Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? (9158 Views)

‘We Make Arms Locally’ – IPOB Replies Presidency On Arms Allegation / Pyrates Confraternity Calls For Emergence Of New Nation Builders In Nigeria / Question: Why Can't We Campaign For One Of These Younger Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
Every day you hear about another building collapse in Nigeria. This happens because it is too expensive to build a cement foundation that will be strong enough to sustain the weight of a multi-story cement building. Instead of using expensive Dangote cement, Nigerian builders should learn to work with wood or clay bricks like builders do in the United States and Europe.

Wood and clay are plentiful natural material that don't need to be imported. These materials are also significantly lighter than cement, which reduces the strain on the foundation and also enables more elegant designs. Wood also lasts just as long as cement, regardless of tropical climate. Below, you will see pictures of wooden/clay brick buildings in Nigeria that have lasted for over 100 years while the cement buildings collapse. Nigerians need to learn how to use brains to solve problems or Africa will always be the laughing stock of the world.

The brazilian houses of lagos have lasted for over 100 years, despite being constructed of wood and clay bricks.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Hoelujohn: 2:32pm On Dec 05, 2020
grin
Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by MajesticKris: 2:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
Depends on the part of Nigeria you reside..cus I've seen house's build WITH grin

ZINK,
WOOD,
CLAY AND BAMBOO grin

14 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:43pm On Dec 05, 2020
MajesticKris:
Depends on the part of Nigeria you reside..cus I've seen house's build WITH grin

ZINK,
WOOD,
CLAY AND BAMBOO grin
Tribal village houses, yes. But i'm talking about real multi-story buildings. Africans refuse to adapt our traditional building styles to solve modern challenges.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by ojun50(m): 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2020
Them stupid na only make milk person them dey sabi
Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Ladylite: 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2020
Aconomist:
Every day you hear about another building collapse in Nigeria. This happens because it is too expensive to build a cement foundation that will be strong enough to sustain the weight of a multi-story cement building. Instead of using expensive Dangote cement, Nigerian builders should learn to work with wood or clay bricks like builders do in the United States and Europe.

Wood and clay are plentiful natural material that don't need to be imported. These materials are also significantly lighter than cement, which reduces the strain on the foundation and also enables more elegant designs. Wood also lasts just as long as cement, regardless of tropical climate. Below, you will see pictures of wooden/clay brick buildings in Nigeria that have lasted for over 100 years while the cement buildings collapse. Nigerians need to learn how to use brains to solve problems or Africa will always be the laughing stock of the world.

The brazilian houses of lagos have lasted for over 100 years, despite being constructed of wood and clay bricks.

It's like you don't know that fire can engulf wood.

Climate is different, so also cost of living is different...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by waldigit: 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2020
Hoelujohn:
grin
Where are the woods? They have gone into almost extinction. Timber felling in reminant forest reserve now being rationed, wood is getting closer to steel now in terms of cost weight for weight. I just completed High pitch roofing of a modern designed roof for 3 bedroom in Lagos now with close to 400k only on woods alone.
We don't have private investment in forestry. The existing stock majorly owned by government is being depleted.
We need good government that understand National development planning.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by kb83(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2020
Our educational system has indoctrinated us that concrete block built houses are the best, however the same people who gave us the education are doing something different in Europe, Nigeria let's wake up. Even our forefathers that built houses with mud never had the problem of building collapse, in fact most of their houses lasted for decades.just like, my friend above said, clay brick houses and wooden houses are the best,Way forward is, we need to restructure our housing and building policy.

14 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2020
Wetin dem sabi before
Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:51pm On Dec 05, 2020
Ladylite:

Are you planning to set fire in your house?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2020
Ladylite:

Blacks are scare of fire, while Europeans are building entire cities of wood with no fear. Is Nigeria only country go get fire? Fear is the enemy of progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4QYkEpw9pA

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:57pm On Dec 05, 2020
This wooden building in Japan stood for over 1,000 years with no fire. But Nigerians are scared to use wood? Monkey people

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2020

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by GreyLaw(m): 3:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
Aconomist:
This wooden building in Japan stood for over 1,000 years with no fire. But Nigerians are scared to use wood? Money people

You are playing the ostrich and it leaves a bad taste. Comparing the Japanese or any other Western nation with Nigeria shows someone who has decided not to look at all the facts on ground.

Nigeria is NOT a United country and at this rate, won't be for the next 100 years. Everybody is afraid of his next neighbour and next tribe. Violence comes easy to Nigerians. The government is unaccountable to anybody. They are gods to themselves.

That Japanese house you just posted, if a certain Mr. Tinubu builds it, the next #endSARS protest they will burn it to the ground with just a single matchstick and sprinkles of petrol. Or, build it as a private individual and most of the touts and thieves will see it as a beautiful target for thievery.

Beautiful house, but sorry, Nigerians are not ready for progress yet.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
Keep yarning dust. I just dey observe

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Blue3k(m): 3:16pm On Dec 05, 2020
There's no market demand for such house. If there was you'd be selling them making money instead of ranting. People generally prefer concrete because it more durable. Wood is more likely to be damaged by fire, moisture and termites.

WoundedLamb:
Meanwhile, who are "Nigerian builders"?

I sincerely do not understand. Why do peopl come online to criticize imaginary Nigerians? OP, aren't you Nigerian? Tell your engineer/architect you want to use wood for your own house and they'd gladly do that for you. Or is there a law prohibiting you from doing that?

This logical comment needs to be on page one. Seriously anyone who want to sell or build bricks, wood or clay is free to do so in the market. Only a mumu would sit around ranting online instead offering their cheaper services to individuals, firms and government agencies who are interested in buildings. If you're right out go make your billions while the rest are asleep to the idea.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by nku5: 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2020
I like wood. Very classy and beautiful but I have heard people say that using it for construction is expensive and environmentally unsustainable

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Kondomatic(m): 4:06pm On Dec 05, 2020
MajesticKris:

ZINK,
WOOD,
CLAY AND BAMBOO grin
Even grass and clay

5 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by kunle75(m): 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
waldigit:

Where are the woods? They have gone into almost extinction. Timber felling in reminant forest reserve now being rationed, wood is getting closer to steel now in terms of cost weight for weight. I just completed High pitch roofing of a modern designed roof for 3 bedroom in Lagos now with close to 400k only on woods alone.
We don't have private investment in forestry. The existing stock majorly owned by government is being depleted.
We need good government that understand National development planning.

You sound very knowledgeable, please lets talk.

Drop me your digits I will reach out to you

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by RenaissanceGuy: 4:28pm On Dec 05, 2020
I was thinking of this recently. Dangote should channel that his ₦100bn funds for the police this way: 90% of Nigerian police stations should be pulled down and rebuilt with red bricks. There wouldn't be any need to paint them with those fake paints and the buildings won't be having cracks within a few months.

8 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Tunde835(m): 4:33pm On Dec 05, 2020
GreyLaw:

You are playing the ostrich and it leaves a bad taste. Comparing the Japanese or any other Western nation with Nigeria shows someone who has decided not to look at all the facts on ground.

Nigeria is NOT a United country and at this rate, won't be for the next 100 years. Everybody is afraid of his next neighbour and next tribe. Violence comes easy to Nigerians. The government is unaccountable to anybody. They are gods to themselves.

That Japanese house you just posted, if a certain Mr. Tinubu builds it, the next #endSARS protest they will burn it to the ground with just a single matchstick and sprinkles of petrol. Or, build it as a private individual and most of the touts and thieves will see it as a beautif house, but sorry, Nigerians are not ready for progress yet.
Since wen is building a house with wood seen as progress, i think our cement and block houses look perfect as they ar. Do u think they build tall buildings and skyscrapers built with wood
Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by officialfestus(m): 4:42pm On Dec 05, 2020
Use wood and invite thieves

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Firstorderwizard(m): 4:44pm On Dec 05, 2020
The brown roof dwellers need to switch to thatched roof if they can't afford quality aluminium roofing sheets.
Brown roof is a disgrace to Africa undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 4:52pm On Dec 05, 2020
Tunde835:
Since wen is building a house with wood seen as progress, i think our cement and block houses look perfect as they ar. Do u think they build tall buildings and skyscrapers built with wood

They do. Look at what they have built in Europe. Wood buildings are better because there is less stress on the foundation, which means they won't collapse. Typically, in the U.S. and Europe they use concrete for the foundation and wood or red brick for the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd06dYjWWs4

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2020
Firstorderwizard:
The brown roof dwellers need to switch to thatched roof if they can't afford quality aluminium roofing sheets.
Brown roof is a disgrace to Africa undecided
I agree. Our cities look so horrible with all those horrible rusting roofs. It's humiliating to be African right now.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 4:55pm On Dec 05, 2020
Oyibo have developed a 2 story single family home for $8,000 -- that is only 3 million naira. Nigerian builders are you listening? Where can you find a pretty house like this in Nigeria for 3 million? Clay brick is cheaper and better looking than this horrible cement nonsense you are building. Use brain!

Go to 1:25 to see the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IYUjVnJMvs

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 4:58pm On Dec 05, 2020
look how common Rwanda is developing systems to make housing cheap and affordable while our monkey builders in Nigeria are stagnant. Weep for Nigeria. No brains in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2a9A8pjDJE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2020
Common Ghana, that we used to look down on, is using pounded earth buildings that are cheap and affordable. Nigerian builders are you listening?

Go to 2:47 to see the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-d_9-uXLNA

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by EzzyCarter: 5:05pm On Dec 05, 2020
Indeed, OP I'm impressed by your reasoning. I've always wondered the same thing but one thing I have noticed is Nigerians are always scared of deviating from the status quo /norm and trying something new no matter how better an option it is. Thinking outside the box isn't a strong point with Nigerians lol.
I can still remember when Gas Cylinders/Cookers was becoming gradually popular, lotsa peeps swore not to use it in spite of its glaring edge in terms of convenience over the Kersosne stove cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Aconomist: 5:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Introvertmemer(m): 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2020
Those who said a wood house would catch fire, never heard of flame retardant spray or paint for wood?.

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Builders Stupid? Why Can't We Make Houses With Bricks Or Wood? by Les: 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story / LPWC Fixing Navy Town Road (pictures) / Makurdi Local Government Workers Protest 13-Month Unpaid Salaries (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.