Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,921 members, 7,863,239 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:36 PM

Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? (3099 Views)

UNN Zoology Students Afraid To Carry Snakes During Practical Class (Video) / I’m Afraid To Go To School Again, Pupil Who Survived Lagos Building Collapse / People Are Afraid To Study In National Open University Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by LotaTee: 11:21pm On Dec 24, 2020
To answer the op's question, I'm scared of dying because of the mystery surrounding the process.No one really knows what happens after death except the dead and they're unable to give account... obviously.grin

On the other hand, I hate the idea of eternity.It'd nice to die after a ripe old age.So I'm not really scared.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by dinerodipps: 1:55am On Dec 25, 2020
This is always a dicey situation when I try to think of it most times. I have seen life leave people right before me, and I have also had my life taken almost from me at different times.

I fear the family I would leave behind, and the pains they would pass through. I fear the possibility of the unknown (an afterlife, even though I don't believe it). Aside all these laid down fears, there is nothing I am scared of not even the pain that comes with death.

I have had my fill in this lifetime, I have taken the lives of men, and people who stood in the way of my objective, so I feel its normal I don't die in a peaceful way. Most of the things I have done, I regret but I have come to a realization that it can't be changed.

I have poisoned a man, so why shouldn't I feel the pain he felt too when dying after all I am not special. My religion before I left has already prepared me for death, and given me little hope of reincarnation (which I hope doesn't happen because I may suffer for the sins of my past life in the new one, I think its a karmic circle as it is called).

For my daughters' and wife's sake I hope to stay alive but working in the intelligence you don't know when you would be executed (either by the government or terrorists). I hope to quit my job soon to give my kid the life she deserves, and not be the father who stayed away because of his job. If I die I would like memory of my life in her mind to be a joyful one, and not one full of regrets.

I hope I make peace with humanity and also wish that families of my victims will forgive me.

Happy Holiday Folks.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by 444crop: 3:56am On Dec 25, 2020
Which is why am having as much fun as I can now so when the day comes, u look back and have no reason to regret.... Except for the fear of the unknown

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by CAPSLOCKED: 5:20am On Dec 25, 2020
oscarsam:

It's quite unfortunate that to some extent, you are still ignorant about how the universe came to be and the principles that guides it.

I leave you to your believe.

YOU'RE THE IGNORANT ONE TO CLAIM TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THE UNIVERSE CAME TO BE AND THE PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE IT. IF I ASK YOU TO LET ME KNOW WHAT'S UP I'M SURE YOU'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SOME CREATOR DEITY AND ALL THE JARGONS YOU LEARNT FROM SUNDAY SCHOOL.

ALSO, DISBELIEF IS NOT BELIEF. THAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR IMAGINATIONS DOESN'T MEAN THAT I BELIEVE IN DISBELIEF. LMAO.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by TheSourcerer: 5:39am On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

Didn't note this earlier.

Do you believe there is some sort of reincarnation after death?
it seems yes , just like as stars are destroyed and reborn, yes I believe we are photons , lights , ending up in this body as lava need in mountains , photons in stars , galaxies , either that or blackness which again is empty space

But so far reading and getting information from recently 'reincarnated children ' is stunning , giving instances and dates (I still have my doubts about this one , but it would expla6why we sometimes have unconnected memories )

For instance how does a man in India ,an average man who has no idea of Maths be able to solve a theory that has baffled the Europeans for years , he didn't even knew maths existed , This really happened .

Quick question Reed
Do you think maths was invented or discovered.?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by TheSourcerer: 5:42am On Dec 25, 2020
LotaTee:
To answer the op's question, I'm scared of dying because of the mystery surrounding the process.No one really knows what happens after death except the dead and they're unable to give account... obviously.grin

On the other hand, I hate the idea of eternity.It'd nice to die after a ripe old age.So I'm not really scared.
does it bring comfort to still know you will die at 'ripe age' , I dont think anybody truly believes any age is ripe for death. Hence we would see a lot of old people killing themselves, if fear of the unknown is the reason of fearing death , shouldn't that be a reason to look forward to something new and different?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Mamayam: 6:10am On Dec 25, 2020
oscarsam:

Then in this sense, you mean that life came out of nothing and as well we do not exist, as something cannot come out of nothing?

Nevertheless, you've not answered the question i asked as regards to learning and driving a car.
Life coming from something or nothing has nothing to do with afterlife.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Lastoffourtnyt: 7:03am On Dec 25, 2020
Because I haven't start living
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by LordReed(m): 7:56am On Dec 25, 2020
TheSourcerer:
it seems yes , just like as stars are destroyed and reborn, yes I believe we are photons , lights , ending up in this body as lava need in mountains , photons in stars , galaxies , either that or blackness which again is empty space

Yeah sure the elements that make us come from somewhere else and go elsewhere when we die, no dispute there.

But so far reading and getting information from recently 'reincarnated children ' is stunning , giving instances and dates (I still have my doubts about this one , but it would expla6why we sometimes have unconnected memories )

This is where the issue is. There is no concrete evidence that any thing of the consciousness of an individual survives death. I have read some of these reports but the details are so sketchy I can't be convinced. If you have links to any studies that have details, post them lemme take a look.

For instance how does a man in India ,an average man who has no idea of Maths be able to solve a theory that has baffled the Europeans for years , he didn't even knew maths existed , This really happened .

Link please. The only similar story I can find is of a student of Indian decent living in Germany solving a 350year old puzzle. Obviously he had access to a wealth of knowledge even though he is young.

Quick question Reed
Do you think maths was invented or discovered.?

Math is like language, they both describe concepts that are independent of our experience as well as those we do experience, point being the math or language are separate from the things they describe. In that regard I would say math is invented however the concepts it describes were discovered.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Jazzman01: 9:13am On Dec 25, 2020
TheSourcerer:
I see death as sleeping and waking up a baby some other generations after ,

Death I believe is a Transition , the idea of the fear of death I dont understand

Roots in oral /religious traditions maybe , but then again why does the basic instinct fear death

Deers run immediately seeing a pride of lions
A puppy or 2 weeks (never known death ) left alone in a chicken pen would decapitated all before morning.

Is death not something normal , natural and not to be feared because it is unknown?

Merry Christmas Reed.

It is very simple. The creator has put the fear of death and all necessary defense mechanism in all living things so that they avoid death and live as long as possible to reproduce without going extinct.

Think of it this way, as an Engineer if you want to create something to last as much as possible then you have to put in several mechanisms and features to ensure the safety and longevity of that thing, otherwise it wont last long before everything spoils and ends.

Life is the most precious and priceless thing in this world and the creator has put so many things in place to avoid its extinction. One of those things is the sexual urge we experience and also the incredible ectasy/climax/orgasm/gratification we experience during copulation, making it irresistible and forcing living things to fall for it repeatedly.

For those that doesn't believe in the Idea of a creator eg a certain CAPSLOCKED and other Atheist I want you to pounder on these points especially take a critical look at the male orgasm. Why does the male orgasm happen simultaneously with the time the seed is been deposited? I can see a grand design here and It is just too evident that an intelligent entity is behind all these acts.

CC : hopefulandlord

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by femi4: 9:50am On Dec 25, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Open thread please.
Wrong question, everyone is gonna die whether you are afraid of death or not

Right question: Why do you believe it's too early for you to die?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 9:56am On Dec 25, 2020
Darn, I don't want to die early but more importantly, I don't want a violent death like a tragic car/bike accident, being shot, stabbed etc. I do not like anything violent.
Merry Christmas Darn, did you check out what I asked you to?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Nickshrapnel: 10:16am On Dec 25, 2020
I’m actually looking forward to dying. I need to know or see what happens after.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by dinerodipps: 10:24am On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

This question may not have been directed at me but I would like to share an experience.

I am an Eckist by birth (a member of Eckankar), my religion has reincarnation as one of its core beliefs, so I was made to believe it.

I was made to believe it was a real phenomenon, when my younger sibling was born, my father said he acted like my grandfather and also looked a lot like him this was over 25 years ago, and he still exhibits the behavior my grandfather had in his lifetime.

Even though I may have lost faith in God, and religion due to my human experiences an inner part of me believes that some things are out of the ordinary (like reincarnation).
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by tunjijones(m): 10:27am On Dec 25, 2020
dinerodipps:
This is always a dicey situation when I try to think of it most times. I have seen life leave people right before me, and I have also had my life taken almost from me at different times.

I fear the family I would leave behind, and the pains they would pass through. I fear the possibility of the unknown (an afterlife, even though I don't believe it). Aside all these laid down fears, there is nothing I am scared of not even the pain that comes with death.

I have had my fill in this lifetime, I have taken the lives of men, and people who stood in the way of my objective, so I feel its normal I don't die in a peaceful way. Most of the things I have done, I regret but I have come to a realization that it can't be changed.

I have poisoned a man, so why shouldn't I feel the pain he felt too when dying after all I am not special. My religion before I left has already prepared me for death, and given me little hope of reincarnation (which I hope doesn't happen because I may suffer for the sins of my past life in the new one, I think its a karmic circle as it is called).

For my daughters' and wife's sake I hope to stay alive but working in the intelligence you don't know when you would be executed (either by the government or terrorists). I hope to quit my job soon to give my kid the life she deserves, and not be the father who stayed away because of his job. If I die I would like memory of my life in her mind to be a joyful one, and not one full of regrets.

I hope I make peace with humanity and also wish that families of my victims will forgive me.

Happy Holiday Folks.

You say you fear for the people you wld leave behind and the pains.... Do you believe that in less than one month after your death your loved ones wld have moved on with their lives and all you wld be wld just be a memory. That you died doesnt stop life from going on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by dinerodipps: 10:29am On Dec 25, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Darn, I don't want to die early but more importantly, I don't want a violent death like a tragic car/bike accident, being shot, stabbed etc. I do not like anything violent.
Merry Christmas Darn, did you check out what I asked you to?

A violent death isn't bad, you should rather hope that the pain ends fast.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by dinerodipps: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2020
tunjijones:

You say you fear for the people you wld leave behind and the pains.... Do you believe that in less than one month after your death your loved ones wld have moved on with their lives and all you wld be wld just be a memory. That you died doesnt stop life from going on.

Certainly people would move on when someone dies no matter how close they are. That's why I hope to spend a lot of time with them before it happens, so that I can make a memory to last a century. I wouldn't want my daughter, or my wife to forget me easily I live for them.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by LordReed(m): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2020
dinerodipps:

This question may not have been directed at me but I would like to share an experience.

I am an Eckist by birth (a member of Eckankar), my religion has reincarnation as one of its core beliefs, so I was made to believe it.

I was made to believe it was a real phenomenon, when my younger sibling was born, my father said he acted like my grandfather and also looked a lot like him this was over 25 years ago, and he still exhibits the behavior my grandfather had in his lifetime.

Even though I may have lost faith in God, and religion due to my human experiences an inner part of me believes that some things are out of the ordinary (like reincarnation).

Thanks for sharing but with no disrespect to your experience this is one of the less convincing evidences usually put forward for this phenomenon.

I look like my Dad, I sound like him (I've had people think they were talking to him on the phone) and I have behaviours like him too. Would this then be proof my Dad reincarnated or cloned himself? Nope because we now know how genetics works. Traits are passed down to successive generations and can skip any number of generations and resurface later. Looking and behaving like an ancestor is evidence of genetic inheritance not of reincarnation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Aquilinae: 10:46am On Dec 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU'RE THE IGNORANT ONE TO CLAIM TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THE UNIVERSE CAME TO BE AND THE PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE IT. IF I ASK YOU TO LET ME KNOW WHAT'S UP I'M SURE YOU'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SOME CREATOR DEITY AND ALL THE JARGONS YOU LEARNT FROM SUNDAY SCHOOL.

ALSO, DISBELIEF IS NOT BELIEF. THAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR IMAGINATIONS DOESN'T MEAN THAT I BELIEVE IN DISBELIEF. LMAO.
What do you believe in?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2020
Aquilinae:
What do you believe in?

MANY THINGS, ACTUALLY. BUT NONE OF THEM INVOLVE UNPROVEN IMAGINARY THINGS.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by tunjijones(m): 10:53am On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

Yeah sure the elements that make us come from somewhere else and go elsewhere when we die, no dispute there.

This is where the issue is. There is no concrete evidence that any thing of the consciousness of an individual survives death. I have read some of these reports but the details are so sketchy I can't be convinced. If you have links to any studies that have details, post them lemme take a look.

Link please. The only similar story I can find is of a student of Indian decent living in Germany solving a 350year old puzzle. Obviously he had access to a wealth of knowledge even though he is young.

Math is like language, they both describe concepts that are independent of our experience as well as those we do experience, point being the math or language are separate from the things they describe. In that regard I would say math is invented however the concepts it describes were discovered.

My younger sister is an example only that she doesnt know anything that happened in the former life. My dad claimed my sister is his mom that died.

My grandma died with a big boil under her armpit. 10 months later my younger sister was born with a dark patch at the same spot my grandma has boil. The dark patch started clearing gradually. Before she was a month old the patch has cleared completely.

I dont even knw what to believe.
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

The main issue is how you see some aspects of reality.

Humans, just like all other living things (animals, plants, microbes, etc.) have souls (consciousness) or are souls (put more directly).

In Physics, wave-particle duality refers to the fundamental property of matter where, at one moment it appears like a wave, and yet at another moment it acts like a particle.

This concept has been proven beyond doubt at the microscopic level (including elementary particles) and in compound molecules (including those with more than 2000 atoms).

Microscopic particles like electrons, protons have longer wavelengths so their wave-like properties are easy to detect and measure (by measuring their wavelengths).

But macroscopic particles (matter) like humans, plants, etc. have extremely shorter wavelengths, which are very difficult to detect.

From de-Broglie equation, the higher the mass (momentum), the lower the wavelength.

Scientists have not been able to detect wavelengths of macroscopic particles as of yet, but that doesn't mean the wave-particle paradox doesn't apply to them as matter.

Perhaps when scientists make this discovery (the detection) in the future, it will open the door to things like teleportation (traveling at the speed of light in your wave form as a light), interplanetary travels, time travel, and co.

That you can't measure or detect something yet doesn't mean that thing doesn't exist, since other forms of evidence support its existence.

And again, if you understand how the human eye works, you'll know that what we see isn't actually what exists since the lens filters some parts of light (other waves in the electromagnetic spectrum) entering the eyes.

Philosophically, duality is a fundamental aspect of our reality.

As a scientifically minded person who's irreligious, I don't see the concept of soul or spirit the way a religious person does.

I see the soul as a form of wave (a kind of light) and the spirit as its body (energy body).

Based on my personal experience via lucid dreams and OBE, I know the soul and spirit exist with a physical basis in science (wave-particle duality).

This quote from Otem's book succinctly captures what happens when a person dies (just as it's portrayed in Hollywood movies):

"A homo said, why is our soul not out of our body? Why can we not see the soul?

Then Bongo spoke this parable, saying, a homo put pot on fire, and put water in the pot and covered it up.

Now the water remained in the pot which was covered until the homo opened it. Now when he had opened the pot, much vapour arose and escaped with the air.

And it disappeared into the atmosphere.

Now the body is like the water which is in the pot. For the body can be touched, but the vapour is the soul of the water which is forced out of
the water and diffuses upward.

So also are the souls of a homo in likeness. For when the homo is dead, his soul shall go upward to the afterlife with a spiritual body." Book of Universal History pg. 319

The Book explains how our ancestors (in the homo sapiens era) came to be: from stars.

According to the literature, the first homo sapiens came into existence when many stars fell from the sky and these early humans (beginning from Africa) emerged from the stars that fell on mountains, lowland, etc.

This shows humans are connected to stars (as it's said in some cultures around the world), and that has even been verified in science as you're aware.

Stars are born, die, and are reborn (just like humans, too).

Reincarnation is not a myth. And some scientists have even done studies on the concept. (I shared some links and evidence for it on Nairaland sometime ago.)

The real nature of a person is the soul (the wave-like form), and it doesn't die, while the body is merely an illusion (the interpretation of the brain).

Then again, if you see matter from an "energy" point of view (as a form of wave, for instance), you'll know nothing really dies as energy cannot be created or destroyed but only changes form.

Recall that, mass and energy are interconvertible, as established by Einstein (they're one and the same).

1 Like

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by LordReed(m): 12:23pm On Dec 25, 2020
tunjijones:

My younger sister is an example only that she doesnt know anything that happened in the former life. My dad claimed my sister is his mom that died.

My grandma died with a big boil under her armpit. 10 months later my younger sister was born with a dark patch at the same spot my grandma has boil. The dark patch started clearing gradually. Before she was a month old the patch has cleared completely.

I dont even knw what to believe.

No disrespect to your experience but this seems like a case of coincidence. Babies are born with varying amounts of blemishes on their skin so I can't be convinced that a patch indicates a past lived life. My daughter was born with a full head of hair and skin so white the doctors thought she was jaundiced (she wasn't), it would be crazy for me to now claim Michael Jackson has been reincarnated because he "bleached" his skin before he died.
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by seanwilliam(m): 12:46pm On Dec 25, 2020
I don’t fear death but I no one die now Biko
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by psyco: 12:57pm On Dec 25, 2020
oscarsam:

It's quite unfortunate that to some extent, you are still ignorant about how the universe came to be and the principles that guides it.

I leave you to your believe.
they are really ignorant but don't know it.

They want to prove the supernatural/extraterrestrial with natural instruments/science.

It like saying the ocean has no weight because we can't measure it. Or a bind man saying light doesn't exist because he can't see it.

At las, they can only chase the wind.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by oscarsam(m): 1:33pm On Dec 25, 2020
psyco:
they are really ignorant but don't know it.

They want to prove the supernatural/extraterrestrial with natural instruments/science.

It like saying the ocean has no weight because we can't measure it. Or a bind man saying light doesn't exist because he can't see it.

At las, they can only chase the wind.

Time shall tell Sir, time shall tell

1 Like

Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by LordReed(m): 2:03pm On Dec 25, 2020
gensteejay:

The main issue is how you see some aspects of reality.

Humans, just like all other living things (animals, plants, microbes, etc.) have souls (consciousness) or are souls (put more directly).

In Physics, wave-particle duality refers to the fundamental property of matter where, at one moment it appears like a wave, and yet at another moment it acts like a particle.

I am familiar with wave particle duality and have a correction for you. Subatomic particles have both characteristics of the classical description of a particle and of a wave at the same time, not that at one time they display one set of characteristics then at another time they display a different set.

This concept has been proven beyond doubt at the microscopic level (including elementary particles) and in compound atoms (including those with more than 2000 atoms).

Microscopic particles like electrons, protons have longer wavelengths so their wave-like properties are easy to detect and measure (by measuring their wavelengths).

But macroscopic particles (matter) like humans, plants, etc. have extremely shorter wavelengths, which are very difficult to detect.

From de-Broglie equation, the higher the mass (momentum), the lower the wavelength.

Scientists have not been able to detect wavelengths of macroscopic particles as of yet, but that doesn't mean the wave-particle paradox doesn't apply to them as matter.

Sure wave particle duality for subatomic particles is well established. One reason we don't see it at the macro level is because at anything above the subatomic level the wave function has collapsed and so the particles no longer exhibit the wave attributes. This of course is a simplified explanation, you'd need to read scientific materials for a more in depth explanation.

The consequence of this collapse means its unlikely that matter at our macro level will be found to be displaying the wave particle duality.

Perhaps when scientists make this discovery (the detection) in the future, it will open the door to things like teleportation (traveling at the speed of light in your wave form as a light), interplanetary travels, time travel, and co.

Maybe. I am always hopeful that some new discovery will lead to these things.

That you can't measure or detect something yet doesn't mean that thing doesn't exist, since other forms of evidence support its existence.

And again, if you understand how the human eye works, you'll know that what we see isn't actually what exists since the lens filters some parts of light (other waves in the electromagnetic spectrum) entering the eyes.

Philosophically, duality is a fundamental aspect of our reality.

Agreed.

As a scientifically minded person who's irreligious, I don't see the concept of soul or spirit the way a religious person does.

I see the soul as a form of wave (a kind of light) and the spirit as its body (energy body).

Based on my personal experience via lucid dreams and OBE, I know the soul and spirit exist with a physical basis in science (wave-particle duality).

A very simple way to demonstrate the existence of souls and spirits is to identify something only they can affect that is measurable.

This quote from Otem's book succinctly captures what happens when a person dies (just as it's portrayed in Hollywood movies):

"A homo said, why is our soul not out of our body? Why can we not see the soul?

Then Bongo spoke this parable, saying, a homo put pot on fire, and put water in the pot and covered it up.

Now the water remained in the pot which was covered until the homo opened it. Now when he had opened the pot, much vapour arose and escaped with the air.

And it disappeared into the atmosphere.

Now the body is like the water which is in the pot. For the body can be touched, but the vapour is the soul of the water which is forced out of
the water and diffuses upward.

So also are the souls of a homo in likeness. For when the homo is dead, his soul shall go upward to the afterlife with a spiritual body." Book of Universal History pg. 319

The Book explains how our ancestors (in the homo sapiens era) came to be: from stars.

According to the literature, the first homo sapiens came into existence when many stars fell from the sky and these early humans (beginning from Africa) emerged from the stars that fell on mountains, lowland, etc.

This shows humans are connected to stars (as it's said in some cultures around the world), and that has even been verified in science as you're aware.

Stars are born, die, and are reborn (just like humans, too).

Reincarnation is not a myth. And some scientists have even done studies on the concept. (I shared some links and evidence for it on Nairaland sometime ago.)

There's no doubt that we are products of the universe. This fact does not now prove that something of our consciousness survives death. Feel free to post links the studies you are referring to.

The real nature of a person is the soul (the wave-like form), and it doesn't die, while the body is merely an illusion (the interpretation of the brain).

If this is true then your memories from birth till now should be clear and available. To me this is an indication that this cannot be the case.

Then again, if you see matter from an "energy" point of view (as a form of wave, for instance), you'll know nothing really dies as energy cannot be created or destroyed but only changes form.

Recall that, mass and energy are interconvertible, as established by Einstein (they're one and the same).

The full form of the statement that you are referring to specifies that it is certain in an isolated system. To extrapolate this to mean that this is the case for all systems is not supported by science. Also if you accept that energy can be converted what gives you the confidence that the energy you say is the soul or spirit is not converted at death to a different form of energy so completely there is no trace of consciousness left?
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

I am familiar with wave particle duality and have a correction for you. Subatomic particles have both characteristics of the classical description of a particle and of a wave at the same time, not that at one time they display one set of characteristics then at another time they display a different set.
That clearly depends on the observer.

LordReed:
Sure wave particle duality for subatomic particles is well established. One reason we don't see it at the macro level is because at anything above the subatomic level the wave function has collapsed and so the particles no longer exhibit the wave attributes. This of course is a simplified explanation, you'd need to read scientific materials for a more in depth explanation.

The consequence of this collapse means its unlikely that matter at our macro level will be found to be displaying the wave particle duality.
Unlikely? We'll see.

LordReed:
A very simple way to demonstrate the existence of souls and spirits is to identify something only they can affect that is measurable.
Science will get there. Spirit is a part of the soul. If you follow the history of science, you won't need a soothsayer to tell you that more types of waves and states of matter will still be discovered in the near future.

LordReed:
There's no doubt that we are products of the universe. This fact does not now prove that something of our consciousness survives death.
Does it disprove the highlighted? What's your own theory?

Are you 100% certain that a person's existence ends the moment they die? What makes you so sure?

LordReed:
Feel free to post links the studies you are referring to.
1. https://www.scribd.com/doc/36464062/Ian-Stevenson-Where-Reincarnation-and-Biology-Intersect
2. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/ian-stevensone28099s-case-for-the-afterlife-are-we-e28098skepticse28099-really-just-cynics/
3. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_B._Tucker

Some common proofs for reincarnation:
1. https://www.liveabout.com/reincarnation-best-evidence-2593151
2. https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/716499/reincarnation-REAL-proof-life-after-death/amp

LordReed:
If this is true then your memories from birth till now should be clear and available. To me this is an indication that this cannot be the case.
Reincarnation occurs many years after death (even up to 10,000 years or more according to some books), and a person that chooses to reincarnate usually loses most of their memories because of the long period. Just like on reaching adulthood, most people don't remember most of the things they did as a kid or while in the womb.

LordReed:
The full form of the statement that you are referring to specifies that it is certain in an isolated system. To extrapolate this to mean that this is the case for all systems is not supported by science. Also if you accept that energy can be converted what gives you the confidence that the energy you say is the soul or spirit is not converted at death to a different form of energy so completely there is no trace of consciousness left?
Can you have an isolated system in reality? Have you seen one?

The whole universe is a matrix of particles, bodies (souls), stars, planets, galaxies, etc. all interacting and exchanging heat and matter with one another. Nothing can exist -- or exists -- in isolation.

Even though scientists are yet to measure wavelengths of massive objects (like humans), philosophically, the concept of duality applies to humans as well i.e. body (particle/matter) and soul (light/wave).
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by TheSourcerer: 3:14pm On Dec 25, 2020
femi4:
Wrong question, everyone is gonna die whether you are afraid of death or not

Right question: Why do you believe it's too early for you to die?
practically means the same thing, every or late , its still death .

Merry Christmas buddy
Re: Why Are You (not) Afraid To Die? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 25, 2020
LordReed:

I am familiar with wave particle duality and have a correction for you.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/2000-atoms-in-two-places-at-once.html

That's the link to an experiment to demonstrate the existence of a molecule containing 2000 atoms as a matter wave, and the scientists are planning to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter in bigger molecules (and even in humans) in the future.

Theoretically, all matter (including humans) exists as a particle and as a wave. Philosophically, it's also true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Literature In English Practice Tests (A Government Driver On His Retirement) / Jupeb Cuttoff Marks For All Nigerian Universities / Good Project Tips And Guides For Final Year Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.