Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,796 members, 7,827,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state (66630 Views)

BONNY ISLAND, Nigeria. A Beautiful City Many Don't Know Of.[history&pictures] / Nembe, Bonny, Bille Jetties in PH, ; An Embarrassing Eyesore. Pictures. / Bonny Island? What Is It Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 9:02pm On Oct 29, 2011
Bonny-Finima nature park
biodiversity studies are a continuous exercise in the Park.
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Oct 30, 2011
Thanks Ijawgirl for the insight. I hope to visit Bonny/Opobo in the near future.
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 3:02pm On Nov 05, 2011
you will love bny; Magical Place, warm people
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2011
Bonny is known to have the best cultural carnival in rivers state
Nwaotam -is the most famous and celebrated masquerade of the Ibani people.
The most celebrated festival among this people is Nwaotam in which bona-fide Ibani sons and daughters, in a colourful display of culture, accompany their masquerade into the river as directed by the god of their land.
Nwaotam Play or Nwatam is performed during christmas in Bonny and new year in Opobo/Bonny \
Bonny nwaotam [flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKK6jM9VMc?version=3&amp[/flash]

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2011
Celebration,  Festivity,  the enthusiasm,  excitement,  colorfulness,  beauty,  The smiles on faces,  the handshakes,  embrace,  greetings & best-wishes,  the melodious sounds of music,  all divers expression of hearty joyfulness,  these and more constitute it in BNY,

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 3:50pm On Nov 05, 2011

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 4:16pm On Nov 05, 2011
jnk

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Fhemmmy: 6:27pm On Nov 08, 2011
I never knew we have something this great buried or hidden away in Nigeria . . . This is just awesome.

Are people allowed to buy lands and just build their own homes there, how is electricity here?
What would be the cost of buying lands around here. . . . I just love it
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
There is regular power supply on Bonny Island. In fact, one of the two towns on Bonny Island, Finima, has free power supply from the Nigeria LNG Bonny Plant Complex. (no power outrage)/ uhm land undecided they hardly sell land @ bonny but usually lease but i think u can buy land @ some places
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 7:09pm On Dec 13, 2011
theres a good, affordable hotel called Elizabeth suites

Elizabeth Suites Abalamabie Road Bonny

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Fhemmmy: 5:47pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^^ How affordable is affordable . . . . ?
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2011
The smallest room is 4k and the bigger bed rooms is 6k
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2011
ijaw_girl:

The smallest room is 4k and the bigger bed rooms is 6k

Now that is really and truly affordable . . . . I will assume that the place is secured . . . . .
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by ijawgirl: 7:26am On Dec 25, 2011

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 7:31am On Dec 25, 2011

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 7:55am On Dec 25, 2011
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 9:28am On Dec 25, 2011

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 9:51am On Dec 25, 2011
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 1:25am On Dec 26, 2011
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 9:26am On Dec 26, 2011
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by enomakos(m): 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2011
beautiful but i de fear the sea oooooooo
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 09, 2012
beautiful pictures!! cheesy cheesy

enomakos:

beautiful but i de fear the sea oooooooo

LOL!! awe! grin
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by lonelydude: 2:42pm On Feb 14, 2012
@ijaw_gurl,

Pls, i will be resuming in Bonny in few days to work for about a year but got no idea about where to get a good accommodation and how much it c osts. Please, c an you give me an hint and very affordables places to stay? Pepper no too rest o i beg, self contain no go bad o. Thanks in advance
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by emmanjo: 9:46am On Feb 18, 2012
Me too. I shud be in Bonny in a week or two. Please help o. A good self contain and the cost of it.
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by EasywaysTravel: 10:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
i am happy to see this , at the same time i am proud to be a child of this grate island, may God bless you for bringing this here, i will like to see more of this lol, thanks,
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by emmanjo: 12:13am On Feb 19, 2012
Pls, i will be resuming in Bonny in few days to work for about a year but got no idea about where to get a good accommodation and how much it c osts. Please, c an you give me an hint and very affordables places to stay? Pepper no too rest o i beg, self contain no go bad o. Thanks in advance
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by lonelydude: 10:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
@EasywaysTravels,Pls, any idea on our questions as regards accommodation in bonny island?
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by DonSegmond(m): 2:55am On Feb 21, 2012
"It was the melting point of economic activities right from the 16th century. "

yes, aka slave trade where millions where traded. cry
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Ilamina(f): 10:42pm On May 11, 2012
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by bigfrancis21: 2:11pm On Aug 02, 2012
ijaw_girl:

there is no difference between Bonny people and Opobo people. We have the same masquerades, celebrate the same festivals, all our beliefs and practices are the same.

bonny and Opobo are just geographical apart(  andoni is in the middle geographically), and the two kingdoms are individually established with their institutions and in their own rights. Bonny and Opobo are in two different senatorial districts in Rivers State even though they are geographically close to each other and they belong to the Ijaw clan (Ibani)

Igbo is just a common language of "communication" in Opobo and Bonny
we are culturally ibani and Language.
Opobians and Bonnians just have Igbo heritage , there are no igbo natives in Bonny and Opobo.

That is not right. Many opobo and bonny indigenes descended from the numerous igbo slaves that would have been sold into slave trade, that later settled there. That accounts for the dominancy of the igbo language there. Without doubt, yes you do have ijaw blood but then denying your igbo heritage just because igbo denial is common in rivers state is another thing entirely. It would be better to state that both places are mixed. And your Igbo dialect which all of you speak is 'not just a language of communication', its very much alive within you guys, and most of you esp in opobo dont even speak the ibani again. Why not use ibani instead? The only native language your parents know how to speak is igbo and nothing else, and yet its denigrated to a status of 'just for communication?' Many opobo people have been asked why they dont speak ibani and their reply is always in igbo 'nne m ezi m, nna m ezi m' (my mother didnt teach me, my father didnt teach me). Its always good to speak the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 28, 2012
Lets get this thread back alive. I am a proud Pro Bonny Ijaw man from Kalabari.
Re: Bonny Island, Nigeria-The true island of rivers state by true2god: 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2012
Bonny island always remind of falkland island (in argentina) claimed by the British. That's the reason its vry difficult to get there without the presence of armed security personnel because the whites in Bonny island dont want unnecessary visit frm 'outsiders'.

Hope the whites will not claim it as part of their soverein territory (e.g wake island, falkland island, guam, marianas, fiji etc)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Chased BENZ Rider To Death, Two Others Died At Guru Maraji Road / The World Class Oshodi Bus Terminal Built By Ambode Is Now Open (photos) / Warri: The City That Should Have Surpassed Abuja: Warri Nor Dey Carry Last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.