Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:00 AM

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position (293 Views)

Abolishment Of School Whatsapp Groups Only For A Particular Zone - Katsina Govt / She Graduated In 2016 But Has Been Failing Two Particular Courses / “shaku Shaku” And “I Like Your Waist In Particular” Features In Uniben Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
So many job applicants wonder why they end up not being called up for interviews despite having the required skills for the job. Many of them fail to realise that sometimes, it's not about them having the skills or knowing how to do the job,but how they're able to effectively communicate this to the hiring manager through their CV/Resume.

Here are 5 mistakes every job applicant must avoid when crafting their CV/Resume to their desired job offer...

1. Each Cv/Resume is tailored towards a particular job opening. Your CV is not a multi-purpose item, avoid the mistake of submitting thesame CV for all your job applications. The CV you would submit when applying for the position of a Secretary shouldn't be thesame with what you would submit for another job opening of an Account. This is because both jobs differ, and they have different requirements. So, if you make the mistake of submitting same CV for both openings, it would reduce the chances of you being called for an interview.
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 2:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
2. Do not include your Date Of Birth, Marital Status, Political Affiliation, PO Box number, state and local government of origin etc if it's not stated on the job requirements that you should do so. Most of us include some of these info on our CVs because we see others doing thesame thing, we don't even stop to ask ourselves 'of what use is this info if i include it on my CV/Resume, would it make it stand out amongst that of other applicants or not.
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
3. Avoid the use of stylish fonts and special characters on your CV: when you use stylish fonts on your CV, you might come off as an unserious fellow to the recruitment officer. In recent times, most companies use the Applicant Tracking System (i'll discuss this in another topic later) in reviewing CVs of job applicants and it ranks them according to how qualified they are. The ATS software can't process such stylish fonts and it would automatically rank your CV lower. The Recommended fonts are; Times New Roman, Moteserat, Aerial, Calibre etc
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 3:04pm On Dec 03, 2020
4. Avoid the use of colours,tables, charts, graphs and designs on your CV: you might be surprised that some persons include such things on their CV. Except you're applying for the role of a graphic designer, you shouldn't include such things in your CV. C'mon, it's a CV not a power point presentation
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 3:20pm On Dec 03, 2020
and last but not the least...

5. Crosscheck For Mispellings and Grammatical Errors Before Submitting: Double check for grammatical errors and wrong spellings before submitting it. If possible, send it to a friend to help you review it before you submit it.

Thank You for reading, feel free to drop your questions.
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by InsME: 2:02am On Dec 05, 2020
Well detailed information.
Thank you very much @OP.

Buh I have a question about point 2..
does that mean information such as Date Of Birth, Marital Status, state and local government of origin should be omitted except made on request?

As per date of birth, I learnt just the day and month would do. What do you think?

If 400naira daily isn't too small for you to carryout a task within 3-5mins, then check my signature
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Crafting Your Cv To A Particular Job/position by Gaiusc: 6:36am On Dec 05, 2020
InsME:
Well detailed information.
Thank you very much @OP.

Buh I have a question about point 2..
does that mean information such as Date Of Birth, Marital Status, state and local government of origin should be omitted except made on request?

As per date of birth, I learnt just the day and month would do. What do you think?
Great question. Job requirements for some particular positions differ from one organization to the other. There are some job requirements that the age limit is stated,if you fall within the age limit, feel free to include your DOB on your Cv when applying for such job, but if no age limit is stated, don't include it. The Other items like marital status, Lga of origin should only be included on request.

(1) (Reply)

Got Robbed And Needed A Favour - Pls / How To Factory Reset Hp Laptop / Federal University Of Technology Akure (FUTA) Post UTME Screening Date For 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.