Stats: 3,152,547 members, 7,816,331 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members (16174 Views)

ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? / Strike: We’re Still Consulting, Says ASUU / ASUU Strike: What Led To The Walkout Of The Union Members During The Meeting (2) (3) (4)

Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by son4century(m): 9:51am On Dec 02, 2020
Consultation kee you there
are you all consulting the Oracle?
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Davo93(m): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2020
How long will it take ASUU to complete this consultation? SMH
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by 9jatips: 10:21am On Dec 02, 2020
ohh
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Bluntemperor: 10:25am On Dec 02, 2020
Ajax99:
When will y'all stop catching cruise with people's Future? undecided

I am disappointed in ASUU and so many people too.It seems the Politicians blood is now running inside them.If by now you are yet to seat and call off the strike,then the govt has the Mandate to register another Union who can collect the Present Offer and let full academic swings.Why all this rasmoboge for God's sake? Nonsense delay.
Mo ja mo sa,lanmo akikoju logun!!
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by IamRandy: 10:27am On Dec 02, 2020
Atheistan:

And how would it affect the average lecturer and the state of our schools?
the 70billion go still disappear like all the billions they have been sentimentally collecting.

The PUBLIC schools are already in DECAYING conditiongringrin

Just that this regime HAVE MASTERED the "art of promise&fail and WICKEDNESS to the common man who are major attendees to the PUBLIC SCHOOLs...

So I don't blame ASUU at all, at least for the fact they are GIVING THE GOVTS sleeplessness NIGHTS and what NLC can't do, it's welcomedcheesycheesy
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Francieuche: 10:31am On Dec 02, 2020
Except I don't serve a living God ,,God will punish these people accordingly
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Gabbriell: 10:51am On Dec 02, 2020
Alexis11:
Very irresponsible Union. No regard for the students future at all.

The way most of them embezzle and mismanage funds in school is even worse than the FG.

So sad..see what poor education has caused.

This one thinks ASUU is in charge of managing school funds. embarassed

They say the youth are the leaders of tomorrow but with what am seeing now in fellow youths....Hmmmm, all I can say is let the old mofos in charge continue. The youth lack the required knowledge to rule.

Leadership is not by good intentions alone...without knowledge good intentions would just be in a vegitative state. Just ask somebody we all know.
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by 9jatriot(m): 10:53am On Dec 02, 2020
If I was say president, I will neutralize ASUU. They are too lazy for my liking
mvem:
so what are they doing?...ASUU union right from the military era has always been that one Union that gives the government tough time...I remember Abacha threatening to sack all lecturers because of their agitations. Or the 1-2 years strike during Obj time.ASUU has known how Gov behaves as you can see what they did in NLC matter
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Alexis11: 10:58am On Dec 02, 2020
Gabbriell:

They say the youth are the leaders of tomorrow but with what am seeing now in fellow youths....Hmmmm, all I can say is let the old mofos in charge continue. The youth lack the required knowledge to rule.

Leadership is not by good intentions alone...without knowledge good intentions would just be in a vegitative state. Just ask somebody we all know.

Go and sit your ass down!!!

You are a confirmed mumu!

The VCs, DVCs and members of senate of different universities are not lecturers

How are they managing the schools IGR or you are totally oblivious of all the embezzlement claims here and there

Or you think you are talking to a neophyte in University settings

Mehn! You are sick in the head!
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Decimus: 11:08am On Dec 02, 2020
Gabbriell:

Leadership i

s not by good intentions alone...without knowledge good intentions would just be in a vegitative state. Just ask somebody we all know.
He's not entirely wrong.

Many VCs have been accused of embezzlements and Misappropriation of funds in the past.
What do the lecturers do with the research funds they politically positioned themselves to get? Apart from buying Tokunbo cars to enable them feel a little bit more important.

It's true that Education is under-funded, but even the little funds that are being released are not being judiciously used for the right purposes.

ASUU is a major part of the corruption in the university system.
From sharing of admission slots, absconding from lecture halls and sex and money for grades.
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by mvem(m): 11:41am On Dec 02, 2020
9jatriot:
If I was say president, I will neutralize ASUU. They are too lazy for my liking
The likes of Abacha tried but failed... You can't easily dissolve or "neutralize" a union
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Gabbriell: 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2020
Decimus:

He's not entirely wrong.

Many VCs have been accused of embezzlements and Misappropriation of funds in the past.
What do the lecturers do with the research funds they politically positioned themselves to get? Apart from buying Tokunbo cars to enable them feel a little bit more important.

It's true that Education is under-funded, but even the little funds that are being released are not being judiciously used for the right purposes.

ASUU is a major part of the corruption in the university system.
From sharing of admission slots, absconding from lecture halls and sex and money for grades.

He is totally wrong. U are also wrong.

Please go and learn about how the university is runned.

Universities funds are not paid into ASUU's purse. They only fight the government so that the funds are made available to the schools.

When you talk about funds management in schools..there are other bodies that handle that.

Academic staff union of universities (ASUU) contributions is merely academical. They fight for their members welfare and sometimes for funds to be released to the school for development . SO THAT DUDE IS ENTIRELY WRONG.

About research funds...if the government give reserach funds to lecturers and they use it to buy tokumbo cars...that's their business.That is not the topic that lead to this discussion. SO LET US STOP SHIFTING GOAL POST AND CULTIVATE THE HABIT OF "CALLING A SPADE A SPADE" EVEN WHEN IT IS NO BENEFICIAL TO DO SO.
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by rollybest(m): 12:42pm On Dec 02, 2020
uuzba:

How one uneducated guy can hold the blokos of the entire educated people in Nigeria. And with all their book, they can't do him anything.
Knowledge is no longer power but power is power. That's why they can't do him anything
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by 9jatriot(m): 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2020
Abacha may have failed but I assure it, it can be done. A multilayer teaching system is one way of doing it. Why don't bank workers union go on strike?
mvem:
The likes of Abacha tried but failed... You can't easily dissolve or "neutralize" a union
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 02, 2020
9jatriot:
Abacha may have failed but I assure it, it can be done. A multilayer teaching system is one way of doing it. Why don't bank workers union go on strike?

Because the Banking sector is mostly privatised and that's why it's workers are being paid peanuts. Privatising the education system completely is not a good idea and will only plunge the country into irredeemable wahala
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by 9jatriot(m): 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2020
Bank workers paid peanuts? Are you sure of this? Or you are mistaking the contract staff who are mostly tellers for bank workers.
Even then, that is not the answer to the question I asked, my question was Why don't bank workers union go on strike?
MuhMubRaj:

Because the Banking sector is mostly privatised and that's why it's workers are being paid peanuts. Privatising the education system completely is not a good idea and will only plunge the country into irredeemable wahala
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2020
9jatriot:
Bank workers paid peanuts? Are you sure of this? Or you are mistaking the contract staff who are mostly tellers for bank workers.
Even then, that is not the answer to the question I asked, my question was Why don't bank workers union go on strike?
Over 70 percent of bankers are contracts staffs. and they are being paid peanuts compared to the work been done, the money generated and also compared to the permanent staffs emoluments. This also highlights the fact that labour laws are almost non existential and at best ridiculous in Nigeria otherwise ASUU won't demand to be paid for 8 months dey didn't move a muscle during. Back to your question,Bankers don't strike because they are at the mercy of their employers. Government workers can afford to strike cause we are the government. Just as Private unis cannot afford to strike, Banks too cannot strike.
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by 9jatriot(m): 2:58pm On Dec 02, 2020
I do not know about peanuts and your 70% is clearly wrong.
Accepting to be paid 8 months of no work is fraud. The banking sector is one of the most run organization in Nigeria. If FG is really serious, ASUU can be neutralized to stop holding the nation hostage. I won't be surprised if they are not already working on it.

MuhMubRaj:

Over 70 percent of bankers are contracts staffs. and they are being paid peanuts compared to the work been done, the money generated and also compared to the permanent staffs emoluments. This also highlights the fact that labour laws are almost non existential and at best ridiculous in Nigeria otherwise ASUU won't demand to be paid for 8 months dey didn't move a muscle during. Back to your question, Bankers don't strike because they are at the mercy of their employers. Government workers can afford to strike cause we are the government. Just as Private unis cannot afford to strike, Banks too cannot strike.

Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by chidezrich: 3:11pm On Dec 02, 2020
even lecturers are afraid to return to class because their brain don't empty.the country wahala don't occupy every where.
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2020
Fg should just increase their salaries too
I mean how can Academic Dons be treated like this
And first class Touts in the National Assembly get paid in Millions...
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Charleskalaiyo(m): 11:07pm On Dec 02, 2020
The federal government should reform tertiary education. All federal schools should be given to their respective states to manage. And also give license to foreign educational institutions in Nigeria
Re: ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members by Olude193: 10:55am On Dec 08, 2020
I know one school has Congress by 8am tomorrow morning

Nairaland Interschool Debate (entry Level) / Ambrose Alli University Reacts To Forcing Medical Students To Sign Undertaking / WAEC 2012 Results: How To Check Yours