Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? (1085 Views)

What's The Best Text Editor For Web Dev. / My First Software: A Text Editor / What's Your Best Text Editor For Web Development? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
I switched from Vs Code to Vim, while Vim makes editing texts extremely efficient, I have realized it only increases your editing speed in theory. In practice your coding routine is the same - you stare hard at a piece of code, then make a small change, it doesn't really matter the editor you're using, or does it? Someone guys code with very advanced IDEs with shiny features, do they code faster than those using something like Vs Code? I've never used a full IDE before.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by stanliwise(m): 11:52pm On Aug 18, 2020
melodyogonna:
I switched from Vs Code to Vim, while Vim makes editing texts extremely efficient, I have realized it only increases your editing speed in theory. In practice your coding routine is the same - you stare hard at a piece of code, then make a small change, it doesn't really matter the editor you're using, or does it? Someone guys code with very advanced IDEs with shiny features, do they code faster than those using something like Vs Code? I've never used a full IDE before.
Editor matters a lot but it depends on how much you know about the editor. I saw the amazing way a guy was using notepad++ I previously dumped and I was shocked. He knew so much about many hidden functionality and was very vast about a lot of it core functionalities.
So a better gun is a better weapon but it’s true effect show when in the right hands.

As for so so much speed, if it is good enough then why much more? It is just distraction, course we would keep jumping on different editors.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 6:16am On Aug 19, 2020
stanliwise:

Editor matters a lot but it depends on how much you know about the editor. I saw the amazing way a guy was using notepad++ I previously dumped and I was shocked. He knew so much about many hidden functionality and was very vast about a lot of it core functionalities.
So a better gun is a better weapon but it’s true effect show when in the right hands.

As for so so much speed, if it is good enough then why much more? It is just distraction, course we would keep jumping on different editors.
Notepad++? Nawa.
I think this further prove that editors don't matter much, this person you're talking of will also achieve same or close speed with sublime text.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by adelove4real200: 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2020
melodyogonna:

Hello bro. I have gone through your post and I see you've got vast knowledge in programming. All I need is just mentoring from you. Please mention me with your contact number. Thanks bro.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2020
adelove4real200:

Hello bro. I have gone through your post and I see you've got vast knowledge in programming. All I need is just mentoring from you. Please mention me with your contact number. Thanks bro.
I will reply your PM
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by adelove4real200: 1:25am On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

I will reply your PM

Thanks so much bro.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Stanliwise has taken words out of my mouth. But I prefer using an IDE or editor that has GIT integration, like Sublime Text (with Sublime Merge) or VSCode... It's a beautiful workflow if you work with GIT everyday.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by cixak95211: 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
IDEs are on a different ballgame compared to editors . . Its apples to oranges.
Cos all IDEs contain text-editor as part of their functionalities i.e.
All IDEs are also text-editors; but text-editors are not IDEs
In a very professional environment, the company pays for IDE licences which are distributed to team members
and there are reasons behind that fact.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 12:07pm On Sep 07, 2020
DanTheGeek:

Stanliwise has taken words out of my mouth. But I prefer using an IDE or editor that has GIT integration, like Sublime Text (with Sublime Merge) or VSCode... It's a beautiful workflow if you work with GIT everyday.
Most Popular text editors nowadays behave more like IDEs sha. You might need to install a few plugins or extensions but you can still end with same functionality or similar
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Most Popular text editors nowadays behave more like IDEs sha. You might need to install a few plugins or extensions but you can still end with same functionality or similar

I'd go with the one with the most basic setup with most features required which is still VSCode or Sublime Text. Those are two kings in the game. Like Ronaldo and Messi.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
DanTheGeek:

I'd go with the one with the most basic setup with most features required which is still VSCode or Sublime Text. Those are two kings in the game. Like Ronaldo and Messi.

How many have you used apart from the two?
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by cixak95211: 3:10pm On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Good question
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by igboarenice: 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2020
It matters alot.
Autocompletion is sweet
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Vim, Atom, Notepad++, PHPStorm and WebStorm
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
DanTheGeek:

Vim, Atom, Notepad++, PHPStorm and WebStorm
Ah so you've used Vim? How long?

Isn't PHPstorm an IDE? Atom I agree, too buggy. Notepad++ sha, probably, good for beginners. But except for inbuilt tools to communicate with external services, there's no much difference in editing texts with each one for people that have mastered them. I dey talk about coding efficiency
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 6:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
igboarenice:
It matters alot.
Autocompletion is sweet
Is there any text editor without auto completion?
Btw I know someone who disabled them completely grin grin
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Ah so you've used Vim? How long?

Isn't PHPstorm an IDE? Atom I agree, too buggy. Notepad++ sha, probably, good for beginners. But except for inbuilt tools to communicate with external services, there's no much difference in editing texts with each one for people that have mastered them. I dey talk about coding efficiency

I used Vim for a couple of months before abandoning it. PHPStorm is an IDE, I've used IDE's and normal editors and out of all of them I still prefer VSCode and Sublime Text. For coding efficiency, it doesn't matter what particular IDE or editor you use, because if you can't speed type then you're not gonna be very efficient. Just use what makes you smile.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2020
DanTheGeek:

I used Vim for a couple of months before abandoning it. PHPStorm is an IDE, I've used IDE's and normal editors and out of all of them I still prefer VSCode and Sublime Text. For coding efficiency, it doesn't matter what particular IDE or editor you use, because if you can't speed type then you're not gonna be very efficient. Just use what makes you smile.
I've been using Vim for a few months now, seriously I regret not finding it earlier.

Yup! That's my point grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by igboarenice: 9:15pm On Sep 07, 2020
melodyogonna:

Is there any text editor without auto completion?
Btw I know someone who disabled them completely grin grin
There is o
In some IDE you have to download extension to have access to it.
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2020
igboarenice:

There is o
In some IDE you have to download extension to have access to it.
Yup, in most text editors that's how it works, but IDEs has them built-in
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by igboarenice: 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2020
melodyogonna:

Yup, in most text editors that's how it works, but IDEs has them built-in
Some IDEs don't have it built in. Jupyter notebook for instance.
It need hinterland as extension to work
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by melodyogonna(m): 6:49pm On Sep 09, 2020
igboarenice:

Some IDEs don't have it built in. Jupyter notebook for instance.
It need hinterland as extension to work
Pycharm has Jupyter support by default no?
Re: Does Your Choice Of Text Editor Matter? by cixak95211: 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2020
melodyogonna:

Pycharm has Jupyter support by default no?

It does !

(1) (Reply)

Today Is 13th Of June,my Web Development Journey / Experienced React Developers Needed / Your Advise For This Two Laptops?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.