Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants (9116 Views)

Poll: Looks like a good offer. Should we sell??

Yes: 50% (70 votes)
No: 32% (45 votes)
Don't Care: 17% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

FG To Commence Work On Three Coal Power Plants / Nigeria Fails To Attract $100bn Oil Investments / BRICS Nations To Create $100bn Development Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by member479760: 11:07am On Mar 29, 2011
Nigerians are good in everything but not in electricity. why?
electricity is a perfect science what you put is what you get, it's not banking that we can fake. we have everything to generate power still we can't.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by ideylaff: 11:43am On Mar 29, 2011
Nigerians are good in everything but not in electricity. why?
electricity is a perfect science what you put is what you get, it's not banking that we can fake. we have everything to generate power still we can't.

Yes you are right in a way

The Road Map is full off a lot of Red tape, still no sign of anyone with a well rounded experience technical know how @ the level of formulating the ideas/vision. undecided

Whose vision are we running with ? Is it GEJ already running from a simple debate  sad

Over 149 pages of a Road Map Document that will never be read by any of these make believe "I'm so busy with my parastatal" people,

That is why we are not moving forward, 2 much talking NO ACTION,

I bet you there will be another 10 to 20 seminars on power before 2012,

we always start all over again where we've stopped b4,

This looks like another NITEL to me,

NB:

See the document and the number of Red Tape over paid prima donnas on the 2 Committes ,

PRESIDENTIAL ACTION COMMITTEE ON POWER (PACP)  PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON POWER (PTFP)  /  (have we not seen all these before) angry

GEJ's power sector reform plan grin

[url]http://www.nigeriapowerreform.org/rokdownloads/Roadmap%20for%20Power%20Sector%20Reform%20Full%20Version.pdf[/url]
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by OWOLAYEMO: 11:46am On Mar 29, 2011
Unlocking Nigeria power sector in any form is tantamount to unlocking the enourmous potential of this country. I wholesomely suports this initiative.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by JUO(m): 12:38pm On Mar 29, 2011
all is not well
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Reference(m): 1:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
Seun:

The telecoms industry is not in the hands of a single foreign company.

Exactly. We are not comparing apples and oranges here as some may want to believe. . PHCN today is exactly what NITEL was yesterday. Its like asking MTN, GLO, Etisalat, Airtel and the lot to bid for parts of NITEL and having the government like take charge of the transmission towers or something. That would get us nowhere. The telecomms project succeeded not because any carrier has a monopoly but each had control of its business top to bottom and could freely interconnect with one another under government supervision. This should be done with the power sector. The market is large enough.

Government keeps on pretending as if the current transmission or distribution system is so effective and efficient it is worth buying. Who says that. All it will give the potential buyer is a head start. Nothing more. PHCN's systems are operated far below the efficiencies any private entity could profitably run and it will be a matter of time before any potential investor trashes it. The Ajaokuta Steel Mill comes to mind. All government needs to do is to broaden the market. Sell the whole stuff - plants, exploding transformers, breakdowns, curses and all to the Brazilians, but by every means ensure that a few more licenses are issued. Regions of ultra high demand must be made competitive such as Lagos, Onitsha and Aba. Government can then offer various incentives for sparsely populated areas and the homes of the leeches who will never pay their bills. Or it may choose to wait for a decade for full roll out.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by ektbear: 1:28pm On Mar 29, 2011
ideylaff:

See the document and the number of Red Tape over paid prima donnas on the 2 Committes ,

PRESIDENTIAL ACTION COMMITTEE ON POWER (PACP)  PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON POWER (PTFP)  /  (have we not seen all these before) angry

[/color]

GEJ's power sector reform plan grin

[url]http://www.nigeriapowerreform.org/rokdownloads/Roadmap%20for%20Power%20Sector%20Reform%20Full%20Version.pd[/url]
Only read through it once. But it looks like a pretty good plan. Not perfect, but pretty good. Certainly better than what I've seen from the other major candidates.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by PapaBrowne(m): 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

Only read through it once. But it looks like a pretty good plan. Not perfect, but pretty good. Certainly better than what I've seen from the other major candidates.

The exact reason why I'm voting GEJ. This power road map should not be tampered with. It is about the only road out of darkness for this country.
Solving power would transform this country. The resultant effect on our economy and job creation would be crazy!!

I admire Buhari's quest for discipline and anti corruption. But I think ending our power problem might be more favourable than fighting corruption at this point in our history. Corruption has become cultural so it would take more than a president sending goons on politicians to erase the anomaly!
The corruption inherent in the citizenry is worse off than that of the politicians.

My prayer is that the will to execute this power plan would continue because I must confess, I think lethargy has started setting in!!
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by ektbear: 7:09pm On Mar 29, 2011
^-- I think it is possible to multi-task, though. Buhari can fight corruption, and leave this task force in place to make sure power moves along.

Anyway, while I don't much care for GEJ, I won't be too sad if he wins. . . so long as he gets electricity up and running.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by mekaboy(m): 8:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
cry cry cry cry

SO THIS IS THE PLAN FOR GEJ AND PDP TO SELL NIGERIAN? WHICH BRAZILIAN COMPANY? NIGERIANS DON'T BE DECEIVED, THESE CRIMINALS HAVE ARE USING THESE BRAZILIAN INVESTOR TO FRONT AS A FOREIGN INVESTOR.

THEY WANT TO INVEST THE $100BILLION WHICH THEY STOLE FROM NIGERIAN, IN NIGERIA AND PRETEND TO BE A FOREIGN INVESTOR? SO THEY WANT NIGERIANS TO BE PAYING ELECTRICITY BILLS TO THEM AND THEIR GENERATION FOREVER?

IMAGINE A BUNCH OF OLD CRIMINAL PDP POLITICIANS WANT TO SETTLE THEMSELVES WITH THE NIGERIAN POWER SECTOR? SO THEY INVEST THE MONEY THEY STOLE FROM NIGERIA, AND HAVE NIGERIANS CITIZENS PAYING THEM AND THEIR GENERATIONS TO COME ELECTRICITY BILL FOREVER AND EVER cry cry cry cry cry cry

GOD WILL WIPE THEM OUT LIKE A TSUNAMI . shocked shocked shocked
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by lastpage: 1:55am On Mar 30, 2011
I dont like anything "Indian or Lebanese", when it comes to employment!
For that Minister to be telling PHCN staff that the company will employ them and would not bring in foreigners, shows that even the Minister is compromised!

Go to any company where "Indians in particular", have held any senior post and you will pity the Nigerian staff!
*First, they would ask the Nigerian staff to "train the indians and then make the indians their master!
*They would then ensure that only indians are in sensitive and progressive areas (areas where personal development of staff can occur)
Eventually, all the local lads would be locked on menial jobs and finally frustrated out.
Its happened over and over again and one of the Telecoms company is currently suffering that fate!

Employ "one indian", employ all indians, is the motto!

Mind you, l dont have anything against indians personally, l just dont like "a parasite that consumes its host"!

Why are we not looking towards Europe/North America for modern and efficient technology?

And dont ever make the mistake of concentrating too much "power in one company", not even in the power sector otherwise, we might be held hostage one day!
Electricity is a matter of national security, l hope our "leaders" know this?
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by maxproxl: 8:02am On Mar 30, 2011
this is a big lie, no single investor can afford that amount, except its a group of investors.

u're talking billions of dollars here not millions. only few countries in the world are worth $100billion and thats only developed ones,
its a big lie so poster, stop deceiving us.

when blue star consortium a group made up of (dangote group, zenon group & river state govt) acquired two oil refineries under obasanjo regime, it was less than $800million. even the world richest man carlos slim & no 2(bill gates) cant afford that, no group of bank will also issue that amount as loan to any investor since the risk on investment is high. what collateral will he used to back it.

ITS A BIG LIE. NAIRALANDERS. DONT BE DECEIVED
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2011
When it comes to generating electricity for 150 million people, you cant do it successfully and efficiently without the use of Nuclear energy. Remember, its the only way, hydro and gas are old school
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 01, 2011
See corruption angry

Buhari has a proven track record of performing as Head of State and Chairman of PTF.-

As Head of State he stamped out corruption-

Reduced crime rate to low level-

Reduced inflation from 39% to 5.5%-

Most people here know how the PTF positively impacted their lives.-
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by UpBendel(m): 4:00pm On Apr 01, 2011
Time to chop money!!!!
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 01, 2011
$100bn is nothing

OBJ looted $100bn by himself in my estimation.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by EzeUche(m): 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2011
GenBuhari:

$100bn is nothing

OBJ looted $100bn by himself in my estimation.

You are definitely exaggerating. Where are you getting your numbers from? Even Sani Abacha, the most kleptocratic thief that Nigeria has ever seen did not loot that amount.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 01, 2011
Iam not exaggerating at all, ObJ had record high oil prices for majority of his 8year tenure, what have we got to show for it not even simple .elctricity angry
Abacha did not loot 1/20th of what OBJ did  consider the oil revenue of the 2 regimes and Abacha in approx half the time in office as OBJ with a 10th of the revenue OBJ had, Abacha still performed better in every way from infrastructural development to economic performance / inflation and lower crime levels.

OBJ has been described by independent reporters as the biggest looter  /most corrupt in the history of Africa

Guess who gave Nigeria the impression that Abacha was the biggest looter? You guessed it - OBJ himself angry

I am not condoning Abacha's looting oh!  Just giving some perspective.
EzeUche:

You are definitely exaggerating. Where are you getting your numbers from? Even Sani Abacha, the most kleptocratic thief that Nigeria has ever seen did not loot that amount.
Re: Brazilian Investor Offers $100bn For Nigeria's 23 Power Plants by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
so what happened to this bs story?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 5 Most Effective And Influential Tv Ads In 2011 / How To Make Carrot Soap & Exfoliating & Lightening Soap In Nigeria? / Nigeria's Cocoa Production Rises By 28%, Now Largest Non-oil Export Earner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.