Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters (11957 Views)

Nigeria, Others Ask IMF, World Bank For Debt Relief / Seyi Tinubu, Wife Name Their Son Bolatito Ayyan Tobias Jidenna Akanbi Tinubu / "Reject Nomination Forms From Shadowy Group" - Afenifere, PDP, Others Ask Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by HenryThegreat1(m): 7:02pm On Dec 10, 2020
Global activists and celebrities have called on President Muhammadu Buhari to direct the release of all #EndSARS protesters, as well as activists and journalists jailed in various parts of the country.

They made the call in an open letter dated December 10, 2020, and addressed to the President – a copy of which was sighted by Channels Television on Thursday.

The 60 activists and celebrities, under the auspices of Diaspora Rising, asked President Buhari to ensure the reinstatement of the international passports, bank accounts, and other items seized from the jailed persons.

They demanded that the military, security, and intelligence officers found culpable in the incident at the Lekki toll plaza, either giving the order or carrying out the shooting, must be made to face the consequences of their actions.

Signatories to the letter included Reverend Bernice King, daughter of Martin Luther King Jr; US activist Opal Tometi; as well as actors Danny Glover and Kerry Washington.

Swedish teenage eco-warrior Greta Thunberg, singer Alicia Keys, civil rights campaigner Angela Davis, US congresswoman Ilhan Omar, and Nigerian-American rapper Jidenna, among others, also signed the letter.

According to them, the President should allow a transparent investigation by human rights monitors into the actions that led to the shooting at the Lekki tollgate and ensure the findings are published by media outfits accredited nationally and internationally.

The signatories also called on the President to support peaceful demonstrations in any part of the country to allow citizens exercise their constitutional right to protest.

“As people who have supported the Black Lives Matter movement in the United States and throughout the diaspora, we cannot be silent when similar atrocities take place in African countries.

“We demand respect for the Nigerian people, especially as they engage in their constitutional right to protest grave injustices,” part of the letter read.

It added, ”As President of the world’s most populous Black republic, you assume a leadership role on the global stage. Nigeria matters.

“We expect nothing short of care for your people and concern for the reputation of your country. As Nigeria is a major powerhouse for the continent of Africa, you must know, President Buhari, that your response has exponential implications for the continent and the African diaspora.”

https://www.channelstv.com/2020/12/10/luther-kings-daughter-us-lawmaker-others-ask-buhari-to-release-jailed-protesters-journalists/

6 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Luckydubby7(m): 7:03pm On Dec 10, 2020
Hmm
Buhari go hear.
Very stubborn fellow.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by emimore: 7:05pm On Dec 10, 2020
Okay o, let's watch and see
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Kzinne: 7:18pm On Dec 10, 2020
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Amotolongbo(f): 7:19pm On Dec 10, 2020
I wish our President can hear this time around, since international bodies have risen up to mediate in it.

This was the kind of call that fastracked the release of Dasuki and Sowore from Buhari’s detention.

But just as if our President has auditory problem which has kept on aggravating

24 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Loner97(m): 7:20pm On Dec 10, 2020
Baba no go gree listen to una o
There's no cow involved

10 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by happy200(m): 7:25pm On Dec 10, 2020
These people are theirselves and we are ourselves so please mind your business. If you want to mind our business please go to court and challenge whatsoever you want to challenge.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by uptimumOne23(m): 7:25pm On Dec 10, 2020
Make dem enter Nigeria come release dem na

Mtcheeeeew

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by PrinceOfLagos: 7:26pm On Dec 10, 2020
Buhari doesn't listen to anybody

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by collum(m): 7:35pm On Dec 10, 2020
the president don't listen to honest advise...activist need not to tell the president how to do the right thing if he have conscience and in change of happenings

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by lamentor78(m): 8:31pm On Dec 10, 2020
Letter that they have used to pack suya

4 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by AgroSeeds: 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
This is a call in the right direction in my opinion. Inasmuch as they are not Hoodlums or commited any crime during the protests.

Worldover, protests are a recognized human basic right.

If you are a farmer or gardener in Nigeria and you need hybrid seeds for planting, do reach out to me. I have the best hybrid seeds that guarantees optimum germination and bumper harvest.

Especially Cucumber, Watermelon, Pepper, Tomato and Okro Seeds. Reach out to me for the best hybrid vegetable seeds. We have them all.

I do have the scarce Seminis Darina F1 hybrid cucumber in stock and I also have the Kareem F1 hybrid cucumber in stock.

If you need Sugar King or Sugar Baby Watermelon, do contact me too.

My Contact for calls and WhatsApp is 09090907136.

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Kingjay007: 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Bullocks... Mr man is unaware!
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by slawormiir: 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by BrickDevo: 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Jubril
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by kennyflames(m): 6:38am On Dec 11, 2020
wasting of time
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Olawumi1032(f): 6:39am On Dec 11, 2020
lol
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Sunnycliff(m): 6:40am On Dec 11, 2020
Buhari does not hear. He has an ear problem. He only hears when we are talking about cows and their welfare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Dukeolumidemans(m): 6:41am On Dec 11, 2020
Very good...but I doubt if he understands what they said in the letter.

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by kambili999(f): 6:41am On Dec 11, 2020
Baba is busy in za oza room. He only understands how to congratulate new presidents, get shocked at situations in the country n herdsmen issues

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 11, 2020
Bihari is so much on love with military pattern. He has succeeded in taking us back to 1970s. When Volkswagen beetle was for biggest men, where workers lived from hand to mouth. Where suffering was a mark of being a good citizen

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by beautyhd: 6:42am On Dec 11, 2020
He is deaf, I doubt if he will hear them

1 Like

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 11, 2020
Which Fresident?

The one that is hiding from electorate or the one that was allegedly adjudged to have lost his cerebral prowess?

Me think the letter should have been addressed to the COS ( who is the defacto Fresident) , or the Fresidency.

Mind you, I didn't say anything.
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Cousin9999: 6:43am On Dec 11, 2020
Jidenna really needs to STFU.

4 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Ogbodavies(m): 6:43am On Dec 11, 2020
Sir pls try and leave a legacy which Nigerians will remember you for.What we are seeing now isn't the Nigeria we craved for when you were voted into office.This wasn't how you met the economy when you took over from your predecessor.Pls Sir look inwards and do what is necessary.
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by xxxtedyxxx(m): 6:43am On Dec 11, 2020
Buhari is deaf
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Generalwoodz(m): 6:44am On Dec 11, 2020
Buhari is a dictator
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by xxxtedyxxx(m): 6:44am On Dec 11, 2020
Cousin9999:
Jidenna really needs to STFU.

No...it is a keyboard warrior like you that needs to FEM.

10 Likes

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by cmikel: 6:47am On Dec 11, 2020
THE ONLY THING THESE ACTIVISTS CAN DO IN THIS CASE IS TO ENSURE THEIR VISA BARN AND ASSETS SEIZURE IN USA AND EUROPE.

BC THIS SET OF BRUTAL LEADERS ALL HAVE MILITARY MENTALITY BC THEY ARE HEADED BY A MILITARY PERSON.

THEY DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING THAT FAVOURS ANYONE ELSE BUT THEMSELVES ALONE.

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Paulianfa(m): 6:48am On Dec 11, 2020
our president is busy mbok
Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Onepeople: 6:48am On Dec 11, 2020
happy200:
These people are theirselves and we are ourselves so please mind your business. If you want to mind our business please go to court and challenge whatsoever you want to challenge.
I wish u typing this nonsense from prison,I would have taken you serious.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bernice King, Jidenna, Others Ask Buhari To Release Jailed Protesters by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 11, 2020
Nigeria is a democracy yeah?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reps Split Over State Flags, Coats Of Arms / Bayelsa Election: Patience Jonathan Working To Make Us Lose- PDP Group Cries Out / Accord Presidential Candidate, Imumolen, Tackles Peter Obi Over Economic Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.