Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,382 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 (26300 Views)

Indian COVID-19 Strain Surfaces In Nigeria, Diseases Centre Alerts NCDC / 288 New COVID-19 Cases, 355 Discharged And 8 Deaths On August 3 - (1601 Tested) / First New HIV Strain In 19 Years Identified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 10:37am On Dec 22, 2020
passion007:

Please always state this is a conjecture, at best.

UK and European health authorities have stated there is no evidence the new strain causes a more severe disease, neither is there evidence that the available vaccine will be ineffective against this new strain.

Science is about evidence, not guesswork.
Exactly, the only prob is the rate of transmission which is about 70% faster than the previous strain.
More so, the vaccine available can be tweaked to suit the new strain.
The real cause for alarm is the rate of transmission

1 Like

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by venmotors(m): 10:39am On Dec 22, 2020
optimusprime2:
Why did they not sound the alarm 3 months ago?
Or they just trying to sound relevant?
They did the news made front page here on nairaland
But we believe covid-19 is a scam in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by venmotors(m): 10:39am On Dec 22, 2020
optimusprime2:
Why did they not sound the alarm 3 months ago?
Or they just trying to sound relevant?
They did the news made front page here on nairaland
But we all believe covid-19 is a scam in Nigeria
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by venmotors(m): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2020
Phlegman:
I think it was reported when the new strain was discovered
The Nigeria in all of us did not listen or take it seriius
Exactly I remembered reading the news
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by codemaniacs: 10:43am On Dec 22, 2020
zz
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 10:45am On Dec 22, 2020
brainhgeek:
That lab is the most equipped molecular biology lab in Africa. They tested and and revealed the status of Patrick Sawyer. Even the USA embassy prefer the result from the lab than from Washington DC because it is both reliable and fast.
Mane are asking why they didn't speak up since. If they didn't speak up earlier, it is because they do not want to create panic as they are not the legal authority to broadcast that without the knowledge of NCDC. They probably raised the alarm to the government. However, what would happen if they create a panic? Would that have stopped the spread or would that have created a vaccine?

Are you minding those saying trash about the lab and the prof...

One dunce even called him foolish.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 10:48am On Dec 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

"He who pays the piper calls the tune".

His allegiance is not to Nigeria anymore so his free to release any statement that can ruin Nigeria.
Bro, don't just sit behind your 6' screen and slander people who have worked tirelessly in their fields.
Do you know this man at all.

Do you know about the lab,
About the research going on there??

1 Like

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Jaqenhghar: 10:50am On Dec 22, 2020
Angelfrost:

A very blatant, stupid, and unnecessary lie!!!...
I keep saying it.This COVID is the new black gold. They will use it to enrich themselves
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by codemaniacs: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2020
zz
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by kokorunna(m): 11:05am On Dec 22, 2020
Why do the Nigerian Government like to fool people, a country with a population of over 170 million telling us on a daily basis that only less that 10 people died of convid19 on a daily basis. The whole health system is messed up and now they are talking of the new strain grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 11:07am On Dec 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

Can he go against the objectives of his international contributors if they ask him to do anything against Nigeria?

I know your point of view, but sometimes, we need to bury some beliefs and let science and true research take its cause.

Now, I'm not working with prof Happi or in his lab, but I'm working in a Genomics lab in another w/African state and trust me, no politics about this new variants.
It might have been with us (Africa) for a longer time but was not easily detected cos all we do is detection, knowing weda a sample is negative or positive, sequencing a known positive sample is another step entirely and this is where you will get to know if there's a change in the previous sequence comparing it to the new one.

Professor is a Cameroonian -Nigerian researcher based in Osun state, Redeemers university.
His lab is one of the best molecular biology and Genomics lab in Africa,
housing some latest sequencing machines...another lab that comes so close is 54gene in Lagos

1 Like

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by codemaniacs: 11:13am On Dec 22, 2020
zz
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 11:14am On Dec 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

Both labs are sponsored by foreigners and cannot be trusted.
OK,
No prob
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by passion007: 11:23am On Dec 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

Both labs are sponsored by foreigners and cannot be trusted.

grin grin grin

Yes I would rather listen to you, my friend and fellow nairalander, than listen to a high achieving professor and foremost researcher.
What does he know?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by bigeagleeye(m): 12:29pm On Dec 22, 2020
I too know is seen on every line of your crappy note..Nigerian youths have bulldozers but will prefer to use hole to clear ignorance, why not visit ACEGID website to know how far instead of catching fun with gibberish? That Prof and that centre have rescued Nigeria from so many disasters..get knowledge thru simple researches!

Esseite:
You see how ITK(I too know) ruins economy?... you are not sure since your 1st test in August predates that of UK, while Nigeria never had a rapid increase 5 months counting , but you are quick to give press statement on assumed findings..

What is your gain if the country is isolated?, dont you know the right channel to reach the Govt?

You are facing this much insecurity on a normal day, now imagine total lockdown and international isolation.. please discover cures and vaccines, not problems... nonsense.
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by bigeagleeye(m): 12:44pm On Dec 22, 2020
Thank you for being a succour, I had feared I might not get anyone who can think thru these issues without populism and unnecessary rhetorics!

At every given time, ACEGID prides itself in having at least 6 under30 PhD researchers and Nairaland has nothing less than 600,000 under40 PHD (Pull Him Down) commentators, its a pathetic narrative!

Pavillon:

I know your point of view, but sometimes, we need to bury some beliefs and let science and true research take its cause.

Now, I'm not working with prof Happi or in his lab, but I'm working in a Genomics lab in another w/African state and trust me, no politics about this new variants.
It might have been with us (Africa) for a longer time but was not easily detected cos all we do is detection, knowing weda a sample is negative or positive, sequencing a known positive sample is another step entirely and this is where you will get to know if there's a change in the previous sequence comparing it to the new one.

Professor is a Cameroonian -Nigerian researcher based in Osun state, Redeemers university.
His lab is one of the best molecular biology and Genomics lab in Africa,
housing some latest sequencing machines...another lab that comes so close is 54gene in Lagos

Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pavillon: 1:57pm On Dec 22, 2020
bigeagleeye:
Thank you for being a succour, I had feared I might not get anyone who can think thru these issues without populism and unnecessary rhetorics!

At every given time, ACEGID prides itself in having at least 6 under30 PhD researchers and Nairaland has nothing less than 600,000 under40 PHD (Pull Him Down) commentators, its a pathetic narrative!

grin
All na degree sha.

But it baffles me how we tend to pull down people's work even without knowing anything about them.

Are you an Msc or PhD student there??
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by SirWarlock: 2:31pm On Dec 22, 2020
Pavillon:

grin
All na degree sha.

But it baffles me how we tend to pull down people's work even without knowing anything about them.

Are you an Msc or PhD student there??
a country whose anthem is 'school na scam' grin.
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by emmyN(m): 3:25pm On Dec 22, 2020
From what he's said, the data obtainable from Covid-19 in Nigeria are largely inconsistent and cannot be relied upon to draw accurate inference. While the new strain considered more deadly has reportedly being found in Nigeria since August, there was no spike in the number of Covid 19 cases then.

So what then can we attribute to the recent increase? Definitely not the new strain as that has been ruled out. Let's wait and see what new script the government comes up with. It's plausible that the numbers are being padded to mimic what is happening in foreign countries, all for the purpose of cashing out. Wuruwuru federal government.
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 22, 2020
Nigeria is only very good in inventing deadly sicknesses. grin
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by bewla(m): 4:49pm On Dec 22, 2020
Esseite:

Dont mind the man, he is only Looking for clout, saying we had the new corona strain since August even before UK, meanwhile our infection rate is not even an inch of UK.

Like he is expecting nations to shut us out like they have done UK without considering the repercautions..

Thanks
I no get am before but him wahala not mine
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pyhonist: 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2020
Mumu people.

Very soon we will start hearing that there is EboCovic20 in Nigeria.
Re: ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 by Pelecius: 9:00pm On Dec 22, 2020
bigeagleeye:

Chai
Just kill me abeg grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! / Seven Tips To Avoid Monkeypox / 10 Of The World's Most Famous Conjoined Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.