Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria (1775 Views)

The Most Expensive Police Car Ever, Abu Dhabi's ₦1.2b Lykan Hypersport / The Most Expensive Police Car In Various Countries / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by NaijautoDotCom(m): 8:31am On Dec 10, 2020
Introduction
Have you ever wondered why news on "getaway" cars in the USA is going extinct? It's because the Police also use cars that go as fast as the fastest getaway cars offenders use.

In Nigeria, the fastest police car you can find is the Ford Fusion with a 4 cylinder engine meaning fast getaway cars can't be chased in a grand theft auto and this made me borrow a U.S police vehicle living in Lagos for a quick review.

The front end of the 2014 Dodge charger R/T
This is a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T in Nigeria that the owner imported not because he wants to catch Nigerian criminals but because it is the only American muscle performance car that you can find around today with 4 doors. R/T means "racing technology" by the way.
A brief history of the Dodge Charger
The Charger used to be a 2-door American muscle car until 1967 when Dodge took a 19-year break to redesign this car and re-released it in 1986 as a 4-door American muscle sedan.

The 1967 Dodge Charger with 2 doors in traditional muscle car styling
The 2-door Chargers were made popular outside America thanks to its dominance in the popular Fast & Furious sequel as Dom Toretto's favourite custom build and choice of a "badass" car.

The 6th-generation Charger has a lot of trims that vary greatly from the engine to features starting from the SXT V6 to the SRT8. Thank God I got an in-between trim level.
The exterior of the rare 2014 Dodge Charger in Nigeria
The 6th-generation Dodge Charger has a very bold & masculine appearance.

The first things I observed are the large semi-circular shaped grilles and the rounded square-shaped wrap around headlights with a carefully carved bonnet that makes you know it's not an ordinary 4-door sedan.

The front grille of the Dodge Charger
Tracing the lines from the fender(front) to the quarter panel(rear), you will notice that the traditional American muscle styling is dominant in this car.

The car gets more attractive with the long LED bar in red that serves as beautification & taillights at the same time. At night, it places the Dodge Charger next to no other when the lights come on...it is such a beautiful sight.

The rear of the Dodge Charger during the day and at night
The exterior of this car ignites people's inquisitiveness with lots of questions about the car. You will just want to see the car move as an onlooker from a distance. How many 4-door cars can do this for you? Only a few, I can say.
The interior of the rare Dodge Charger in Nigeria

This car is the perfect escape from the common flaws of the 3 most popular modern American muscle cars we know today.

It has a standard mid-sized sedan interior space that comfortably seats 5 people with plenty of legroom also and that's why it is ideal for a cop car. Imagine arresting criminals and there is no space to put them.

The rear seats of the Dodge Charger RT
The dashboard is very simple in its design.

I love the fact that there is an absence of different buttons to control the car's infotainment system. The infotainment system on this one and only 2014 Dodge Charger in Nigeria is called the U-CONNECT located just at the centre console that allows you to control every feature on the Dodge Charger apart from the ventilation system that has its own dedicated controls below the U-CONNECT.

The U-CONNECT infotainment system on the 2014 Dodge Charger has Apple Car Play and Android Auto
The U-CONNECT system has Apple Car Play and Android Auto connectivity that is very easy to understand with the full touchscreen interface. You just sync your phone and your car is ready for some really good car play.

The Dodge Charger is not a luxury car but it has a high-quality choice of materials for interior design. The dashboard is like a strong plastic material the sun's heat cannot melt, there are some carbon fibre wraps around the interior trims and everything just looks very simple. It's obvious that the interior is not a strong point for the car.

The high-quality dashboard of the Dodge Charger
The steering & gear knobs are very bland in design and that's not good news for lovers of fancy cars but I was happy you get an option of a cloth material/leather for the seats. The two front seats are sports seats just to give drivers comfort while speeding in this mean machine.

How mean is it?
The Drivetrain of the rare 2014 Dodge Charger in Nigeria

The Dodge Charger R/T is a V8 naturally aspirated engine car that produces raw 370hp and 397 lb/ft of torque at 4200 RPMs.

The R/T is a rear-wheel-drive that goes from 0 to 60mph in just 5.4 seconds. With this amount of torque, this car will get up to speed with a lot of performance cars in the V8 range maybe not on initial acceleration but it will catch-up in no time and it is why the U.S police chose it for a high-speed chase vehicle.

The V8 engine on the Charger is of " Hemi" design. Hemi engines are engines that have the tap of its cylinders shaped like a cup instead of flat allowing more surface area for complete combustion of air and fuel mixture helping the engine to be more efficient.

The Hemi engine sign on a Dodge Charger R/T
The 2014 Dodge Charger R/T uses a 5-speed automatic transmission and it is just so annoying. Why would a 2014 performance car only shift in 5 ranges of speed? This is why it takes time to get to its maximum torque output RPM range.

The 5.7 liter Hemi V8 engine on the Dodge Charger R/T
StartUp, Drive & Handling

This car uses a push-button start that needs the key fob detected before it responds and after I ignited the engine, I revved it to get a massive surprise. This car was shaking as I revved.

The V8 power twists the chassis a little as you rev and that is scary and fun at the same time. Raw power is what the R/T preaches!

The steering is larger than an average car's steering and it requires more force to spin it around which a lot of Japanese car owners won't quickly get accustomed to.

The wide tyres are part of the reasons it takes more strength to turn the steering wheel.

Me behind the wheel of the 2014 Dodge Charger
I started my journey in this car from a typical rough Nigerian road in an estate and it wasn't fun dragging the car to the highway. The car has a good ride height but the suspension wasn't sucking up all the effects of the bad road like a Mercedes' air suspension so I was feeling every bit of it.

It is best you buy a Dodge Charger only if you stay in areas with very smooth roads.

Once I got on the highway, I put up a smile because I knew I was about to feel like "VIN DIESEL" chasing down 3 Ferraris. The response of this car is quicker than a hare and the conservative engine sound that accompanies it made everything feel like an undercover cop car.

You have to know that this car consumes fuel way more than average because it is a big V8 engine and it is heavy. It has a 16 city miles per gallon and 25 highway miles per gallon. It won't smile with your pocket for any reason even when idling.

When I tried to go fast into a corner, I almost lost control of this car. It is a very bad car to corner at high speed with and that's why it has very few motorsports accolades because of the solid shape and weight distribution.
Safety features of the rare 2014 Dodge Charger in Nigeria

The safety features on this car include a brake drying system that eliminates moisture/water found on the brake discs just to make sure the brake system is always performing optimally, daytime running lights that flicks as you drive, 4-wheel ABS system, emergency braking assist, front and rear ventilated disc brakes, airbags, of course, traction control and a couple of others.

The Instrument cluster of a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T
Conclusion

The 2014 Dodge Charger R/T is one of the fastest 4 door cars out there that doesn't consider the economy, if you want to spend less on gas then go for the V6 trim.

The 2014 Dodge Charger on a Nigerian road

This very rare 2014 Dodge Charger in Nigeria is a car that draws too much attention and makes you stand out wherever you go. Women might not really like the idea of driving the Dodge Charger because of the extra strength needed to push it around and the interior isn't fancy. However, the choice is yours? Would you give it a vote?

>>> Navigate [url]Naijauto.com[/url] for the latest car news, car tips and advice, price updates, and reviews!

6 Likes

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by LawLab247: 8:33am On Dec 10, 2020
Cool

1 Like

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by felixzo1(m): 9:20am On Dec 10, 2020
I don't really fancy cars like others do. although I like big SUV cars ,maybe because of bad Nigerian roads.I like space and comfort when traveling
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by mejai(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2020
Nice review up there. Kudos!!

But have u witnessed our Peugeot 504 station wagon in those days. Our police can pack people and still takeoff with its spectacular engine sound

2 Likes

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Federalmike: 10:48am On Dec 10, 2020
nice car I like it
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by BoboKush(m): 11:46am On Dec 10, 2020
Nice
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:01pm On Dec 10, 2020
NaijautoDotCom:
Introduction
Have you ever wondered why news on "getaway" cars in the USA is going extinct? It's because the Police also use cars that go as fast as the fastest getaway cars offenders use.

>>> Navigate [url]Naijauto.com[/url] for the latest car news, car tips and advice, price updates, and reviews!

Nice review.

We need more hands on content like this. It's definitely not the only Charger R/T around, though.

Say hi to Crank for me.

1 Like

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by NaijautoDotCom(m): 9:34am On Dec 11, 2020
Sure, thanks for your support!
HeavenlyBang:

Nice review.

We need more hands on content like this. It's definitely not the only Charger R/T around, though.

Say hi to Crank for me.
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by olmoRoc: 9:47am On Dec 11, 2020
That's not an American police car.

They use the same model doesn't mean the ones sold to the government have the exact engine performance of those publicly available.

3 Likes

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:54am On Dec 11, 2020
olmoRoc:
That's not an American police car.

They use the same model doesn't mean the ones sold to the government have the exact engine performance of those publicly available.

Actually the same engine, sir. But the interiors are modified.

1 Like

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Mokelu: 11:54am On Dec 11, 2020
Nice review

1 Like

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Bigger alternator, beefier suspension and no speed governor

4 Likes

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:01pm On Dec 11, 2020
sultaan:

Bigger alternator, beefier suspension and no speed governor

Yes, I believe.
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Themandalorian: 8:55am On Dec 12, 2020
Good review we need more of this.
And also a video of you revving will be so nice.
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 9:43am On Dec 12, 2020
No, they also deploy helicopters during pursuit.......

Can you drive faster than an helicopter........ smiley
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Hauptmann: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2020
Lexusgs430:
No, they also deploy helicopters during pursuit.......

Can you drive faster than an helicopter........ smiley

I think this answers your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LPn_wMf44Y

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by Originalsly: 5:07pm On Dec 12, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Law enforcement agencies cars may look the same but are not. Like someone said earlier... no governor .... plus more modifications to make them faster and stronger. A Hellcat bought from the dealership will not outrun a Police Hellcat... nor outmuscle it. Should you buy a used law enforcement vehicle .... e.g Chevy Crown Victoria.... usually have the small plate on the trunk marked Police Interceptor... to buy spare parts... you must say it is a Police Interceptor or the part may not fit... many of the specs are different.
In the US... even the trucks... Postal Trucks as an example.... super fast even from take off. These too I don't think have governors.
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2020
Find a Nice Caprice PPV or Chevy SS and you are in auto heaven
Re: Driving The Fastest U.S.A Police Car In Nigeria by chukwuemekacar: 7:43am On Dec 14, 2020
Where this car in Lagos?

(1) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of CNG Cars / Secure Your Fuel - Make Sure Your Fuel Tank Is Lockable! / Atf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.