Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

"It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence (12159 Views)

Vivian Lam Speaks On Gender Based Violence, Seeks The Protection Of Women / EU Removes Basketmouth As Ambassador For Sexual & Gender Based Violence / Please, If You Can Get This Across To Chimamnda Ngozi Adichie, Do So. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 17, 2020
Frankice12:
 Overwhelmly female pregnancies are terminated specifically because they are female" Chimamnda Adichie speaks on gender-based violence and says it starts from the womb.
She pointed out that from the time they are born, baby boys are treated differently from baby girls.
She acknowledged that there is woman-on-woman violence and man-on-man violence but said the majority of the cases of domestic violence is perpetrated on women by men.
She added that men also suffer based on their gender because they are shamed for not being financially rich, for showing weakness and for failing.
She said a lot need to change and suggested what this change should look like.

WATCH VIDEO as she speaks on sensational issues of gender inequality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84C29f8Y7Nw

Fake news
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:04am On Dec 17, 2020
BafanaBafana:

What I stated are facts and not opinions. I suggest you do a little research before arguing or you study a little bit of psychology then you will understand the bias in the biological make up of male and female.

It was an opinion not a fact you mixed it up from your angle

Oh I did a little research and found out that it was not bigger brains per say but a particular makeup in the brains of both sexes resulting to higher volumes because of entropy.

Nowhere did any of these reasearches made it an authority or indicator that it makes men superior to women they are biological make up in women that they also have higher than men does it then mean that because of such makeup women are superior to men no.No gender is superior to the other so your argument of such holds no water neither does your analogy.On an average is different from nature there are short men,men who are not stronger than women or bigger than them.Stop using neurosexism and stating that because of some unique higher make up both genders have in higher quantity than the other is not a reason or basis to claim superiority in any gender
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 17, 2020
Kondomatic:

Women are more violent than men but women think men are more violent because women don't count violence against house helps as a domestic violence

As for Adiche, let her continue telling her half truths.

In Nigeria for instance, the girl child is treated better than the boy child. Of course we still have people who would rather have male children than female children but that's not my my point.

Adiche should leave OYIBO people and visit northern states in Nigeria and show me female almajiri.

Most out of school children are males.

All child laborer are male.

All underaged apprentice are male.

I could go on.

Even in the East, most guys are sent out at a very early age to learn trade or handwork while the girls continue with school.

Once the boy is settled, the family responsibility automatically falls of them, that includes the girl's education.

You might think I am derailing but I want to draw your attention to the root of domestic violence among married people.

Boys were programmed from birth by women to dislike women.

If you're fortunate and you and your sister are in school, you will see that your sister receives twice and sometimes trice the amount they give to you for upkeep. Simply because she's a woman. Adiche doesn't see this.

Those who are on the street, those unfortunate almajiri, the unlucky child laborer receive the worst treatment from women.

Now as an apprentice, your worst enemy is your Oga's wife. They show you hell.
Treat you worse than animal and in some cases, ensure that you're given nothing after serving them for a minimum of 8 years.

You will go home and start life from scratch.

Have you not noticed that the popular Igbo apprenticeship is no longer what it used to be? What happened? Simple, once the lucky one is settled, he will swear that none of his blood will pass the threw system again.

This inhumane treatment where given to us by women, our master's wife.

Now after you survive and marry a woman, it becomes difficult to see her as an equal, because you've seen and experienced what they can do. Because you've developed some defense mechanism.

So whenever she tries any rubbish, you will say never again and the fight starts.

Ya diri gi na ezinaulo gị mma......

Chukwu gozie gị......

You just gave it to her....

If to say na debate you for win her hands down......

Odogwu ka ịbụ

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by freeborn02: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2020
Jodha:
The issue of domestic violence is getting out of hand..
Many people are not okay upstairs and need therapeutic help....but rather they're in marriages..

I know so many women that their husbands beat them to stupor and throw their things out of the house at the slightest provocation...but they're still in the marriage...

Please check my signature.... I have both male and female watches and I sell human hair of all grades... please support my hussle

You forget that there are also so many women that abuse and even murder their husbands. That doesn't matter to you, right?

You are biased.

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:16am On Dec 17, 2020
Ardar:

Honestly, this same argument of men being superior because of strength and size is getting old. I admit these attributes were essential in the olden days but its not anymore.

That's why there's a saying about "working smart not hard"
Well said
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by offset67(m): 9:50am On Dec 17, 2020
I fvcking hate feminist

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by rapcy(m): 10:35am On Dec 17, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
Gender based discrimination starts from the womb.
One of the examples is when hospitals charge higher for delivery if it's a male child and lower if it's a female child.
That is, if they charge 15k for a male child, they will charge 10k for a female child.

See one kind mumu lie

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 17, 2020
MADAM, I don't have issues with your ASSERTION but before you engage men, can you please start educating your fellow Ladies to appreciate their fellow women..
Have you ever sat down to tell WOMEN to stop maltreating and poisoning their MAIDS at homes...?
These are the issues.
MEN are not the issue here.
Ladies should embrace their likes and live in peace among them.
Why can't two sisters live peacefully in a ROOM.?
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by FreeSpirited: 10:45am On Dec 17, 2020
Most Ladies don't even believe in this lie called equality...But they have to pose and pretend they do cos it's the fad
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by thorpido(m): 10:51am On Dec 17, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
One of the examples is when hospitals charge higher for delivery if it's a male child and lower if it's a female child.
That is, if they charge 15k for a male child, they will charge 10k for a female child.
Please where did you experience this?
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by BafanaBafana: 10:59am On Dec 17, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

It was an opinion not a fact you mixed it up from your angle

Oh I did a little research and found out that it was not bigger brains per say but a particular makeup in the brains of both sexes resulting to higher volumes because of entropy.

Nowhere did any of these reasearches made it an authority or indicator that it makes men superior to women they are biological make up in women that they also have higher than men does it then mean that because of such makeup women are superior to men no.No gender is superior to the other so your argument of such holds no water neither does your analogy.On an average is different from nature there are short men,men who are not stronger than women or bigger than them.Stop using neurosexism and stating that because of some unique higher make up both genders have in higher quantity than the other is not a reason or basis to claim superiority in any gender
K
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Alexgeneration(m): 11:01am On Dec 17, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
Why should they be charged equally?

You think men and women are equal because Chimamanda and some females told you so?

Wake up and smell the coffee, it's a man's world and we are not equals, whatever power women have was given to them and not taken.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by afroxyz: 11:03am On Dec 17, 2020
This fool has never spoken for the benefit of the nation like Achebe and Soyinka. Always chasing white liberal ideology because she wants to win Nobel prize. During python dance we no hear her voice. Bokoharam killed people we no hear her voice. End sars protest we no hear her voice. But she had the tine to march for gay rights in the United States. She is just chasing her agenda
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by atausenima(f): 11:06am On Dec 17, 2020
i think u make sense,it sound real to us....
Kondomatic:

Women are more violent than men but women think men are more violent because women don't count violence against house helps as a domestic violence

As for Adiche, let her continue telling her half truths.

In Nigeria for instance, the girl child is treated better than the boy child. Of course we still have people who would rather have male children than female children but that's not my my point.

Adiche should leave OYIBO people and visit northern states in Nigeria and show me female almajiri.

Most out of school children are males.

All child laborer are male.

All underaged apprentice are male.

I could go on.

Even in the East, most guys are sent out at a very early age to learn trade or handwork while the girls continue with school.

Once the boy is settled, the family responsibility automatically falls of them, that includes the girl's education.

You might think I am derailing but I want to draw your attention to the root of domestic violence among married people.

Boys were programmed from birth by women to dislike women.

If you're fortunate and you and your sister are in school, you will see that your sister receives twice and sometimes trice the amount they give to you for upkeep. Simply because she's a woman. Adiche doesn't see this.

Those who are on the street, those unfortunate almajiri, the unlucky child laborer receive the worst treatment from women.

Now as an apprentice, your worst enemy is your Oga's wife. They show you hell.
Treat you worse than animal and in some cases, ensure that you're given nothing after serving them for a minimum of 8 years.

You will go home and start life from scratch.

Have you not noticed that the popular Igbo apprenticeship is no longer what it used to be? What happened? Simple, once the lucky one is settled, he will swear that none of his blood will pass the threw system again.

This inhumane treatment where given to us by women, our master's wife.

Now after you survive and marry a woman, it becomes difficult to see her as an equal, because you've seen and experienced what they can do. Because you've developed some defense mechanism.

So whenever she tries any rubbish, you will say never again and the fight starts.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Tokkson: 11:37am On Dec 17, 2020
kalu61:
The day you these feminist recognize that nature by it wisdom has place man above women and everything has been program by nature to that effect. No amount of civilization will eradicate that until the universe is recreated. Even the almighty bible neglected to census women.

Nations needs men in the millitry
Men will continue to invade and take over territories.
Women and children need men for protection.

Have you asked why the female population is almost double of men?
Have you asked why the male spermatozoa has little competitive swimming disadvantage?

The woman was made for the man

Even females, wife, mothers know the importance of a male child in the society and are co culprit in the so called abortion.

When a wife is yet to get a male child in this part of the world, them go cool like pure water but immediately male child lands, wahala for who marry bad wife grin

Even though you almost balanced your statement but it didn't hide the objective

You guys say this all the time and it is wrong. The men to women ratio of the world's Population is slightly higher in favour of men (about 50.2 % or so)
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by purples25(f): 11:59am On Dec 17, 2020
In the last days, men will think they are better than women.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Jodha(f): 12:23pm On Dec 17, 2020
SaintChukz:

How much is the hublot wristwatch?

It's 11k ... please kindly send a Whatsapp message to any of the numbers on my signature
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by tidalstorm(m): 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Lol women own guns abroad and go for practice.
Compared to men, how many do?

You are the one deceiving yourself if you actually think women don't do strenious jobs it is not common in this climate does not mean it does not happen.So because of strenuous jobs you think men are superior because of physical strength you are the one deceiving yourself and wake up to 2020 because in today's world physical strength alone is not a measure of superiority.Men are not superior to women it is a common fact there is nothing to be done about it because men are not superior to women.

Yes not only physical strength, but mental strength too. Women wey dey emotional, small thing dem go start dey cry.
If you drop a group of men in the jungle and a group of women. I can bet you the men are 50% more likely to survive than women. If that's not superiority i don't what is.

Which children learn roles themselves have you not heard of female bodybuilders and male fashionista's abroad you are the one deceiving yourself not me don't go and learn skills and acquire intelligence and enhance your knowledge that is what helps someone in this time and age not physical strength dey there dey argue about strenuous jobs like as if that is an aspect of what indicates superiority I can easily argue things that women do better than men does that mean women are superior to men no they are not and men themselves are not superior to women.
Are you talking about gays?
Shebi you no know say those guys dey wired differently. And that sef is not the norm. Las las, women can't do many things better than men. Check am internationally.
The best cooks, nurses, fashion designers etc are still all men. Even house husbands sef. Only thing be say women fit give birth

It is not about nature mr man you are getting it wrong most of the things feminist advocate for has to do with societal roadblocks for women of women could not cheat nature as you claim in your myopic mind how come women have rights as that of men how come we have women pilots,engineers,bodybuilders etc and other so called male dominated barriers women have started breaking into.Just go and sit down instead of arguing about what you know nothing about

Madam as long as I'm concerned, women have more rights than men. There is nothing like societal roadblocks for women in this century except in the middle east. Women no dey put there selves out their and can become all those professions you listed but will rather marry than suffer.
Things have to be made easier for them.
Things like women ministry etc.
They were giving anti-tetanus vaccines in my area and that its only for women. I come ask men nko? Men that are even more likely to get tetanus, they work with more metals etc like mechanics, blacksmiths, welders, etc.
If to say na only men wey the anti-tetanus dey meant for, you go hear backlash for social media and all this feminist organisations.

Madam stop they blame society, start blaming nature. Na humans dey form culture of a place based on what works and in effect, the society.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Benoxvals(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2020
Jodha:
The issue of domestic violence is getting out of hand..
Many people are not okay upstairs and need therapeutic help....but rather they're in marriages..

I know so many women that their husbands beat them to stupor and throw their things out of the house at the slightest provocation...but they're still in the marriage...

Please check my signature.... I have both male and female watches and I sell human hair of all grades... please support my hussle

What brand of watch are you selling ?
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2020
tidalstorm:

[s]Compared to men, how many do?

Yes not only physical strength, but mental strength too. Women wey dey emotional, small thing dem go start dey cry.
If you drop a group of men in the jungle and a group of women. I can bet you the men are 50% more likely to survive than women. If that's not superiority i don't what is.

Are you talking about gays?
Shebi you no know say those guys dey wired differently. And that sef is not the norm. Las las, women can't do many things better than men. Check am internationally.
The best cooks, nurses, fashion designers etc are still all men. Even house husbands sef. Only thing be say women fit give birth

Madam as long as I'm concerned, women have more rights than men. There is nothing like societal roadblocks for women in this century except in the middle east. Women no dey put there selves out their and can become all those professions you listed but will rather marry than suffer.
Things have to be made easier for them.
Things like women ministry etc.
They were giving anti-tetanus vaccines in my area and that its only for women. I come ask men nko? Men that are even more likely to get tetanus, they work with more metals etc like mechanics, blacksmiths, welders, etc.
If to say na only men wey the anti-tetanus dey meant for, you go hear backlash for social media and all this feminist organisations.

Madam stop they blame society, start blaming nature. Na humans dey form culture of a place based on what works and in effect, the society[/s].

I won't waste my time on an ignorant fellow.

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by tidalstorm(m): 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I won't waste my time on an ignorant fellow.

grin grin grin
madam i used to think like a feminist but we no dey the same.
I sat down one day and realized my ignorance.

If you are a christian you will know man was created first and meant to be the head.

If you are an atheist, you should know that both men and women evolved differently with males been associated with dominance and testosterone.

No matter the arguement, men go dey top of the pyramid.

Just accept your femininity, it should be your strength.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2020
tidalstorm:

grin grin grin
madam i used to think like a feminist but we no dey the same.
I sat down one day and realized my ignorance.

If you are a christian you will know man was created first and meant to be the head.

If you are an atheist, you should know that both men and women evolved differently with males been associated with dominance and testosterone.

No matter the arguement, men go dey top of the pyramid.

Just accept your femininity, it should be your strength.

I am a feminist and believe in gender equality.I am not a christian so I do not see a man as the head or one created first I don't believe in that.Also feminism or gender equality does not mean men and women are the same you are just an ignorant person like I stated earlier seek knowledge and stop mixing things up.

There is nothing to accept because nobody is arguing anything.Men are not superior to women neither is gender a pyramid that men are on top of.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by apatheticme(f): 6:54pm On Dec 17, 2020
Ryan03:
It's funny how such topics keep being discussed. If not for stupid pride and crazy mentality, why would anyone want to believe he is better than another person because he was born with a d!ck? Or believe she don't need to work, pushing her needs and whatnot on another person, simply because she was born with a hole?
We better wake up and come to terms with the fact that a much as both genders have their vital roles, financial care and domestic works arent gender based. Both genders have to come together to reproduce and reproduction comes with responsibilities which should be catered for by both parties. This is what both gender needing each other means. Not who to clean house and who to provide money.
Talking about gender based violence, it goes both ways but in truth, it is more on the women because of strength factor, that said, women are not weak, their strength lies elsewhere and a woman who knows how to utilize her strength will never feel weak.
But then, when you are married to a lunatic, better know when to move instead of sitting there crying foul, looking for sympathy. Many of these women endure it because of dependency on their husbands wealth, they have nothing on their own. A woman who decides to depend on her husband finance is nothing but a slave`.

Well said!!!

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Magnoliaa(f): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

You are very correct.I keep hearing men are this that men are egoistical lol some of these men have not met women.Many women have ego/pride but just keep it under wraps because of society and religious beliefs ego is not a gender thing at all.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Jodha(f): 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2020
Benoxvals:

What brand of watch are you selling ?

I sell different brands sir.... please kindly send a message to the WhatsApp number on my signature..
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by NegeduGrace(f): 12:14am On Dec 18, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
just imagine.. That part really got me,, a neighbor of mine threw his wife and children outside just after two days of giving birth to her4th daughter..
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Cromagnon: 1:14am On Dec 18, 2020
joseph1832:
Well it is what it is. She should know in her country Nigeria, a male child stand supreme. It al has to do with our primordial way of doing things.

Many Nigerians still act as if they live in the stone age because they carry the stone age mentality.
stone age lasted a few thousand yrs
Just 50yrs of feminism has almost crashed the world
Go figure
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Derinofzion(f): 2:10am On Dec 18, 2020
kalu61:
The day you these feminist recognize that nature by it wisdom has place man above women and everything has been program by nature to that effect. No amount of civilization will eradicate that until the universe is recreated. Even the almighty bible neglected to census women.

Nations needs men in the millitry
Men will continue to invade and take over territories.
Women and children need men for protection.

Have you asked why the female population is almost double of men?
Have you asked why the male spermatozoa has little competitive swimming disadvantage?

The woman was made for the man

Even females, wife, mothers know the importance of a male child in the society and are co culprit in the so called abortion.

When a wife is yet to get a male child in this part of the world, them go cool like pure water but immediately male child lands, wahala for who marry bad wife grin

Even though you almost balanced your statement but it didn't hide the objective
Continue feeding on the myths that our patriachy fore fathers imposed on us because it favours you,bullying women into your opinion,you couldn't talk against gender-based violence,discrimination against women,rape and the major challenges facing women in this patriachy society but you are quick to bash feminism,claiming you love your mother and your female relatives but you prefer seeing them as slaves to men instead of speaking for them because of your selfish intrest of your folks being worshiped like a god,but unfortunately you came in the wrong century you should have been born in the stone age when men where god,i pray you change your 17th century mentality cos it wont take you anywhere except making you bitter towards the 21st century women by going from one social media to another attacking them cos of what the futures holds for you.

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Midas01: 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2020
Are you fvvking kidding me?
Vyolet:
She is quite right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Demn Hot! Meet Croatia President, Kolinda Grabar-kitarovic / Nigeria Celebrity Couples Storm Future Awards 2014 [photos] / Efe Poses With Ogenyi Onazi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.