Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture (8895 Views)

Want A Perfect Architecture Design,structural And Mechanical Design This Year? / Want A Perfect Architecture Design And Build Construction This Year? / How To Incorporate Wellness Into Your Buildings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Regcode: 7:18am On Dec 11, 2020
The Northern Nigeria is building with culture already, let them continue every other parts of Nigeria must not build like the North build. We are people different heritages and culture. This is not Northern Republic of Nigeria, but, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by owobokiri(m): 7:19am On Dec 11, 2020
Very good idea. Even the ancient designs of the mud houses in the south can be modernised in a way that all the modern gadgets needed for today's living are incorporated while the structure still showcases these traditional designs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by chuksjuve(m): 7:20am On Dec 11, 2020
How many of our public buildings projects are done by indigenous engineering companies?

Let's start from there!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 7:22am On Dec 11, 2020
Jonasbadoo:
Nigeria is just a geographical location nothing else
Which traditional features will you use and which will one are you going to ignore undecided
Some will definitely feel cheated IMO
No body is stopping him from using his traditional building style,if he have one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Jonasbadoo(m): 7:24am On Dec 11, 2020
Ibrahimmrfish:

No body is stopping him from using his traditional building style,if he have one.
So what of Government buildings?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Seyzcham91(m): 7:28am On Dec 11, 2020
stop deceiving yourself their head is not booting
thats a dream that will never come true in naija

na just another means of looting loading
Kingjay007:
It's now that their heads are booting.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 11, 2020
I like the idea ( hausa building). But where do we start from, looking at Nigeria with different culture?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by owobokiri(m): 7:34am On Dec 11, 2020
Raydos:

A typical african no get sense reach that level, We consume everything without contributing anything to the World growth!!

We don't believe in ourselves, We rather copy the western Style so as to be seen as woke!!

One of the reasons why I really respect Asians

There are more western styled skyscrapers in China/Asia than anywhere else in the world. There is nothing bad in copying the west! They have a very rich and organized cultural growth. African countries that have followed the western pattern are not stoopid as you are trying to insinuate. It's just a question of copying something handy and good. Cultures copy to evolve. Again the same Asians you cited as examples have ditched their usual communist/traditional wears for well cut western business suits! Even the Chinese president wears business suits! Chairman Mao must be spinning in his grave! The argeument was that the western suit was more office friendly and more acceptable for business. Western styled buildings came down here with colonialism. We can start incorporating local designs by promulgating relevant policies.. We don't need to be this harsh on our selves over this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by angelfallz(m): 7:35am On Dec 11, 2020
I am glad at least there are people talking about such issues. We blacks and africans like skyscrapers so much. If you watch Korean drama, you would see how they build their houses, you would see how their dinning rooms are built etc. The Koreans factored in their way of life in the design and building of their houses.
But in contrast to the Koreans, in Igbo land houses that are being built now, does not factor in "the obi".
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Vinaluv:
I like the idea ( hausa building). But where do we start from, looking at Nigeria with different culture?

U guys complicate things, ur culture no get geographical location?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Gamesmart: 7:40am On Dec 11, 2020
Aconomist:
Buildings in Nigeria are lifeless, and they don't inspire cultural pride among the population. We need to revisit and modernize our traditional architectural styles and incorporate them into things like train terminals, courthouses, government offices, and hospitals.

The following images are of traditional hausa architecture.

Raydos:

A typical african no get sense reach that level, We consume everything without contributing anything to the World growth!!

We don't believe in ourselves, We rather copy the western Style so as to be seen as woke!!

One of the reasons why I really respect Asians

Thank you.

Well said!

But I don't expect much from a people who give their children foreign names, do not teach their children how to speak their local languages and name the estates they build Mayfair/Brooklyn/Miami Estate and other ridiculous names that have no association with the country because they think these are more "cool".

Brain-dead, colomentality, self-hating people!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Reference(m): 7:55am On Dec 11, 2020
Absolutely agree. Nigerian architecture is presently haphazard and poorly represented. If we have not developed a philosophy through the ages as a result of colonial rule and the effects on forging nationhood you will expect that the new city concept in the development of Abuja as a somewhat of a national rebirth would afford us the opportunity to project what we can call Tsditional Nigerian Architecture.

But just look at the shabby edifices called public buildings and worse still are the privately developed buildings, estates and town settlements. An aerial view of the city leaves one very disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Raydos: 7:58am On Dec 11, 2020
owobokiri:

There are more western styled skyscrapers in China/Asia than anywhere else in the world. There is nothing bad in copying the west! They have a very rich and organized cultural growth. African countries that have followed the western pattern are not stoopid as you are trying to insinuate. It's just a question of copying something handy and good. Cultures copy to evolve. Again the same Asians you cited as examples have ditched their usual communist/traditional wears for well cut western business suits! Even the Chinese president wears business suits! Chairman Mao must be spinning in his grave! The argeument was that the western suit was more office friendly and more acceptable for business. Western styled buildings came down here with colonialism. We can start incorporating local designs by promulgating relevant policies.. We don't need to be this harsh on our selves over this.

That's a big ass lie, Asians incorporate their traditional style architecture in Almost all their buildings, From Japan to china to Korea,

Number one image is the former tallest building in the world tapei 101 tower in china

And the second tower is the Raffle City Chonqing tower, No european or america cities has this kind of skyscraper in the second Image below

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 8:07am On Dec 11, 2020
Jonasbadoo:
So what of Government buildings?
Any culture the government decide to pick is Nigeria culture, if a person have a problem with it then that person is hateful individual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by joyandfaith: 8:16am On Dec 11, 2020
owobokiri:

Absolutely correct!!!
Cultural integration

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 11, 2020
jajeri3216:

U guys complicate things, ur culture no get geographical location?

Oh each geographical location to it culture right.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Jesuyinka01(m): 8:20am On Dec 11, 2020
Yea I use to think of dat aswell, China has Dem b some of the way they construct their building are of old architecture style
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by ElValiente(m): 8:28am On Dec 11, 2020
Sapiosexuality:
It is not nonsense except you mean the trashy ones we build. There are more traditional buildings in the west than in Africa. Except by the west you mean USA.
When you watch those slavery movie damn those houses on plantation man.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Cousin9999: 8:44am On Dec 11, 2020
Yes!
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by owobokiri(m): 8:48am On Dec 11, 2020
Raydos:

That's a big ass lie, Asians incorporate their traditional style architecture in Almost all their buildings, From Japan to china to Korea,

Number one image is the former tallest building in the world tapei 101 tower in china

And the second tower is the Raffle City Chonqing tower, No european or america cities has this kind of skyscraper in the second Image below

No! It's not a big lie!
To start with, Taipei 101 is in Taiwan and not the mainland. And that building is a one off in terms of skyscrapers with such designs. If you want to argue, I will post some pictures of random Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo or Shanghai skylines. But then I'm not against the good idea of incorporating local designs. That's is good and I said so in my earlier post, I never said they don't have buildings with local architectural imputs, I was replying a post that suggested that Asians insist almost totally on local designs.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by ElValiente(m): 8:50am On Dec 11, 2020
Gamesmart:

Thank you.

Well said!

But I don't expect much from a people who give their children foreign names, do not teach their children how to speak their local languages and name the estates they build Mayfair/Brooklyn/Miami Estate and other ridiculous names that have no association with the country.

Brain-dead, colomentality people!

I live in Mayfair Ibeju Lekki before Lakuwe���
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Gamesmart: 9:08am On Dec 11, 2020
ElValiente:

I live in Mayfair Ibeju Lekki before Lakuwe���

Mayfair? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by overboard(m): 9:11am On Dec 11, 2020
I'm in total agreement
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Jonasbadoo(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2020
Ibrahimmrfish:

Any culture the government decide to pick is Nigeria culture, if a person have a problem with it then that person is hateful individual.
you indirectly encouraging nepotism
Tell me when has FG done anything in fairness and equity especially the North? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 9:52am On Dec 11, 2020
owobokiri:

No! It's not a big lie!
To start with, Taipei 101 is in Taiwan and not the mainland. And that building is a one off in terms of skyscrapers with such designs. If you want to argue, I will post some pictures of random Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo or Shanghai skylines. But then I'm not against the good idea of incorporating local designs. That's is good and I said so in my earlier post, I never said they don't have buildings with local architectural imputs, I was replying a post that suggested that Asians insist almost totally on local designs.

High rise architecture designs are not western tradition but base on inspiration, creativity of the architect
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Eddy000: 10:23am On Dec 11, 2020
e
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by mmsen: 12:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
orisa37:
Return Lands and Internal Security Matters to TRADITIONAL RULERS.

Why? What did they do with their power when they were in charge? Are they not the ones who sold humans as cargo?

What do they do with the power that they currently have?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by orisa37: 12:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
mmsen:

Why? What did they do with their power when they were in charge? Are they not the ones who sold humans as cargo?

You were not born then. This is 21st Century. Now there's Internet. CIVILIZATION has caught y with everyone. NIGERIA Military put us this mess. We Trained them to secure their Parents not to LOOT THEM ABROAD.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by orisa37: 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2020
mmsen:

You were not born then. This is 21st Century. Now there's Internet. CIVILIZATION has caught y with everyone. NIGERIA Military put us in this mess. We Trained them to secure our Land and their Parents but not to LOOT THEM ABROAD. We have PhD AMONGST OUR KINGS AND QUEENS NOW.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Incorporate Traditional Styles Into Public Architecture by Poucet: 10:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
Fortunately there is an existing movement training Nigerian to think and be Afrocentric, master of their traditional culture and architecture. Their aim is to see the African skyline adorned with these similar beauties and even have the WAKANDA type of towns, cities and villages.
the movement is called CPDI (Community Planning and Design Initiative) Africa. Very interesting. You can check them up at www.cpdiafrica.org

(1) (2) (Reply)

1 Property For Sale In Alapere,ketu (Lagos) with pictures / The Making Of Wardrobes & Kitchen Cabinets For Nairalanders (pics) / Fencing A Plot Of Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.