Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. (939 Views)

Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? / Best Text Messaging Apps For Android / What's Your Best Text Editor For Web Development? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 7:41am On Dec 06, 2020
Wuddup web designers. So I just wanted to know which editor I should get for html,css,Js and all.....
You guys know how the editor market is grin, literally millions of editors to choose from; so I'm thinking of choosing one based on popular choice.
I'd prefer you also recommend the one you're currently using. Of course it's a Windows OS.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by fammava: 10:23am On Dec 06, 2020
VS code

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 06, 2020
fammava:
VS code
That's my most preferred choice.
z dat what u use?
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 4:07pm On Dec 06, 2020
If you love pain, notepad.
As a minimalist, sublime text.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by cixak95211: 6:36pm On Dec 06, 2020
You guys should stop mentioning notepad . . it sounds cool but is unreal
nowhere in the world is notepad using during programming as the de facto code editor, nowhere!
it is what it is, used for keeping notes, not writing codes
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 06, 2020
Karleb:

Mehn,I'm torn btw VS code and sublime text.
Don't know which to choose from.
Atom was also a top choice but I'm trying to minimize the list not maximize it.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2020
Rgade:

Mehn,I'm torn btw VS code and sublime text.
Don't know which to choose from.
Atom was also a top choice but I'm trying to minimize the list not maximize it.

Vs Code is the darling of most programmers these days.

I'd pick it ahead of any other editor out there.

But somehow, I consider it an IDE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 06, 2020
cixak95211:
You guys should stop mentioning notepad . . it sounds cool but is unreal
nowhere in the world is notepad using during programming as the de facto code editor, nowhere!
it is what it is, used for keeping notes, not writing codes
Ah ah but b4 all these shinny new softwares came out, Notepad had been used to code an uncountable number of projects grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 06, 2020
Karleb:

Vs Code is the darling of most programmers these days.

I'd pick it ahead of any other editor out there.

But somehow, I consider it an IDE.
Even the more reason to choose it nah cheesy
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 7:20pm On Dec 06, 2020
Rgade:

Even the more reason to choose it nah cheesy

Personally, I'm loyal to sublime because of it's simplicity. It has saved me lots of headaches since my return to programming.

Reason I'm not using Vs Code though is because it keeps lagging on my laptop. The laptop is 4GB RAM and 500GB ROM.

Besides, if I wanted an IDE I'd just upgrade my NetBeans.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by emmy512: 6:52am On Dec 07, 2020
Started out with brackets, but realised VS code worked better
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 07, 2020
emmy512:
Started out with brackets, but realised VS code worked better
Nice another reassuring feedback.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by fairpoint: 1:24pm On Dec 07, 2020
[s]I used Atom, it was cool, then I tried Brackets and left Atom. I loved Brackets cos it was lighter for me to start up, Atom was heavier for me. Then I tried VS Code and left the other two. As a Drupalista I was hoping to move to PhpStorm (a favorite with many Drupal devs) but when I found a few friends moving from PhpStorm to VS Code (they said it was a free - PhpStorm is commercial - opensource almost-at-par alternative), I now think I am settled on VS Code till further notice.[/s]

Posted with the wrong account.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by chikeaneke(m): 1:29pm On Dec 07, 2020
Reposting with my account now, Sorry about the mix-up.

I used Atom, it was cool, then I tried Brackets and left Atom. I loved Brackets cos it was lighter for me to start up, Atom was heavier for me. Then I tried VS Code and left the other two. As a Drupalista I was hoping to move to PhpStorm (a favorite with many Drupal devs) but when I found a few friends moving from PhpStorm to VS Code (they said it was a free - PhpStorm is commercial - opensource almost-at-par alternative), I now think I am settled on VS Code till further notice.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2020
chikeaneke:
Reposting with my account now, Sorry about the mix-up.

I used Atom, it was cool, then I tried Brackets and left Atom. I loved Brackets cos it was lighter for me to start up, Atom was heavier for me. Then I tried VS Code and left the other two. As a Drupalista I was hoping to move to PhpStorm (a favorite with many Drupal devs) but when I found a few friends moving from PhpStorm to VS Code (they said it was a free - PhpStorm is commercial - opensource almost-at-par alternative), I now think I am settled on VS Code till further notice.
I think I'm convinced now....VS it is. cheesy
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 8:40pm On Dec 07, 2020
Karleb:

Notepad is taking it to the extreme o! Notepad++ maybe. But hell no to Notepad

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 8:43pm On Dec 07, 2020
Karleb:

Personally, I'm loyal to sublime because of it's simplicity. It has saved me lots of headaches since my return to programming.

Reason I'm not using Vs Code though is because it keeps lagging on my laptop. The laptop is 4GB RAM and 500GB ROM.

Tell me more about your return to programming. Started coding in 92 or 93 on the BBC Micro. Went on coding until 2002 or 2003. Then drifted of to Linux/Unix System Admin and DB Admin. However these young guns programming these days no dey allow person drink water. Trying to refresh my knowledge of Java and PHP but it's a mental struggle

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 8:44pm On Dec 07, 2020
Rgade:

I think I'm convinced now....VS it is. cheesy

Would VS work on any Linux distro?
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2020
airsaylongcome:

Would VS work on any Linux distro?
Certainly.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 9:44pm On Dec 07, 2020
Rgade:

Certainly.

I guess that's my decision already made then. I assumed the VS prefix tied VS Code to Windoze
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 10:12pm On Dec 07, 2020
airsaylongcome:

Tell me more about your return to programming. Started coding in 92 or 93 on the BBC Micro. Went on coding until 2002 or 2003. Then drifted of to Linux/Unix System Admin and DB Admin. However these young guns programming these days no dey allow person drink water. Trying to refresh my knowledge of Java and PHP but it's a mental struggle

Ninety what? shockedshocked

If you started coding in 92 then how old am I? cheesy

It was between 2016 to 2018, I was studying a course completely different from computer science then, so I had to focus and my laptop screen was broken then.

I don't get something here, if you've been doing this since 92 then Java or PHP should be a walk in the pack for you.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 10:26pm On Dec 07, 2020
Karleb:

Ninety what? shockedshocked

If you started coding in 92 then how old am I? cheesy

It was between 2016 to 2018, I was studying a course completely different from computer science then, so I had to focus and my laptop screen was broken then.

I don't get something here, if you've been doing this since 92 then Java or PHP should be a walk in the pack for you.

So I started coding when procedural programming was the in thing. Emphasis was and subroutines. And I didn't fully understand what I was doing then. It was pure QBASIC back them. Until I got into uni in the early 2000s when I started using Pascal (and at some point OOP with C++)

Theoretically I should be able to easily learn Java and PHP but with the use of all these frameworks it's a bit of a learning curve. Even using IDEs like netbeans and eclipse na challenge. I'm from the very old school of using Notepad (at best) or VIM/Nano

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 07, 2020
airsaylongcome:

I guess that's my decision already made then. I assumed the VS prefix tied VS Code to Windoze
Nah, Microsoft was smart to make it usable across all OS.
VS code is currently #1 choice among developers this is barely 4 years after it's release.
Microsoft their money na cheat grin
They just used their billions of dollars to design the program to perfection.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by airsaylongcome: 10:43pm On Dec 07, 2020
Rgade:

VS code is currently #1 choice among developers this is barely 4 years after it's release.

Hopefully they don't try to monetise it a few years down the line

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 10:55pm On Dec 07, 2020
airsaylongcome:

So I started coding when procedural programming was the in thing. Emphasis was and subroutines. And I didn't fully understand what I was doing then. It was pure QBASIC back them. Until I got into uni in the early 2000s when I started using Pascal (and at some point OOP with C++)

Theoretically I should be able easily learn Java and PHP but with the use of all these frameworks it's a bit of a learning curve. Even using IDEs like netbeans and eclipse na challenge. I'm from the very old school of using Notepad (at best) or VIM/Nano

Vim? How do you exit vim. grin

The main difference I see between Java and PHP are: the strict types in Java and the fact that Java is OOP based.

I'd suggest you get a language agnostic book on OOP. Follow pictures and pseudo codes and understand the basics of OOP.

Then learn either of the two, PHP is easier but can be confusing compared to Java.

Leave out frameworks for now.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 11:10pm On Dec 07, 2020
Rgade:

Even though I've not used it much, Vs Code brought users satisfaction at no cost. It's just what so many developers wanted for so long.

Even very rich programmers proudly use it.

Though it's a text editor it can be easily converted to an IDE (IMO), people are now throwing away their IDE to pick up Vs Code.

I completely fell for it when one of my favorite tutor, Andre Madarang ditched Sublime for it.

Vs Code is a job well done by Microsoft.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

Even though I've not used it much, Vs Code brought users satisfaction at no cost. It's just what so many developers wanted for so long.

Even very rich programmers proudly use it.

Though it's a text editor it can be easily converted to an IDE (IMO), people are now throwing away their IDE to pick up Vs Code.

I completely fell for it when one of my favorite tutor, Andre Madarang ditched Sublime for it.

Vs Code is a job well done by Microsoft.
Apt, Microsoft always putting their money to good use.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by talk2hb1(m): 6:50am On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

Where is the new netbeans
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by Karleb(m): 6:55am On Dec 08, 2020
talk2hb1:
Where is the new netbeans
I mean I've not upgraded my NetBeans since 2016.
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by talk2hb1(m): 6:57am On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

I mean I've not upgraded my NetBeans since 2016.
Tooh,
I missed netbeans though undecided
Re: What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. by LooneyLester: 4:01pm On Dec 30, 2023
Vim any day any time

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Telegram Group Scraper Cracked / How To Sorting Tables With Vb.6 / Guides In Installing Suse 10.1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.