Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:59 AM

Scarification In African Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Scarification In African Cultures (7026 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
Scarification is one of the most important practice in african traditions. According to ethnic groups, they differs in designs and meanings.
Scarification allows to identify easily an individual's ethnic group.

Do your people practice scarification? What are their designs and what do they symbolize?

I know the Yoruba and Hausa scarify, do other people in Nigeria do it as well? It ain't as popular as it used to be in the past, but in villages people still practice it.

I will be back later and post pics from different ethnic groups across the continent that do such practice.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
smiley
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2013
yes we still do it. I am scarified and im proud of it.

2 Likes

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by JallowBah(f): 6:24pm On Jan 29, 2013
Some in my husbands family still do it.

Three stripes on each side of the eye, or a line straight down on the forehead.
Some of the elders also have some v-lines on the chest/front of the shoulders, and patterns on the chin.
Put they, most of the time, put coal in it, so it is a scarification/tattoo. ( On some the color stays, on others, only the scar. )

And they should be damn proud of it.

2 Likes

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by ifyalways(f): 1:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
Some parts of Igbo land still do though theirs are not so big and pronounced on the face. One or two tiny lines beside the eyes or cheek

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
yes we still do it. I am scarified and im proud of it.

that's cool smiley
what part of nigeria are you from?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 30, 2013
JallowBah: Some in my husbands family still do it.

Three stripes on each side of the eye, or a line straight down on the forehead.
Some of the elders also have some v-lines on the chest/front of the shoulders, and patterns on the chin.
Put they, most of the time, put coal in it, so it is a scarification/tattoo. ( On some the color stays, on others, only the scar. )

And they should be damn proud of it.

quite interesting smiley
from what ethnic group is he from?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
ifyalways: Some parts of Igbo land still do though theirs are not so big and pronounced on the face. One or two tiny lines beside the eyes or cheek

ifyaaa cheesy cheesy
how are u doin dear?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Sybellah:

that's cool smiley
what part of nigeria are you from?

North. Im from Kano, though we my dads side is actually from Gumel.

We are Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Sybellah:

quite interesting smiley

he is Fulani.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by ifyalways(f): 9:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
Sybellah:

ifyaaa cheesy cheesy
how are u doin dear?
I'm fine, cherie.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by pak: 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2013
THIS SHOULD BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY....

Of what benefit is such practice in this time and age ?

I marvel at Africa, our inability to know what to promote, what values to follow and what cultural practices should be abolished.

It might be understandable if someone in the 18th century blasts his child's face with tribal marks but in this age, how in this world will that be of any benefit to that child ?

And in some cases (many cases actually), children with tribal marks end up being susceptible to inferiority complex on the account of their looks.

Please anybody planning to scarify his child face should please refrain. When the child is old enough, if he's so much in love with marks on his body, he'll simply get a tattoo

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by JallowBah(f): 1:46am On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

quite interesting smiley

Fulani.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 3:40am On Jan 31, 2013
pak: THIS SHOULD BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY....

I marvel at Africa, our inability to know what to promote, what values to follow and what cultural practices should be abolished.

It might be understandable if someone in the 18th century blasts his child's face with tribal marks but in this age, how in this world will that be of any benefit to that child ?

And in some cases (many cases actually), children with tribal marks end up being susceptible to inferiority complex on the account of their looks.

Please anybody planning to scarify his child face should please refrain. When the child is old enough, if he's so much in love with marks on his body, he'll simply get a tattoo
shut up who the mess you think you are?

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 31, 2013
We don't have this in my ethnicity to identify people,but you can have some for medical purpose. On your back(lower-back). I won't tell more and yes I do have them and they are small. cool cool
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by JallowBah(f): 4:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: We don't have this in my ethnicity to identify people,but you can have some for medical purpose. On your back(lower-back). I won't tell more and yes I do have them and they are small. cool cool

I heard about this before, but I have not seen any myself, at least not that I know of.
They have this for other parts of the body too, right?

I think that if I saw it, and did not know what it was, I would probably just think it was a normal scar, nothing to it.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: We don't have this in my ethnicity to identify people,but you can have some for medical purpose. On your back(lower-back). I won't tell more and yes I do have them and they are small. cool cool

In my ethnic group as well we do have it. It a small horizontal line just on top of the cheek
They do it a few month after birth and usually put some herbs on it till it heals

I did not did not find any pic from there, i am still lookin so this is what it looks like
usually it's just on 1 cheek tho

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2013

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
pak: THIS SHOULD BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY....

please shut the hell up! you dont understand these matters! angry angry angry angry

I will disown anyone in my family who doesnt have tribal marks. the children in our people dont hav a problem with it , so why should you have?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

In my ethnic group as well we do have it. It a small horizontal line just on top of the cheek
They do it a few month after birth and usually put some herbs on it till it heals

I did not did not find any pic from there, i am still lookin so this is what it looks like

what is your tribe?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what is your tribe?

i am Baoule (Bawule) smiley

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:38pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

i am Baoule (Bawule) smiley

very good! so you are Akan. . smiley

do you follow Baoule religion?
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

very good! so you are Akan. . smiley

do you follow Baoule religion?

embarassed no
we lost our souls in colonization
most Baoule u ll find are catholic now
and people that practice any form of traditional religion
is considered as a witch
People still follow their tradition but not in the spiritual way sad
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what is your tribe?
beautiful

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7038/6923303837_1bb 15918d7_z.jpg[/img]
beautiful. Tho m not sure If I will like it on my face. Esp the big ones
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
JallowBah:

I heard about this before, but I have not seen any myself, at least not that I know of.
They have this for other parts of the body too, right?

I think that if I saw it, and did not know what it was, I would probably just think it was a normal scar, nothing to it.
probably. I really don't know like I said we don't have this automatically ,It's not a common practice, I use to b very sick when I was younger, this is how I got them,It's a ritual.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

embarassed no
we lost our souls in colonization
most Baoule u ll find are catholic now
and people that practice any form of traditional religion
is considered as a witch
People still follow their tradition but not in the spiritual way sad

that sucks. hopefully well change that in the future years.

for now, start calling the Creator Force/ Creator God as Alouroua. do the same in the church as well if you go. that is the 1st step.

there are many other Gods (amuen) such as Asie, etc. .

ofcourse, i understand that the wider Akan religion is more advanced than the Baoule version.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by JallowBah(f): 9:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: probably. I really don't know like I said we don't have this automatically ,It's not a common practice, I use to b very sick when I was younger, this is how I got them,It's a ritual.

Could you explain more about it?
Is this something they do for any kind of sickness, or only a few? Any part of the body?
Never heard of it, and it is interesting.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

that sucks. hopefully well change that in the future years.

for now, start calling the Creator Force/ Creator God as Alouroua. do the same in the church as well if you go. that is the 1st step.

there are many other Gods (amuen) such as Asie, etc. .

ofcourse, i understand that the wider Akan religion is more advanced than the Baoule version.

Who is Alouroua We call God: Niamien (O'Niamien)
Akan is comprised of different ethnic groups, so i don't think that there is such a thing like a wider Akan religion, even though Akan ethnic groups are usually monotheist.

1 Like

Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
@jallowbah I will explain later.
U want to see them? grin cool
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sybellah:

Who is Alouroua We call God: Niamien (O'Niamien)
Akan is comprised of different ethnic groups, so i don't think that there is such a thing like a wider Akan religion, even though Akan ethnic groups are usually monotheist.
most African culture are monotheist, but they have spiritual forces. Check well I'm pretty sure you have a spirit that you worshipped during war, another when someone is pregnant or getting married.
Re: Scarification In African Cultures by JallowBah(f): 12:32am On Feb 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @jallowbah I will explain later.
U want to see them? grin cool

Haha, if you took a picture and posted it, trust me, I would be damn happy!

I have said it before; always been fascinated with tribal marks and tats..it`s a way of beauty I truly find attractive, I don`t know why. Always been like that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

That's A Nigerian? How Can You Tell? / The Timbuktu Manuscripts / Igbo Groups Of The South South ............the Etche People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.