Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,546 members, 7,812,721 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? (3556 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? / Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed? / Is Java Programming Harder Than Microsoft.net Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2007
Please i need advice and info about java, because am about to learn it.

Can it be used to develop applications like anti virus, games like Fifa?

Please I don't want to make the wrong choice.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 10:26pm On Jun 30, 2007
Why do you want to create an anti-virus program. How will you sell it when there are so many free ones?

Why do you want to create a game like FIFA. Do you know that game programmers abroad are poorly paid and overworked compared to average programmers. Do you realise that Nigerians never buy games?

Java can be used to write games and anti-virus programs, but most commercial programs are written in C++.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Ikomi(m): 1:02am On Jul 01, 2007
Seun:

Why do you want to create an anti-virus program. How will you sell it when there are so many free ones?

Why do you want to create a game like FIFA. Do you know that game programmers abroad are poorly paid and overworked compared to average programmers. Do you realise that Nigerians never buy games?

Java can be used to write games and anti-virus programs, but most commercial programs are written in C++.

I don't think u have your facts right there man. Every programmer is paid based on the success of his product.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 10:46am On Jul 01, 2007
Thank you guys for your comments.i would like to know what kind of software can be bought in Nigeria and which is best between java, .Net and c++.How can i make money from software development.What kind of application java can develope.Pls respond!
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Ikomi(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2007
worldbest:

Thank you guys for your comments.i would like to know what kind of software can be bought in Nigeria and which is best between java, .Net and c++.How can i make money from software development.What kind of application java can develope.Please respond!

.Net has a common language runtime, which means if u write in C++, Visual basic.Net or Javascript, it can equally compile ur code all the same, that is one its powers and u can write web enabled applications as well as stand alone applications.

Talking of how to make money u need to think of something no one has thought of that is very useful, or wat someone has thought of that has not being implemented and very useful, either way u need taking ur thinkiing to the extreme,
I mean think a bit crazy wink. Then and only then u'd start thinking like a good programmer.

lol.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by yaro248(m): 3:41pm On Jul 01, 2007
@WorldBest: as regards to softwares that can sell in Nija, U have to think of Database applications--meaning software like Accounting software, school or any record management software.

You can select any language u think you'll find friendly. Enjoy!! wink
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 3:58pm On Jul 01, 2007
@ikomi and yaro248,thanks for your answers.If i want to develope an online cinema,what softwares,language would be required to develop an application like youtube,windows media player so dat i can upload videos.Can these be done with java?Can it be done with macromedia dreamweaver?Is ms access useful in database development?Pls i need your useful response
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Cactus(m): 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2007
it is advisable to get reading materials on pc programming before you start asking your questions.

Is your motive purely revenue? or to solve a problem?
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 8:48pm On Jul 01, 2007
Hardly do you have to learn a programming language to solve a problem. Just download AVG Antivirus if your goal is to solve a virus infestation problem, spybot for spyware, etc. For good games, just get some money. wink
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Dynast(m): 11:21am On Jul 02, 2007
If ur intention is 2 make money and not 4 the passion of it then it means that u are running very well but outside the track
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 11:47am On Jul 03, 2007
Thanks for your comments.Is it ok to g for c++ rather than java since most commercial software are programmed with it?
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by danex(m): 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2007
man just get on with Java. i assure u its well worth the time compared with investing that time in C++. i spent 2 yrs coding with C/C++ before learning Java and i wish i had invested that time in java. right now i'm well on the way with java building robust enterprise level applications. i assure u, u'll not regret this

cheers

dannie (SCJP1.4)
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Bossman(m): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2007
you will be well served doing some serious readin on the web. Only then will you know what suits you best. As already mentioned, do not go into software development solely for the purpose of making money. Most people that go that route tend to fail.

worldbest:

Thanks for your comments.Is it ok to g for c++ rather than java since most commercial software are programmed with it?
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by TerraCotta(m): 6:20pm On Jul 03, 2007
This might be helpful--http://www.dmh2000.com/cjpr/
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 12:07pm On Jul 04, 2007
Thanks nairalanders for your support.But c++ didnt look real hard.What is the meaning of "endl" in c++.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by kaydkay(m): 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2007
Danex, I would like to know how and where you learnt your java programming because rite now am into PHP, Oracle and MySQL but i would really like to know Java. tanks

get back to me kolaomonaye@yahoo.com
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 11:11pm On Jul 04, 2007
I have registed for java tutorials at HiiT in IKEJA.I learnt a little on c++ on net,it dint look too hard though.Anyone with comment on HiiT?How can a 3d game engine be created and for how long?What is visual java,basic,c++?
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 11:13pm On Jul 04, 2007
I have registed for java tutorials at HiiT in IKEJA.I learnt a little on c++ on net,it dint look too hard though.Anyone with comment on HiiT?How can a 3d game engine be created and for how long?What is visual java,basic,c++?
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 8:36am On Jul 11, 2007
PHP & MySQL is a great combination for intranet and web programming. Don't despise that fantastic duo!
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by geebengs(m): 8:59pm On Jul 12, 2007
How can a 3d game engine be created and for how long?What is visual java,basic,c++?
worldbest if u are talking about 3d game engine then go in the way of c++. Heavy games, especially 3D games are more conveniently coded with c++. There are enough free ebooks on 3d game engines on the internet, of course in c++. Good luck.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2007
@geebengs.Thank you very much for your contribution.You have finally given me d courage 2 dump java for c++.I hav been tinkin bout it but i hav made up my mind.Wat u said is absolutely correct.Now i need links 2 get the free ebook.Tanks again
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2007
Do you realize that there are many free game engines on the web that are better than yours will ever be?
The problem is not your choice of programming language, but your choice of problem to tackle. It's a big mistake.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2007
Yes i know dat there are enof game engine on d web but not 100% free.But wat is the big mistake.I main want 2 do games but most engine support mainly c++.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 10:12pm On Jul 15, 2007
There are many Java game engines out there; both free and non-free. Game engines are a commodity these days; even MS Windows comes with a free copy of DirectX which is almost a game engine. Content is king in games these days. It's not about the quality of your game engine, but the quality of your game concept & content.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by davidt(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2007
You sure seem to be very interested in creating games. I can see you have decided to dump Java for C++. I want to tell you that the learning curve for C++ is terribly steep. At the beginning, any programming language would not look difficult but considering the fact you are going into game programming, you are sure to face a lot of challenges when it comes to C++. I adhere to the opinion that going into programming for the revenue is not a nice start. Programming should be ventured into with a passion for the actual act and not just revenue.

Furthermore, every programming language has its different areas of strengths and weaknesses. Sure C++ is good for game programming, but soon you would find that game programming won't be the only thing you would be doing even if that is your main interest.

This is not to confuse you since you have made a choice, but I think you would be better of with Java.

Game programming entails different things. The game engine may be written in one language and other aspects in a different language. Game programming also requires writing scripts and in this case, scripting languages such as Python (I am a great Python fan myself), Ruby, etc. win the day.

I think you should learn Java first and then you could go further into C++. Generally, for a first time programmer, I would recommend Python. After learning that, then you can foray into other languages.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by BlkRaven(f): 7:57pm On Jul 21, 2007
davidt
Well said!! It's best to go into programming for the love of it and not just because you see it as a source of income.

worldbest
Learning C/C++ requires time, practice and dedication and it's not easy. I wish I had learned Java instead.

Microsoft Access is easy to learn and good for small databases. The only downer is that recent versions are very unstable when running really complex code. I'm a proponent of open source software so I'm looking to move away from Access to Php/MySQL grin

IMO, you are better off doing a bit of research into different programming languages before deciding on a language or languages that would meet your needs. We all have different opinions on different languages and this will leave you very confused.

Good luck.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 12:41am On Jul 22, 2007
It's best to go into programming for the love of it
There's nothing wrong with going into programming for money. Just make sure you choose your niche well.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by worldbest(m): 4:42pm On Jul 22, 2007
Thanks you so much guys for your contribution.You guys are right bout all u hav said.I now knw wat language 2 choice.1ce again thank you.I now knw i can count on nairaland for advice.
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Ghenghis(m): 2:35pm On Aug 01, 2007
java is a more viable option now ,
You can also try C#

And yes you can write games (desktop , phones and pdas) in both languages.

I've seen the game Quake 3 recompiled in .NET ! and it ran beautifully.

C++ is a nice language, but for u - the un-decided

Java,C#(VB.NET embarassed),python,PHP are good options

You would also make money, not from learning them grin but from securing a nice job when you're reasonably competent with any one of them

(SCJP 1.5, SCJD)
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Ghenghis(m): 9:20am On Aug 06, 2007
@prodgalson

Note: I'm not pro MS but

It proves you can program anything with .NET (almost).
Know one does direct X better than M.S oses
the way trends are going, all apps would run in one managed environment or the other ,eventually ,
You should see java's 2D,3D support. Graphics acceleration support is now java ,imagine !

But Yes sh|ts and giggles it is ,but its possible , . cheesy
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by bugzee: 11:47am On Aug 07, 2007
Well i think you can go into programming or software development for any reason you like, be it passion, money or just sheer custiousity as long as whatever your motivation is is able to push you through the long nights of debugging sessions and typing routines. you just need motivation and be able to reason logically.

Java is a great platform and so is Microsoft.NET i would recommend any of this two for any beginer who wants to delve into the exciting world of software development, remeber im using the word platform here, not language; from a language point of view all OOP languages are the same and solve the same problems in similar ways be it VB.NET, Java or C#, Ruby, Python or Haskel, yes they may be group into strongly typed, dynamic,functional and all that software dev jargon but an Object is an Object is an Object, every where.

when you pick a platform like Java and work with it extensively for like 2 years, you have the opportunity to use it as a tool to solve a myriad of problems ranging from the simplistic enterprise read write to database, to seeming high level natural language processing and expert systems, from console based hello world applications to robotics, viz Java can solve all your problems, so can .NET, but once you have mastered any of these frameworks, it would be easy for you to compare with others and know where their strenghts and weaknesses lie, then you would be able to pick the right tool for the right job, and learning any new programming language would be a breeze esp if they are OOP based, e.g if you have worked with Java or C# extensively, you should not spend more than 6 hours learning Ruby, PHP or Python or even C++ (The OOP Part of it).

So bottom line is this, one programming language is not entirely better than the other, you can pick and paltform and master it. from there you can make the best decsions as to the right tool for the job
Re: Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? by Seun(m): 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2007
If you're considering Java, you might as well use C#.NET. It's better designed and supports Windows well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Collections Of Python Projects / My Purple Website / Chattabox - A Bluetooth Chat Application - Your Reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.