Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. (31230 Views)

Breaking News: The Female Trekker Of GEJ To Join Her Partner Tommorow[see PICS] / State Of Railway During Buhari's Time - / The 7 Characteristics Of An Eagle And Why They Are Lessons For Good Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by exx(m): 10:30am On Mar 24, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin

LLOVING THIS THREAD

Want to know though, how long does it take by road from lagos to ibadan
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by maclatunji: 10:37am On Mar 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

7.5 hours from Lagos to Ibadan?  undecided 4 hours from Lagos to Abeokuta?

Toooo slow  sad sad sad
More blessing!

Are we progressing or regressing? If you are a Parent/Guardian and know that your child/ward used to be 1st in his class of 50 before, would you celebrate if he moved from position 25 to 21. If you would not, then do not celebrate this mediocrity we are seeing.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Pharoh: 10:42am On Mar 24, 2011
otokx:

They are facing difficulties because of the politicians; take for instance the one near me. How can you award such a high technology and expensive project to a company owned by a former soldier named Anthony Ukpo? He was a former military ad i suppose. The project seems to have run underground now; it appears of course that government may not have released funds now they want to get another company from South Africa to take it over and convert it to a public private partnership.

Do you guys know the billions that been sunk there? The whole thing is fast becoming another TINAPA

What you described above is true and it cuts across all parties in Nigeria and not only pdp. The case of tinapa and the mono rail projects will not work quickly because of the problems identified in the link below.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5685070-146/railway_act_may_stall_enugu_mono-rail.csp

Our problems goes beyond corruption and we should try to see the big picture sometimes.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by RichieTayo1(m): 10:50am On Mar 24, 2011
texazzpete:

See shameless people trying to allocate everything to GEJ.
Why shout down Kobojunkie? If this was Yar'Adua's baby you must give credit to where it is due. This is how adverts I see on TV these days are giving GEJ credit for the Amnesty programme that was effected under his predecessor. Na wa o!

Nigerians will always be slaves because they are easily satisfied with crumbs. These crumbs from the poisonous PDP cannot sate our call for accountability and good governance!

When some of you grow up and start paying taxes you will learn to demand more from your leaders.

Many thanks. U capture my opinion.

In addition, with all his western educatn n exposure, he believes Nigerians don't deserve d standard guage railway with faster, safer n more decent coaches. These ones he has thrown in our faces belong to d museum in developed countries and will surely rot away soon. That justifies why he won't do d right thing.

Nigerian political office holders! Nigerian political office holders!! Nigerian political office holders!!! U're eating the inheritance of your children, U're there4 cursed with a curse: May U never have peace. May destruction come upon all your possessions and all the loot U gather will be consumed by the devourer in the midst of your days! Ravenous cankerworms will eat you up and your remnant shall have no respite from the scavengers. Amen!!!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by RichieTayo1(m): 10:50am On Mar 24, 2011
texazzpete:

See shameless people trying to allocate everything to GEJ.
Why shout down Kobojunkie? If this was Yar'Adua's baby you must give credit to where it is due. This is how adverts I see on TV these days are giving GEJ credit for the Amnesty programme that was effected under his predecessor. Na wa o!

Nigerians will always be slaves because they are easily satisfied with crumbs. These crumbs from the poisonous PDP cannot sate our call for accountability and good governance!

When some of you grow up and start paying taxes you will learn to demand more from your leaders.

Many thanks. U capture my opinion.

In addition, with all his western educatn n exposure, he believes Nigerians don't deserve d standard guage railway with faster, safer n more decent coaches. These ones he has thrown in our faces belong to d museum in developed countries and will surely rot away soon. That justifies why he won't do d right thing.

Nigerian political office holders! Nigerian political office holders!! Nigerian political office holders!!! U're eating the inheritance of your children, U're there4 cursed with a curse: May U never have peace. May destruction come upon all your possessions and all the loot U gather will be consumed by the devourer in the midst of your days! Ravenous cankerworms will eat you up and your remnant shall have no respite from the scavengers. Amen!!!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Eziachi: 10:57am On Mar 24, 2011
Jen33:

Justcash wrote:

My theory is that PDP have been around long enough, and chopped money long enough to now say ok, let's get down to work. This is why we need them to stay on. The last thing we need is a fresh set of empty pockets waiting to be filled. Those ones will simply put a halt to all ongoing projects, begin to ''probe'' this or that person or project, all just so they can renegotiate/resign contracts and start new projects that they can chop from.

So please let PDP stay on biko!  undecided

So your theory  is that a student that failed his degree papers three times because he refused to work hard, then on the 4th attempt, the the lecturer will just award him first class honours because he has been around long enough? after  a decade of PDP misrule your great wisdom isto reward to with another 4 years. Great!

When people complained about their govt, I always telll them that their govt is part of whom you are. You  guess the average psyche of most Nigeria by looking at their governments.
Always adopt the attitude of wait an see When it comes to their promises and their latst 3D gimmick of how their promises looks like.

The same people jubilating ten yearsago as OBJ was promising them 24hrs of power supply with a hefty 16 billion dollars to back it up. needed to be asked today: where is the light and the money?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by texazzpete(m): 11:14am On Mar 24, 2011
johnie:

Can one of those who want us to believe that everything is perfect outside Nigeria, particularly the US of A, please explain to this man why a pothole almost swallowed his vehicle considering the fact that he pays his tax!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/cleveland-wews-20910953/superior-sinkhole-24635312;_ylt=AihCpR00GaKFe3I3jQ257Liz174F;_ylu=X3oDMTExYnUzOTZvBHBvcwMyNQRzZWMDY2xpcHMEc2xrA3N1cGVyaW9yc2luaw--

Okay, now I get it.

It is the PDP/ACN government or the Nigerian governor/mayor that has 'chopped' the money along with the nigerian contractor who constructed the road.

cheesy grin

Funny, its is the same Ohio where those locomotives came from!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYK2ROrFazU

grin grin

Please try and provide intelligent analogies next time. Even your link shows the state apologizing and providing some financial compensation from vehicle damage from potholes.
Until you can show this in place from our leaders in Nigeria, kindly STFU.

While you're at it, show us where anyone claimed things in any country outside Nigeria are 'Perfect'. You made up your own question and proceeded to answer it. Is that logical behaviour?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by emekagh(m): 11:15am On Mar 24, 2011
Kudos to the GEJ team. Revitalising the rail transport is one of the biggest achievement of his just over one year administration as substantial president of Nigeria. Along with his power sector reform,  gas master plan, and perhaps on-coming signing of FOI and PIB bills as laws. Nigeria under President GEJ is destined for greater height. Pride is finally coming back to the battered Nigerians.

With all his imperfections GEJ is a good administrator, he has done well. He deserve our support!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Abayomin70(m): 11:16am On Mar 24, 2011
nice one but too slow
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by texazzpete(m): 11:17am On Mar 24, 2011
Jen33:

My theory is that PDP have been around long enough, and chopped money long enough to now say ok, let's get down to work. This is why we need them to stay on. The last thing we need is a fresh set of empty pockets waiting to be filled. Those ones will simply put a halt to all ongoing projects, begin to ''probe'' this or that person or project, all just so they can renegotiate/resign contracts and start new projects that they can chop from.

So please let PDP stay on biko!  undecided

Please tell me this is a joke!!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On Mar 24, 2011
emeka_gh:

Kudos to the GEJ team. Revitalising the rail transport is one of the biggest achievement of his just over one year administration as substantial president of Nigeria. Along with his power sector reform,  gas master plan, and perhaps on-coming signing of FOI and PIB bills as laws. Nigeria under President GEJ is destined for greater height. Pride is finally coming back to the battered Nigerians.

With all his imperfections GEJ is a good administrator, he has done well. He deserve our support!

Since you clearly rely on hyperbole to praise GEJ (and since you aren't constrained by something as trivial as the truth), let me give you some more things to attribute to GEJ

1. Good weather
2. Absence of Tsunami and Earthquakes (Under GEJ's leadership Nigeria has not recorded any earthquake or tsunami. up GEJ)
3. Good Nigerian music
4. No air disaster in Nigeria
5. Appointment of a Nigerian as Super Eagles coach grin
6. Brought Facebook and Twitter to Nigerians.
7. Made MTN drop BIS to 3k monthly.

Up GEJ!!!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by JaaizTech: 11:24am On Mar 24, 2011
Ozin:

Yeah I totally agree with you,we should do away with all expired and outdated stuff like even the dictator BUHARI!!!

Even though this little achievement is worthy of commendation; but we must also come to terms with current trends; building a modern train system isn't an illusion or an impossible task . Lagos is already on the track. And see what they are planning,
www.nairaland.com/attachments/411219_2_jpg156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b
www.nairaland.com/attachments/411220_3_jpg799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9
www.nairaland.com/attachments/411218_1_jpgf3ccdd27d2000e3f9255a7e3e2c48800

and work has already started:
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by JaaizTech: 11:29am On Mar 24, 2011
emeka_gh:

Definitely, this has nothing to do with GEJ's last one year of Governance. If He deserves any praise, it should be for not stopping the project or for not using the whole money for the Project for campaign. Anyways I heard Yar'adua had already released the major sum of money for the Project before his demise, perhaps that is why GEJ couldn't divert the money for campaign (@ about 400,000 naira per jingle; it would take Jonathan a very little time to exhaust the money).
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by logica(m): 11:36am On Mar 24, 2011
beeman80:

My dear how is someone with very good will suposed to perform amidst very corrupt people?You can never know how hard it is until u get there.Yar adua meant well.
Please. Didn't he get there because of the support from these corrupt people in the 1st place? How can you be incorrigible when you propped up by corrupt people (who love you because you are like Plasticine in their hands)?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 24, 2011
Jonathan is working, vote wisely!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by seguno2: 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2011
JaaizTech:

Definitely, this has nothing to do with GEJ's last one year of Governance.

and then this

If He deserves any praise, it should be for not stopping the project or for not using the whole money for the Project for campaign. Anyways I heard Yar'adua had already released the major sum of money for the Project before his demise, perhaps that is why GEJ couldn't divert the money for campaign (@ about 400,000 naira per jingle; it would take Jonathan a very little time to exhaust the money).

are you so confused or just being plain silly
do you how many times since the 1970s money has been pumped into the railways with Indians, Chinese, Americans without any success
Jonathan is a quiet, hardworking, consesus building person who does not order and command unnecessarily like the khaki boys- active or retired. Yet he, Jonathan continues to deliver, slow & steady.
What we need now is someone who can deepen our democracy and increase the democratic space so that more credible people can participate to replace teh thugs and crooks in ALL the political parties currently.
Btw, did you know that one of ethnocentric General Muhamadu Buhari's first task after overthrowing the democratically elected government of Shagari was to stop the Lagos metro line project of Jakande  sad
And he threw baba kekere, Jakande into jail while keeping his brother, Shehu Shagari in house arrest. Alex Ekwueme who was Shagari's VP was also jailed by the hypocrite dictatorshocked  shocked
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by RichieTayo1(m): 12:18pm On Mar 24, 2011
exx:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

LLOVING THIS THREAD

Want to know though, how long does it take by road from lagos to ibadan

7½ short hours. And U know what, GEJ is working, Nigeria is working (I'm laughing, hio hio hio hioo!!)
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by emekagh(m): 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2011
JaaizTech:

Definitely, this has nothing to do with GEJ's last one year of Governance. If He deserves any praise, it should be for not stopping the project or for not using the whole money for the Project for campaign. Anyways I heard Yar'adua had already released the major sum of money for the Project before his demise, perhaps that is why GEJ couldn't divert the money for campaign (@ about 400,000 naira per jingle; it would take Jonathan a very little time to exhaust the money).

So you admit then that GEJ could have simply suspended the project, institute a probe panel that will spend some billions of Naira to find the project fraudulent?

Then he will spend another two - three years to consult with experts before re-awarding the contract for a 22nd century railway system with futuristic design, with a 25 years delivery deadline?

Come on pple, lets give kudos to deserving people. It doesn't hurt.

GEJ deserves and should take credit for this.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
^^^

Exactly what we will see if we vote in BB or Ribadu. back to square one. They will cancel all IPP projects and begin to build their coal powered plants.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 1:14pm On Mar 24, 2011
Richie Tayo:

7½ short hours. And U know what, GEJ is working, Nigeria is working (I'm laughing, hio hio hio hioo!!)

Have you heard of something called a "voyage" - LOL
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by ideylaff: 2:37pm On Mar 24, 2011

[b]@ texazzpete , GOD Bless you , u have spoken.  Maiden Voyage, (aka Lets shakara dem (mumu electorates b4 election) and everybody is prasing here and there.

Whats needed is just a pat on the back and saying well done, please do more, finish the job off etc,

unlike what we normally do calling Atilogu dancers to see a bore hole or hospital bn opened by a Governor, or new tractors bn bought wtih the Governor driving/riding it 4 d cameras, lol

IF I MAY ASK WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE MEANT TO BE DOING BEFORE, CHOPPING MONEY OR DELIVERING A SERVICE TO THE PEOPLE WHO ENTRUSTED THEIR MANDATE IN THEIR HANDS, 

Thats how we went celebrating MMA2. .that had no business plan put into it, all just because it looked new, everybody was jumping, you build a new Airport terminal but you do not expand the roads that lead to it, WHICK KIND COUNTRY BE THIS,

MMA2 is just a massive box nothing more, but to most Nigeria, na BaBa Airport, issssh,

I dont celebrate mediocrity, Naaaaaa. Kobojunkie thumbs up to you, well done ojare, keep talking[/b]
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Mar 24, 2011
I have to repost this here cause it really captures what is going on . , .

Bawss1:

[size=14pt]Hasn't it been already stated that this project was initiated by the late Yaradua? Now team GEJ arrives to steal the glory. How convenient.[/size]
  grin grin grin

It is really funny how these very same folks here, when asked why Jonathan has yet to achieve much in his 12 years in Government, on other threads, are quick to say things like  "He has only been president for 10 months" or "He has learnt from his past failures" Or "You don't expect the man to rush into things(even after 12 months o)" lol .

But here these same are, [b]STEALING THE glory from a dead man, [/b]so they can GLORIFY the same man for which they had ready made excuses for, before now. Sad really!!
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 3:26pm On Mar 24, 2011
OMG!!!! Which 20th century museum were those trains stolen from? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2011
I honestly can't believe that all that money was wasted in purchasing old slow, noisy trains. What were they thinking?? shocked shocked undecided angry angry shocked
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by ideylaff: 4:15pm On Mar 24, 2011
Just reminds me of Ajaokuta,

The Russians said they showed them the real deal Machines/Equipments and Nigeria said, can we have not the real deal Machines/Equipments at the price of the Real deal machines, 

The Rest is History, years down the line we are still doing all these rubbish with what is meant to serve a purpose for us all, I don tire , my people,

If we did it well Mittal would not have bn able to even try us not to talk of buying the wreckage called Ajaokuta cheaply,  Soineless Idiots our Leaders are, especially the so called Technocrats, na so so seminar, senimar seminar, no action.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by AjanleKoko: 4:24pm On Mar 24, 2011
Didn't know Kobojunkie was an expert on railway matters. Is he/she working in some yard somewhere?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by ideylaff: 4:36pm On Mar 24, 2011

@ seguno2

@ emeka_gh

@ Beaf

@ Enugu_Ukwu

please can u all Stop D'banjing 2 everything GEJ, Open and Shine your eyes well well.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2011
Why can't the Government allow private entrepreneurs to buy trains and run on the existing tracks. Its similar to how we have private transporters like Chisco, ABC, Ekene Dili Chukwu running buses on public roads. Or how private airlines like Arik, Dana, Air Nigeria are running using public airports.

Why does the NRC have to be a monopoly . We all know how inept and corrupt monopolies like Nigeria Airways and Nitel used to be until they were forced to face competition from private firms.  Now Railway Corporation is offering us decades old and slow locomotives because there is no alternative to them. angry angry

The industry should be liberalized to let private investors bring world class service to Nigerians that we will pay for!!. I suspect that would be the death knell to the mismanaged NRC like it did for Nitel and Nigeria Airways.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by verse316(m): 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2011
My dear forumite,
something is lacking in our psyche? positive mentality. This negative tendency is in the life of more people. The reason is that our leader has given us sign from the sky that they are there to enrich there own pocket at the detriment of the nation. Once this is erased, Nigeria will be a better place to live in. What will make the Railway work is the prayer of everybody in which ever way we know how to do it. We should endeavor to paint the country in a good image. The spiritual control the physical. So let everyone which the Railway well and it shall be well. Short and simple
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by ektbear: 5:03pm On Mar 24, 2011
[quote="Kobojunkie"]
But here these same are, STEALING THE glory from a dead man, so they can GLORIFY the same man for which they had ready made excuses for, before now. Sad really!!
[/quote]

Lol, when you put it like that. . . is stealing from the dead taboo?  grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 5:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
naijangel 7 said:

I honestly can't believe that all that money was wasted in purchasing old slow, noisy trains. What were they thinking?

Shut up and return to the celebrity/fashion section where you belong. Failing which, at least get on the damn train first on a regular journey as opposed to a maiden/trial voyage, before jumping to your dull-brained, mascara pasted face conclusions.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Mar 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol, when you put it like that. . . is stealing from the dead taboo?  grin grin grin

You would think it would be to the same bunch of goons who as soon as Yar adua was declared death, did an about turn and decided he was an intelligent, and meek and honest man who was deceived for 12 years into doing nothing for Nigerians, but for himself, stealing from the dead would also be considered a no no.

Reminds me of a documentary I watched of grave robbers who went out to graves to steal, while saying their hail mary's and using all sorts of talisman for protection from the spirits they were robbing. grin cheesy grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Swears-in Local Govt. Chairman, Suspends Him Minutes After / Fayose Inspects 1.2km Flyover Bridge Project In Ekiti / Soldier Reveals What Happened When They Came Under Boko Haram Ambush.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.