Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. (1000 Views)

Allen Roundabout Wears New Look (Photos) / The Untapped Islands in Akwa Ibom State....photos / The Fish Statue At Abraham Adesanya Roundabout Lagos, Removed (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. by Jerryjasper(m): 1:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
Faroe Islands: Inside the under-sea tunnel network
Published14 hours ago
The Faroe Islands are set to open an under-sea roundabout following more than three years of construction.

The underwater tunnels connect the islands of Streymoy and Eysturoy in a network some 6.8 miles (11km) long. The network is scheduled to open on 19 December.

The tunnel network will come as a relief to residents, cutting down the travel time between the capital Tórshavn and Runavík, from an hour and 14 minutes to just 16 minutes.

A view of the roundabout
IMAGE COPYRIGHTESTUNLAR.FO
The lowest point of the tunnel network is 187 metres (613ft) below sea level.

An overview of the location of the tunnels
In order to ensure the safety of those using the tunnel, the steepest incline is no more than a 5% gradient, the company behind the tunnels confirmed.

The entrance of one of the tunnels
A test-run involving emergency services is scheduled for 17 December, according to local media.

Lights illuminate the roundabout in the middle of the tunnel network
The roundabout in the middle of the network will contain artwork by Faroese artist Trondur Patursson. The art will comprise of sculptures and light effects.

A worker paints road markings inside the tunnel
Those using the tunnels will be required to pay a toll fee. Local.fo, a Faroese news website, reports that passenger cars will have to pay 75 Danish Krona (£9.10) one way.

Locals can sign up to a subscription which makes it cheaper.

The entrance to one of the tunnels
According to contractors NCC, the tunnels are the biggest infrastructure investment ever made on the Faroe Islands.

An inside view of the tunnel
Another tunnel is currently under construction, connecting the islands of Sandoy and Streymoy.

The Faroe Islands, a series of 18 islets in the North Atlantic located halfway between Iceland and Norway, constitute an autonomous region of Denmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0AYaRcfbU

Re: Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
OP have you been to Anambra?
Re: Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. by Jerryjasper(m): 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2020
Mabizela:
OP have you been to Anambra?
. No i have not oh but I would love to
Re: Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 1:59pm On Dec 05, 2020
In one million years
Re: Inside The Faroe Islands "Undersea Roundabout" When Will Nigeria Be Like This. by Jerryjasper(m): 6:15pm On Dec 05, 2020
Ikillbrokehoes:
In one million years
���� i laugh in Hebrew

(1) (Reply)

“I Had To Strip To Pay My Sister’s Rent”- Abroad Life / As Student Presently Studying In Uk Is It Advisable To Seek For Asylum / BREAKING: Federal Government Shuts Lagos International Airport For Eight Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.