Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,227 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector (841 Views)

Nigerian Woman Cries Out As Fulani Herdsmen And Their Cows Destroy Her Farm. / Man Sees Herdsmen On His Farmland, Confronts Them Gently (Video) / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by Omooba77: 1:12am On Dec 14, 2020
“We are depressed, very depressed. And anyone of us, of our age, who was not depressed, he was not well-born, because we have nothing to leave behind for our children, and violence will not sustain us…” — Chief Audu Ogbeh, Chairman, Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF.

Ogbeh, former Minister of Communications under President Shagari and of Agriculture under Buhari from 2015 to 2019, was wrong. His generation of Northerners actually left several awful things behind for their children. One of them is a devastated poultry industry and its repercussions. Ogbeh actually contributed to that problem during his years as Buhari’s Minister. Indeed, if the President is asked to name those who helped to bring his administration to the point where the hitherto supportive ACF, are now “depressed, very depressed”, Audu Ogbeh should be top on the list of culprits. Here is why.

When in 2016, Fulani herdsmen invaded Agatu, Benue State, and slaughtered over 100 people and rendered thousands homeless, Ogbeh, though Minister representing Benue State, did not visit the place; neither did the Federal Government, FG, he served, send relief materials.

The raid on Agatu was followed by the massacre of people in more Benue communities until Governor Ortom rose in defence of his people. When the FG finally reacted, it was to blame the victimised people of Benue for not accommodating strangers. It was a bloody lie and Ogbeh knew the truth. But, hanging on to his portfolio as Minister was more important than standing up for the truth and his people.

READ ALSO:Troops have surrounded kidnappers of Katsina students, says Garba Shehu
Even when the Mayetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, MACBAN, and various officials of the FG proclaimed untruths about the mass murders in Benue and threatened the people, Ogbeh uttered not a word. Instead he joined others in promoting RAGU — the forceful establishment of grazing lands in all the states of Nigeria – in total defiance of the Land Use Decree 1978, which vested all state lands in the Governors of each state. Herdsmen, urged on by MACBAN, went on unchecked rampage from state to state destroying farms.

Unfortunately for the MACBAN, FG and Ogbeh, they were all too myopic to realise that maize and soybeans are two of Nigeria’s most important crops. Rice is the third. But, maize and soybeans, apart from constituting direct food items are absolutely indispensable as inputs for poultry feed. It never occurred to them that cattle cannot distinguish between maize farms and others. In fact, they have preferences for maize and beans farms. I learnt this fact by accident in 2018.

Travelling from Minna to Bida and on my way to Lagos, I opted to go by a longer route: Minna-Zungeru- Wushishi-Badeggi-Bida. I wanted to visit an old friend in a community in Wushishi Local Government. There, a compelling story unfolded. The people in these areas are not Fulani or Hausa. Apparently, since 2016, thousands of small and medium scale farmers have been experiencing repeated invasions of their rice, beans and maize farms by Fulani herdsmen. Hitherto, the shepherds were not armed. But, starting middle 2016, they were armed with guns. And, unlike time immemorial, when cattle incursion into farms was settled amicably, herdsmen became intransigent. Reports to the police and security people in the area fell on deaf ears.

By 2018, Fulani herdsmen, previously living in relative obscurity among other Nigerian tribes, had emerged as one of the five most deadly terrorist groups worldwide. Wherever terrorists enter, it is their cardinal intention to deprive all others of their rights to lives, means of livelihood, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They bring destruction everywhere including Niger State. More maize, rice and beans farms were destroyed as herdsmen became more emboldened.

Around the early part of 2017, the first reports of kidnapping of farmers and family – after invading and destroying the farm – started to emerge. By 2018, what most communities in that axis of Niger State had regarded as a rumour had become a fact. The Fear of herdsmen, previously docile, now aggressive and imperialistic was the beginning of wisdom.

It was the beginning of a sustained attack against maize, rice and beans farmers across Niger State – which left several thousand farms fallow this year. The widespread attitude is: why bother to plant if cattle will destroy some and bandits will seize the rest? Niger State, it might be added, is capable of producing more maize, rice and beans than Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti combined.

From information available to me, hundreds of thousands of women and girls – who constitute the backbone of Nigerian agriculture – don’t go to farm anymore. Meanwhile, the young men have taken two routes out of the farm. Some have joined the rural-urban drift and are so far away from farmland that they can be presumed to be lost forever to farming. The second batch has gone to swell the ranks of criminals – kidnappers, bandits and cattle rustlers. The last group (rustlers) are out for revenge on herdsmen who forced them off the farm. Being idle, they easily found employment with the devil – who loves idle hands. The rest of the country will pay dearly for all these.

One of Ogbeh’s contributions to our present predicament is discussed below.

Border closure and its consequences

“You burn the house to roast the pig. It was always the only way mankind roasted pigs.” – Saul Bellow.

Many Nigerians cannot wait for May 29, 2019 to come. It will relieve them of one public servant who has become more of a public danger than all the others put together. The man is Chief Audu Ogbeh who I had tipped as one of the most likely to succeed among Buhari’s Ministers. Don’t blame me totally.

First, readers would recollect the proposal to establish several “Cattle Colonies” in all the states of Nigeria. The uproar that greeted that idea lasted several months until the President was forced to disclaim it.”

Then he announced that: “Our other problem is smuggling. As we speak, a neighbour of ours is importing rice than China is importing. They do not eat parboiled rice; they eat white rice and they are using their port to try and damage our economy.” – Chief Audu Ogbeh.

Ogbeh’s recommendation is playing itself out now. The statement credited to him was followed by an appeal to the FG to close Nigerian borders on account of imported and smuggled rice. The FG closed the border. Let us quickly point out that foreign rice is still entering Nigeria. More importantly, I pointed out then that rice was not the only commodity crossing the border; it would stop export of Nigerian goods to ECOWAS as well. But, Ogbeh is a fanatic. Only God knows how much of our current recession can be attributed to loss of exports to ECOWAS. Now the FG is in a dilemma. The adverse consequences of border closure have dawned on them. We are stuck with the results of a stupid policy.

Finally, he was also in support of the ban placed on maize imports. Two months ago, the FG quietly issued selective import licences to few maize importers – who will make windfall profits while Nigerians pay more for poultry products and poultry farmers fold up.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/12/how-macban-herdsmen-and-fg-devastated-poultry-sector/amp/

2 Likes

Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by FarahAideed: 1:14am On Dec 14, 2020
They know what they are doing
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by mike8804: 2:38am On Dec 14, 2020
ok
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by NaijaFutbol: 2:59am On Dec 14, 2020
But North is safe! This IPOB man has come to tarnish the image of the President and his herdsmen
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by kayusely70(m): 3:26am On Dec 14, 2020
The Buhari Govt Has Rendered The Nation Into A Complete Mess

1 Like

Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by expliciit: 3:32am On Dec 14, 2020
Audu Ogbe is irredeemable bigot, thief who was simply interested in looting government funds under his ministry. I had the opportunity to work with a company who was installing a Federal government Cold Chain across some selected states when he was Agriculture minister, the Contractor was coerced to take one to one of his Farms in Kuje, Only God can judge all this criminals who are parading themselves as leaders.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by Omooba77: 9:16am On Dec 14, 2020
kayusely70:
The Buhari Govt Has Rendered The Nation Into A Complete Mess
In the words of Femi Adesina Nigeria are happy....
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by CodeTemplar: 9:22am On Dec 14, 2020
This whole onslaught looks too coincidental.
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by owobokiri(m): 9:23am On Dec 14, 2020
The fulani herdsmen are the main reason Nigerians are underfed! Their cattles are very costly here and are bred in ways that makes it hard for the meat to be cheap. Then they have a monopoly because the government banned the importation of beef even if we have a shortfall while concentrating enabling structures for farming solely in the north. What it means is that if there is a bad harvest in the north. , We will go hungry in this country rather than to import! No country is run like this! Food bought down south is costly and ordinary folks have to overwork just to eat. It's wrong.
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by CodeTemplar: 9:24am On Dec 14, 2020
expliciit:
Audu Ogbe is irredeemable bigot, thief who was simply interested in looting government funds under his ministry. I had the opportunity to work with a company who was installing a Federal government Cold Chain across some selected states when he was Agriculture minister, the Contractor was coerced to take one to one of his Farms in Kuje, Only God can judge all this criminals who are parading themselves as leaders.
Emefiele of CBN was far more effective in agric than that Audu Ogbeh. He was the same one who wanted to tax farmers specially for security when he was newly appointed in 2016.
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by History555: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2020
The same buhari damaged the brewery industry. Today guiness, nig brewery, intercontinental distilleries etc are struggling to survive.

The same buhari under his watch cement is now 4500 from 2500 in January 2020 and 1300 in 2015. Despite the fact its produced in nigeria. Yet he is not bothered

The same buhari has made flour so expensive that bread is now out of reach of many Nigerians
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2020
Ogeh has been used it's time to dump him ..and they would use his brothers to remove and dump him again

I don't know why middle belt and southern politicians keep falling for this rubbish

Look at all the controversial bodies their spoke person is always a southern or northern christian

Just look at frank mba from the Nigerian police , he thinks he would get to AIG ? ...watch n see

The army spoke person them go soon remove am when they use him finish

Dss same thing

See how they are pushing umiah to fight his people someone that had goodwill

Look at wike ...now they can deal with wike and nothing would happen ...

Why do people keep falling for this
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by somebody02: 9:52am On Dec 14, 2020
Igbochief001:
Ogeh has been used it's time to dump him ..and they would use his brothers to remove and dump him again

I don't know why middle belt and southern politicians keep falling for this rubbish

Look at all the controversial bodies their spoke person is always a southern or northern christian

Just look at frank mba from the Nigerian police , he thinks he would get to AIG ? ...watch n see

The army spoke person them go soon remove am when they use him finish

Dss same thing

See how they are pushing umiah to fight his people someone that had goodwill

Look at wike ...now they can deal with wike and nothing would happen ...

Why do people keep falling for this

He has been dumped a while ago.
Not sure if he's politically relevant anymore anymore.

Abeg, I buy PayPal, Skrill, Payoneer, Neteller and Africard funds at very good rate, your rate is mine.
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by Omooba77: 1:40pm On Dec 14, 2020
somebody02:

He has been dumped a while ago.
Not sure if he's politically relevant anymore anymore.

Abeg, I buy PayPal, Skrill, Payoneer, Neteller and Africard funds at very good rate, your rate is mine.

Nigeria has no leader....
Lalasticlala... There is a country....
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by oyatz(m): 3:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
owobokiri:
The fulani herdsmen are the main reason Nigerians are underfed! Their cattles are very costly here and are bred in ways that makes it hard for the meat to be cheap. Then they have a monopoly because the government banned the importation of beef even if we have a shortfall while concentrating enabling structures for farming solely in the north. What it means is that if there is a bad harvest in the north. , We will go hungry in this country rather than to import! No country is run like this! Food bought down south is costly and ordinary folks have to overwork just to eat. It's wrong.

Every State should look inward and start massive production of rice, maize ,Soya beans and most especially animal husbandry.

Running to foreign countries to import everything we need is like importing poverty
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by owobokiri(m): 4:08pm On Dec 14, 2020
oyatz:

Every State should look inward and start massive production of rice, maize ,Soya beans and most especially animal husbandry.

Running to foreign countries to import everything we need is like importing poverty
Every state can't produce all the food stuffs we need. In the east, we have to prioritize. I might decide to turn my land into a game reserve for instance and make money from visitors, enough to buy my Thai rice! It's none of your business since you can't produce quality rice locally. If you can, I will surely buy from you since unfortunately, I share the same hellhole with you..There's a problem tho, if for instance i lazy about Monday to Friday with endless hedonistic owambe, not caring to put the work needed to raise enough income to buy what I need.

If I lack productivity but insist on imported food, then I'm trying to subsidize my luxurious preferences with other people's labor. That's not the case here. An average guy at Onitsha main market deserves quality food at reasonable prices since he works his behind off daily to earn a living.. You can't deny him such right with all sorts of obnoxious policies crafted to balloon the pockets of a very tiny anti-societal few, who masquerade under the fanciful tag of "farmers/herders" to unleash terror on innocent communities around a bemused country without contributing absolutely nothing to the revenue purse...

Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by oyatz(m): 5:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
owobokiri:

Every state can't produce all the food stuffs we need. In the east, we have to prioritize. I might decide to turn my land into a game reserve for instance and make money from visitors, enough to buy my Thai rice! It's none of your business since you can't produce quality rice locally. If you can, I will surely buy from you since unfortunately, I share the same hellhole with you..There's a problem tho, if for instance i lazy about Monday to Friday with endless hedonistic owambe, not caring to put the work needed to raise enough income to buy what I need.

If I lack productivity but insist on imported food, then I'm trying to subsidize my luxurious preferences with other people's labor. That's not the case here. An average guy at Onitsha main market deserves quality food at reasonable prices since he works his behind off daily to earn a living.. You can't deny him such right with all sorts of obnoxious policies crafted to balloon the pockets of a very tiny anti-societal few, who masquerade under the fanciful tag of "farmers/herders" to unleash terror on innocent communities around a bemused country without contributing absolutely nothing to the revenue purse...

This is not what I am saying.

In 1970, Nigeria was a net exporter of foods eventhough certain foods in limited quantities were still being imported but this was largely for those who want this particular brand e.g Uncle Ben's rice which was imported in Sachet-like 1kg pack.

Before 1975, frozen fish wasn't a common food item in Nigeria.

Nigeria has what it takes to produce enough foods for her citizens. Those who want exotic foods can import them in small quantities (they can even buy them online through Jumia, AliBaba etc)
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by owobokiri(m): 6:16pm On Dec 14, 2020
oyatz:

This is not what I am saying.

In 1970, Nigeria was a net exporter of foods eventhough certain foods in limited quantities were still being imported but this was largely for those who want this particular brand e.g Uncle Ben's rice which was imported in Sachet-like 1kg pack.

Before 1975, frozen fish wasn't a common food item in Nigeria.

Nigeria has what it takes to produce enough foods for her citizens. Those who want exotic foods can import them in small quantities (they can even buy them online through Jumia, AliBaba etc)

You can't put the cart before the horse. You just don't wake up and close down the borders because you want to sell Nigerian rice. You have to first develop enough capacity to take care of demands here. That's where that policy get k-leg. No prior warning, no planning, just woke up one day and closed the borders because he could. Immediately, the price of rice went soaring off the roof because supply can't catch up with demands. It's that simple...

First, liase with local and friendly international institutions conversant with the best methods of growing the best species of rice for the Nigerian market. Allow these schools to work with serious farmers in this area to develop enough seedlings and have those distributed. Support them with funding and relevant new information, logistics and structures. Measure the quality and quantity of the harvest, vis a vis the population of the country and the demands for rice, taking into consideration the fact that rice is a staple.. If data proves that what you have harvested can feed the whole Nigeria, then start a targeted phase by phase increment of duties on imported rice so that those who still prefer such will be forced to pay more, thereby making the prices of rice produced locally to be cheaper...

That's it! A reasonable dent on rice importation using this tactic can be done in 3 years if the government is serious. .. That way everyone is taken care of. By that I mean the rice growers, the middle men, the former importers who will have enough time to change business, thereby still being gainfully employed, and ofcourse the consumers! Not the Buhari way of starving Nigerians as a bag of rice chases 50k. All because his cousins started rice farms..
Re: How MACBAN, Herdsmen And FG Devastated Poultry Sector by oyatz(m): 3:36am On Dec 15, 2020
owobokiri:

You can't put the cart before the horse. You just don't wake up and close down the borders because you want to sell Nigerian rice. You have to first develop enough capacity to take care of demands here. That's where that policy get k-leg. No prior warning, no planning, just woke up one day and closed the borders because he could. Immediately, the price of rice went soaring off the roof because supply can't catch up with demands. It's that simple...

First, liase with local and friendly international institutions conversant with the best methods of growing the best species of rice for the Nigerian market. Allow these schools to work with serious farmers in this area to develop enough seedlings and have those distributed. Support them with funding and relevant new information, logistics and structures. Measure the quality and quantity of the harvest, vis a vis the population of the country and the demands for rice, taking into consideration the fact that rice is a staple.. If data proves that what you have harvested can feed the whole Nigeria, then start a targeted phase by phase increment of duties on imported rice so that those who still prefer such will be forced to pay more, thereby making the prices of rice produced locally to be cheaper...

That's it! A reasonable dent on rice importation using this tactic can be done in 3 years if the government is serious. .. That way everyone is taken care of. By that I mean the rice growers, the middle men, the former importers who will have enough time to change business, thereby still being gainfully employed, and ofcourse the consumers! Not the Buhari way of starving Nigerians as a bag of rice chases 50k. All because his cousins started rice farms..

Where did I ever talk of closure of borders? Was there a closure of the borders in 1970 when Nigeria was feeding itself and had surplus to export?

If there's strategic planning and investment in our local industries (including Agricultural sectors) the flow of trade will naturally tilt in favour of local industries.

Nigeria don't import Yam, Cassava or Soya beans because there are investment (though not modern enough) in the local production of these food items.

(1) (Reply)

Guniea Fowl Poultry Farming / Grain Puffing Machine / Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.