Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,952 members, 7,828,344 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals (3595 Views)

Ugezu: Money Rules Religion. Bishops Don't Anchor Funerals, Weddings Of The Poor / Meet Ghana President's Daughter And Her Nigerian Husband / Faces Of Mourners Who Confessed Killing Man With Juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by macho44(m): 7:57am On Dec 07, 2020
Some people find it hard to cry when their loved-ones’ die, but wailing and mourning are a big part of funerals in the African country of Ghana, as it is indicative of the deceased’ social standing or how beloved they were by their family and community. So it’s no wonder that some Ghanaians are willing to pay professional mourners to cry on their behalf.

Ami Dokli is the leader of one of the several groups of professional mourners in Ghana. In a recent interview with BBC Africa, she said that some people cannot cry at their relatives’ funerals, so they rely on her and her team to do the wailing. Dokli and the other women in her team are all widows who, after their husbands died, decided to come together to help others give their loved-ones a proper send-off to the afterlife. But crying for strangers is not the easiest thing in the world, so professional mourners charge a fee for their services, the size of which is in direct relation to the size of the funeral. If it’s a big funeral, their tears cost more.

Professional mourning is just one small part of the extravagance associated with Ghanaian funerals. People in this African country will spend as much if not more on a funeral as they would on a wedding. A funeral planner told CNN that the average funeral should cost between $15,000-$20,000, and should feature as many mourners as possible. These big social events are preceded by obligatory giant billboards that announce funeral arrangements, and sometimes feature artistic coffins shaped as something reminiscent of the deceased, and even dancing pallbearers.

According to Madam Awo Yaadonkoh, the leader of the Kumasi Funeral Criers Association, another group of talented criers-for hire in Ghana, professional mourners can help the family of the deceased raise more money from funeral participants.

“We are always hired by people to cry at the funeral rites of their dead relatives,friends, some people even go to the extent of including in their will that their family members should contact us after their death,” Yaadonkoh told Otownloaded. “The way we professionally cry moves sympathizers to give out more money to the bereaved families. That’s the main reason people contract us.”

Interestingly enough, some of these professional mourners charge by the style of crying that the customer is interested in. Here’s the list of crying styles offered by Kumasi Funeral Criers Association: crying with swagg, deep wailing and shouting, crying and rolling on the ground, crying and walking at funeral ground, highly emotional crying, basic crying, crying and vomiting, chipmunk crying. That last one sounds interesting…

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1981075948652490

Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Bornsinner7: 7:57am On Dec 07, 2020
Lol

E be things
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by macho44(m): 7:57am On Dec 07, 2020
The hustle is real, anyway issa way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqzg_Pwrlcs
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by tillaman(m): 8:02am On Dec 07, 2020
Hustle must pay
All way na way
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 07, 2020
Arrrrrrrh

Unbelievable! Imagine paying someone to cry for you in a burial! Am not in support of such, but the idea is something I love. People do certain things and get paid and some one will be saying he/her is broke. Please start doing something, be a problem solver and the money will come

1 Like

Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Prechgold1180(m): 8:16am On Dec 07, 2020
angry[center][/center]
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by macho44(m): 8:32am On Dec 07, 2020
YoonSung67:
Everything na money, I saw something very similar to this last year, during my dad's burial. The things still dey surprise me
Dem go even overtake the real mourners for volume of tears SHED
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Houseofglam7(f): 8:37am On Dec 07, 2020
Huh
Wtf!
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:42am On Dec 07, 2020
Easy ooo, Africa. As long as it rakes in cash,no biggie,na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement no forget
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 8:51am On Dec 07, 2020
Everything nah business for Africa, smh!
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Angelnath(m): 8:58am On Dec 07, 2020
My brother this one na big side hustle o imaging being paid to cry while many others 4 my corn3 are crying for free everyday. In short let me start business if you know you can cry well well see my signature.
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by singeronion: 9:05am On Dec 07, 2020
Orisirisi dey happen sha
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by walosky(m): 9:47am On Dec 07, 2020
[right][/right]

THESE ONES STILL DEY LEARN WORK NAH..LET THEM COME TO BENIN AND SEE PROFESSIONALS

1 Like

Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by revived: 10:01am On Dec 07, 2020
E be things things grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by SEGLIZ: 10:37am On Dec 07, 2020
we use to have them here in the past. I never knew they still exist.
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by ifejobi55793: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2020
Everything na money, I saw something very similar to this last year, during my dad's burial. The things still dey surprise me
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Ijawwomaninoyo: 11:42am On Dec 07, 2020
Ihedioha employed some more professional ones when he was impeached.

It is just an evidence that your family and friends are not moved, and that's shameful.

1 Like

Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by EmperorShizzy: 12:03pm On Dec 07, 2020
The guy above is right o

By the way, Please my Nairaland family, I need your help.

I need you to like this page and my comment, check for the comment by Emperor Olanshile and like. Don't forget to like the page too. It's a competition and the person with the highest like wins . Thanks so much.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=412503623466365&id=111202856929778
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Notatribalist(m): 1:59pm On Dec 07, 2020
macho44:
Some people find it hard to cry when their loved-ones’ die, but wailing and mourning are a big part of funerals in the African country of Ghana, as it is indicative of the deceased’ social standing or how beloved they were by their family and community. So it’s no wonder that some Ghanaians are willing to pay professional mourners to cry on their behalf.

Ami Dokli is the leader of one of the several groups of professional mourners in Ghana. In a recent interview with BBC Africa, she said that some people cannot cry at their relatives’ funerals, so they rely on her and her team to do the wailing. Dokli and the other women in her team are all widows who, after their husbands died, decided to come together to help others give their loved-ones a proper send-off to the afterlife. But crying for strangers is not the easiest thing in the world, so professional mourners charge a fee for their services, the size of which is in direct relation to the size of the funeral. If it’s a big funeral, their tears cost more.

Professional mourning is just one small part of the extravagance associated with Ghanaian funerals. People in this African country will spend as much if not more on a funeral as they would on a wedding. A funeral planner told CNN that the average funeral should cost between $15,000-$20,000, and should feature as many mourners as possible. These big social events are preceded by obligatory giant billboards that announce funeral arrangements, and sometimes feature artistic coffins shaped as something reminiscent of the deceased, and even dancing pallbearers.

According to Madam Awo Yaadonkoh, the leader of the Kumasi Funeral Criers Association, another group of talented criers-for hire in Ghana, professional mourners can help the family of the deceased raise more money from funeral participants.

“We are always hired by people to cry at the funeral rites of their dead relatives,friends, some people even go to the extent of including in their will that their family members should contact us after their death,” Yaadonkoh told Otownloaded. “The way we professionally cry moves sympathizers to give out more money to the bereaved families. That’s the main reason people contract us.”

Interestingly enough, some of these professional mourners charge by the style of crying that the customer is interested in. Here’s the list of crying styles offered by Kumasi Funeral Criers Association: crying with swagg, deep wailing and shouting, crying and rolling on the ground, crying and walking at funeral ground, highly emotional crying, basic crying, crying and vomiting, chipmunk crying. That last one sounds interesting…

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1981075948652490
Funeral is a big business in Ghana, especially asente region. I was told they can even kill a family member,raise money from the funeral to escape poverty..

1 Like

Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by joxxy01(m): 2:08pm On Dec 07, 2020
Na him be say Lie Mohammed go spend well well for Buhari when he die... because nobody go cry for am
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by SH1THOLEZOO: 2:25pm On Dec 07, 2020
RUBBISH. is that what nigerians do?

Notatribalist:
Funeral is a big business in Ghana, especially asente region. I was told they can even kill a family member,raise money from the funeral to escape poverty..
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by macho44(m): 6:21pm On Dec 07, 2020
Notatribalist:
Na BLOOD money be that
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Aladdin1(m): 8:36pm On Dec 07, 2020
All join!. na business!. na work!. so far na legit hustle. nothing bad!. na part of african culture and tradition to get mourners for burial ceremonies and events..as long as e dey pay.people go do the work if e enter naija.
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by adekanmbi1986(m): 10:48am On Apr 03, 2022
It is a good business idea..
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by juman(m): 11:19am On Apr 03, 2022
Business.
Re: Meet Ghana’s Professional Mourners Who Get Paid To Cry At Strangers’ Funerals by Dankovich1: 1:34pm On Apr 03, 2022
Aladdin1:
All join!. na business!. na work!. so far na legit hustle. nothing bad!. na part of african culture and tradition to get mourners for burial ceremonies and events..as long as e dey pay.people go do the work if e enter naija.
Baba for 9ja na food and drink consumers we dey get for burials ooo. Mostly common in the west and southern region of the country. Those people ensures that no food is put to waste, you don't really need to pay them though...

(1) (Reply)

I’m Broke”-bobrisky Shows Off Jaw Dropping Bank Account Amount / Why Sabinus Apologized To Nigerians This Morning After He Was Dragged On Twitter / Usher Or Genuwine: Who Steps Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.