Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money (1226 Views)

What I Noticed About My Uncle's Child / What I Noticed In My Neighborhood / Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 8:41am On Dec 12, 2020
Alright so i am having this issue with several gatemen in my estate and the mstake i think i made was being generous to all of them when i just moved in. Its about 16 gatemen in this estate and i would give them 1000 each. I did it like 4 times for each of them. then COVID game and you know the money flow stopped as all man business done pafuka. Anyway I noticed that everytime i go past the gate now these guys are animatedly greeting me excessively hoping something will drop and the aggressive ones amongst them come up to the car and start passively demanding for money. One story, one time i drove pass on a weekend and the guy was just over the top in his greeting and just out of embarrassment I said i would settle him when i come back, and i did intend to but when i came back he was not there. I saw the guy 3 days later and he walked up to my car and demanded that i said i would give him money and why did i not give him ? this guy is acting like he worked in my pocket. These guys think I am ATM. and so now i understand why people dont give money at all. BECAUSE ONCE YOU START GIVING ? THERE IS NO ENDING TO IT. these people dont understand that just because you are nice onetime means its a one off. once you are nice they think this is an ATM avenue that has just opened up for them. even just greeting someone or asking for directions is an ATM opportunity for most. HOW DO YOU HANDLE THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE ?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by YoonSung72: 8:43am On Dec 12, 2020
It's true sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 12, 2020
There is an entitlement culture in Nigeria, everyone thinks you owed them something

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by CsRockefeller(m): 9:04am On Dec 12, 2020
Welcome to the club.

People just keep asking you for money from right, left and centre. Some don't even bother to say thank you after you send it.

A female family friend sent me a message last week after a very long hiatus that I shouldn't forget her birthday coming soon, I just smiled and said I've heard.

Once you start giving them they begin to see you as a mumu. My giving bundle for the year has exhausted, make everyone go find work.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 9:16am On Dec 12, 2020
zangaozanga:
There is an entitlement culture in Nigeria, everyone thinks you owed them something
Very true
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 9:17am On Dec 12, 2020
CsRockefeller:
Welcome to the club.

People just keep asking you for money from right, left and centre. Some don't even bother to say thank you after you send it.

A female family friend sent me a message last week after a very long hiatus that I shouldn't forget her birthday coming soon, I just smiled and said I've heard.

Once you start giving them they begin to see you as a mumu. My giving bundle for the year has exhausted, make everyone go find work.
cheesy

ahhh so you think its because they see those who give as mumu ? hmm thats a different angle
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by CsRockefeller(m): 9:27am On Dec 12, 2020
lekki1444:
cheesy

ahhh so you think its because they see those who give as mumu ? hmm thats a different angle

Yes nau, after d first giving they begin to ask you anything to solve whatever issue they have. They can ask you at odd times if the month without recourse to your financial situation.

In my own case, because I have a big heart they decided to abuse it, so I've changed, I just hear them out and go my way.

How can you ask me for feeding money, ask me for recharge money, ask me for birthday money, ask me to take you out, because you are who?

It's because I've not attached myself to a woman or have a child, that's why everyone thinks they can deep into my pocket. Funny enough, I don't even earn so well.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 9:37am On Dec 12, 2020
CsRockefeller:

Yes nau, after d first giving they begin to ask you anything to solve whatever issue they have. They can ask you at odd times if the month without recourse to your financial situation.

In my own case, because I have a big heart they decided to abuse it, so I've changed, I just hear them out and go my way.

How can you ask me for feeding money, ask me for recharge money, ask me for birthday money, ask me to take you out, because you are who?

It's because I've not attached myself to a woman or have a child, that's why everyone thinks they can deep into my pocket. Funny enough, I don't even earn so well.
yeah thats the case with me too. I think you have to be cold hearted to survive in this country. I really do. its sad but its a reality i am coming to grasp with. You have to be cold hearted to have peace in this country. people stay away from you and will leave you alone.i am going to cultivate being cold hearted. only give children beggars money. because i do pity those children. very tiny cute human beings chasing cars in traffic in the hot sun. thats child abuse.

1 Like

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by BlessedNuel: 10:06am On Dec 12, 2020
True talk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by ABOVEDELAW: 10:24am On Dec 12, 2020
SOME PEOPLE FEEL THEY ARE ENTITLED TO SOMETHING FOR GIVING YOU DIRECTION TO WHERE YOU ARE GOING, MY LAGOS EXPERIENCE.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by narrowpathy(m): 11:13am On Dec 12, 2020
It's a bad habit I noticed too. I love giving but past experiences has discouraged me. These days if I want to give it will be anonymous. The receiver won't know who gave.

As for those who I've already entered their "trap", I start complaining about life's issues. Especially the financial part. Lol. I complain so much as if to make them dip their hands into their pockets to help me. Hehehe. They usually avoid me after that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 11:18am On Dec 12, 2020
narrowpathy:
It's a bad habit I noticed too. I love giving but past experiences has discouraged me. These days if I want to give it will be anonymous. The receiver won't know who gave.

As for those who I've already entered their "trap", I start complaining about life's issues. Especially the financial part. Lol. I complain so much as if to make them dip their hands into their pockets to help me. Hehehe. They usually avoid me after that
grin grin grin grin Yeah I plan to use this your method. although to be honest with you i dont even want to get that familiar with them to where i start telling my business but its a good idea that will work with say relatives etc but with gatemen i dont even get close to them like that.
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by narrowpathy(m): 11:28am On Dec 12, 2020
lekki1444:
grin grin grin grin Yeah I plan to use this your method. although to be honest with you i dont even want to get that familiar with them to where i start telling my business but its a good idea that will work with say relatives etc but with gatemen i dont even get close to them like that.

Lol. I use that method for colleagues, friends and relatives.

As for your gatemen, always give the lowest denomination possible or food items. Always be ready with N100, N200 or even N50. That will make you an unattractive prey. When in a good mood buy them bread. If you want to help their life with big money be as anonymous as possible

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by generationz(f): 11:38am On Dec 12, 2020
They turn you into arm because you don't set boundaries.

I can't give whatever I'm not comfortable with and I can't share my meals when I'm just a tiny bit hungry except you are dying of hunger yourself. I out myself first always and people still thank me profusely when i help them because they never esperreted it.

I don't have many friends so I don't feel the burden to spend money to keep friends.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 11:46am On Dec 12, 2020
narrowpathy:

Lol. I use that method for colleagues, friends and relatives.

As for your gatemen, always give the lowest denomination possible or food items. Always be ready with N100, N200 or even N50. That will make you an unattractive prey. When in a good mood buy them bread. If you want to help their life with big money be as anonymous as possible
AHHHH THANK YOU THATS THE SECRET. BREAK A BUNCH OF 50 NAIRAS cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I LOVE IT BRO. JUST HAND OUT 50 NAIRA NOTES FROM NOW ON grin grin grin grin GENIUS

1 Like

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2020
generationz:
They turn you into arm because you don't set boundaries.

I can't give whatever I'm not comfortable with and I can't share my meals when I'm just a tiny bit hungry except you are dying of hunger yourself. I out myself first always and people still thank me profusely when i help them because they never esperreted it.

I don't have many friends so I don't feel the burden to spend money to keep friends.
You are very correct. I didnt set boundaries. I am about to correct that mistake now
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Pierced(f): 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2020
There are some relative I regret getting familiar with because of their begging.

Any small opportunity....they want to use it to get money from u.

They run errands for u.....u give them money.....they don't run errands for u.....they still expect u to give them money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by narrowpathy(m): 1:08pm On Dec 12, 2020
lekki1444:
AHHHH THANK YOU THATS THE SECRET. BREAK A BUNCH OF 50 NAIRAS cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I LOVE IT BRO. JUST HAND OUT 50 NAIRA NOTES FROM NOW ON grin grin grin grin GENIUS

hehehe

2 Likes

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by roughdiamond(m): 1:11pm On Dec 12, 2020
I can remember a particular friend I started giving money right from when I was still in school. Not only did I give him money but also paid for all our drinks each time we drank together. I can't count the number of times I had given him money but just sometime last year, he contacted me for money, I told him that I had a project but to my greatest surprise, this guy started ranting like he gave me money to keep for him. Even forgot all the times I gave him in the past. I never replied him. One of my greatest weaknesses is the way I give out money but that mustn't enter 2021.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 12, 2020
They do that to me, but me I just look them and say nothing for the bois, but if una see cash keep my share

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by generationz(f): 3:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
lekki1444:
You are very correct. I didnt set boundaries. I am about to correct that mistake now

When I see those security men at the bank greeting me extremely well, I just greet and immediately listening to my music as my earpiece is always in my ear.

I don't understand the idea that I must tip you when you are being paid a salary. That's the beginning of corruption in this country.

As for those security guys in your area, you have to be careful. I have a feeling some of these security men can organize bad boys for people they don't like or consider tight fisted. So you can give sometimes but maybe during festive seasons things like rice, maggi, tin tomatoes and meat. Give them together and tell them to share amongst themselves. Make them fight/ sweat share am.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by merieam16(f): 4:38pm On Dec 12, 2020
There's more blessing to give than to receive
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by CHoccolaTE: 7:03pm On Dec 12, 2020
Very real entitlement mentality is in many Nigerians.

Some will keep increasing their demands the more you give them money, I don't understand how they reason.

I once had a colleague like that. Worst part is that they don't show gratitude sometimes, they think collecting your money is their right grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

Some will keep increasing their demands the more you give them money, I don't understand how they reason.

I once had a colleague like that. Worst part is that they don't show gratitude sometimes, they think collecting your money is their right grin
Its crazy
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Winneygirl(f): 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2020
I generally don't like people coming to thank me after an act of kindness. It's quite embarrassing for me. So sometimes, before I give, I remember all that
"Thank you, Thank you, God will bless you with good husband, plus twins....etc.", I just look front and continue my walk.
I don't give too much, but I am approachable enough such that when someone has a pressing need, like medical bills, needs proper healthcare etc, I help.
But all those 'drop something ', I have stopped that nonsense long ago. They will turn me to ATM if I allow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Winneygirl(f): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2020
Some people know no boundaries and will move from asking for 1k to asking for their childrens school fees. How now??
Is it because I am single, you assume I have zero responsibilities, so I should start solving yours?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by stacyadams: 8:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
lekki1444:
Alright so i am having this issue with several gatemen in my estate and the mstake i think i made was being generous to all of them when i just moved in. Its about 16 gatemen in this estate and i would give them 1000 each. I did it like 4 times for each of them. then COVID game and you know the money flow stopped as all man business done pafuka. Anyway I noticed that everytime i go past the gate now these guys are animatedly greeting me excessively hoping something will drop and the aggressive ones amongst them come up to the car and start passively demanding for money. One story, one time i drove pass on a weekend and the guy was just over the top in his greeting and just out of embarrassment I said i would settle him when i come back, and i did intend to but when i came back he was not there. I saw the guy 3 days later and he walked up to my car and demanded that i said i would give him money and why did i not give him ? this guy is acting like he worked in my pocket. These guys think I am ATM. and so now i understand why people dont give money at all. BECAUSE ONCE YOU START GIVING ? THERE IS NO ENDING TO IT. these people dont understand that just because you are nice onetime means its a one off. once you are nice they think this is an ATM avenue that has just opened up for them. even just greeting someone or asking for directions is an ATM opportunity for most. HOW DO YOU HANDLE THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE ?
grin grin grin

U go fear those guys,,na so d security for first bank one time just. D talk " oga if u be senator I go vote u"people for queue bust laff..I jst weak for d guy....me d find money pass am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by 280Bracket: 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2020
The poor has really suffered in this country.
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by lekki1444: 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2020
Winneygirl:
Some people know no boundaries and will move from asking for 1k to asking for their childrens school fees. How now??
Is it because I am single, you assume I have zero responsibilities, so I should start solving yours?
LOL ABI ? i done taya for people sef.
Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by oginga: 10:12pm On Dec 12, 2020
As far as some Nigerians and giving are concern, they will abuse the kind gesture towards them.

The feeling is truly embarrassing.

I hate stupid sense of entitlement from some people.

The best is not to give at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Kondomatic(m): 4:47am On Dec 13, 2020
CsRockefeller:

It's because I've not attached myself to a woman or have a child, that's why everyone thinks they can deep into my pocket. Funny enough, I don't even earn so well .

That sounds like me but I have a way to break free from these people.

I say "No" straight up most times and other times I will simply say "I am not promising anything but I will let you know if something comes up and please don't ask again.

Then there some you can't tell these things maybe because of one reason or another so what I will do is pretend to be in a serious need of money and approach them for assistance with a promise to pay back in a few days.

If they refuse, well that solves the problem but if they give, I will delay payment intentionally until they lose their cool and start throwing words anyhow.

That permanently solves the problem cause money no go ever going us

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 15, 2020
lols

CHoccolaTE:

lol, very true of Nigerians

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

When U See Ur Spouse As An Evil Entity,what Do U Do? / Please Donate Clothes For An 8 Year Old Boy And A 7 Year Old Girl / Why Do Women/girls Refer To Themself As A B-i-t-c-h?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.