Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,806 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. (1012 Views)

Are Paintings In High Demand? / Some Of The Most Famous Artists Of All Time / Buy Your Contemporary Abstract Paintings In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2020
These are ten of the most famous paintings ever created. It is a personal selection of paintings that have a universal and lasting appeal.

1. Mona Lisa – Leonardo Da Vinci
Mona-Lisa
Leonardo da Vinci worked on his masterpiece over a period of 20 years. He carried it with him everywhere. The enigmatic smile has captured the imagination of the world. It has been stolen twice and now resides in the Louvre, Paris. When the Mona Lisa visited America in the 1960s, it gained a prominence close to that of the then US president John F Kennedy. Why do people queue up for so many hours to catch a fleeting glimpse? Perhaps because it is very human, but at the same time offering a sensation that there is something beyond. In the world, but looking beyond. Is that not a smile of supreme satisfaction? Everyone will have a different opinion, and that is part of the attraction of the painting.

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:32pm On Dec 14, 2020
2. The Scream – Edvard Munch
munch
A painting that symbolises the anguish and pain of modern life. It has become one of the most famous pictures of modern times. Somehow it makes me think of Freud and looking at our subconscious. It is famous, but is it good? Why look at the mud in the lily pond, when you can enjoy the lilies on top?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:33pm On Dec 14, 2020
3. Creation of Adam – Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo
sistine-chapel
Michelangelo took four years to paint the Sistine Chapel. He chose scenes from the Old Testament. This is the moment of God creating Adam. This particular panel is just a fraction of the Sistine Chapel. To fully appreciate the scale, splendour and beauty of Michelangelo’s creation, you have to visit the Vatican.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:34pm On Dec 14, 2020
4.Sunflowers – Vincent Van Gogh
sunflowers
The genius of Vincent Van Gogh is captured in this painting of 12 sunflowers. It has become one of the most recognisable of his works.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:36pm On Dec 14, 2020
5.Ceci N’est pas une Pipe – Rene Magritte
ceci-nest-pas-pipe-
A classic example of modern surrealist art. This is not a pipe, but the picture is of a pipe. Why is this famous? We don’t really know. Somehow it became emblematic of surrealism and the paradox of modern life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:37pm On Dec 14, 2020
6.Poppies in a Field – Claude Monet
Claude_Monet_-_Poppy_Field
Claude Monet is one of the great impressionist painters. This beautiful pastoral scene encapsulates the essence of how the impressionists captured the beauty and simplicity of nature. It also captures that pre-industrialist age, which was fast disappearing during Monet’s life. It is an evocation of a bye-gone era. It is hard not to feel nostalgic about this scene. Notice also how the humans are but a sideshow to the overall picture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:41pm On Dec 14, 2020
7. The Last Supper – Leonardo Da Vinci
Last-supper_Da_Vinci_5
Leonardo da Vinci paints one of the most famous scenes in the Bible – The Last Supper. It is after Christ has said one of the disciples will betray him. This is the ultimate soap opera – the ultimate test of man – who will we serve, God or Mammon? This is why we are fascinated by the scene, how would we have behaved at the table of Jesus Christ?

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:43pm On Dec 14, 2020
8. The Girl With a Pearl Earring – Jan Vermeer
the-girl-with-a-pearl-earring
Jan Vermeer painted this iconic portraits (somewhat reminiscent of the Mona Lisa) and is a beautiful example of the Baroque style and the use of light. The age of the girl is deceptively hard to fathom. On the one hand, the beautiful lustrous eyes suggest the innocence of childhood. On the other hand, there are touches of a girl on the threshold of womanhood. It creates a dynamic of purity, innocence and the inevitable change of growing into womanhood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
9.Le Moulin de la Galette – Jean Renoir
Auguste_Renoir_-_Dance_at_Le_Moulin_de_la_Galette

A leading impressionist, Auguste Renoir captures the buzz and excitement of this outdoor scene in Paris. It is Paris at the turn of the Century – a time when Paris was a leading cultural centre of the world, but essentially a place where people were having a good time, enjoying life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2020
10.Peace – Picasso
peace
The simplicity of this symbol of peace by Pablo Picasso remains one of the most powerful pieces of art. Art not just for beauty’s sake – but art for the cause of world peace.

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by okanlanwon44879: 6:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
4.Sunflowers – Vincent Van GoghsunflowersThe genius of Vincent Van Gogh is captured in this painting of 12 sunflowers. It has become one of the most recognisable of his works.
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 15, 2020
OSADNA009:

These are ten of the most famous paintings ever created. It is a personal selection of paintings that have a universal and lasting appeal.

1. Mona Lisa – Leonardo Da Vinci
Mona-Lisa
Leonardo da Vinci worked on his masterpiece over a period of 20 years. He carried it with him everywhere. The enigmatic smile has captured the imagination of the world. It has been stolen twice and now resides in the Louvre, Paris. When the Mona Lisa visited America in the 1960s, it gained a prominence close to that of the then US president John F Kennedy. Why do people queue up for so many hours to catch a fleeting glimpse? Perhaps because it is very human, but at the same time offering a sensation that there is something beyond. In the world, but looking beyond. Is that not a smile of supreme satisfaction? Everyone will have a different opinion, and that is part of the attraction of the painting.

La 'Gioconda'...

This is the painting at the centre of a silent war between Italy and France by the way. smiley
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 15, 2020
OSADNA009:
4.Sunflowers – Vincent Van Gogh
sunflowers
The genius of Vincent Van Gogh is captured in this painting of 12 sunflowers. It has become one of the most recognisable of his works.

But this isn't as famous/popular as Starry Night, is it? sad
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 15, 2020
OP, a few of Paul Rubens paintings should light up this thread.

I speak for a special group of nairalanders. smiley
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by PCG1: 9:25am On Dec 15, 2020
ʀatɛ ʍɨռɛ

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by faceland: 10:21pm On Dec 17, 2020
Agree the Mona Lisa is the famous painting ever (it has been over studied).

However, Starry Night has to be Van Gogh's most famous work and not the flower. Either that or his self-portrait.

Anyway, interesting list.
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 8:11pm On Dec 18, 2020
faceland:
Agree the Mona Lisa is the famous painting ever (it has been over studied).

However, Starry Night has to be Van Gogh's most famous work and not the flower. Either that or his self-portrait.

Anyway, interesting list.
thanks but after doing my research the flower was more popular than starry night.

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by faceland: 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2020
OSADNA009:
thanks but after doing my research the flower was more popular than starry night.

Really, that's something I learnt today as a non academic outer artist.. I knew of mona lisa and the starry night (and his self portrait) since I was a kid (before the internet) that is why I though It was more popular. Most artist who tray to recreate or render his works often choose one of those two and that was how I discover it I think on CNN back in the days. Cheers!
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by OSADNA009(m): 9:25pm On Dec 24, 2020
cheesy
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by TSBO: 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2021
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by CanadaOrBust: 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2021
TSBO:
CanadaOrBust

Sent you a PM. The lady you described in the "A High-achieving Or Ambitious Man Wanted" thread sounds like my kinda person. I would like to meet her.

Let me know what's possible.

If you decide against introducing, kindly also let me know, so I don't keep waiting for a response. Thanks.

I prefer an inactive thread. Too much drama over there. grin

Thanks for your discrete response. Will forward this to her
Re: Most Famous Art Paintings In The World. by TSBO: 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2021
CanadaOrBust:

Thanks for your discrete response. Will forward this to her

Okay. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Wanted An Experienced Video Maker/editor For Phase One Of An Awesome Project / What Other Software Can I Use / Ok. For The First 7 People, I Will Design An Eye-cathching Web Banner, FREE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.