Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. (17801 Views)

What Is The Role Of A University Chancellor? / Cornell University Student Strips In Class To Defend Her Presentation In NewYork / Imo State University Student Slumps & Dies After Her Project Defence (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Africanism321(m): 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
U DID NOT TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH CAPITAL INVOLVE IN THESE BUSINESS
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by uthlaw: 4:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:
That's why I will make enough money so my kids won't pass through this same shiit. It's either they school in one the best private unis around or I fly them out.
I'm trying all my best to leave this country,so i won't even give birth here.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Joshmanuel10(m): 4:52pm On Dec 01, 2020
I'm telling my family that I have no interest in going to university
And the next thing am hearing is be ready to leave the house
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Coinbased: 4:55pm On Dec 01, 2020
Oh
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Juanmike(m): 5:25pm On Dec 01, 2020
E don be for them.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:35pm On Dec 01, 2020
uthlaw:
I'm trying all my best to leave this country,so i won't even give birth here.

A very wonderful idea.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by TOYNEX(f): 7:26pm On Dec 01, 2020
dasnan:
It is quite worrisome that ASUU has been on strike for over 8 months and still counting. This got me asking myself the following questions:

1. What is the future of higher education in Nigeria?

2. Do the powers that be really give much premium to education ?

3. Is ASUU really fighting for a rubost higher education in Nigeria?

The above questions if sincerely answered may help determine the fate of university students in Nigeria.

Actually, Education was the key but APC government chạnged the lock, so forget ASUU and learn a skill.
Learn a new tip to boost December hustle
A thread for fashion designers
https://www.nairaland.com/6280305/how-use-stone-pattern-board
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by chaloskyx: 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
THERES NO FUTURE IN NIGERIA MEANING THE GRADUATES OF THOSE UNIVERSITIES ARE BETTER OFF SHOWING THEIR INTELLECT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OUR NATION DOES NOT VALUE EDUCATION
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by calcal: 11:33pm On Dec 01, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:
That's why I will make enough money so my kids won't pass through this same shiit. It's either they school in one the best private unis around or I fly them out.

Yes, you are right but you need serious career counseling for them.

You made enough money, send them to a private school and what next?

sned them oversea and what next?

look at the scenario of a boy well trained oversea as a medical doctor just to find himself working at the general hospital without needed equipment to operate and low wages.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by PropertyBuying(f): 3:43am On Dec 02, 2020
justuschi50:
Pple still dey talk of assu, which level I given dey self, can't remember
All students should find something good, legal and worth the while engaging up learn valuable skills while these incessant ASUU strikes subsist.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:58am On Dec 02, 2020
calcal:

Yes, you are right but you need serious career counseling for them.

You made enough money, send them to a private school and what next?

sned them oversea and what next?

look at the scenario of a boy well trained oversea as a medical doctor just to find himself working at the general hospital without needed equipment to operate and low wages.

Yea I get you.. It will be included also.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by clockwisereport: 9:09am On Dec 02, 2020
ILoveDemMANNA:
Can you imagine a country where the school curriculum is regulated by a national central body and states have no powers to vary or amend their curriculum?
So, if the rest of the developed world is light years ahead in what they teach their children from primary schools, and our Minister of Education has absolutely no clue, the States must be burdened with antiquated school curriculum until such a time (if we are lucky, before rapture perhaps!!) that we have an Education Minister who would realise how far behind we are and bring the curriculum up to date.
Just take a look at the science curriculum for grade students in advanced countries and you would cry for Nigeria.
I recently read of a high school in Japan which has amended its curriculum to include robotics and drones technology.
IN HIGH SCHOOL!!
But our Professors here don't have a hang on Robotics even!
Students are still taught the very prehistoric rudiments of physics and chemistry in our schools.
And this is even in the few schools that teachers and students still meet in the classrooms!
For the few public schools that are lucky to have labs, all you see are miserable nameless creatures trapped in formalin, to which nobody ever pays attention.
These creatures suffer a double jeopardy having suffered the first misfortune of being caught and preserved in formalin in Nigeria, and then thereafter completely ignored, even in death!
And because the control of our curriculum is central, there is nothing States can do about this.

You would think this is not a problem until you understand that Nigerians spend over ONE TRILLION NAIRA every year to study abroad.
You see, the reason why you have Cambridge, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Oxford, etc is not only for academic excellence of the citizens of the countries which have these schools. No.
They invest in their institutions so that they can earn revenue from foreign students from countries like Nigeria which has destroyed its educational system.
Abroad, schools are so important to society that the economy, business and lifestyle of whole cities and even States completely depend on or revolve around schools. What would the city of cambridge be without Cambridge University.
Or Cambridge, Massachusett without Harvard University. These cities depend on these universities to survive.
And imagine that Nigeria had invested in its universities and was earning $1billion dollars a year from foreign students seeking to study here, who would be fighting over oil in the Niger Delta?
How many car manufacturing companies would we have in Owerri near FUTO where students are constantly doing and selling their research products to burgeoning engineering and manufacturing companies?
Recently, three students in Sweden conducted research and came up with a product that could improve wear and tear on tyres.
The product became so successful that Volvo had to partner with these students to patent the product.
Now when this product hit world stage, can you imagine how much revenue sweden would earn from these product?
Do your research, most of the world-class products we buy today off the shelf, at great cost, were invented by university students.
As you are reading this, do not forget that without Harvard University, there would not have been facebook, and this our interface would have been impossible.

But our students In Nigeria are not entirely without inventions. We invented the Pyrates Confraternity, the , the Eiye, the Vikings and what not!!
Students resume school with guns and bullets, rather than books and scholastic ideas, as though academic institutions were a war college. Lecturers fly colors as do students.
And when the turf war begins, people die in droves. But States can do nothing about this because some of these institutions are controlled by the Federal Government. Even for the ones controlled by States, you still can't do much because the security apparatus is controlled by the Federal Government.
The Federal Government will provide or withdraw security from the State, depending on whether it is happy with the sitting Governor. So every year, all sorts of characters are vomited from Nigerian Universities to take their place in Nigerian society. So you have Judges, Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors and so forth whose first and primary allegiance is to their cult group, before the Country.
The multiplier effect of this, is a treatise for another day
And this has been going on for decades in this country.
One day, I pray we get it right!
Cc :Btruth
#Respect

Oga, you copied Guardian without acknowledging them
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Numero9: 12:13pm On Dec 12, 2020
ILoveDemMANNA:
Can you imagine a country where the school curriculum is regulated by a national central body and states have no powers to vary or amend their curriculum?
So, if the rest of the developed world is light years ahead in what they teach their children from primary schools, and our Minister of Education has absolutely no clue, the States must be burdened with antiquated school curriculum until such a time (if we are lucky, before rapture perhaps!!) that we have an Education Minister who would realise how far behind we are and bring the curriculum up to date.
Just take a look at the science curriculum for grade students in advanced countries and you would cry for Nigeria.
I recently read of a high school in Japan which has amended its curriculum to include robotics and drones technology.
IN HIGH SCHOOL!!
But our Professors here don't have a hang on Robotics even!
Students are still taught the very prehistoric rudiments of physics and chemistry in our schools.
And this is even in the few schools that teachers and students still meet in the classrooms!
For the few public schools that are lucky to have labs, all you see are miserable nameless creatures trapped in formalin, to which nobody ever pays attention.
These creatures suffer a double jeopardy having suffered the first misfortune of being caught and preserved in formalin in Nigeria, and then thereafter completely ignored, even in death!
And because the control of our curriculum is central, there is nothing States can do about this.

You would think this is not a problem until you understand that Nigerians spend over ONE TRILLION NAIRA every year to study abroad.
You see, the reason why you have Cambridge, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Oxford, etc is not only for academic excellence of the citizens of the countries which have these schools. No.
They invest in their institutions so that they can earn revenue from foreign students from countries like Nigeria which has destroyed its educational system.
Abroad, schools are so important to society that the economy, business and lifestyle of whole cities and even States completely depend on or revolve around schools. What would the city of cambridge be without Cambridge University.
Or Cambridge, Massachusett without Harvard University. These cities depend on these universities to survive.
And imagine that Nigeria had invested in its universities and was earning $1billion dollars a year from foreign students seeking to study here, who would be fighting over oil in the Niger Delta?
How many car manufacturing companies would we have in Owerri near FUTO where students are constantly doing and selling their research products to burgeoning engineering and manufacturing companies?
Recently, three students in Sweden conducted research and came up with a product that could improve wear and tear on tyres.
The product became so successful that Volvo had to partner with these students to patent the product.
Now when this product hit world stage, can you imagine how much revenue sweden would earn from these product?
Do your research, most of the world-class products we buy today off the shelf, at great cost, were invented by university students.
As you are reading this, do not forget that without Harvard University, there would not have been facebook, and this our interface would have been impossible.

But our students In Nigeria are not entirely without inventions. We invented the Pyrates Confraternity, the , the Eiye, the Vikings and what not!!
Students resume school with guns and bullets, rather than books and scholastic ideas, as though academic institutions were a war college. Lecturers fly colors as do students.
And when the turf war begins, people die in droves. But States can do nothing about this because some of these institutions are controlled by the Federal Government. Even for the ones controlled by States, you still can't do much because the security apparatus is controlled by the Federal Government.
The Federal Government will provide or withdraw security from the State, depending on whether it is happy with the sitting Governor. So every year, all sorts of characters are vomited from Nigerian Universities to take their place in Nigerian society. So you have Judges, Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors and so forth whose first and primary allegiance is to their cult group, before the Country.
The multiplier effect of this, is a treatise for another day
And this has been going on for decades in this country.
One day, I pray we get it right!
Cc :Btruth
#Respect
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by bonetalk(m): 6:24am On Mar 04, 2021
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Yea
ABUAD, Babcock And Covenant have always been on my mind.
Yes, try Abuad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Have Met All ASUU Demands - Ngige / JAMB: ASUU Kicks Against Oloyede’s Appointment As Registrar / Ekiti State University New Scheduled School Fees For 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.