Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (6205 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Scarification In African Cultures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 2:49pm On Mar 23, 2011
Hallo Nairalanders,

Once in a while, we get to listen to different aspects of various cultures. Some are so shocking and bizzare,  like OMG  shocked shocked, and some are so funny to listen to.

Lets share our rich cultures. Something you have heard or experienced that just left you saying OMG,

I'll go first.

Somewhere in my mum's village, when the girls reach the age of puberty, and particularly when they see their first period, they are made to dance round the village square unclothed, and by this i mean nothing being worn on top, and then, just a little cloth to cover the private area down there. It is at that point that the men of the village are at liberty to "touch" and "press" any of the bosoms they like,  and of course put in some money in the girl's plates.

Lets share other fun cultures.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 4:00pm On Mar 23, 2011
No strange cultlures here, shocked shocked
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by obowunmi(m): 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
No one's culture is strange --- its only strange to an outsider or somewhere who doesn't understand it. undecided

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^ so by this,i take it that you understand all the African cultures then, and non seems awkward? undecided
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by obowunmi(m): 6:28pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^^^^ i don't understand all but i'm saying its only awkward to an outsider.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 8:27pm On Mar 23, 2011
oh well,i guess we are saying the same thing then.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:45pm On Mar 23, 2011
nanidee:

Hallo Nairalanders,

Once in a while, we get to listen to different aspects of various cultures. Some are so shocking and bizzare,  like OMG  shocked shocked, and some are so funny to listen to.

Lets share our rich cultures. Something you have heard or experienced that just left you saying OMG,

I'll go first.

Somewhere in my mum's village, when the girls reach the age of puberty, and particularly when they see their first period, they are made to dance round the village square unclothed, and by this i mean nothing being worn on top, and then, just a little cloth to cover the private area down there. It is at that point that the men of the village are at liberty to "touch" and "press" any of the bosoms they like,  and of course put in some money in the girl's plates.

What culture is this?

This is truly bizarre.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 9:27pm On Mar 23, 2011
lol, i am also aware it happens in a few other cultures.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ijawgirl: 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2011
breast ironing-Cameroon~
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 2:38pm On Mar 24, 2011
^^ do you mean they have such customs as this in cameroon too?
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ijawgirl: 12:59am On Mar 25, 2011
yea they do
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Rossikk(m): 9:07am On Mar 28, 2011
@PhysicsMHD

What culture is this?

This is truly bizarre.

I think it's a beautiful custom. It speaks to a joy and innocence that seems almost from another planet in this cynical day and age.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Rossikk(m): 9:15am On Mar 28, 2011
I read that in ancient Mali, subjects on approaching the king would often kneel and sprinkle sand on their heads as a form of greeting. smiley

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 28, 2011
Rossikk:

@PhysicsMHD

I think it's a beautiful custom. It speaks to a joy and innocence that seems almost from another planet in this cynical day and age.

joy and innocence?

more like love peddling, no offence.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 4:40pm On Mar 28, 2011
nanidee:

Hallo Nairalanders,

I'll go first.

In the days of old,that was a beautiful culture that served well the purpose for which it was made.It was an avenue created for marriageable youths(male and female) under the watchful eyes of the elders to meet and choose their future life partners.No one misbehaves or goes on b00by pressing galore.
Times have changed so have the culture.
The place where something like this is practiced in Igboland ie [b]Mgbidi,[/b]the girls don't dance around unclothed.

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Seun(m): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2011
ifyalways:

In the days of old,that was a beautiful culture that served well the purpose for which it was made.It was an avenue created for marriageable youths(male and female) under the watchful eyes of the elders to meet and choose their future life partners.No one misbehaves or goes on b00by pressing galore

- Why did "marriageable" girls have to be naked when being chosen by their "life partners"?
- Is a girl who just saw her first period really "marriageable"?
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 2:21pm On Mar 30, 2011
Seun:

- Why did "marriageable" girls have to be unclothed when being chosen by their "life partners"?
- Is a girl who just saw her first period really "marriageable"?
My bad,I did not see the Unclad part before I quoted her.
Well,where I know,The girls don't go around Unclad,they are attired with native beads and wrappers.
Yes,then,a girl who just saw her first period is ripe and ready for marriage.

It worked for them.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by hornyimam: 7:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
Human rituals by ibos.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 1:48am On Mar 31, 2011
nanidee:

Hallo Nairalanders,

Once in a while, we get to listen to different aspects of various cultures. Some are so shocking and bizzare, like OMG shocked shocked, and some are so funny to listen to.

I'll go first.

Somewhere in my mum's village, when the girls reach the age of puberty, and particularly when they see their first period, they are made to dance round the village square unclothed, and by this i mean nothing being worn on top, and then, just a little cloth to cover the private area down there. It is at that point that the men of the village are at liberty to "touch" and "press" any of the bosoms they like, and of course put in some money in the girl's plates.

@OP CHEI!!i neva hear dat1 imagine violation!! shocked cheesy
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 1:51am On Mar 31, 2011
ifyalways:

My bad,I did not see the Unclad part before I quoted her.
Well,where I know,The girls don't go around Unclad,they are attired with native beads and wrappers.
Yes, then,a girl who just saw her first period is ripe and ready for marriage.

It worked for them.
Ripe because she saw her period?ripe for offspring?i mean what are we really saying about culture there na wa ooo.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 9:35am On Mar 31, 2011
Pweety4me:

Ripe because she saw her period?ripe for offspring?i mean what are we really saying about culture there na wa ooo.
You choose a part of my statement and start bickering over it ?
Did your eyes miss out on the time?You can try turning back the hands of time anyway to get an answer or debate.
That post was a response to Seunsmiley
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by obowunmi(m): 3:20pm On Mar 31, 2011
ifyalways:

Did your eyes miss out on the time?You can try turning back the hands of time anyway to get an answer or debate.

Ify, don't mind the ugry winch. kiss kiss
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 8:29pm On Apr 01, 2011
ifyalways:

Nobody is bickering about anything, it is an open forum & any1 is aloud to reply or comment on wateva they choose, i am not blind i can see that u quoted seun & also can see that u are speaking on the topic, so stop having a bitchy fit ok!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 8:09am On Apr 02, 2011
Pweety4me:

Nobody is bickering about anything, it is an open forum & any1 is aloud to reply or comment on wateva they choose, i am not blind i can see that u quoted seun & also can see that u are speaking on the topic, so stop having a bitchy fit ok!
Mu he he
It still flew over your head?Wud u ever get it?Do i have to break it down AGAIN?
Look,I don't engage b1tches,Walk it!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 12:58am On Apr 03, 2011
*sigh*

She's such a kid! undecided

When some1 doesn't agree with your points she is automatically labelled a biatch. . .phew we do ave a lot of kids on board!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by 25omega(m): 2:29am On Apr 03, 2011
a culture i expirience which was strange to me because from what i know it is taboo was in Gambia where first cousins marry each other with no issue. it is some what expected. if you brother has a daugther and you have a son they link them for marriage at a later date.

i also found it strange that on the wedding night elders have to be in the room when the bride and groom consumate their marriage so they can prove that the woman is a virgin when they see blood. until i went to gambia i had never heard or seen that before
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 10:39am On Apr 04, 2011
Pweety4me:

*sigh*

She's such a kid! undecided

When some1 doesn't agree with your points she is automatically labelled a biatch. . .phew we do ave a lot of kids on board!

Ouch embarassed
Grown child [/b]please use ur eyes before you agree or disagree with me,a bat wud have most definitely seen the [b]THEN preceding that reply.
25omega:

a culture i expirience which was strange to me because from what i know it is taboo was in Gambia where first cousins marry each other with no issue. it is some what expected. if you brother has a daugther and you have a son they link them for marriage at a later date.

i also found it strange that on the wedding night elders have to be in the room when the bride and groom consumate their marriage so they can prove that the woman is a virgin when they see blood. until i went to gambia i had never heard or seen that before
@Bolded,You not kidding? shocked
How in the world can u do that ish with not 1 but 2 or more folks watching and waiting?
I've watched a Yoruba movie with relatives of the groom waiting and eavesdropping from the window,don't know if that is how its done NOW but atleast even that one is far much better.
BTW,First cousins are permitted to marry in some parts of Guinea Conakry and some other African countries.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 04, 2011
I've watched a Yoruba movie with relatives of the groom waiting and eavesdropping from the window

na wa for yoruba busybody. undecided

whatever happened to the white cloth they gave couples back in the day. That worked better than a photograph or even video,imo.

it's like what was referred to in roscoe jenkins, when all the relatives were busy eavesdropping so they could hear others making love.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 4:16pm On Apr 04, 2011
^
It was just a movie .Not saying it is done that way real life.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 1:26am On Apr 05, 2011
ifyalways:

Ouch embarassed
Grown child [/b]please use your eyes before you agree or disagree with me,a bat wud have most definitely seen the [b]THEN preceding that reply.

O be quiet lil Arrow, na u create the culture?saying 'girls' are ready for marriage when they see their period?wat arrant nonsense!

Even a kid knows better than the trash coming out from your head?butt or is there even a BRAIN there?hisss.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 10:02am On Apr 05, 2011
^^See this thing oooh  cheesy
Dirrrrrry unwashed douchebag with basic comprehension skills feeling funky,for real?  cheesy
You went to do [i]copy and paste [/i]for moi? How in the world wud u know the meaning of Arrow when u can't [i]grasp tenses [/i]used in a sentence ni?
ROFL.
Mu he he
Lobotomy for super duper 1diots like you is free now,grab it while its available.In a couple of years from now,after u must have had your thick air-filled skull arranged,you wud come back  to this very thread to thank MEgrin

Run along dolt and Remain blessed in your profound mental reeeetardation.  kiss
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by armyofone(m): 3:56pm On Apr 05, 2011
very huge tribal marks on face

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Family Of Late Oba Of Benin Are Tenants In The Kingdom-ogiamen Family / 10 Striking Differences Between Nigeria And Ghana / Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.