Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,652 members, 7,820,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months (958 Views)

The Bread I Bought For 1k And The 400naira 7UP / Fresh Bread, Fresh Start! / Easy Home-made Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months by trippin365blog: 2:13am On Dec 19, 2020
Bread tastes fresh when it comes out from the oven, but after a day or two, it starts to get stale and then mold starts to grow on it. To be honest, we won’t always get freshly baked loaves of bread from the stores. And even though you buy freshly baked loaf, it can only stay for two to three days before molds starts to grow on it.

The idea of going to the store every now and then just to stock up on one or two loaves of bread may be quite discouraging and tiring. And even so, the loaves of bread we buy at the store may not be as fresh as we want it. But we still buy them anyway.

So, here is how you can store your loaf of bread to keep it fresh for a longer time.

Yes, storing bread in the freezer can make the bread stay fresh for up to three months says Laura of MOMables.com . If you put bread in the fridge, the bread will be cold and won’t have that soft and fluffy texture as you bought it initially. However, putting bread in the freezer helps to preserve it for a longer time, keeping it fresh and preventing it from growing molds.

Different Ways You Can Freeze Bread

Freezing bread can be done in different ways. Which ever way you choose, you will get the desired result.

1. Aluminum Foil

First, you make sure the loaf of bread is as fresh as you want it to be. Freezing the bread does not take away the staleness of the bread. If you buy a stale loaf of bread and freeze it, it will still have the staleness for as long as you have it.
Wrap the loaf of bread in a plastic wrap.
Of course, most of the bread we buy from the stores are already wrapped so we don’t need to worry. But just make sure you take out all the air space out and wrap it tightly.
Add a double wrap using an aluminum foil. This will keep the freshness lasting.

2. Kitchen towel

If you are using a kitchen or paper towel, put the paper towel inside the plastic wrap of the bread at both sides. This will absorb the moisture and prevent the bread from becoming soaked and mushy when thawed.

3. Freezer bag

Bread rolls and buns can be placed directly into a freezer bag and sealed tightly.

How can you get the best out of your loaf of bread for a longer time? Here are some tips:

If the bread is unsliced and needs to go into the freezer, you can slice the bread before freezing it. This will make it easier for you to remove only the slices you want to eat rather than thawing the entire loaf.
Separate the slices of bread before storing it in the freezer. This is to ensure that the slices are not sticking together when you want to take out from it.
If you want to thaw your bread, bring it out from the freezer and put it in the fridge the night before. You can also take it from the freezer and straight to the oven or toaster. They will be thawed and toasted at the same time.
If you are having guests over, you can decide to make all the bread and rolls few days or weeks to their arrival and store them in the freezer. You can then bring it out to thaw in the fridge overnight and warm them up when about to eat.
Also, Erin says you can freeze the bread dough and not the finished loaves. That way, you get to eat freshly baked bread anytime you want. And that way, you occupy less space in your freezer.

Note that, while some methods apply for short term - less than three weeks, like single wrapping in the bag it came in from the store or freezer paper, or putting in a freezer bag; double wrapping with aluminum foil can be used for long term - up to six months.

However, when bread stays longer in the freezer, the taste changes over time giving the bread a freezer burn taste. The best advise will be to stock bread in moderate quantity and try to exhaust the bread within three to six months.

https://trippin365blog..com/2020/11/find-out-how-to-keep-freshly-baked.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months by budaatum: 2:22am On Dec 19, 2020
I do this everytime I bake bread as I hardly finish a loaf in two weeks. I laugh though as might many Naija people who finish a whole loaf within a day or two.

budaatum:
List of ingredients for what I'm about to cook.

White flour, golden linseed, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, desiccated coconut, hazelnut shavings, salt, yeast and olive oil.

Will let you know what I cook when I've cooked.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11451668_img202004301838228_jpeg7c48fa9a883aaf194fede40738d431ff
Re: How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months by 1Alex: 4:06am On Dec 19, 2020
One of the commonest commodities one can get is bread.

Why keep it for 6months? I dey craze?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Keep Bread Fresh For Up To Six Months by BoboKush(m): 6:22am On Dec 19, 2020
1Alex:
One of the commonest commodities one can get is bread.

Why keep it for 6months? I dey craze?

Hahhahahahahhaa

(1) (Reply)

Get A Quality Food Flyer For Your Business / Which Eatry Is The Best in Nigeria? / Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.