Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria (64630 Views)

How To Handle Money Transferred To Wrong Account number Case (worth Sharing) / Julius Eze Returns ₦2.5 Million Mistakenly Transferred To His Account / Onyema Denies US Fraud Allegations, Says All Money Transferred Went Through CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by humilitypays(m): 4:31pm On Dec 19, 2020
ODJ124:
Naija matter tire me...

*Sometimes I shake my head just to make sure my brain is still there...Coz anything fit happen for Nigeria* grin grin

Thread seen..
the meme cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by rusher14: 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2020
surrogatesng:

Worldremit no longer pays into account.You will pick up the money at the bank in foreign currency

If the receiver has a domicilary account, he/she can receive funds.

2 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 19, 2020
Dottore:
Trial and error economics

Not at all. They formulate forex policy based on their ability to manipulate the system. This government is round tripping and cashing out big time. They have used the last five years to accumulate huge reserves of dollars and I think they hope to continue until it's time for the next election.
They are hell bent on wrecking the national economy as well as that of those people they don't mind to see starve to death.

5 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Ihatemumu: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2020
FuckThaMod:
So is this good or bad news? embarassed
Both
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Ihatemumu: 4:35pm On Dec 19, 2020
This is both good news and bad.

Good news is dollar scarcity will reduce and add more value to the Naira.

Bad news, With the high level of terrorism especially in the north, this could be a quick way to buy weapons from outside countries without any banking trace, as the dollar will be plenty in the hands of BDC

I don't know whether to celebrate or feel bad, only time will tell, I don't trust this government

10 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Miyachi: 4:37pm On Dec 19, 2020
bigtt76:
Exactly but a bad policy.

1. It's recognizing the black market and legit helping to channel forex there.

2. The black market would get saturated at a point in time because no business man or woman would go there to source forex for business and the black marketers would not sell to the banks at the CBN rate

3. Naira in circulation would be mopped up at a point in time resulting in the dollarization of the economy (no one would want tk be paid in naira)

4. At the end of the day, beneficiaries would have no option but to exchange with the banks or hoard in their domiciliary accounts.

I beg to differ with your points.

Remitting in Naira was causing undue strain on the local currency.

BDCs are known to create artificial scarcity of the dollar. When you have too much Naira chasing the Dollar it is bound to become expensive, but when you open the gates and led the dollars flood in it creates a more free forex market. There's a possibility of closing the gap in the different exchange windows (CBN and black market), all things being equal. I think that was the intention.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by madridguy(m): 4:40pm On Dec 19, 2020
Trading with them at your own risk. Nairaland can advertise for anyone.

Frustrated007:
guys please is ngcard a scam site? I saw their advert on nairaland.
Has anyone here traded with them ?

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by lastempero: 4:40pm On Dec 19, 2020
bigtt76:

2. The black market would get saturated at a point in time because no business man or woman would go there to source forex for business and the black marketers would not sell to the banks at the CBN rate

3. Naira in circulation would be mopped up at a point in time resulting in the dollarization of the economy (no one would want tk be paid in naira)

4. At the end of the day, beneficiaries would have no option but to exchange with the banks or hoard in their domiciliary accounts.

As it stands cbn can't do otherwise, they are crippled. This is their only escape route.

2 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Frustrated007: 4:40pm On Dec 19, 2020
thanks bro..the site looks suspicious even grin
Readers beware!
madridguy:
Trading with them at your own risk. Nairaland can advertise for anyone.

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Akainzo(m): 4:41pm On Dec 19, 2020
bigtt76:

Except that persons receiving USD would also need to buy things, pay for stuff and generally continue living which is what majority of diaspora remittances are for.

So when the son sends money to the Mum, the Mum cannot afford to keep it under the bed or in a dom accounts as she has to live, buy food, pay rent, transport and pay for medicals. At that point, there would also be more USD looking for avenues to be changed to Naira.

Hopefully, that will drive the exchange rate down. Do not also forget that at this yuletide period, as more diasporas come home, they'd also need to change the USD to Naira to pay for hotels. And if hotels will have lower rates than BDC/Black Market too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 4:41pm On Dec 19, 2020
Sure let's hear your views

Miyachi:

I beg to differ with you points.
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Academicwizman(m): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2020
I am not an economist but I feel that Naira will become valueless in the nearest future and unemployment will become worse.

It appears that the government, through this policy has abandoned the hard work of proping up the economy through increased productivity but banking on foreign remittances to help the economy.

Dollarisation of the economy will be the order of the day. One would expect that the naira should become more valuable since there will be more dollars in the economy but preference to hold dollar over the naira and even trade with it internally will drive the naira value down unless the FG ban dollar as medium of exchange internally.

The cost of goods will skyrocket in naira value with devalued naira.

The inducement for foreign remittances will be lost and sending money home may become less attractive.

8 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by joshmee4real(m): 4:43pm On Dec 19, 2020
Just yesterday, someone transferred some Amou nt to my account, after receiving the alert, I then got a msg from my bank that the sum exceeded CBN limit for bla bla bla. Now the money transferred to me is not captured on my balance, but its captured on my ledger balance ( so said the bank). Pls does anyone have an idea what's wrong?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by onatisi(m): 4:45pm On Dec 19, 2020
exactly , they are now trying to push the responsibility of fx on the banks , where will then banks get dollars to be paying everyone if cbn doesnt sell enough to them ?
next year will be really tough for Nigerians living inside Nigeria .

lastempero:

As it stands cbn can't do otherwise, they are crippled. This is their only escape route.
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by rusher14: 4:45pm On Dec 19, 2020
Atlas9:

Not at all. They formulate forex policy based on their ability to manipulate the system. This government is round tripping and cashing out big time. They have used the last five years to accumulate huge reserves of dollars and I think they hope to continue until it's time for the next election.
They are hell bent on wrecking the national economy as well as that of those people they don't mind to see starve to death.

How does round tripping pay when everyone can push dollars into the economy, receiving exactly how much they were sent?
How does round tripping work when the economy becomes saturated with forex?
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Stevedegreat(m): 4:46pm On Dec 19, 2020
They CBN have ulterior motives afterwards to say non availability of dollars to pay the receiver prompt Nigeria's failure. This tactic is what Nigeria's economists believe as one of the ways that can help recover from recession
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Katlyst(m): 4:47pm On Dec 19, 2020
YoungB1a:
Pls did this affect PayPal because I'm finding it difficult to cashout cc Katlyst

Sorry, I don't know about PayPal.
I guess PayPal doesn't operate in most African countries.
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by ifymadu: 4:48pm On Dec 19, 2020
I still did a transfer through BossMoney a few days ago and naira equivalent was paid directly into the recipient's account
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by kowalsky: 4:48pm On Dec 19, 2020
bigtt76:

Not exactly.

There was an earlier memo sent to banks that outlined ways in which dollar inflows can be spent (utilized) by account holders.

The summary is that inflows from offshore accounts should not be withdrawn, rather, be sold to banks at inter bank rates. Account holders can use their monies to fund international payments and the likes.

Inflows via local deposits (over the counter dollar deposits) even have more limitations. They will be limited as to how they can spend such monies on international payments.

The overarching resolve is that CBN wants even tighter control on the available FX in the market. When dollar inflows are sent to Nigerian accounts via services like worldRemit, Western Union etc. The conversion to naira is handled by third parties not directly affiliated with the CBN. TransferWise used a company called DusuPay the few times I've used them.

This new directive means that instead of remitting naira to banks. These third parties remit USD providing much more USD in circulation to the banks and in extension the CBN.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Katlyst(m): 4:49pm On Dec 19, 2020
Katlyst:

Worldremit has complied but azimo is stubborn.
A friend tried the online payment to domiciliary account and it worked.
The cash pickup is enabled too.
Only few banks are in operation (gtb, access, zenith, uba etc)

Bank deposit
Fidelity
GTB
Access
First bank

Cash pickup
Access
Fidelity
First bank
Polaris
Zenith

2 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Bishop(m): 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2020
bigtt76:
Toh what can one do again cheesy

You are the one causing the confusion. wheno you are bigtt in front and big Dada at the back. �����

Anyways, I think it's the CBN governor that's totally confused when they started the crazy policy without the end in mind.
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by AFONJACOW(m): 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2020
I went to the bank the other day to ask for Taiwanese dollar rate direct to Nigeria account, they told me sorry sir that service has been suspended for a while now till further notice that Nigeria currency is not stable... Which means it goes up up and up... Shame to Buhari , anyway I prefer black market direct to my account because the money is times two what Western will give me , Western send direct to acc106 while black market sent 135 to 1 Naira.... Thunder fire who no say abroad no good

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by lastempero: 4:53pm On Dec 19, 2020
onatisi:
exactly , they are now trying to push the responsibility of fx on the banks , where will then banks get dollars to be paying everyone if cbn doesnt sell enough to them ?
next year will be really tough for Nigerians living inside Nigeria .

I swear!!! They could have done this before now.

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by onatisi(m): 4:53pm On Dec 19, 2020
the brief respite Nigerians are enjoying now with the rate of exchange wont last , cbn timed their intervention towards December which usually attracts low fx rates because of those coming back home for celebrations , once the festive season is over and ppl start going back to their bases , then the rate will start going up again , by then i don't think it will stop or pause at 500 to a dollar
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by 6digitscomrade: 4:53pm On Dec 19, 2020
Awesomeking:
i came across this online, can anyone give more insight on this please.

"Following a directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria, as of 8 December, 2020, money transfers to Nigeria will only be paid out in USD. While you can continue to send for a cash pickup, bank account and mobile wallet services are temporarily suspended."
yes very true only in usd u can receive and guess what the banks will never have little denominations so if u don’t av a dom account to pay in their so called pieces u are doomed!
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Decryptor(m): 4:54pm On Dec 19, 2020
That's for people who gives attention to useless CBN!

Bitcoins are way to go!

3 Likes

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Uniquisite: 4:54pm On Dec 19, 2020
THE BIG QUESTION IS HOW DO REGULAR BANK ACCOUNT USER GET PAID?

CAN USD BE SENT TO A NORMAL BANK ACCOUNT IN NIGERIA?

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2020
I agree with your points absolutely, it would help drive down the exchange rates but it's also dependent on the equilibrium between the foreign reserve and the in flows.

Mind you, the IMTOs are not flying in the forex to be disbursed (it would increase the wait time if the banks have to defend on this) so what they do is get from CBN and fulfill the demands locally at a cost to CBN.

I still don't see the need paying out the dollars locally or even allocating to the BDCs. I don't know of any country that does this though undecided

Rather what the CBN would've done if they wish to allow dollar cash outs, mandate that the cash outs is done through the BDCs (they are the regulated black marketers of our time) who will in turn, either return it back to their bank accounts or sell to businesses.

The money changer out there won't resell at a loss, so where's the gain?

Akainzo:

Except that persons receiving USD would also need to buy things, pay for stuff and generally continue living which is what majority of diaspora remittances are for.

So when the son sends money to the Mum, the Mum cannot afford to keep it under the bed or in a dom accounts as she has to live, buy food, pay rent, transport and pay for medicals. At that point, there would also be more USD looking for avenues to be changed to Naira.

Hopefully, that will drive the exchange rate down. Do not also forget that at this yuletide period, as more diasporas come home, they'd also need to change the USD to Naira to pay for hotels. And if hotels will have lower rates than BDC/Black Market too.
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Okuda(m): 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2020
Atk1nson:

I think its a good step at bridging dollar scarcity, people can get black market returns on dollars sent, encouraging repatriation.

its bullshit. is dollar the only foreign currency being sent to Nigeria? what happens to swiss francs, japanese yen and chinese yuan? in what currency would it be paid in.

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 4:56pm On Dec 19, 2020
You need to open a domiciliary account in the currencies you want to receive?

Uniquisite:
THE BIG QUESTION IS HOW DO REGULAR BANK ACCOUNT USER GET PAID?

CAN USD BE SENT TO A NORMAL BANK ACCOUNT IN NIGERIA?
Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 19, 2020
If you're broke and waste your money, no amount of economic policy without actions will save you. grin

Either you find a better job, add side hustles, after which you must invest your earnings to grow.

Devaluation, revaluation, cajoling diasporas for funds grin, free markets cheesy, infact nothing will work except for true diversification, investments and cutting wastage.

Zimbabwe loading..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria by Olatlaccon(m): 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2020
ImmaculateJOE:
Wahala for us wey never receive money from abload..

The thing wey those commenters dey yern up there dey do me like magic..
don't worry.....u are not alone

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Access Bank Acquires Diamond Bank / Soko Loan Has Finally Defamed Me (pictures) / Nigeria Customs And Dhl Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.