007
BlackMamba:

I can't imagine anyone of African descent been anti-immigration. You lack the standing to antagonize illegal immigrants.

If you are a legal immigrant,it is natural to resent the fact that some people have taken the illegal route.The more illegal immigrants there are,the less opportunity for legal immigration.There is nothing wrong in insisting that the law must be complied with.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by doncaster(m): 9:48pm On Jun 29, 2007
it is pratically imposible to deport all ilegals in US, the senetors themselves are are of it even here in Uk cos they contribute their own quoter to the economy. What is happening in US is political and beleive me they will definitely pass that bill come what may. Removing 11 workers from the work force will have a tangeble negetive impact in any economy.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Mamajama(m): 9:59pm On Jun 29, 2007
It's impossible to deport all illegal immigrants but they are making it hard and tough for them to reside and find a job. Cooperations are getting slammed for hiring illegal aliens. This to me would have been one thing that BUSH did well if the law was passes. think about it all this people are part of the system, they are doing the jobs that you and I won't do. Some of us that are legal now paid the price so I see why not allowed them to stay as long as they are law abiding citizens. In this global economy we need diversity.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by BlackMamba(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2007

If you are a legal immigrant,it is natural to resent the fact that some people have taken the illegal route.The more illegal immigrants there are,the less opportunity for legal immigration.There is nothing wrong in insisting that the law must be complied with.

Any bloody immigrant, legal or illegal has no moral right to demand legal status of immigrants.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Mamajama(m): 10:19pm On Jun 29, 2007
BlackMamba your argument makes no sense. Will you wash toilet for $4.50 an hour? so if a law abiding Nigerians or Mexicans want to do it why not let them as long as they are conforming with the law of the land.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by ayefele200(m): 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2007
Mamajama:

BlackMamba your argument makes no sense. Will you wash toilet for $4.50 an hour? so if a law abiding Nigerians or Mexicans want to do it why not let them as long as they are conforming with the law of the land.
the minimum wage is $5,45,
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 10:59pm On Jun 29, 2007
the minimum wage is $5,45,
not uniformly. it is dependent on the state.

Black Mamba I don't think you have any idea how much illegal immigrants cost the state of california alone, let alone the U.S. I did some research on this about a year ago.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2007
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigrationnaturalizatio/a/caillegals.htm

State's "cheap labor" costs average household $1,183 a year
Dateline: December, 2004
In hosting America's largest population of illegal immigrants, California bears a huge cost to provide basic human services for this fast growing, low-income segment of its population. A new study from the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) examines the costs of education, health care and incarceration of illegal aliens, and concludes that the costs to Californians is $10.5 billion per year.

Among the key finding of the report are that the state's already struggling K-12 education system spends approximately $7.7 billion a year to school the children of illegal aliens who now constitute 15 percent of the student body. Another $1.4 billion of the taxpayers' money goes toward providing health care to illegal aliens and their families, the same amount that is spent incarcerating illegal aliens criminals.

"California's addiction to 'cheap' illegal alien labor is bankrupting the state and posing enormous burdens on the state's shrinking middle class tax base," stated Dan Stein, President of FAIR.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by MT: 11:07pm On Jun 29, 2007
@ All,

Those people on this thread saying they are "LEGAL"  as if they are the almighty God and saying that illegals should be kicked out are talking out of context. Only God knows how "YOU" got that LEGAL Status you are hanging on to. We should always look at how to make people happy not how to make them sad. A lot of people become illegal due to one thing or the other beyond their control.

I feel if you are legal , thank God, if you r not, there is bright light and huge hope for u ahead. Shallom!
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 11:07pm On Jun 29, 2007
Those who opposed the bill can do so until they turn "blue", the fact is the US has to implement some sort of mechanism aim at  legalising the millions of illegal immigrants, especially those with qualifications, living and working here. The USA needs immigrants, espcially those in the Science, health care(nurses, doctors) and education fields.

The very existence of the USA depends on immigrants, since the majority of born americans (black) would rather drain the economy by collecting welfare  than earn an honest day pay. .  I support any measure put  in place to legalise immigrants, afterall many of our parents came as immigrants and worked these very same jobs in order to make our lives better.

Vive La immigracion cuenta!!
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 11:12pm On Jun 29, 2007
We're addressing illegal immigration here, not immigration in general.  Nobody's saying "say no to immigration" (though I've heard protests from white Americans who feel that way), but illegal immigration is against the law and I do not support it, period.

I even heard the mexican government is passing out Mexican/American Ids that these people use here in the states.  The card is greenish in color.

Legalizing the illegal immigrants wouldn't stop the curse. Next thing you know, you have even more illegal immigrants entering the nation and wanting to be legalized.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by ayefele200(m): 11:16pm On Jun 29, 2007
proverbial:

We're addressing illegal immigration here, not immigration in general. Nobody's saying "say no to immigration" (though I've heard protests from white Americans who feel that way), but illegal immigration is against the law and I do not support it, period.

I even heard the mexican government is passing out Mexican/American Ids that these people use here in the states. The card is greenish in color.
i dont think there is an issue with the ilegal immigrant, the percentage number of mexicans in AMERICA is 65 %, most of the mexicans do all these crampy job, whcih other citizen cant afford to do, like cleaning up houses,road constrution, painting
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by ayefele200(m): 11:17pm On Jun 29, 2007
@prove
would u quit ur job for road constrution?
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Iman3(m): 11:18pm On Jun 29, 2007
Yes to legal immigration
No to illegal immigration

I wholeheartedly support immigration so long as its done in accordance with the law.It is grossly unfair for people to be made to go through an incredible maze of procedures in order to migrate legally to the US ,only for others to do so by illegal means and then be given amnesty.

You are effectively rewarding people for breaking the law.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 11:29pm On Jun 29, 2007
Yes to legalising illegal aliens who are qualified and can be of service to the host country.

No to those who were born in host country and have other wise become liabilities rather than assets,
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 11:36pm On Jun 29, 2007
Yes to legalising illegal aliens who are qualified and can be of service to the host country
if you don't mind explaining to me what these "qualifications" are. What exactly makes them qualified? vandalizing the country?

I guess there's this premise that the illegal immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans don't want. lol.

@ayefele to answer your question, of course not, why would I do that.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 11:50pm On Jun 29, 2007
proverbial:

if you don't mind explaining to me what these "qualifications" are. What exactly makes them qualified? vandalizing the country?

I guess there's this premise that the illegal immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans don't want. lol.

I did in my earlier post, but since you somehow missed it I will repeat.  There are tons of illegal aliens here who were doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers (need I go on) in their respective countries.  Situations drove them to leave their jobs and migrate.  Many if given the legal documentation needed can pick up where they left off and continue in their fields.

Just yesterday I had the honour of meeting a man, who migrated from Nigeria 9 years ago. He was a doctor there but like so many others rushed to land of opportunity.  He has since worked tirelessly as a yellow cab driver and ensured that his children back in Lagos attended universities there.  My point is, people like that man I just mentioned are the ones that I believe deserve the chance to become legals.

When the USA invaded Cuba they extended an invitation to those qualified, mostly the doctors( and yes Cuba produces the best doctors world wide) to abandon Castro and relocate here.  Today the US still enforces "the wet foot, dry foot" policy albeit that the Haitian counterparts are treated with contempt.  What is good for the geese is good for the gander.

The USA still runs to our caribbean islands to "steal" our nurses and teachers on a yearly basis. Since the number is limited, many come on their own and do whatever until better can be done.  They pay their taxes and many are law-abiding citizens.

Again, if these illegals can become assests to the host country why not legalise them?  The fact is, no matter how many wallls they erect, the Mexicans will continue to come. I kind of compare this problem with that of AIDS,  Sex before marriage is wrong, but if thousands are going to engage anyway, why not be an advocate for condoms?  Same here, the wall, deportation etc is NOT going to deter them from coming, so do the right thing and implement measures to ensure that the problem is remedied,

Just my 2cents,
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 11:57pm On Jun 29, 2007
if this is truly the case, I guess everybody that is dissatisfied with their country's present economy should be able to leave the country whenever and enter America illegaly and expect to be granted legal/permanent residence.

those are excuses, they still do not qualify or rebute the fact that illegal immigration is simply "illegal". These are criminals however you look at it; it would be unfair to pardon some criminals and let others walk aroun freely.

They did say there's no justice anyway so I guess we can pretend that these people are regular Americans.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 12:03am On Jun 30, 2007
@Proverbial,
I can see you have somewhere along the line lost me. No NO NO, I am not at all saying that should be the case. Afterall, we are well aware of the economic burden that the host country has to bear in order to take care of the million of illegals here. My point is, if the US can somehow benefit from these aliens, then why not legalise and them become members of the tax paying society. They both will benefit in the end.

proverbial:

if this is truly the case, I guess everybody that is dissatisfied with their country's present economy should be able to leave the country whenever and enter America illegaly and expect to be granted legal/permanent residence.

those are excuses, they still do not qualify or rebute the fact that illegal immigration is simply "illegal". These are criminals however you look at it; it would be unfair to pardon some criminals and let others walk aroun freely.

They did say there's no justice anyway so I guess we can pretend that these people are regular Americans.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 30, 2007
Islander:

I did in my earlier post, but since you somehow missed it I will repeat. There are tons of illegal aliens here who were doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers (need I go on) in their respective countries. Situations drove them to leave their jobs and migrate. Many if given the legal documentation needed can pick up where they left off and continue in their fields.

That is no excuse, if every illegal immigrant is allowed to legalise their status simply because they were lawyers and doctors in their home countries what stops other lawyers and doctors from simply appearing at the borders demanding to be legalised?
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by proverbial: 12:21am On Jun 30, 2007
abi o David, that's what I said.

Islander check this out by the way:

"When your home is repeatedly being broken into by thieves and worse, you get them OUT of your house by arresting them and removing them from your premises. You then install a very good alarm and security system so that they cannot enter again without being immediately identified, arrested, and removed before they do any harm at all. You DO NOT allow them to remain in your home, call them family, and THEN install the alarm system, after giving the thieves your passcode to deactivate it "temporarily"."
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 12:24am On Jun 30, 2007
davidylan:

That is no excuse, if every illegal immigrant is allowed to legalise their status simply because they were lawyers and doctors in their home countries what stops other lawyers and doctors from simply appearing at the borders demanding to be legalised?
while you do have a valid point, you and I know fully well that 'every' doctor, lawyer, teacher et al would NEVER leave their country and migrate.  Let's deal with the influx that has already called here their home.

Also, we are all aware that this bill has not seen its demise. Election is around the corner.  The truth is the USA HAS to do something about legalising the million of illegals here, whether the conservative Republicans, Democrats etc  like it or not.
Re: Major Defeat For G.w. Bush by Islander(f): 12:29am On Jun 30, 2007
proverbial:

abi o David, that's what I said.

Islander check this out by the way:

"When your home is repeatedly being broken into by thieves and worse, you get them OUT of your house by arresting them and removing them from your premises. You then install a very good alarm and security system so that they cannot enter again without being immediately identified, arrested, and removed before they do any harm at all. You DO NOT allow them to remain in your home, call them family, and THEN install the alarm system, after giving the thieves your passcode to deactivate it "temporarily"."

Before I attempt to provide an answer. Are you refering to illegal aliens as thieves? If so, this is preposterous since we all know that many of these people are harmless and only came here to make an honest living.

Again Proverbial, I say yes to legalising aliens who have something to offer. For those who would add further burden to be economy( like many of its lazy unproductive nationals) then I have a problem.

PS> Great scenario, however, I have seen them as hard working working people and not menaces to society,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alao-akala's Contempt For Awo / Beninoise-american Fugitive Traced To Nigeria / How Hausa And Igbo Work Very Well Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.