Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,400 members, 7,846,689 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank (7310 Views)

How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by denex: 9:18am On Jul 01, 2007
If I'm overpaid by my bank, I'll assume there's some kind of PROMO going on which I'm unaware of.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Vide(m): 10:12pm On Jul 01, 2007
If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank? a big question with a short and simple answer.

Before we advance consider these questions
- who loses?
- who gains?
- why are you being asked to confim cash before leaving the bank?
- why are you not being repaid if you leave the bank and even return minutes later before complaining?

possible answers

- the paying teller / customer account debited could lose, ask me why? a teller may erroneously debit your account with   53k when you actually issue a cheque of 35k. NB: he/she is human.

- definitely the gainer is not you, because you shall reap you fruit in a bumper harvest of deceit. remember the paying teller most often accounts for all loses and gains to his/her superiors.
- if you confirm the cash before leaving the bakning hall most banks 've circuit cameras to ascertain the truth in the event of any litigation of what actually transpired
- it is most often difficult to ascertain how many times the cash withdrawn has changed hands before you return to the bank to your complains

if you have an account with customer centred bank and driven by professionalism, I am sure you will not experience hazzles as such.

every thief thinks he is an honest man, opportunity makes the thief [b][/b].

I will definitely return the money because it is my value not to steal.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Prince22(m): 11:38pm On Jul 01, 2007
I WANT 2 BUY THE IDEA OF aBUJA BOY 'ATM' IS THE ALTIMATE,

Though, somenone like me hardly can't money, but i realised that in some occassion where the money is ment 4 a particular purpose, The bank 'UBA' also short pay me. It might be vis-versal.

Only God knows the inner man.

AH AH!! AH!!! AH!!!! AH!!!!!
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by kellorah: 12:33am On Jul 02, 2007
It is theft not to return the money. So, I'd advice you to return it. I've got a conscience, I WOULD return the rest of it.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 02, 2007
@ Ghettolove,
Banks do not cover their staff against such occurrences. The Staff pay for any Shortages. If it is traced back to you which usually happens, they could take you to court or report you to your employer if its a salary account and then you could loose credibility.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by ebos(m): 8:44am On Jul 02, 2007
So, these are Nigerians saying they will return the money if they are over-paid? "Glory be to God." Forever and ever. There is hope for Nigeria. At least I am impressed with all the responses, it only shows that Nigeria will be better in future with all these people. This simply means we have a good number of people who have conscience. May God strengthen them to return it when it will happen. As for me, I will still return it sharp sharp, though I have not been overpaid before, but many times I have come across huge amount on the way (Port Harcourt), I made sure the money was traced back to the owner.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 9:21am On Jul 02, 2007
aisha2:

@ Ghettolove,
Banks do not cover their staff against such occurrences. The Staff pay for any Shortages. If it is traced back to you which usually happens, they could take you to court or report you to your employer if its a salary account and then you could loose credibility.

My point is when a customer is short changed and there seem to be a compensating error on the same day. A compensating error may occur when the cashier pays MR A 65K instead of 56k and on the same day pays MR B 45k instead of 54k, it is obvious that MR B will quickly rush back to the bank but the other chap may not. The cashier will only hope MR A comes back with the excess.   

@ TOPIC

I do not like anyone to cry while i am smiling, the bank should also remove or rephrase those notices @ paying point because it automatically place them on defence in any of such event. I think a more customer friendly approach should be adopted.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Makamiyaki(m): 9:46am On Jul 02, 2007
I'll assume its a bonus and walk away with the dough!
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 02, 2007
Gettolove:

My point is when a customer is short changed and there seem to be a compensating error on the same day. A compensating error may occur when the cashier pays MR A 65K instead of 56k and on the same day pays MR B 45k instead of 54k, it is obvious that MR B will quickly rush back to the bank but the other chap may not. The cashier will only hope MR A comes back with the excess.

@ TOPIC

I do not like anyone to cry while i am smiling, the bank should also remove or rephrase those notices @ paying point because it automatically place them on defence in any of such event. I think a more customer friendly approach should be adopted.

I understand your point but thats is not what usually happens, When the paying Cahsier does not balance, he/she pays first before any investigation, They are almost always in debt.
Yeh i agree not only banks almost all Nigerian organistions have poor customer services. This will only change if customers will come together and do something about it apart from just complaining. Remember the one day phone boycott
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 11:02am On Jul 02, 2007
@ aisha 2

are you a teller or once a teller?
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by obyann(f): 12:21pm On Jul 02, 2007
Definitely I will return the money as I have done before. I have been overpaid by a cashier at UBA Idowu Taylor, Victorial Island Branch. I was in a hurry to send money to my brother. I left some urgent work i needed to do in the office and rushed to bank. The cashier paid me 10k instead of 5k that i requested for. I have reached First Bank Adeyemo Alakija Victoria Island Branch to pay into my brothers account when I realized i was paid 10k. I quickly rushed back to the cashier and reported to her. She advised i should pay in the 5k into my account and corrected the erro in her system.

Its good to be good. I might see myself in a smilar position tomorrow. How will i see it if I make a such mistake and the customer use it against me.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2007
No am not, am just a Nigerian concerned with the future of Nigerian Youth.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by muyiwabank(m): 10:10am On Jul 03, 2007
There is no way a Teller in Nigeria will not over pay customers
even the so called experience ones
unless you are working in a bank where you service only 50 customers a day
remember there are some banks that is always a mad house
because its always filled up with customers

i was once a teller and i must tell you i paid shortages
but i also return overages
there are times i took them to the customer's house too
also there are times when custmers return my shortages to me
even after i have paid them.

The most important thing is that its good to return overpayment
because such money will cost an innocent peron a lot
and who knows you might also end up in the bank later.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by kpolongo(f): 10:39am On Jul 04, 2007
This whole thing bothers on one's integrity and self esteem.
Like someone rightfully said"honesty is a great gift from God"
It also bothers on your family back ground and upbringing
It wouldn't really add any value to your person when you steal but it makes you a "hungry idiot" that will never grow.
Let me just tell you nairaland users, the issue of consealing overages from the bank is the simple reason while most of our young ladies sleep with
anything irrespective of age,social class .
for crying out loud people should learn how attach some respect to their self esteem!!!
do you need to get a "think you" for you to be upright?
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by McDoe(m): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2007
It is only good we returned such money. Don't forget that somebody would have to face the penalty for such overpayment. Consider if it were to be your sister or brother. Even if you have suffered an underpayment sometimes, it shouldn't be enough for you to steal. The evil that men do will definitely haunt them one day.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by rowlandwhy: 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2007
THis is incompetency,
even banks like Citibank are not still competent in paying cash then which bank will be?

Me if i notice on time i will refund the money but if later i may wonder if it is among my money and something else
it is also on one's desicion too based on the fact that they have been underpaying people previously
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 10:42am On Jul 05, 2007
@ post

most people seem not to feel my point here, what of the crooks among the cashiers who don't make up for shortages suffered by customers, most of them would argue on the premise that there is a standing notice which tells all customers to confirm their money before leaving the counter.

I wish those notices can be rephrased to suit both parties.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by sagacious(f): 3:53pm On Jul 05, 2007
It happened yesterday ,my boss sent me to bank to withdrawl some amount for him ,and the cashier payed me 50k extra ,when i was trying to call the lady attension to the mistake, she refused to respond, and i waited till she got herself back to me,then i returned the money back ,after that a guy came to me that i must be rich and i told him 'MY BIRD DOESN'T FLY THAT '
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 10:43am On Jul 06, 2007
@sagacious

That is very interesting to hear, i hope those cashiers would be like you when the ball is in their court.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by tollu: 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2007
When i saw the title of this thread, i was like 'there's no way i'm gonna return free money' but the response of some people got me thinking-and i like to believe brought out the inner me. There's no way i'm gonna walk away with someone else's money cos i believe strongly in the law of karma. If my account is overcredited, that's another thought for when i'm richer. wink
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by PurestBoy(m): 11:57pm On Jul 06, 2007
Most bank managers are thieves. They also indulge in fraudulent activities and rip people off of their money. I know about few cases at Zenith and InterContinental. I can't wait to getting overpaid.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by PurestBoy(m): 12:03am On Jul 07, 2007
What if I'm underpaid and I discover after I've left their premises? Who will listen to me? Isn't that part of their illegal gains?
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2007
@purestboy

I think my problem with the thread is now finally raised by you, many people have just been sentimental and one-sided as if all customers that are underpaid are re imbursed by these banks, those notices should be removed by banks if they want customers to be loyal to them. I think it is partial and unfriendly if my bank already says i may not be re imbursed if i am underpaid and expect me to refund overages.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by choco4life(m): 6:03pm On Jul 07, 2007
ATM?
good suggestion
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by choco4life(m): 6:08pm On Jul 07, 2007
i think the ATM takes care of overpayment
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by cheexy: 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2007
To be very sincere, it depends on the bank and most especially, my mood. If it is diamond bank, where i come in contact with friendly, fast and nice tellers and superb customer service, then i would definately return the money but if it a bank like first bank and uba where their tellers are so nasty, slow, plain frustrated and the queues are unbelievably long,
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 10:39am On Jul 09, 2007
choco4life:

i think the ATM takes care of overpayment

what if you want to withdraw what the ATM cant give you, or you are given a cheque to go and catch
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by nikinash(f): 4:53pm On Jul 09, 2007
i'm always very interested in these kind of threads.

first of all, i would like everyone to realise that what goes round will always come around. if you defraud someone, you will be defrauded, it may take a long time but it will happen. no matter what! so if you are over-paid pr your accunt is over credited, and you take off with it, it will be your turn someday.

secondly, banks put those notices in their banking halls for a number fo reasons, first amongst which it is for you, not against you, so that if you were underpaid, and you counted before leaving the banking hall, it will be automatic to complete your money. If however you were underpaid and still left the banking hall without counting the money, you shouldn't assume that the bank will not refund. The problem with most people is that they assume a lot of wrong things. Banks in this era are all big boys, they are all looking for customers, so it is not in their interest if you go away to their competitor. The problem with paying you back such monies will be the verification that truly you were underpaid and banks have a varied number of ways through which they may ascertain that. Once they can do that, they WILL pay you back. Sometimes though the error is not from the bank at all, but when monies have passed form one hand to the other, it is very possible that it has been tampered with, so you also have to try to ascertain where the possible fault may be from.

thirdly, when you do not return overages (overpayment), the teller (cahsier) who paid you will DEFINITELY pay for for it, r may even be sacked. Now do you really want to bear that on your conscience? Contrary to what you may think, most of them do not earn high salaries, some get paid between 20 ad 40 thousand naira monthly, so if he/she has to pay back overages that are not returned maybe twice or thrice in a amonth, you may well imagine how much may be left at the end of the day.

so please and please exercise your right to be heard by your bank, do not take any rubbish from them (if you returned and overage and the teller did not thank you, report to his/her boss), but alos please return overages when and if you are over paid.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by angel101(f): 2:55pm On Jul 11, 2007
Zenith Bank almost alway short pays and I once got a dodgy note from Eco bank.
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by angel101(f): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2007
@omoge
I know sum1 who worked for royal mail and was paid for years after he left the organization. And no he didnt have to pay back. It was their loss. The payment just stopped one day.

@pastorking
According to ur scriptural post, ur friend must have cheated people also for that kind of misfortune to befall him. Abi?  grin
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by Gettolove(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2007
nikinash:

i'm always very interested in these kind of threads.

secondly, banks put those notices in their banking halls for a number fo reasons, first amongst which it is for you, not against you.If however you were underpaid and still left the banking hall without counting the money, you shouldn't assume that the bank will not refund. The problem with most people is that they assume a lot of wrong things. Banks in this era are all big boys, they are all looking for customers, so it is not in their interest if you go away to their competitor. The problem with paying you back such monies will be the verification that truly you were underpaid and banks have a varied number of ways through which they may ascertain that. Once they can do that, they WILL pay you back.

I think you have identified my area of dissatisfaction, i want to partially agree with you that those notices are there for customers' good
Re: If You Are Overpaid By Your Bank by ThePrince2: 8:24am On Sep 28, 2007
There was a time where I would always pay the money back.

I was told buy a Army Major, "If you are over paid, put the money in an Interest Bearing account. Then once they ask for it back return the money and keep the interest".

If it's very likely that they would not be asking for it back. Yes you can send it back. And yes your consciences (sp) would be clear or would it?

The person who over paid you will just as well be underpaying another customer, and as other have mentioned we all know the banks policy in that regard.

By paying the money back most times the tiller doe'snt show any appreciation of the fact that her\his job may have been on the line so it's unlikely that they would have learned from that lesson.

Secondly, by paying the money back, you are keeping in employment a incompetent employee who is a hazard to the Bank that is keeping your money.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Buy Bitcoins, Selling Perfect Money, Neteller And Solid Trustpay / Register Your Company In Kigali Rwanda & Get A Bank Account In 7-10 / Extra income of #5,250 daily & Give out #1,750 to your Broker Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.