Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,930 members, 7,835,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

My Thoughts On Buhari And The Forthcoming Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On Buhari And The Forthcoming Elections (602 Views)

This Is My Prediction On The Forthcoming General Election / Will You Vote For Jonathan In The Forthcoming Election? / Will You Vote For BUHARI In The Forthcoming Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On Buhari And The Forthcoming Elections by scorpion1: 2:11pm On Mar 27, 2011
Hello All,

I have tried in my own way to study the Nigerian polity in recent times, while i nurse my fears about the contestants and the forthcoming elections. I have looked at all the gladiators and i think the finality of it would rest on the tables of either GEJ or Buhari.

WHO DOES NIGERIA NEED AT THIS TIME?
In my opinion, Nigerians are not asking for too much; Nigerians are asking for basic things of life we were taught in social studies; Food, Clothing and Shelter. Little wonder our brilliant lads have jetted out of this country to get these basic necessities of life. From my experience and visit to one or two countries, i did not see anywhere that money was being distributed on their streets, all they have are basic necessities and ease of life and these are basis of the attraction to these countries. Government deliberately and desperately make life easy for its citizenry, cos their popularity depends solely on it.

So the question now is that does it seem in our eyes the GEJ will take us to having these basic things i talked about? My answer is simply a very capital NO. I cant see the signs in the last 9 months. To decipher a serious leader, requires more than just mere luck, competence, will, discipline, actions etc are the things that count. Please does GEJ need another 4 years to show us the drift and focus of his government, so when will he eventually implement the focus of his government, if there is any at all?

In my opinion, i think Nigeria at this stage doesnt deserve a pure civilian yet, from what i see, the greatest undoing of GEJ are from existing past Khaki men, who he doesnt have the liver to say no to; OBJ, IBB, David Mark, Abdulsalam etc. These are the men that hold sway in this country as we speak now. When will he ever gointo be able to say no to these people? So, we still need someone that can stand and not be shaken, someone who cannot be controlled by a so called God father, someone that also has knowledge of internal security and military intelligence.

I hated Buhari at a time, especially when he wanted Nigeria to plounge into Sharia, forgeting that Nigeria is multi-cultural and religious. Up until now, i have still seen a lot of Nigerians holding this against him, but can we call a spade a spade for God's sake, this man has repented? I also think its only indiscipline people that are afraid of Buhari. If any of us is sinless, lets cast the first stone.

I think its time we look at the future of this country and decide now, four years added to our age, would there be hope for a better future for us? I think its possible with Buhari, at least one thing i am sure of is that even if Buhari refuses to build one single road, of course i know he would have a lot of technocrats to work with, it would be certain that the story of people looting our treasury would sieze to appear on the front pages of our newspapers. That would be my greatest joy. An unborn Nigerian shouldnt be poor, talk less of a living Nigerian.

Let me rest my case here, my thoughts are many but please can someone allay my fears please.
Re: My Thoughts On Buhari And The Forthcoming Elections by efisher(m): 2:47pm On Mar 27, 2011
scorpion1:

-- at least one thing i am sure of is that even if Buhari refuses to build one single road, of course i know he would have a lot of technocrats to work with, it would be certain that the story of people looting our treasury would sieze to appear on the front pages of our newspapers. That would be my greatest joy. An unborn Nigerian shouldnt be poor, talk less of a living Nigerian.

The part in bold font here is what Nigerian intellectuals have tried to look at very closely.
Buhari was a disciplinarian. Everybody agrees! But the argument is that this is democracy. Does he have the methods needed in today's political scenario to fight corruption effectively. Do we think "whip-lashing" will stop the militants in Niger Delta from stealing crude? Will IBB suddenly become a saint? Or will new ways of doing crime simply crop up. Are we going to have four years of long drawn court cases and political score-settling? Will students stop cheating in exams or will they find innovative ways to perform exam malpractice? How will he handle the senate, the house of assembly, the governors, etc. How will we measure his success in fighting corruption? Does he still have the strength and tact as he had 25 years ago? Can he "play ball" with those boxers in the house of assembly? Will he support the "wasteful" amnesty program? How will he deal with those fomenting trouble in Jos? CAN HE HANDLE ALL THESE PRESSURES PUT TOGETHER? Has he given us a plan for all these?

How about the part we can see? How about the stable electric power and good education Nigerians are asking for. He has told us already that he will concentrate on probes before making further investments! What is the repercussion of that? More poverty, illiteracy, unemployment and what will be the result of that. FRUSTRATION! When you have frustration what do we think will be the result? Civil unrest, strikes, etc. Will he listen to protesters calling for increased minimum wage? Or will he brand them as lazy? What will happen to all the projects being set up by the current government? Can he manage them? If ACN takes over from PDP I am guaranteed that they can build on and consolidate the little gains of the PDP government. But can same be said about CPC?

My points here are based on an analysis of what I have discovered about his last administration. Read for yourself here on BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6192919.stm

Think about what Nigeria might be 2 years into a BB regime after emotions have worn out. Do we think Nigerians will be satisfied with his standards in corruption? Will he be seen as partial in his dealings? I will end with this statement which I think best describes my perception of Buhari:

AS MARADONA IS TO TODAY’S FOOTBALL, SO BUHARI IS TO TODAY’S NIGERIA.

(1) (Reply)

Do Igbos/niger Deltans Support Buhari? / Fashola Again! / Witches Deploy 500 Members To Abuja For Jonathan’s Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.