Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team (2427 Views)

Jonathan’s Campaign Team Trapped In Maiduguri / My Horrible Experience During GEJ Campaign In Abia State. / Jonathan Decries The Use Of Social Media To Cause Anarchy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by naijangel7(f): 11:23am On Mar 23, 2011
The Politics of "Our Time"
by eLDee on Wednesday, 23 March 2011 at 01:08

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150113896423148

“Integrity requires three steps: discerning what is right and what is wrong; acting on what you have discerned, even at personal cost; and saying openly that you are acting on your understanding of right from wrong." – Stephen L Carter

Months ago, before the 2011 voter registration exercise began in Nigeria some of us were very excited as we saw this as an opportunity to effect the much-needed change in our country. I geared up and began non-partisan campaigns aimed at youths in Nigeria to ensure that they register, vote, and protect their votes. I spent at least four to six hours everyday campaigning on social network platforms, TV/Radio, and print media. My team and I did everything we could from explaining the process, to following people on twitter who posted pictures of their registration cards, to giving away cellphone airtime and even went as far as helping local INEC officials with some of the technical difficulties they faced at the commencement of the registration exercise. We are currently working on an incidence reporting initiative to help curb election malpractices. What's in it for me you might ask, like I tell everyone who has asked me, some of us just really believe in a better Nigeria. If I have the resources to make change, I wont hesitate to put it towards just that. I am Nigerian, I have a daughter who is Nigerian and I would love to see my daughter raised in this country. I am a true patriot and I have consistently promoted the idea that the Nigerian situation can and should improve with the right leadership.

During the voters’ registration campaign, I got together with a few friends and colleagues of mine to discuss ways to increase youth participation in the democratic process of our country using our music platform. During one of those discussions, we came up with the idea to have multiple concerts across the country, which would only be accessed by registered voters. It felt like a great idea because with this initiative, we could all join forces and get more attention from our intended demographic. Household names such as PSquare, D’banj, eLDee, Tuface, MI, Banky W, Naeto C, Sound Sultan, Timaya, Wizkid, Duncan Mighty and the likes, would easily fill up arenas in any city so why not have a free concert that people can only be a part of if they present their voters registration card.  To the best of my knowledge, we came up with a tag called “Our time” for the concert series. In order to avoid the initiative being politicized, we agreed to raise funds through non-partisan means alone.

We put little resources together and quickly shot TV commercials since there were only a few days left of the voter registration period. The commercials were immediately published on TV/Internet and it generated a good amount of attention. At the end of the voter registration period, there was overwhelming evidence of the success of the initiative and we all looked forward to entertaining our registered voter fans at the concert series.

Fast forward to March 17, 2011. I am watching television and I see a commercial that looked just like the one we shot for our campaign. It was indeed footage from our voter registration initiative commercial, however this version was manipulated to suit a different purpose. The new edit describes a free concert featuring D’banj, Tuface, MI, eLDee, PSquare, BankyW, Duncan Mighty, Wizkid and others, which supposedly holds in Abuja on March 25, 2011 and totally omits our voter registration campaign initiative. The advert now ends with a different tagline, “supported by Our Time Group, Youths rising up for GEJ.” I immediately had a cold feeling of shock, betrayal, deceit, and misrepresentation because this was the exact opposite of what we created the initiative for. Now I was being touted as a representative of the youth in support of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign. What’s even more interesting is that Silverbird TV ran this new advert before and after the Dbanj interview with Goodluck Jonathan, as if it were part and parcel of that GEJ campaign initiative. I called all parties involved to express my disapproval and disgust at how anyone would take such an innocent initiative and manipulate it to misrepresent the interest and support of the youth. To my dismay, another slap in the face came in the form of a full-page newspaper advert in The Vanguard of March 22, 2011 with my picture, among others artists, advertising the same GEJ Presidential campaign concert.

It is sad and indeed worrying that people continue to take advantage of good intentions and initiatives for selfish and corrupt purposes. I use this medium to make public that I have never, and even more so now will never be a part of any campaign for President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, therefore please do not expect me to be at the supposed concert. Let me be clear, I have nothing against the supposed concert and its participants; I just prefer to be consulted about such a manipulation of interest beforehand. I have never received any money or gift of any kind from any member or supporter of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign or any presidential campaign for that matter, neither have I volunteered my services in support of any such campaign. I’ll be glad to announce if and when I do but until then, I don’t appreciate my image and likeness being exploited for political purposes without my consent.

Here’s a link to the original “Our time” initiative: http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/02/04/dbanj-headlines-our-time-initiative-concert-series-to-inspire-youth-to-register-and-vote/

Here’s the new advert as displayed in the vanguard newspapers: http://plixi.com/photos/original/85832692

eLDee
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Gbawe: 11:38am On Mar 23, 2011
Eldee, just present yourself to Ima Niboro and you will be 'settled' handsomely . shebi oil still dey flow yafun-yafun. Not so?

It is sad and indeed worrying that people continue to take advantage of good intentions and initiatives for selfish and corrupt purposes. I use this medium to make public that I have never, and even more so now will never be a part of any campaign for President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, therefore please do not expect me to be at the supposed concert.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by naijangel7(f): 11:40am On Mar 23, 2011
It felt like a great idea because with this initiative, we could all join forces and get more attention from our intended demographic. Household names such as PSquare, D’banj, eLDee, Tuface, MI, Banky W, Naeto C, Sound Sultan, Timaya, Wizkid, Duncan Mighty and the likes, would easily fill up arenas in any city so why not have a free concert that people can only be a part of if they present their voters registration card.To the best of my knowledge, we came up with a tag called “Our time” for the concert series. In order to avoid the initiative being politicized, we agreed to raise funds through non-partisan means alone.
We put little resources together and quickly shot TV commercials since there were only a few days left of the voter registration period. The commercials were immediately published on TV/Internet and it generated a good amount of attention. At the end of the voter registration period, there was overwhelming evidence of the success of the initiative and we all looked forward to entertaining our registered voter fans at the concert series.

Fast forward to March 17, 2011. I am watching television and I see a commercial that looked just like the one we shot for our campaign. It was indeed footage from our voter registration initiative commercial, however this version was manipulated to suit a different purpose. The new edit describes a free concert featuring D’banj, Tuface, MI, eLDee, PSquare, BankyW, Duncan Mighty, Wizkid and others, which supposedly holds in Abuja on March 25, 2011 and totally omits our voter registration campaign initiative. The advert now ends with a different tagline, “supported by Our Time Group, Youths rising up for GEJ.” I immediately had a cold feeling of shock, betrayal, deceit, and misrepresentation because this was the exact opposite of what we created the initiative for. Now I was being touted as a representative of the youth in support of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign.

I'm really shocked and sad about how they've turned his and his co-artistes' good initiative and hardwork around for their own purposes. What a shame.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Gbawe: 11:48am On Mar 23, 2011
naijangel7:

I'm really shocked and sad about how they've turned his and his co-artistes' good initiative and hardwork around for their own purposes. What a shame.

The truth is that Jonathan is a cynical opportunist. Those that surround him (Anenih et al) are precisely the same . Together , they are ready to take advantage of evything and everyone to get 4 years for GEJ. 4 years to loot Nigeria dry with.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by naijangel7(f): 11:51am On Mar 23, 2011

Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Pataki: 11:53am On Mar 23, 2011
Good move Eldee.

You have won my admiration and support. If sincere Nigerians as you can come out and identify with the true reality of Nigerian youth, surely there is still hope for our nation. Unlike that agama scapegoat of our time who for the love of money would sell his soul to the nefarious agent of despondent and corrupt politics in Nigeria.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by blacksta(m): 11:59am On Mar 23, 2011
GEJ A man who lacks ideas who simply latches on other people ideas like a blood sucking parasite  -  The time for Nigerians to wake up and exterminate this parasite is now once and for all.  The Records of 12 years of failure is glaring for all to see.  Sometimes it is hard to spot the difference between PDP and Gadaffi both have decided to destroy their respective countries.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by yiboboy: 12:21pm On Mar 23, 2011
Hmnnnnnnnnn, strong statement. GEJ might just end up incurring the wrath of the so-called 'youth' he's trying to woo.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 23, 2011
If this really happened am sure Dbanj and the rest did not inform the presidents campaign team that Eldee was not on board, they must have felt the need to cut off the initiator of the project to get more for themselves. Dbanj this is so low. If the campaign team was aware and went ahead, am so so disappointed. Usually when you come up with such an idea the first question you are asked is if the idea is original and if it is a collaborative effort. to sell this kind of idea, the campaign team you are selling it to must be sure that they will not get sued for copy right infringement. This is really disappointing.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Beaf: 12:23pm On Mar 23, 2011
damas11111:

This is a sign of desperation of the highest order. Where is Beaf the f.o.o.l to come and defend another indefensible by his paymaster.

GEJ/PDP are bunch of eediots.

Of course, Aisha2 wouldn't have seen this post to ban you. She just merrily added to the posts.

In the meantime, there is also a thread that is a thinly veiled attack on my person and breaks NL rules here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-629619.0.html

Mod is around, but "fails" to see it.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 23, 2011
Beaf:

Of course, Aisha2 wouldn't have seen this post to ban you. She just merrily added to the posts.

In the meantime, there is also a thread that is a thinly veiled attack on my person and breaks NL rules here:

Sorry Beaf really did not see it. I have ddeleted the comment
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by naijangel7(f): 12:35pm On Mar 23, 2011
aisha2:

If this really happened am sure Dbanj and the rest did not inform the presidents campaign team that Eldee was not on board, they must have felt the need to cut off the initiator of the project to get more for themselves. Dbanj this is so low. If the campaign team was aware and went ahead, am so so disappointed. Usually when you come up with such an idea the first question you are asked is if the idea is original and if it is a collaborative effort. to sell this kind of idea, the campaign team you are selling it to must be sure that they will not get sued for copy right infringement. This is really disappointing.

I really believe that GEJ isn't getting sound advice on how to go about getting the votes of the youths. His campaign team's blunders will end up working against him.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2011
naijangel7:

I really believe that GEJ isn't getting sound advice on how to go about getting the votes of the youths. His campaign team's blunders will end up working against him.
My sister, this is really unfortunate, they could get sued for this blunder. I will be doubly disappointed if someone in his campaign team approved this manipulation. Dbanj on the other hand is juts totally greedy and cunning. He is a musician how will he feel if he writes a song and brings someone to collabo and the person goes and realeases the song as his own. Really sad
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 23, 2011
Beaf:

I can only remove the foul languages and insults cannot close the thread. In the last weeks me and my co moderator have been subject to worse scrutiny. There is nothing against the forum rules in that thread, the only thing i see wrong is the use of foul language which i am going to work on.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1026.0.html
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by carmelily: 12:46pm On Mar 23, 2011
WOW  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Wat a disgrace. I hope El Dee doesn't take this lying down. Someone has to be held accountable.Disgraceful, indeed. This should be on home page so that people can be aware and boycott the shameful concert mscheeeeeeeeew angry
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by proudly9ja(m): 12:47pm On Mar 23, 2011
eLDee should simply sue but Il understand if he doesn't. I want to assume these artistes are like brothers so for them to stab another on his back shows how desperate some of them are for money. Dbanj slowly wrecking his reputation.

Kudos to eLDee, abeg continue to 'yarn'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXjwTC7cKM
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by proudly9ja(m): 12:48pm On Mar 23, 2011
carmelily:

WOW  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Wat a disgrace. I hope El Dee doesn't take this lying down. Someone has to be held accountable.Disgraceful, indeed. This should be on home page so that people can be aware and boycott the shameful concert mscheeeeeeeeew angry

Nope, attend the concert and stone them all off the stage. That should send a message.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Pataki: 12:50pm On Mar 23, 2011
proudly9ja:

Nope, attend the concert and stone them all off the stage. That should send a message.
grin cheesy grin
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by johnie: 12:51pm On Mar 23, 2011
proudly9ja:

LWKMD
grin
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by johnie: 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2011
Kudos to El-dee for speaking out and so eloquently too.

cool
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Pataki: 1:25pm On Mar 23, 2011
@ moderator,

Thanks for unlocking the thread.

I was beginning to wonder why the thread deserves to be locked. But anyways, never mind.
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 23, 2011
Pataki:

@ moderator,

Thanks for unlocking the thread.

I was beginning to wonder why the thread deserves to be locked. But anyways, never mind.
You cannot open another thread for a topic which already exists, i reopened it because hers was first, and i cant close the other one because its front page
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nuesbab: 2:32pm On Mar 23, 2011
GEJ is a opportunist and he is ready to use anybody and anything to actualize his ambition. does name like OGD strike any cord
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by debest1(m): 2:52pm On Mar 23, 2011
Nuesbab:

GEJ is a opportunist and he is ready to use anybody and anything to actualize his ambition. does name like OGD strike any cord

all politicians are opportunist, take Tunde Bakare for example; he spent the past 10 years slagging off the RCCG and pastor Adeboye; now election time is round the corner he comes out to the press to say he sought his approval before accepeting Buhari's offer. The fact of the matter is politiicans are obsequious creatures
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Jarus(m): 2:56pm On Mar 23, 2011
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by yummy001: 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2011
We need more musicians like ELDEE who will stand up to these vultures looting Nigeria to stupor.Big ups man!
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Demdem(m): 4:02pm On Mar 23, 2011
aisha2:

I can only remove the foul languages and insults cannot close the thread. In the last weeks me and my co moderator have been subject to worse scrutiny. There is nothing against the forum rules in that thread, the only thing i see wrong is the use of foul language which i am going to work on.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1026.0.html

emmn, Aisha just a question, what of if the "foul" language is exactly what the person in question is? One should be sincere u know undecided
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 23, 2011
Demdem:

emmn, Aisha just a question, what of if the "foul" language is exactly what the person in question is? One should be sincere u know undecided
Foul language is foul language, can we not interact without insults?
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by violent(m): 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2011
aisha2:

unfortunately, we can't.  The number of ídiots we have around is quite overwhelming.

Even site admin couldn't hold back the outburst!

Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
violent:

unfortunately, we can't.  The number of ídiots we have around is quite overwhelming.

Even site admin couldn't hold back the outburst!
No comment
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Demdem(m): 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
aisha2:

so how do we get rid of idiots in our midst? since your own way (banning and unbanning) is simplyly not working
Re: El-dee Decries the Manipulative Use of his Name By GEJ Campaign Team by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2011
Demdem:

so how do we get rid of idiots in our midst? since your own way (banning and unbanning) is simplyly not working
It is a community, you have to learn to accommodate diverse people with diverse views. Every one has an opinion and we should learn to respect that no matter how different they are from ours.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photonews: Adebayo Alao-akala Arraigned For Money Laundering In Ibadan / ACN Leaders Sold Out Ribadu’s Presidential Ambition For N16bn — ACN Chieftain Fr / Fashola's Lekki Road Scam Increased To N=25 Billion From Initial N=7 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.