Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE (9062 Views)

Construction Process Of Our Bungalow Apartments. / The Posh 6 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Block Of Flats In Enugu, The Construction Process / Construction Process Of Four Bedroom Bungalow @ Mowe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2021
emae009:

Good evening Sir, I have some follow up questions regarding the project.
1) Why wasn't steel beams used in place of constructing the 14m RC beams. Steel beams have good unsupported span.
2) If the building was Framed building, why wasn't the blocks of small sized like 6" or 5".
These two cases would have reduced the load footprint of the overall building on the foundation.

I'd be very appreciative of your response. Thank you

1. The 2nd floor is for an event centre independent of the lower event centre. And the 2nd floor slab is 150mm reinforced concrete. The Structural Engineer decided on concrete T Beams instead of Steel.
2. The Blocks used for internal partitioning was 6 inches. But all external blockwork are 9 inches.
The loading was carefully estimated and the foundation and the sub soil was capable of carrying those loads for the next 600 years cheesy

2 Likes

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by emae009(m): 7:09pm On Apr 05, 2021
opalu:

1. The 2nd floor is for an event centre independent of the lower event centre. And the 2nd floor slab is 150mm reinforced concrete. The Structural Engineer decided on concrete T Beams instead of Steel.
2. The Blocks used for internal partitioning was 6 inches. But all external blockwork are 9 inches.
The loading was carefully estimated and the foundation and the sub soil was capable of carrying those loads for the next 600 years cheesy

���
Thank you!
Ofcourse the foundation is capable of sustaining the structure through its life cycle.
I was looking from the perspective of cost savings, resources, materials and load reduction, lower carbon footprint etc.
I think you interpreted my reason for asking those questions differently. I was asking if it's structurally adequate to use steel beams and smaller sized blocks for theexternal walls lif someone is doing a similar project.

1 Like

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 9:40am On Apr 20, 2021
emae009:

���
Thank you!
Ofcourse the foundation is capable of sustaining the structure through its life cycle.
I was looking from the perspective of cost savings, resources, materials and load reduction, lower carbon footprint etc.
I think you interpreted my reason for asking those questions differently. I was asking if it's structurally adequate to use steel beams and smaller sized blocks for theexternal walls lif someone is doing a similar project.

When a Structural Engineer like you estimates all the expected loads the Structure is to carry plus the dead loads, he or she can use appropriate steel members to carry those loads. Whatever concrete can carry, steel can carry. What concrete and steel cannot carry, other enhanced materials like prestressed concrete can be used where weight will be an issue.
For instance I almost used Prestress for the entire 2nd floor. Those deep beams of long span wouldnt have been necessary at all. But the cost of importing the tendons and others to use were above what the client wanted to pay. So we had to use normal Reinforced concrete.

The external walls can be 6 inches. However most clients wont like that idea if you are to present that before them. Except it its highrise where we use specially very strong blocks of 6 or even 4 inches. Or other composite materials

1 Like

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by Dwanay(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2021
I'm available in case you need a competent tiler sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 5:05am On May 27, 2021
Okay
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by Mykel51(m): 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
abragr8:
We carried out Soil test and investigation to be very sure of the capacity of weight the soil can bear and also to understand the soil strata underneath the site.
2 Standard Penetration Test (Borehole)
8 Dutch Cone Penetrometre Tests (DCPTs)
The site is 2 full plots

Hello sir,

This test was carried out after the filling it before the filling because I can see a lot of water here
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 8:05am On Jun 14, 2021
Mykel51:

Hello sir,

This test was carried out after the filling it before the filling because I can see a lot of water here

The water you see there is as a result of heavy rainfall. During and after construction we still filled the site with several trips of sharp sand. To elevate the compound level far above the road level

1 Like

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by Mykel51(m): 9:06am On Jun 14, 2021
opalu:

The water you see there is as a result of heavy rainfall. During and after construction we still filled the site with several trips of sharp sand. To elevate the compound level far above the road level

Good job sir

You began your construction immediately after the filling or you allowed the filling to consolidate naturally for some months ?
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 4:00pm On Jun 22, 2021
Mykel51:

Good job sir

You began your construction immediately after the filling or you allowed the filling to consolidate naturally for some months ?

It's not professionally right to begin construction immediately after sand filling is done on a water logged area. This particular site was sand filled for many months before we were called to build. However we took precautionary measures to compact mechanically

2 Likes

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by Mykel51(m): 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2021
abragr8:
From the soil test results, I could either use short piles or 'long' beams. The cost for short piles are cheaper than the cost of deep beams. But clients always have dislike for piles. Most probably because piles have been made to appear costly. It's like giving a dog a bad name to hang it.
This is why me and a group of Geotechnical Engineers and Geologists had to form a Pile Construction company that builds piles that are less expensive than deep rafts.

So on this site, we opted to use DEEP RAFT with wide footings.

Hello Engr,

I can see you used deep raft with wide strip footings for this structure, what is the dimension of the strip footing ?

I would appreciate your warm response.
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by saferoom: 11:35am On Sep 04, 2021
Mykel51:

Hello Engr,

I can see you used deep raft with wide strip footings for this structure, what is the dimension of the strip footing ?

I would appreciate your warm response.

800mm width
300 mm thick

2 Likes

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by saferoom: 11:35am On Oct 11, 2021
smiley wink
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2022
wink
Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by omonnakoda: 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2023
Good job sir two questions
What is the area of the base i.e. How much land was used?
How much did it cost or how much will it cost in 2023?

1 Like

Re: CONSTRUCTION PROCESS FOR A 3000 SEATER EVENT CENTRE by opalu: 9:14pm On Sep 08, 2023
omonnakoda:
Good job sir two questions
What is the area of the base i.e. How much land was used?
How much did it cost or how much will it cost in 2023?
Kindly chat me on WhatsApp to give you those details. 08070809889

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Land And House @ Good Prices In Owerri Capital Imo State / Electrical Piping Both Surface And Conduit / Gov. Ambode At Signing Of Bond Deal With Issuing Houses At Lagos House, Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.