Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story (9165 Views)

Ex-minister “threatens” Nigerian Journalist Over Report / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / Policemen Molest Female Journalist Over Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
Enugu Govt Gestapo Tactics - How SSS Agents Held Me Hostage At Home – Punchman

viva the gestapo

http://www.punchng.com/news/how-sss-agents-held-me-hostage-at-home-punchman/

Security operatives in Enugu State apprehended and held hostage the correspondent of The PUNCH in the state, Ozioma Ubabukoh, on Saturday. In this interview Ubabukoh recalled his experience in the hands of the security operatives

Men claiming to be from the State Security Service waylaid you on Saturday, what actually happened?

I was on my way home, about a quarter past 11pm, when seven men accosted me. As I drove into the close – Corporation Boulevard – where I live in Trans-Ekulu area of Enugu State, they blocked my car, thereby preventing me from moving further. Before I could ask what the matter was they asked me to open the doors of my car or they would get violent. I obeyed and two of them jumped into the car while the rest walked away.

They told me not to be scared and[b] that they wanted to ensure I would not write any story that night (Saturday) concerning the rumour of Governor Sullivan Chime’s death. They ordered me to drive into the compound and warned that I shouldn’t scream or they would get tough with me[/b]. They subsequently seized my BlackBerry and gave me the sim card.

They took me to my apartment where they ransacked my room and took away my laptop.

They told me they would wait at the staircase and leave at 3am, but would return my BB and laptop before doing so. They turned down my request to get water downstairs. They were still at the staircase when I contacted newsroom in Lagos, using my MTN sim card on an old Nokia phone. I was also able to reach out to some colleagues through my Visafone line.

What amazed me, however, was that the men knew I was reaching out to people. However, they warned me not to “try anything funny,” or they would deal “ruthlessly” with me. Shortly before 12.30am, they came in to tell me they were leaving but would return at 3am with my “property.” I was in suspense because I knew there was no way they would return since the contact door downstairs would be locked as well as the main gate.

Did they eventually return your BlackBerry and laptop?

They did. When I waited till 4am and there was no electricity supply, I went downstairs and switched on the generator. Not long after, I started charging my phones, someone called me with a hidden number to tell me that my BB and laptop were under my car. I hurried downstairs and indeed, found the phone and laptop under the car. The things were very dusty and the battery of the laptop had run down – they had obviously searched my documents.

You said one of them called you. Did you give them your phone number?

I didn’t give any of them my phone number. They never asked for it. How they got my phone number was yet another mystery.

Was there any proof from them to show that they were indeed from the SSS?

There was no proof. Before they came upstairs, I had inquired to know who they were. The taller of the two said they were from the State Security Service. I then asked for their identity cards, but he became angry, saying, “All the stories that you have been writing about the governor in Enugu, have you ever asked for peoples’ ID cards? You don’t ask for ID cards when you are doing your job, so allow me to do my job.”

When you first encountered them at the entrance of your close, why didn’t you attempt to reverse?

I almost did, but I couldn’t because the entrance to the close is very sloppy. Attempting to reverse would have caused an accident, or worsened the situation.

Would you recognise any of them?

Their command of the English language was impeccable. They wore mostly long sleeve T-shirts, jeans trousers, dark goggles, snickers to match and looked very neat. However, I have not come across any of them in the past. Well, I think I can recognise the huge, tall one who led the operation to my room. He is also a dark-skinned man.

Why do you think you were the only journalist that was harassed in Enugu State that fateful day?

The state government had earlier accused me of being vocal over Governor Sullivan Chime’s health status. The government in the past sponsored advertorials (October 18) on two national dailies against me, this was shortly after I broke the story on the governor’s health and his continuous absence from the state on October 14.

Was any other journalist harassed after Saturday’s incident?

No. No other journalist has been harassed since then.

this is what nigeria has come to = and this is the govt of the governor some noise-makers are celebrating - thugs in the mould of abachas henchmen

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Igwe9(m): 8:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
oyb: viva the gestapo

http://www.punchng.com/news/how-sss-agents-held-me-hostage-at-home-punchman/

this is what nigeria has come to = and this is the govt of the governor some noise-makers are celebrating - thugs in the mould of abachas henchmen
Atleast nobody was hurt neither were they sent by the Governor, he was simply stopped from carrying the usually headline that could cause a pregnant woman her baby.

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by adconline(m): 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2012
[quote author=Igwe.]
Atleast nobody was hurt neither were they sent by the Governor, he was simply stopped from carrying the usually headline that could cause a pregnant woman her baby.[/quotee
What an arrogant display of idiocy!
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
Bump
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 1:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
Foolish and incompetent SSS.
It would have been better to devote that time spent in the journalist's house to search for the marked notes given to facrook which they still havent seen till date.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Odunnu: 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem: Foolish and incompetent SSS.
It would have been better to devote that time spent in the journalist's house to search for the marked notes given to facrook which they still havent seen till date.
How do you know they were from SSS? How do you even know the story is real?

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by SherlockHolmes1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2012

[size=14pt]he said there was no proof they were from the SSS....so how come the story is carrying SSS agents at the title instead of unknown gunmen and how come you have drawn a conclusion already? try something i call ''thinking'' for a change.[/size]
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by PointB: 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
Detained for spreading rumors and lies, yet this journalist returned with more lies and rumors na wa.

Anyway, those gentle men who harassed Ozioma Ubabukoh apparently wore kid gloves. cheesy cheesy I don't think they are of the SSS. SSS don't work for the Enugu State government btw.

3 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Odunnu:
How do you know they were from SSS? How do you even know the story is real?

How do u know the story isnt real? what does he get to gain just to fabricate such? has he been untruthful before now?

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
Sherlock Holmes:

[size=14pt]he said there was no proof they were from the SSS....so how come the story is carrying SSS agents at the title instead of unknown gunmen and how come you have drawn a conclusion already? try something i call ''thinking'' for a change.[/size]

so basically, they are thugs from Chime's government house or just some random set of people that decides to prevent the journalist from doing his job in reporting his investigation as regards chime. Actually, me think u are daft for not being able to make use of ur brain properly.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Are people actually defending thuggery because of oga saint hitler mustache?

Na wa o

So the best we can get is," they are chime's private thugs, so its no big deal"

SMH
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Odunnu: 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

How do u know the story isnt real? what does he get to gain just to fabricate such? has he been untruthful before now?
Never heard of him until now. I'm just looking at various possibilities cheesy
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
Odunnu:
Never heard of him until now. I'm just looking at various possibilities cheesy

Possibilities like robbers, kidnappers, bullies or what exactly that sounds to be working for enugu state govt?
These actions as stated by the journalist looks like govt agents in action. Remember that nothing was eventually taken from him but was just held hostage.
The journalist has nothing to gain by being untruthful in my opinion.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by dayokanu(m): 4:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
Na wa ooooo
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Hadone(m): 4:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
IS BETTER THEY SHOULD START BRINGING SUCH UNPROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTAND THEIR MEDIA AGENCIES TO ORDER.

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by hustla242: 4:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
I really don't get it. Why is it that when a public official takes ill, it's always shrouded in so much secrecy?

Is it a crimeto be sick? undecided
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by vanstanzy(m): 4:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
I DONT UNDERSTAND OUR SSS. PUNCH REPORTED THE NEWS OF CHIMES' DEATH AS UNCONFIRMED. SO WHATS SSS' HEADACHE?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Hadone(m): 5:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
vanstanzy: I DONT UNDERSTAND OUR SSS. PUNCH REPORTED THE NEWS OF CHIMES' DEATH AS UNCONFIRMED. SO WHATS SSS' HEADACHE?

WHY THE REPORT SINCE NOT CONFIRMED?

2 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by touchmehard: 5:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
I never knew you were this daft. If you could at least google the duties of the SSS, you would have at least known that they were doing their job. As for the marked notes, what is EFCC doing?

4 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by vanstanzy(m): 5:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
Had_one:

WHY THE REPORT SINCE NOT CONFIRMED?

IT WAS CLEARLY WRITTEN, REFERRING TO CHIMES' RUMOURED DEATH AS "UNCONFIRMED", SO THIS SUDDEN TWIST, I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
LIKE SOMEONE RIGHTLY WROTE, IS IT BAD FOR ONE TO FALL ILL?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by touchmehard: 5:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
I just like the fact that they were decent and polite in the whole thing, unlike the Police.

4 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 5:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
As for me, publishing an "unconfirmed story" about someone death is the height of professional foo.lishness. Regardless of whether its SSS o not, their action were wrong. In a bid to create a name for yourself by publishing lies, many reporters unknowingly entangle themselves into what they can't come out of. Had it been in the U.S., you'll have a lot to explain to the FBI.

4 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 5:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
touch_me_hard: I never knew you were this daft. If you could at least google the duties of the SSS, you would have at least known that they were doing their job.

Fool, and what is this job those useless mofos are doing? Hindering a citizen from performing his constitutional rights shocked shocked. U are so daft.

As for the marked notes, what is EFCC doing?

shocked shocked shocked what?? so the string operation was carried out by EFCC and no longer SSS grin grin grin
How fast stories can easily change grin grin
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life: As for me, publishing an "unconfirmed story" about someone death is the height of professional foo.lishness. Regardless of whether its SSS o not, their action were wrong. In a bid to create a name for yourself by publishing lies, many reporters unknowingly entangle themselves into what they can't come out of. Had it been in the U.S., you'll have a lot to explain to the FBI.

In your us, we would not have this bs coverup and all hitler mustaches dalliances with small girls would have been tabloid fodder
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by RedLight1: 5:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

Possibilities like robbers, kidnappers, bullies or what exactly that sounds to be working for enugu state govt?
These actions as stated by the journalist looks like govt agents in action. Remember that nothing was eventually taken from him but was just held hostage.
The journalist has nothing to gain by being untruthful in my opinion.
they have a lot to gain..... journalist use to blackmail those in power that they will write negative story against them if the man didnt settle them (atleast i knew they use to do it) ... so it is possible the journalist is just yapping to gain attention and if at all something like that had happened .... how come he is the only one that they harassed? after all nobody knows him before or is he the only one with important story about chime?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
oyb:

In your us, we would not have this bs coverup and all hitler mustaches dalliances with small girls would have been tabloid fodder

You called it cover up right? That's why some people have security clearance (top secret) and reporters don't. Nigerians are not very good at keeping secrets, they need to learn covert ops 101... If you believe that secrets and coverup are not in the U.S., you have something coming for you.

Heck, I have no clue to what you're saying in the last part, speak English...
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by vislabraye(m): 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
SSS are smooth operators. I just like the way they handled the issue. Just like what we see in movies.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by hugafella(m): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

so basically, they are thugs from Chime's government house or just some random set of people that decides to prevent the journalist from doing his job in reporting his investigation as regards chime. Actually, me think u are daft for not being able to make use of ur brain properly.
Demdem or demsay, if u don't have anything to say, just keep quiet. How come he is the only one that keeps saying the man is dead, when he is alive. Is he the one who killed Chime? That guy should go get a better thing to do with his life. As for you, u sound like a very bad excuse for an advocate of libel.

2 Likes

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 5:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Red-Light:

they have a lot to gain..... journalist use to blackmail those in power to write negative story against them if the man didnt settle them (atleast i knew they use to do it)

am not doubting that at all. Am also aware of instances where citizens/corporate bodies sue erring journalists to court and claim damages. Some were even forced to retract their statements and apologize. However, this journalist in question does not have an history of such misdemeanour whatsoever so why the fear. Journalist should be free to carry out their duties without being hindered. Just like any other professions, bad eggs exist however that shouldnt mean clean ones should be prevented from doing their job.

... so it is possible the journalist is just yapping to gain attention and if at all something like that had happened .... how come he is the only him that they harassed?

Most likely because he knows what others dont know. That shouldnt be too much to decode.

after all nobody knows him before or is he the only one with important story about chime?

U dont need to know him. if he has a story and he is so sure of himself then he should get it published. if untrue or anyone seems to be affected by the story negatively if untrue then there is a process to address such. not this bullying tactic.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life: As for me, publishing an "unconfirmed story" about someone death is the height of professional foo.lishness. Regardless of whether its SSS o not, their action were wrong. In a bid to create a name for yourself by publishing lies, many reporters unknowingly entangle themselves into what they can't come out of. Had it been in the U.S., you'll have a lot to explain to the FBI.

Mr USA, How many times have reporters in the USA published news of Fidel castros death,

Earlier this year CNN told us of "unconfirmed report of Hosni Mubaraks death. I guess the professional fool.ishness extends to CNN too.

Ever since they published the report has Chime come out to deny it?

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 5:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
hugafella:
Demdem or demsay, if u don't have anything to say, just keep quiet. How come he is the only one that keeps saying the man is dead, when he is alive. Is he the one who killed Chime? That guy should go get a better thing to do with his life. As for you, u sound like a very bad excuse for an advocate of libel.

crap post like the poster itself. read the story again?

They told me not to be scared and[b] that they wanted to ensure I would not write any story that night (Saturday) concerning the rumour of Governor Sullivan Chime’s death.

The state government had earlier accused me of being vocal over Governor Sullivan Chime’s health status. The government in the past sponsored advertorials (October 18) on two national dailies against me, this was shortly after I broke the story on the governor’s health and his continuous absence from the state on October 14.

Kindly refer me to any story this journalist categorically stated that Chime is dead. Am quite sure u know the difference between a sick governor and a dead one. Those useless SSS guys were just insinuating. How on earth were they able to know what the guy will do in future or write later that evening? did they enter his mind?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ogun State Generates N15B In 10 Months For The Year 2014 / Budget Padding: Dogara, Others Must Face Panel – Police / Power Outage Will Be Experienced In Some Parts Of Lagos Today- Eko DISCO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.