Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,365 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Pills & Chills: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pills & Chills: A Short Story (1418 Views)

Chills: Collection Of Short Creepy Stories That Would Keep You Up At Night / Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pills & Chills: A Short Story by SokoDobo: 9:59am On Dec 21, 2020
Drug abuse is trending. The effects are neglected and the number of users multiplies constantly. It’s like a purge where a giant beast swallows people of all ages, sexes and races. The temporary joy or enjoyment derived from use of drugs leave permanent marks on lives.

When Ahmad feels he found love early, and hopes to come back from Harvard to get married, they meet challenges that threaten the future.

Sinking into the pool of the underworld, he tries to resurface and mend his life and straighten his future. How would he do that when a powerful hand pulls him back?

He is not deterred; he had to fight the beast.

Copyright 2020.

All rights reserved.

1 Like

Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by SokoDobo: 10:42am On Dec 21, 2020
Chapter One

Hello Ahmad, congratulations! Your application for Uplift Scholarship Program has been approved and you are among the successful candidates. For further inquiries and documentation, visit our office at the above named address on or before 7th of March, 2018

Ahmad read the text message for the third time to assure himself that it was not a dream. He looked round his room, got on his feet and touched his cheek.
It was for real! He was going to Harvard to study Medicine.

“Damn!” He shouted . “Mom! Mom!” He ran out of his room and almost bumped into Zarah, his elder sister.
“What is wrong with you?”
“Harvard! I made it.” He said excitedly.
“The scholarship?”
“Look! Read this damn thing.”
She read the text message.
“Damn!” He said again.
“Alhamdulillah (Praise be to God)!”
“Damn it sis!”
She pouted.
“You should thank God instead of saying damn!”

He was too hyper to hear her,
He ran upstairs towards his mother’s room. Hajiya Humaira came out of her room and saw him running towards her room.

“What is wrong? I heard you shouting.” She said with fear expressed on her face.
“Mom I made it into Harvard. I just got a text.”
“I hope it’s not a fraud.”
“No mom. I am to visit their office in person. It is real.”
“Alhamdulillah (Praise be to God).” She exclaimed and hugged him. “When are you asked to go?”
“On or before 7th of this month. The deadline is three days from now so I am going today. It is just 11:00 AM.”

She read the text. This was real, she decided. She felt tears in her eyes. Her prayers have been accepted. This was her dream for her son. Her only son and this was happening after all the travails they had gone through.
She lost her husband five years ago and life took a turn. Her late husband, Alhaji Saminu Daura was a successful business man who had lots of houses, cars and shops. He was one of the biggest importers of fabrics with branches in Kano, Zamfara and Abuja.
Zarah, her eldest daughter was just eighteen years of age then and just got into Ahmadu Bello University. Ahmad was fifteen years old, Farida was only ten so she had to handle the business. Inexperience and naivety made the business crash. Some of the staff ran sway with goods and when Dauda advised her to import goods through a cheaper means, he did not tell her that it was smuggling and Custom officers seized the goods. That was when their financial travails began. She had to sell some properties so she could get back her goods but she realized that she was just being swindled.
Now they lived on the rent they collect from the two houses left and the little money she made from the Bongrich products she sold.
Ahmad had gained admission into Kaduna Polytechnic where he obtained a diploma in Computer Science. He always wanted to go to Harvard but she could not afford it so when a foundation called Uplift Scholarship Foundation made advertisement, he applied and now, he just got the good news of acceptance.

“Then go and get ready. I am coming with you.” She said, “Let me get dressed.”
“Okay mom.”

He ran to his room, had a quick bath and got dressed. He stood before the mirror and combed his hair. He was tall, light in complexion with dark curly hair, protuberant eyes under thick eyebrows, long slim nose, low moustache and a swaggering goatee.
His phone chimed. He picked it and smiled.

“My love” He said while he went out of the room.

From the other end, a girl said, “Sweetheart, what have you been up to? I did not see you online.”

“I am sorry; I slept off and woke up to find a message that sweetened my heart.”
“Hmm...do you want to share?”
“Sure, there is this girl I have been trying to win her love for years, before we met and she just capitulated today..’

She giggled.

“Ahmad, you know I hate such jokes. I am too prim and jealous for such jokes.”
“I am sorry, my love. Okay, it’s a message from Uplift. I am going to Harvard.”
“Oh my God! Praise be to Allah...Oh my God! I am so happy for us.”
“Thank you my darling, everything about you is appealing, your pure heart and undying love are revealing. I will be away from you and the heart is unwilling, because a second without you is appalling. Leaving is imperative because of schooling, and the heart is wrestling but trust your swashbuckler, my heart and soul will be so close to you like a jugular vein, and forever in my heart you reign, and our love shower like rain, void of pain, pure with no stain and we roll in this long love train.”
“Awwnn…you never seize to amaze me with your words that are so sweet, which I will tweet and your love is sweet. I will surely miss you but thank God for video call, and your memory is install, my tall, my all; the one whom has my provisions like a mall.”
“You just know the right things to say that send me into honeyland. Meanwhile, this calls for celebration. We are going to their office right now and when we come back and drop mom at home, I will be driving straight to your house.”
“I will be expecting you…”
“Ahmad what are you doing in your room?” Hajiya Humaira said from the living-room.
“I am dressing up, mom.” He lied and the girl chuckled.
“Salma, I have to go.’
“I heard that and you are a big liar.’

He giggled.

“Take care of yourself for me, darling. I love you.”
“Sure I will and do the same for me. I love you too.”

Ahmad ended the call and moved out of the room with alacrity. Hajiya Humaira was already dressed and waiting.

“Where is the car key?” She asked.
“I have it here, mom.”
Zarah came out of the kitchen. She and Ahmad looked so much alike but he was taller and chubbier.
“I wish I can come with you.” Zarah said.
“No menhh, ya don’t have to bother sis. I wanna see ya do your thing at home..”

Zarah laughed.

'‘Shut up with your fake accent. You have not even gotten a visa but you are forming American accent.”
“The next will be denying tuwo and masa.” Hajiya Haumaira said.
“I can deny tuwo but not masa.” Ahmad said.
“Assalamu alaikum (Peace be unto you).” The gatekeeper saluted.
"Wa alaikumus-salam (peace be unto you too). Hudu, come inside.” Hajiya Humaira said.
“There are some men here to see Ahmad.” He said.
“Men? Where are they from?” Hajiya Humaira asked.
“I don’t know. I have never seen them.”
“Are you expecting anyone?” She asked Ahmad.
“No. Maybe they are my friends.” Ahmad said.
“I want to see who they are.” Hajiya Humaira said. “I hope you did not allow them inside.” She asked Hudu.
“They insisted. They are outside here.’
“What do you mean by they insisted? You let them into the gate..” but she swallowed the rest of her words as she saw three men walk into the living-room without permission.

The leader of the men was dressed in black suit. His head was completely shaven and his eyes were hidden behind sunshades. He wore a bushy moustache, with dark thick lips and aggressive square jaw.
The other two men wore plain shirts and trousers.

“I am Inspector Adam Afam from the CID.” He showed an ID card. “I am here to invite Ahmad to our head quarters for his connection with a theft of two million naira and the kidnap of a girl.”

“What! There must be a mistake.” Hajiya Humaira said.
“He knows what I am talking about.” Adam Said. “ Take him away.”

Zarah broke into tears.
Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by Madiba147(m): 1:17pm On Dec 21, 2020
Baba himself...I jus no fit wait...oluwa got ur back bro
Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by SokoDobo: 12:59am On Dec 24, 2020
Madiba147:
Baba himself...I jus no fit wait...oluwa got ur back bro
Thank you sir

1 Like

Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by skubido(m): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2020
Following

Welcome OP
Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by thatsleepboy1: 11:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Let me mark my register here
Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by Sunshyne36(f): 7:31pm On Mar 28, 2021
Bello Ibrahim Ahmad!! So you have come out of hiding after absconding with my money in 2018. Someone tries to help you and you ran away with their money, is that how you pay them back?? Thief!! I am still waiting for you to return my money and I will continue to pursue you, no matter how much your people beg.

The chicken BBQ business didn’t work out.
The Afrisurvey business didn’t work out.
Now you’re into writing stories?

1 Like

Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by Jashub: 10:19am On Mar 29, 2021
I love your style of writing. Would you be willing to mentor me?
Re: Pills & Chills: A Short Story by Tonyspecial(m): 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2021
Sunshyne36:
Bello Ibrahim Ahmad!! So you have come out of hiding after absconding with my money in 2018. Someone tries to help you and you ran away with their money, is that how you pay them back?? Thief!! I am still waiting for you to return my money and I will continue to pursue you, no matter how much your people beg.

The chicken BBQ business didn’t work out.
The Afrisurvey business didn’t work out.
Now you’re into writing stories?
So na him make the nigga never update us since

(1) (Reply)

High-quality Content Writers Needed ASAP / Nigeria At 51: The Way Forward / ABOUT THE SOCIETY OF YOUNG NIGERIAN WRITERS (SYNW)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.