Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Building Nigerians Programmers A Home - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Building Nigerians Programmers A Home (2960 Views)

Calling On All Programmers A Brother Needs Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 11:31am On Feb 05, 2006
THis is the fact we are loosing and taken away in Nigeria, we are doing one or two thing is trying to make money but no one is ready to lay down some sacrify in other to get the best out for his own fathers land. In this programmers room, Skimma, posted a subject in which is best for us to try and build a CMS work which when the world ask this question? who are does guys that come up with this kind of programm? where do they come from? how much do they invested on it? then the answer will be Nigerians..

Is that not a great name and starting to you all in Nigeria.

Please if you guys are really serious about geting this program done, let me know am willing to sacrify my money and time with you guys and i promise you with the matter of time and patience you will see your names out of the world standing as the heros in Nigeria and the Nigerians will be proud of you guys.

Skima, keep it up and let me know what you need to start this and any one who is interested in this should at least let me know then i will contribute my money and program to it.

Good Luck,
Let make it MADE IN NIGERIA
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by joftech(m): 1:20pm On Feb 06, 2006
Why don't you go and put your money and time in Wazobia linux.

What's the govt policy on ICT development?
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 2:16pm On Feb 06, 2006
@joftech, can you please tell me what is ICT and govt policies relating to ICT and wazobialinux?
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 4:32pm On Feb 06, 2006
Omo na wa for you joftech ooo weti you mean? and beside how do you plan to assist Naija with the little you have? make i even ask you, abi all you want is to continue telling people sir and ma and make we no become oga one day.. Omo no be me tufiaqua
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by joftech(m): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2006
@joftech, can you please tell me what is ICT and govt policies relating to ICT and wazobialinux?

@Sbu, i know you know what ICT is. Naija govt policy is wack or better still non-existent. Wazobialinux is a Nigerian Linux distro.

Omo na wa for you joftech ooo weti you mean? and beside how do you plan to assist Nigeria with the little you have? make i even ask you, abi all you want is to continue telling people sir and ma and make we no become oga one day.. Omo no be me tufiaqua

Goog Nigerian, i know you are the one that will bring back naija's lost glory. Why must someone give to a country that find it difficult to give one the basic things of life. You work for the govt no pay, no stable/regular power supply (or do you want to do your free coding on genertator), no access to credit card payment(or don't you know the charges on the alternatives) etc

You see naija is not the kind of country one can die for, if you do have just wasted a resource.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by demmy(m): 9:53am On Feb 07, 2006
You see naija is not the kind of country one can die for, if you do have just wasted a resource.

That is a very very unfortunate mentality. If all Nigerians think like that joftech we are doomed.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by Seun(m): 11:23am On Feb 07, 2006
You're not supposed to die for your country. If anything, you are supposed to live for it. Throwing your life away is not what will make the country great.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2006
Yes i understand with you all, i belt you if we are to look into that! we wount have even be here that we are now, as you can see.. you have the access to do you own thing but without any government help or assistant, yes if we are to look into what Nigeria is, huh my brother and sister we will end up being noting but i do belive the great americans went through all this before they can happly stand up now and say i want to die for America.. So let try and make thing change on our own side and we should stop l,ooking on the government face and also face the fact of life.

So guys wake up and see that we are one and we have to build our own home not Nigeria home.. Your father land is still your land and ajooo ko le da bi ile. come back home Naija guys.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by oasis: 6:24am On Feb 08, 2006

I agree totally with joftech.

I don't know what it is.  But Nigerians at home don't get it.  I often hear pleas for people abroad to return home.  Return to what?  The reason that somebody abroad is doing well is that basic needs are met.  Such basic needs are beyond a common man's ability to provide.  I'm speaking of: roads, electricity, freedom of trade, hospitals, telecommunication, personal safety, health, law and order, freedom of speech, government funding for R&grin, etc.  Without these things, a pro abroad cannot apply his knowledge efficiently, if at all.  You cannot get blood out of a stone.

Our government is blessed with easy $1 billion a week oil money.  It all gets stolen.  Yet you expect me to pick up the pieces?  No way jose.  Direct your energy toward eradicating corruption, and you'd soon see people returning home.

I know a doctor (MD) who went home to do feasibility studies.  He returned with no doubt in his mind that he's staying in America.  Why?  Because he was met with a serious culture shock in Nigeria.  The gap is just too wide.  Hospitals barely have beds, let alone sophisticated equipments.  Yes, he could return home, but nobody would be able to afford his services after he spends hundreds of millions of $$ acquiring medical equipments.

Every professional needs tools to work.  Nigeria does not provide those tools.  Therefore, returning home would not have the desired effect.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 1:08am On Feb 10, 2006
The same mentality for africa is till applying on Nigerians, but why,i think Nigerians are more advance and explosed.. Why dont you want to build your own home and all you could say is that' the best place for you is your negbours house, why not ask yourself this question that? what if my neighbour one day refuse to allow me into his house, where will i go to..

Let be frank with each other, it is more better to build your home and start feeling at home, and how do you build your own, it is very simple, by you first checking yourself and making sure you are okay before throwning a blame on your sisiter or brother.

Government have tried their own best, then it is ours time to help ourself not even the government. because already government has tried, look a man in Nigeria owns 40 companys and yet there is noting he or she can count to have set out for the marcys, and what do you think Government will do, why not think that if this man, use his means to proimote or help others, huh what a change this life will be for Nigerians, that is how americans become something today my brother ooo. Sacrify your self for your country.
Stop bringing out excusess
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by oasis: 1:26am On Feb 10, 2006
Government have tried their own best, then it is ours time to help ourself not even the government.

No. The government hasn't tried its best. I don't see the good roads. I don't see modern hospitals, banks, research institutions, easy import/export policies, good schools, law enforcement, etc. I don't see salaries being paid on time.

Do you seriously believe a mere mortal abroad who returns home can provide himself with these things? Or are those the government's job, which it has failed at?

You're lying to yourself, if you fail to see these things.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 1:37am On Feb 10, 2006

@geton, could you tell us what you think the govt. has done for us?  We may not have known since we are abroad and I know many diasporas keep abreast of info back home.  But let say out of ignorance, could you enlighten us on govt. contributions to that entity called Nigeria?
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 1:49am On Feb 10, 2006
Yes guys, thanks God you are out there and i do believe you can tell more than i do over there but the fact till remain this, ask yourself this! are the government over there not corrupt? do they do all needed by the people? and if you can give the answer at 100% then come home and stone your first stone at the government. Listen my fellow guys this is life and this is what me and you have to come and do, number one who where asking me what has government done for your country,now ask me? how many people have the freedom to have cell phone at there hands? now? also how many people has been browsing from thier homes now? See government has provide us with communication.

Secondly, the fight against corruption has it not been a best interest to the foriegn countries now, that Nigerians are getiting ride of scammers at the little they can do for now? Thirdly electricity is getiing more standby now! not like before, at least we can celebrate an half day current in Nigerian, Remember half bread is better than none..

See guys roads can be asign to as a contract, if you are rich you can walk on to the government that sir,could you please allow me build up this road from here to here? fine aint you helping?
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 2:50am On Feb 10, 2006

@geton, I think you are really frustrated or should I say confused.  What are you talking about?  Please can you enlighten yourself a little, don't spat quizzical penchant you cannot back!

If your desire in life is to commend the govt at their current achievement since 1960 to providing communication, half day electricity and tackling corruption, I think you need to go and check your mind.  I use to think I am privilege to travel off the shores.  Thanks to many Nigerians I see travelling just for holidays, they do not want to stay, because competition is high.

I think schools should have it compulsory for students to travel away at their final year abroad to come and see what we refer to as Government and politics.

Like you said no govt. is 100% good, but at least the West provides for there people, good road, jobs, health, unemployed, banking, commerce, education the list comes on and on.  Some govt would even go and invade another country just to provide for their people.

Listen and learn, Nigerian govt has done NOTHING good for us, nothing at all.  We are not asking for handouts.  We are highly intelligent African country.  All we ask is descent road, national health service, proper policies for banking, housing, good education policies, constant electric and water, good police system (Not the ones that will shoot you when they see u are Nigeria coming from abroad), our own national airline for crying out loud, transport system, look after our unemployed and old people.

These are the basic thing the govt. needs to provide and you see in inflow of Nigerians abroad and business minded Nigerians will came back invest and provide jobs.  We are not asking govt to provide jobs we can do that.  All we ask is descent infrastructure.   If someone claims that Nigerian govt. has provided any one of these since 1960, they must really be sick upstair.

Let me give you a quote from Kimberley Ronald, a research student Possible solutions for today's environmental problems must rely on physical technology and various political and econornic instruments, but this is not enough.

Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by oasis: 5:03am On Feb 10, 2006
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2006

Thank you Oasis, some people seriously need to be enlightened.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 8:06am On Feb 11, 2006
yea yea what ever, i really see to your reason guys and really that is the most important thing a nation will need, such as road, transportation,electri and more.. then should i ask you guys what do you all think is the solution to this in our Naija country? and how do we the people i mean citizen help the nation?

Nice guys..
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 12:56pm On Feb 11, 2006

Now, you are talking intellectually. First geton, we need a true leader, and we can not get him/her from heaven we have to elect a true leader.  When you see calibres like Mr Nelson Mandela you'd known straight away you have a leader.  It does not matter where he/she comes from in Nigeria.

Once this is done.  That leader will take the first term in his/her office to bring peace to the country. He will elect by merit lawmaker (Judiciary) and bring total order to that country.

I am not a good economist but I will try.  He will create a good laws systems that must be abide by contractor, like a contract of N1billion would not be paid to the contractors unless an external organisation approves that the contractor are doing there jobs, hence (A contractor should have money before taking up a contract).  Our Banking system, a lot needs to be done here like loans mortgages, pension, salaries, bonds, equity, all these products will be primarily for everyone not just the rich.  Electricity, in a topic I have theorise many solutions for electricity NOT Nuclear Energy.  Look at Zimbabwe, they use geothermal energy to power their electricity and no complain.

We have a lot of scientist in Diaspora that would come back and help.  Roads, this would be 10 years or more contract to develop our roads and tax cars owner to pay tax, at least police will have a reason to stop cars without road tax.  Heavy vehicle and large Goods Vehicle should pay more and diesel petrol should be charged more to petrol users.  Nigeria should also allocate the national precious export (Oil) to a national agreed recommend volume, money is not everything look at where it has gotten us.  We should have reservoirs and sell more petrol in Nigeria and help our African nations they are our brothers (Together we stand, like EU).

Corruption, no body will tell anyone that this is a New Nigeria because corruption especially in public office will be dealt with.  If I have the veto, I will push and recommend a bill to be passed to house of senate for 10 years for corrupt offenders.

Education, women are better teacher, a woman should handle this post, better policies for our children not just cowboys with fake certs to go and teach our children.  Have a recommend value each school should produced every year else they would face closure. We can monitor this my examination board like WAEC/SSSS.  This will lessen the burden that every parent wants his or her children to go to private school.

Health, this is where govt have to invest lots of money.  I can tell you in the US 30% of doctor down there are Nigerians. We also have good nurses in US and other parts of the world and even in Nigeria.  Nigerian Doctors can learn from those coming abroad and become better doctor.  Have a separate committee that monitor all these bodies, independent committee they called them here in UK.  We are populous, if government make a law to collect N1 from everyone every month towards there health that should be N180,000,000 every month and I am sure everyone will want to pay for a free health. 

Govt, should have a way to collect money from Nigeria, i.e tax etc to help toward building infrastructure not just depend on oil.

Housing, every state should have housing association, this association should provide housing for families and workers.  Govt should put a standard housing rent that people (poor) can afford and make sure no working father/mother with children are left on the street.

I will write more.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by oasis: 6:31pm On Feb 11, 2006
Thanks sbucareer.  It's encouraging to know there are still people out there who know what is going on.

Everything in any nation revolves around its citizens.  In order to reform Nigeria, we first need to build a comprehensive database of Nigerians.  It's easy to build such a system with cheap commodity computers networked in a server farm.  No need to award another billion dollar contract for that.  LAMP is free.  Get experienced web application programmers to create a good database for this purpose.  It can be done in 6 months to a year.  Once it's online, it would be accessible nationwide via the net.  Everything would be secure, just use https protocol.

With such system in place, record keeping becomes very easy.  You would know who hasn't paid his taxes, who has committed crimes in the past, who deserves government benefits.  Court cases can be stored, government financial transactions can be documented, etc.  The issuing of national ID cards becomes easy and fraud-free.

To further combat fraud, you'd have several levels of overseers.  One level keeping an eye on the other's actions, as far as handling the database is concerned. 

Take America for example, the reason that America works is not because the people are honest.  It's because there are four branches of government, one keeping an eye on the others' actions.  Executive, legislative, judiciary, and the media.  The executive has veto power, elects the judiciary, etc.  The legislature can impeach the executive arm, and also makes laws. The judiciary rules whether laws made by the legislative arm is constitutional or unconstitutional.  Finally, the media keeps an eye on the Executive, legislative, judiciary, the media too.

A system without checks and balances does not work.

I can write a book on things Nigeria should be doing to move the nation forward.  But what is new?  Nigerian leaders do not have any interest in the progress of Nigeria.  Just as sbucareer said: we need a true leader.  That is all we need.  We have the money.  We're blessed with smart people.  We have all the resources.  All we need are leaders who have the interest of the nation at heart, and would like to see it move into the modern age.

It's a seriously flawed thought to think that Nigerians abroad returning home is the nations salvation.  NOOO!  The environment you live in determines how much you can do.  Unfortunately, the Nigerian environment today does not let you do much.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 9:28am On Feb 12, 2006
Am so delighted about this, and really i can see we really have talented people in our country Nigeria, yes the simple truth still lies wait, WE NEED A LEADRER that is just it, and more over if we keep on saying this we need a leader for years huh!! how are we going to get one? Ley my brilliant guys help me out on this?

I like making note but note without a key is noting at all, that is to say the same problem that is affecting us in Nigeria now, One state government will set up a program without a back up, now tell what will happen to does programs that need changes. Huh maybe you guys dont get me right this is what i mean.

They are trying to get of fraud and scam in this country, but they havent create any source of employment; that even if the scammers decide to leave scam' what will they now do if there is no employment in other to suvival? this is what i mean a program without back up.

Secondly after the govermnet might have tried to invert a program, they will thrown away maintaines, and if you cant maintain then you will only loss what ever you might have inverted.

So guys i see reason with you all but how do we choose this leaders and where do we start from? you know all what you made mention can not just start in a day but step by step, so how do we do it, where and what can me and you now do in other to start reaching out or spreading this to people out there.

Also do you all agree with me that Nigeria need a change, we are not blessed but more than blessed and givethed.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 2:46pm On Feb 12, 2006

Thank you very much geton for your insight to this conversation.  Let me try and answer your question one after the other.  Now, we are practicing democracy right? Which means we must have parties.  I am not really familiar with parties in Nigeria but I know of one party called PDP.

Who is the party chairman?  I mean who is the chairman of PDP. Can you tell us what he did in his past life? What is he doing today? Can you also tell us the slogan of PDP?

It is like looking for job, you have to take time and learn about the company so you don't get caught unawares at the interview. Who are the other body that makes up PDP?  If you can answer these questions you have already know what the party is all about.  Now coming to electing a leader.  We do not have choice on that, the party elect leader and we vote for the party.

Now, if you give your precious vote to a cowboy party with little or no interest of you, then what is happening in Nigeria today is what we get.  I heard that Rtd General Badamasi Babangida is coming back again. Come on how many times are we going to be fooled. It takes only one look to know a nefarious person. Why does he really want to come back? What will he do this time differently? What will he do about growing tribal disagreements, marginalization, poverty, international debt, schools, health, banking, electricity, roads, housing, etc? He should be put on TV for an interview.  They do it here in the UK when a party elect a new leader.

Besides, don't we have a shadow president? Do leaders always emerge during general election? He should be campaigning since 8 years ago and providing solid laws and reforms within his party and challenging President Olushegu Obasango policies that he did not like. 

Where do he think he can learn all these things? When he presides the site of the presidency? Come on!

It is unfortunate, the person I would have like him to rule the country is dead, Kain Saro-Wiwa, not that he qualifies for the post by merit but his vision towards his people. He has the interest of his people at heart.  Someone of that calibre is what we need, someone that has the interest of Nigerians particularly ordinary man at heart.

Many Nigerians do not do research as to whom they want to give their vote.  As long as the man speaks their language it is ok for them because that ignorance that the man will have their interest overshadow their thought, forgetting that this is not just a one language country, that this is multi lingual Nigerian and any leader should have showed tolerance of this in the past.

Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by oasis: 7:19pm On Feb 12, 2006
@geton

I understand your question.  People involved in scams want to quit, but there's nowhere for them to go.  It's a catch22.  You also metioned that we cannot reform Nigeria suddenly.  It must be done gradually. 

It all goes back once again to leadership.  For this to happen, we need a leader with vision.  A leader who has a large capacity for planning.  He/she must be able to think like a computer programmer who creates a huge flowchart that allows him to see the result of his application even before he writes one line of code.  We do have such people, but their chances of getting elected is slim to none.  Our politics is defined not by ability, but by tribal/religious affiliations.

Election campaigns in Nigeria is a circus.  In the developed world, every little dirt about a person is dug up.  They have records about every action you've ever taken in your life.  If you've ever beat up your wife, it's on record.  Which is why we need to have a database of Nigerians as I've already suggested.  Now, if a candidate has demonstrated a pattern of good leadership in the past, it's very likely he'd do well as our president.

This whole question falls to votes.  Will Nigeria ever have a population that would vote based on merits, rather than tribe/religion?  Can millions of muslims vote for a christian candidate?  Can Yorubas and Hausas vote overwhelmingly for an Igbo candidate, even when there is a Yoruba and Hausa contestant?  If you say yes, then we have a chance.  If you say no, then we have a long way to go. 

We came close one time.  Murtala Muhammad would have done so much for Nigeria, but they killed him after only 6 months.  What does that say about the fact that Nigeria doesn't like progress?

The bottomline is, Nigerian leaders are generally selfish.  Until that changes, nothing is going to change.  We'd simply keep going round in circles of leader after leader.  Now and then people abroad will return home and do their part.  But a few men can only do so much in the presence of overwhelming opposition to progress.  The only way to move the nation forward is for the leaders to start adopting positive policies.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 9:17am On Feb 13, 2006
@oasis,

Thanks really i see reason to your point, this can come to end if only those point are taken and also guys this is very fine comment and points, but tell me guys do we create a database for people to read such articles and post more, like trying to point out there comment and if we are to do this, we will try to emback it on the citizen coos if the citizen can understand thier right then i think progress will start from there. Like if they know that choosen a leadership is not just on mere words or tribes either religion, then they will know how to vote for the right person,

See guys but i still believe that Nigeria can be helped by providing free things to them in other to generate and draw there attension to you demand.

Am really feeling too bad for my country Naija the way things are going, it really making me feel as if, is this country going to change for the best? i belt i stll havent fine an answer to this, but only one thing that keeps on hiting me; is that if only we citizen can stand for our right and let fight it together we will win and see it through.

Do agree with me that Nigeria is a country that when something happens all they will say is that " We go manage am now, All we they pray is for God to answer our prayer" guys do you believe this statement or not? i think if we stand and say no " we no go greee" and we protest against that thing and we'll see that changes will occurs.

Tell me guys what you think about my comment.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 12:25pm On Feb 13, 2006

Oasis, I totally agree with you on central database scheme. It would solve lots of our problems and enhance our public services applications.

Also geton I agree with your quote We go manage am now,  All we they pray is for God to answer our prayer That is a typical Nigeria man attitude to a serious delicate problem. We always confined to God to come down from heavens and solve our problems. God might have done it for Israel in the bible but the people of Israelites prepared themselves before they Egyptians came running into a big hole they have dogged coupled with a shinning glass that blinded their vision against the sun.

The point is that we need to stand up for ourselves like geton said and fight the government. Like our work union, universities organizing a peaceful demonstration calling for resignation of corrupt politicians and demanding new and working policies for our country. Media, providing accurate coverage for the world to see what is happening.

You will see people abroad will help by protesting in their countries of residence by means of peaceful matching to their respective government office with placard calling for some resignation of some top officials.

The idea of the database by oasis is very well taken in, how are we going to secure and process it? This database would provide a primary focal point in our national security. I would recommend this type of database NOT to be online. Like the police in this country do, they call in to a person that can access the database intranetly and obtain information via radio.

These database can then be fragmented to various location according to state turple. Database would solve lots of our problem that is for sure.

To geton, electing a leader is simple, like I said above, let say you have a company and you have the interest of your company at heart, you'd employ someone with a good track record to help you company grow. How do you do this? By posting you advertisement far and wide also conducting a very good constructive interview, even maybe asking the interviewees to take a test to prove their ability. The same thing can be done in politics.

I can't say we need massive education, as Nigeria is a well-educated nation. The amount of graduates coming out of university every year across all state is mind blowing. I can not really answer this question How many educated people are back home? because we do not keep database like oasis said. But it'd bee nice to know this figure.

So, educating people is not really the key for people giving their votes to cowboys. Everyone know what is good and bad but I think Nigeria are refusing to change from their bad ways and it is really a shame. Every country is moving forward, India, China, South Africa, Ghana, Gabon, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leon etc but Nigeria is going down day by day, it is really a shame to African giant Oil producing state. I am sure God will ask everyone not just the leaders what did you do for Nigeria? Did you love yourself so much you careless about Nigeria?

Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by skima(m): 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2006
true talk. I think if we can start doing someting right from where we are then there will surely be a change!
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 3:37pm On Feb 13, 2006

I am not for any indifferent person that would set-up a cult/society to fight Nigerian government. Martin Luther King Jr. did not do so. Many martyr did not do so. I wish universities in Nigeria should be encourage to participate in online discussion like Nairaland.com This people have the power in any society in the world. The truth is that universities are the key success of any nation.

They say knowledge is power and I wonder where all Nigerian graduate power is? Write a letter to the police commissioner asking for police to be supplied for a peaceful match to the house of senate on so so date. People like Nobel prize winner Wole Soyinka etc will come on that day.

We should have petition from students upraise to fight this corrupt government and install someone that can do the job. We have the power that is why we are practicing or trying to practice democracy. The government for the people by the by.

This is just my recommendation, some might even come up with better plan. Even boycott Voting day. If we don’t challenge the ruling power thing will never change. If we don’t make them feel that their seat is attainable they would remain supreme.

We need to take some sort of action.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by joftech(m): 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2006
There's chronic and acute apathy in all Nigerians, so don expect any miracle. Things will continue to roll like they used to for years to come until there's no more money in oil.

Can anyone tell me the ideology Nigeria is following, in my opinion it's non. People get to power only to enrich themselves.

You are all talking about universities, what do the graduates know?

You will be suprised if you ask a graduate
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by sbucareer(f): 9:02pm On Feb 13, 2006

@ joftech, I hear you and I agree with you, but we will not say because fish died in water and not drink water anymore. We have serious problem and we need serious solutions.

It is a shame that our graduates are not leaving up to standard and who do you blame?

Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by geton(m): 2:50pm On Feb 14, 2006
Yea i agreee with you, if we can get across this forum to the university across this nation then i think that is a starting point and @subca that is true talk we cant because a fish is died and we stop drinking water, we all most note that we need a change, so guys let keep it up now, how do we start?
1. if you have a website, place an advert over it to direct viewer to a page where you will at least explain a little bit and they drive them back to nairaland.com to completely join and see more.
2. By spreading it face to face and mouth to mouth
3. you have working in a media company give him or her an articles to place on the daily papers.
4. If you can draw cartoons draw and send out to paper companys to set it up.
e.t.c.

I think this can help spread this forum out to people and i think from there we all can start reaching out to our people to understand the main thing we all want in this country and also as you all will agree with me that communication is to key to reach out to people so, guys let do something and i belive God will bless us all, just sacrify a time and some money and energy for your country is a glory to you if we can do this,

I will help place to my own website and direct people to this forum and i will email this to some unviersity and also i will try and reach with CNN.com to do something like announcing it out.

Do your best for your country okay.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by alexis(m): 2:08am On Feb 28, 2006
Insightful, simply insightful. In my view, Nigeria is the most complex country to lead. The only way we can move forward is when we decide that we want a change, a few of us do - most of us don't.

We need a overhaul, a complete change in the mentality - you got to have people to think right. Most Nigerians have accepted Nigeria as it is - we know Nigeria is a country where anyone can do anything, take laws into their hands, NEPA takes light anytime, when you give them money, they bring it back.

I support the central dbase system, it will really help us.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by Ynot(m): 7:58pm On Feb 28, 2006
joftech:

There's chronic and acute apathy in all Nigerians, so don expect any miracle. Things will continue to roll like they used to for years to come until there's no more money in oil.

Can anyone tell me the ideology Nigeria is following, in my opinion it's non. People get to power only to enrich themselves.

In addition to the nice suggestions you all made, joftech hit the jackpot: OIL. We export crude oil in exchange to foreign currency. But as soon as the money hit Nigerian shore, it tends to evaporate into thin air. Who are stealing the money? What are they doing with it? Absolutely Nothing! Any President that will have the balls to put a hold on any/all kinds of oil exportation, at least for 4 years, will be the best President Nigeria will ever have. If there is no money coming in, there won't be any to steal. At least, there will be enough for the masses to use within the country. I think there should be other ways the government can generate money.
Re: Building Nigerians Programmers A Home by AbujaBoy(m): 12:35am On Mar 02, 2006
I'd rather do some standalone projects than delve into making a nationwide project. Things of this nature such as programming for Nigerians, or making a programming base evolved around Nigeria would be nice, but it'll take _alot_ of programmers to start up, we should look into making projects made in Nigeria, used widely that way we get recognition, hence the community I wanted to start up that nobody really cared to take notice of.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Converting Stand-alone Application To Network-based(client-server) / [Software Review]My 1st Mobile App, Please Evaluate & Let Me Know What To Adjust / Free Embedded Systems Design Seminar In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.