Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,311 members, 7,822,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? (527 Views)

White Parents Claim Calculation Error After Two Black Students Came Tops / Can Someone Who Is Average In Maths Study Electrical Electronics Engineering / Can I Study Doctor In OAU With 106 JAMB Score?: Guy Asks; Gets Hilarious Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Wizcollifa(m): 11:30pm On Dec 12, 2020
Good evening Nlanders.

I left secondary in 2010 as a science student but somehow things didn't go as planned and I studied Economics in the university. I'm a brilliant but I'm close to average in mathematics but I have been improving over the years through tutorials on YouTube, I don't study for long, The maximum I can study is 2hrs but I have the ability to assimilate fast, Though I have been building my reading Habit through reading of novel. my Question is can I study medicine and cope?
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Omoolami100: 2:40am On Dec 13, 2020
You don't really need mathematics if you wanna study medicine in Nigeria. You might be required to get at least a pass mark in your 1st year(depends on your school tho, as some schools don't include mathematics for 1st year students). But physics and chemistry are always compulsory. Then I think Zoology, Botany etc too

Modified
Medicine is neither for the brilliant nor the dumb ones. I've seen bright students withdrawn and average students thrive in COHS.
If you can only read for 2hrs and assimilate well, that's fine. But that's only as long as you're consistent.

1 Like

Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Wizcollifa(m): 9:11am On Dec 13, 2020
Omoolami100:
You don't really need mathematics if you wanna study medicine in Nigeria. You might be required to get at least a pass mark in your 1st year(depends on your school tho, as some schools don't include mathematics for 1st year students). But physics and chemistry are always compulsory. Then I think Zoology, Botany etc too

Modified
Medicine is neither for the brilliant nor the dumb ones. I've seen bright students withdrawn and average students thrive in COHS.
If you can only read for 2hrs and assimilate well, that's fine. But that's only as long as you're consistent.
Thank you very much for your response. I'm consistent with my reading, I hope the physics and chemistry calculation won't be a problem? though I'm improving rapidly with calculation in general.
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by kabiruDK(m): 10:00am On Dec 13, 2020
Bro, u re good to go.
Medicine is not all about calculations
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 13, 2020
Bro, in medicine u don't need much calcutions, the basics in secondary school is more than enough. And mind you that's why is not part of UTME requirement and only do it as a course only in 100level...

In medicine what you need is perseverance, persistence and be smart with ur pen in pre-clinical, and be wise, with ur showmanship clinical skill in the clinical arm.

Lastly but most important "CHARACTER " because in the end u're awarded in both "character and Learning"
And they'll always remind you that CHARACTER comes first.

I wish you luck

1 Like

Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 13, 2020
Wizcollifa:
Good evening Nlanders.

Though I have been building my reading Habit through reading of novel. my Question is can I study medicine and cope?

The truth is that reading novels can be interesting and u're always in suspense so you wanna know what happen next which act as a stimulant to keep u reading but reading medicine books is no anywhere close to that because u just have to force yourself and most times the only motivation you have is "remember why you got into mbbs in the first place"

1 Like

Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Herbephe1(m): 11:11am On Dec 13, 2020
First mistake is comparing reading novels to studying textbooks.You are reading novels for enjoyment or probably to improve your English,but you will be reading textbooks to pass.
2hrs-daily reading is a bit small for someone studying medicine.Besides don't worry,when you're given admission your reading hours will get improved when you see some of your colleagues studying for 12hrs.
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Omoolami100: 11:19am On Dec 13, 2020
Wizcollifa:
Thank you very much for your response. I'm consistent with my reading, I hope the physics and chemistry calculation won't be a problem? though I'm improving rapidly with calculation in general.

Just like A-Level stuff. You can start studying College physics and also try to solve a lot of questions, so you'll be well prepared for what's to come.
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Wizcollifa(m): 11:46am On Dec 13, 2020
JSOnonivami:
Bro, in medicine u don't need much calcutions, the basics in secondary school is more than enough. And mind you that's why is not part of UTME requirement and only do it as a course only in 100level...

In medicine what you need is perseverance, persistence and be smart with ur pen in pre-clinical, and be wise, with ur showmanship clinical skill in the clinical arm.

Lastly but most important "CHARACTER " because in the end u're awarded in both "character and Learning"
And they'll always remind you that CHARACTER comes first.

I wish you luck
Are you from UDUS ( usmanu Danfodiyo university sokoto) Thanks for your contribution.
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Wizcollifa(m): 11:46am On Dec 13, 2020
Herbephe1:
First mistake is comparing reading novels to studying textbooks.You are reading novels for enjoyment or probably to improve your English,but you will be reading textbooks to pass.
2hrs-daily reading is a bit small for someone studying medicine.Besides don't worry,when you're given admission your reading hours will get improved when you see some of your colleagues studying for 12hrs.
Thanks...
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Wizcollifa(m): 12:05pm On Dec 13, 2020
JSOnonivami:

The truth is that reading novels can be interesting and u're always in suspense so you wanna know what happen next which act as a stimulant to keep u reading but reading medicine books is no anywhere close to that because u just have to force yourself and most times the only motivation you have is "remember why you got into mbbs in the first place"
Thanks you very much
Re: I'm Close To Average In Calculation, Can I Study Medicine? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
Wizcollifa:
Are you from UDUS ( usmanu Danfodiyo university sokoto) Thanks for your contribution.

No, I'm in ABUTH Shika.
I.e ABU Zaria

(1) (Reply)

Finally JAMB Announced The Commencement Of 2021 Registration Without NIN / Private Secondary Schools Needed In Ibadan / 5 Different Type Of Kratom Strains You Must Know About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.