Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / . (2229 Views)

My Encounter With Satan / My Two Hours Revelation Of Heaven - 4th Encounter From Bro.emmanuel / Testimonies: Face To Face Encounter With Jesus Christ And The Revelations Of Heaven And Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by dashkk(m): 12:55am On Jun 30, 2007
Re: . by dashkk(m): 5:44pm On Jul 02, 2007
1. Success

The Apostle Paul said, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."1

Success has been well defined as "the ability to embrace a worthwhile goal and then employ all of your powers for the achievement of that goal."

Having a goal is the first step in the success of anything. Without a specific goal it is all too easy to go every-which-way with one's endeavors and thereby dissipate one's energies. And, if we're not careful, we can end up not accomplishing anything worthwhile with our life. We become like the proverbial marksman who shoots first and then draws a bull's eye around where he hit in a vain attempt to seek to convince himself and others what a good marksman he is!

According to motivational speakers, only about three percent of people have a major goal for their life. This shouldn't be true of Christians because God has a major life goal for every one of us. That goal will put to good use our God-given talents in serving others because we serve God by serving people.

It helps to clearly define our major goal in life by writing it out as often as possible. This helps to instill it in our unconscious mind that, in turn, helps us almost to go on automatic pilot so we, too, like Paul, will press toward our God-given life goal.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to discover the God-given major goal for my life and give me the motivation, direction and help I need to fulfill it for your glory. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Philippians 3:14 (NIV)
Re: . by dashkk(m): 8:43pm On Jul 07, 2007
1. No Greater Love

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."1

Maxwell Maltz tells the story of a man who'd been severely injured while attempting to rescue his parents from a fire. His heroic efforts proved to be in vain, though. His mom and dad died in the burning house.

During his rescue attempt the fire badly scorched his face and disfigured it. He was so ashamed of his appearance that he refused to allow anyone—including his wife—to see his face.

For help, his wife went to Maltz, a plastic surgeon. "Not to worry," he assured her, "I can restore his face."

Despite the good news, the wife still felt disheartened. Her husband had always refused any medical treatment. Assuming he wouldn't change his mind, she said to Maltz, "I want you to disfigure my face so I can be like him! If I can share in his pain, then maybe he will let me back into his life."

Maltz tried to mask his horror at the request. He refused to perform the operation, but was so moved by this woman's love for her husband that he went to visit her husband. Through closed door, he yelled, "I'm a plastic surgeon. I want you to know that I can restore your face."
Re: . by dashkk(m): 8:42pm On Jul 13, 2007
1. Sound Doctrine

The Apostle Paul wrote, "He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."1

In the early days of the Christian church Paul was giving instructions to Titus regarding qualifications for church leadership. One requirement was that leaders were to be well established in sound doctrine; that is, in the understanding and teaching of God's Word.

Unfortunately, there are some leaders and some churches whose doctrine may be sound, but as Vance Havner put it, sound asleep! Sound awake doctrine for all Christians is critical because if we are not well grounded in God's truth, we can easily be led astray by persuasive and charming false teachers. As another has said, "If we don't stand for truth we can fall for anything."

Sound doctrine, however, as important as it is, is not enough. It needs to be alive and balanced with love. Without love, doctrine can become deathly legalism or modern day Phariseeism. On the other hand, love without sound doctrine can become at best "sloppy agape" and at worst empty humanism. The real church and true Christianity is based on God's truth (sound doctrine) and genuine love. Both are equally importan
Re: . by dashkk(m): 4:29am On Jul 21, 2007
1. The Baffling Call of God

Isaiah the ancient prophet wrote, "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"1

Another thing I struggled with when I was a young man was how would I know if God was calling me to serve him in a fulltime capacity?

One of the most helpful pieces of advice I received came from Oswald Chambers who described God's call as being like "the call of the sea to the sailor. Only he who has the nature of the sea within can hear that call."

In other words, a man who is "called" to be a sailor cannot rest until he launches out to sea—the call is in his heart. And so it is with the call of God. One cannot rest until he/she steps out from the safety of the shore and launches out into what he/she believes God is calling him or her to do.

A good test is: "Are you gifted for what you believe you are being called to do?" As a general rule, although not always, friends who know you well can help you answer this question more realistically.

Another test of God's call is to try doing in a small way what you feel you are being called to do. For instance, if you feel called to be a teacher, learn a subject well and offer to teach a small class in your church. After practice you will see if you are gifted to teach or not. When I feel I'm being led to do something, I always start in a small way to put it to the test. If it fails, I know it wasn't from God. However, we may need to test our call several times because nothing that is worthwhile ever comes easily.

Be assured, however, if God has called or led you to do it, he will help you. But we need to do our part too. Once we feel assured that God is calling us, we need to be adequately trained for the work we are called to do. True, we are instruments in God's hand but it is our responsibility to make and keep the instrument sharp.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, give me the courage to put to the test what I sense you are leading me to do. I'm willing to do what you want me to do , just make it plain to me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Isaiah 6:8 (NIV).

(1) (Reply)

Should Abortion Be Legalize In Nigeria? / Preaching Or Christian Entertainment? / Male Circumcision; Clitoridectomy And Infibulation Women For Religious Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.