Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Brief Search For The Value Of Philosophy. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Brief Search For The Value Of Philosophy. (121 Views)

The Relevance Of Philosophy To The Development Of Man And Society / The National Association Of Philosophy Students, (NAPS) Uniport Chapter Condemn / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Brief Search For The Value Of Philosophy. by philoedu(m): 11:33am On Dec 12, 2020
Lately, l have been reflecting a great deal, of why there is no Nigeria philosophers or African philosophers. This is because l have come across European and American philosophers and what they wrote about, rather, contemporary British, German and even French and Italian philosophers. Then you also have Indian and Chinese philosophy, and in fact. from north African like Camus from Algeria, and accordingly, Leopode Senghor of Senegal who wrote poetry of which in Europe, they saw them as a philosophers.
There is no doubt, that we have one of the finest literary giants of the likes of Prof. Wale, Achebe and Many others, who their bells rang across Europe and America and elsewhere in the world.
But back home in Nigeria, lam wondering why there is no Nigeria philosophers or African philosophers based on what they have said and written about Nigerian or African.

I look forward, however, to reading what for instance Dr. Zik said about politics, Chief Awolowo and why not, Dr. Unjoku, the renown Educationists who l have no doubt in my mind, must have said something about education, politics that gives them the names Educationists, and what about Dr Tie Sholarin, the founder of Mayflower school who distinguishes himself of what a school should looks like and should be.
I do think these are philosophers in their own right of which any department of philosophy in Nigeria is saddle with the responsibility to carry out a research and articulate their ideas. The reason is just simple, because, such ideas goes a long way to enhancing in the development of this country, that act as a transmission of ideas and culture.

The same is true, it is time, Nigerian Academicians starts to write the history and philosophy of this country as to deployed them into our schools curriculum and stop reading out side books and stop blaming outsider of our set backs. Nigerian and African have methods of doing things just like American and British and indeed, Italians have theirs own method of doing things.

When we talk about method, there seems to be two known methods which are - Inductive and Deductive and which one are we applying that is suited to our own culture. In philosophy, the deductive is said to be scientifically acclaimed, but to me l think the inductive is the best for African or Nigeria due to our peculiar and unique environmental problems, if you like.
The inductive method is - starting from the basics to doing the big things while deductive is- starting from the big things to doing the basic things. Unfortunately, there is total neglect of the basics as we often strive for the big things that tends to compound our problems.
I think Nigeria or Africa should try to mind their own business in the name of politics to focus on the domestic issues Educationally , Politically and Economically, l mean looking inward instead of looking outward, because we must not pretend we are developing, until we are ready to face up to the basics of Nigeria or African realities.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

LAUTECH MULTI CAMPUS: The Wish Of The Patriots - Luqman Soliu / Admission! Admission!! Admission!!! / How To Know If You Are Ready To Undertake Undergraduate Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.