Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,658 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:20 AM

You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil (2878 Views)

Imo state:Produces Oil Below Capacity / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by alex101(m): 1:00am On Mar 24, 2011
@ post/OP,

Oil will become irrelevant very soon. cool Most cars of the later half of the 21st century will run on mostly electricity and biofuel, as we currently have in Brazil.

Even most tractor trailers/18-wheelers will be fully powered by compressed gas, which the US has in large quantity/reserve.

The industries that will depend on oil (at a considerable level) will be the airline industry and 'military industrial complex'. Of course, the latter will only need it in huge amount when there is a major conflict.

So my friends, the 'party' will be over sooner than later. cool
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by ektbear: 1:04am On Mar 24, 2011
@alex101:  grin grin grin

I realize the importance of oil to the economy, man. Especially in a pre-industrial country like Nigeria.

Otoh, if someone tells me that 20% of those oil reserves are in Yorubaland (either offshore or onshore. . .   ) then the game changes. 400K barrels of oil per day is enough for me. . . especially when you combine that with Lagos port revenues that go to the federal government, VAT money, and the possibility of additional minining of resources like gold and bitumen.

I don't want to leave Nigeria unless it is done on a firm financial footing.

alex101:

@ post/OP,

Oil will become irrelevant very soon. cool Most cars of the later half of the 21st century will run on mostly electricity and biofuel, as we currently have in Brazil.
Biofuel is just a replacement for oil. And unless you want to wipe out the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, there is only so much of it you'll be able to produce. Not to mention how it raises the cost of basic foodstuffs, thus placing a lot of pressure on poor people.

Regarding electric cars. . . have you tried to buy one before?  undecided They are way too expensive compared to the gas equivalent, even with US federal and state subsidies available. I bought a car in 2007, ended up just buying the ordinary version rather than the hybrid.
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by alex101(m): 1:17am On Mar 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

@alex101: grin grin grin

I realize the importance of oil to the economy, man. Especially in a pre-industrial country like Nigeria.

Otoh, if someone tells me that 20% of those oil reserves are in Yorubaland (either offshore or onshore. . . ) then the game changes. 400K barrels of oil per day is enough for me. . . especially when you combine that with Lagos port revenues that go to the federal government, VAT money, and the possibility of additional minining of resources like gold and bitumen.

I don't want to leave Nigeria unless it is done on a firm financial footing.[/b]Biofuel is just a replacement for oil. And unless you want to wipe out the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, there is only so much of it you'll be able to produce. Not to mention how it raises the cost of basic foodstuffs, thus placing a lot of pressure on poor people.
[b]
Regarding electric cars. . . have you tried to buy one before?
undecided They are way too expensive compared to the gas equivalent, even with US federal and state subsidies available. I bought a car in 2007, ended up just buying the ordinary version rather than the hybrid.

@ 1st bolded, since you don't want to leave nigeria, will you in any 'form, shape, or capacity' help those like say Ijaw that desire to leave? grin
@ 2nd bolded, regarding electric cars, I know they are expensive at the moment, but in the later part of this century-say 2030, they will be affordable by everybody that wants one cool
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by ektbear: 1:24am On Mar 24, 2011
@OP: Let's gbadun this oil until the SW is industrialized. At that point, we can re-evaluate our options. Timing is very important. Now is not the time. 15 to 30 years from now, things might be different.

alex101:

@ 1st bolded, since you don't want to leave nigeria, will you in any 'form, shape, or capacity' help those like say Ijaw that desire to leave? grin
For a price. Nothing comes for free on this planet. And it shouldn't be hard to guess what that price will be  grin

@ 2nd bolded, regarding electric cars, I know they are expensive at the moment, but in the later part of this century-say 2030, they will be affordable by everybody that wants one cool
Nah, I'm pretty skeptical. They said the same thing about solar energy and artificial intelligence 30 years ago. Neither really panned out.

The fundamental constraint is the energy density of batteries. There are probably just some physical limitations on how efficient a batter can be. This means you need a big battery. . . which are expensive and raise the costs of everything.

So unless there is some revolution in battery technology, I don't think they'll make economic sense for a long time.

Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Gasoline is at 46.4 MJ/kg, Batteries are at like 3.6 MJ/kg. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I think you'll need far better batteries to make electric car technology practical.
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by Kilode1: 1:28am On Mar 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

Honestly, we don't need such divisive topics; it serves no purpose.

Ilaje is one of the first Yoruba sub-groups; Oduduwa met the Ugbo (Ilaje) at Ife.

Thank you for saving me the trouble jare.
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by sbeezy8: 1:31am On Mar 24, 2011
Im actually Laughing because poster is not yoruba anyway!

Any omo yoruba would not say Swamp considering Ogun waterside,parts of Ijebu are pretty swampy and as Ikale,Okiti pupa and Ilaje also MANY part of Lagos have swamps.

I doubt the Poster is yoruba anyway, Yoruba dont talk like that atleast not the sensible ones.

Nothing in his post even makes sense, atleast when yorubas post they have a point in arguing. Unlike the poster
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by sbeezy8: 1:40am On Mar 24, 2011
The topic is sooo DUMB I myself im like i mean what was the point?

thats why I dont think its a yoruba person, most have betta thing to talk about esp the issue of calling that ONE Ijaw Local government a swamp as if Ilaje,Okiti pupa, Ikale etc arent also swampy.

Any REAL YORUBA WOULD KNO THAT.
Re: You Stupid Ijaws Should Keep Your Oil. Ondo State Produces Oil And Thats The Oil by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 25, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin
@OP- didnt i warn you? you indded committed NL suicide

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Angry Over Oba's Action / Why Is There No Albino In The Nigerian Armed Forces? / Buhari Spits Fire!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.