Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,063 members, 7,828,766 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Top Rare Mental Disorders - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Rare Mental Disorders (1776 Views)

Mental Disorders / World's First Rare White Kiwi That Inspired Children's Books Dies (Photos) / Diagnostic And Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders DSM-5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2020
If I get banned, Dominique please get me out

Here are horrible mental disorders that people have I real life

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Alice in Wonderland may be pure fantasy, but one of Alice’s more bizarre experiences shares its characteristics with a scary mental disorder. Known also as Todd Syndrome, Alice in Wonderland Syndrome causes one’s surroundings to appear distorted. Just as Alice grows too tall for the house, those suffering from Alice in Wonderland Syndrome will hear sounds either quieter or louder than they actually are, see objects larger or smaller than reality, and even lose sense of accurate velocity or textures. This terrifying disorder, which has been described as an LSD trip without the euphoria, even perverts one’s own body image. Fortunately, Alice in Wonderland Syndrome is extremely rare, and in most cases affects those in their 20s who have a brain tumor or history of drug use.

Palehair dyt LordReed hopefullandlord UndauntedYOCA Bojack Xmuslim savagethe21st freethinker01 Omar09 doggedfighter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2020
ALIENHAND SYNDROME

Though it’s often been used in terrifying plot twists, Alien Hand Syndrome is hardly limited to the fictional world. Those with this scary, but fortunately rare, mental disorder experience a complete loss of control of a hand or limb. The uncontrollable limb often seems to take on a mind and will of its own, and sufferers have reported their “alien” limb attempting to choke either themselves or others, ripping clothing, or scratching to the point of blood. Alien Hand Syndrome most often appears in patients with Alzheimer’s Disease or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, or as a result of brain surgery during which the brain’s two hemispheres have been separated. Unfortunately, no cure exists for Alien Hand Syndrome, and those affected by it are often left to keep their hands constantly occupied or use their other hand to control the alien hand

2 Likes

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 3:04pm On Dec 24, 2020
Apotemnophilia

Known also as Body Integrity Disorder and Amputee Identity Disorder, Apotemnophilia is a neurological disorder characterized by the overwhelming desire to amputate or damage healthy parts of the body. Though not much is known about this strangely terrifying disorder, is is believed to be associated with damage to the right parietal lobe of the brain. Because the vast majority of surgeons will not amputate healthy limbs upon request, some sufferers of Apotemnophilia feel forced to amputate on their own — a dangerous scenario. Of those who have had a limb removed by a doctor, most are reportedly happy with their decision even after the fact.

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 3:05pm On Dec 24, 2020
CAPRAS DELUSION
Is a debilitating mental disorder in which one believes that the people around them have been replaced with imposters out to get them yeah real story ,

A sufferer a 74 year old woman called the cops , 'confused cops' was convinced that her husband had been replaced by an imposter and is out to get her

Well the good thing is that it's rare , and is usually caused by trauma affecting the brain , although common amongst people diagnosed with schizophenia dementia and Epilepsy yes Epilepsy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 3:06pm On Dec 24, 2020
BOANTHROPY

Those who suffer from the very very rare but scary mental disorder Boanthropy believe they are cows
Often going as far as behaving as such
Most sufferers are often seen on all fours with cows , yes eating grass too as if they were a true member of the herd

Sufferers don't seem to know what they are doing doing this period
Leaving researchers to believe it may have been induced from dreams or even hypnosis

Well as interesting as it sounds to some it is believed king Nebuchadnezzar of the Bible suffered from boathrophy with quote
'driven from men and did eat grass as an oxen

3 Likes

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by theFilmtric: 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2020
undecided
UN-BAN me in Romance section
I was banned by the malfunctioning anti-spam bot for Posting Merry Christmas in russian mynd44 lalsticlala seun rocktation farano
Banned by the antispam bot in Romance for
https://www.nairaland.com/6330413/merry-christmas-all-nairalanders#97402193. Ban
expires on 12:26am On Dec 26

Please unban me in the romance section.

theFilmtricsay
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 24, 2020
Quite educative.
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by LotaTee: 10:54pm On Dec 24, 2020
Wow
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by okrikaboi: 11:39pm On Dec 24, 2020
TheSourcerer:
BOANTHROPY

Those who suffer from the very very rare but scary mental disorder Boanthropy believe they are cows
Most sufferers are often seen on all fours with cows , yes eating grass too as if they were a true member of the herd

Leaving researchers to believe it may have been induced from dreams or even hypnosis

Well as interesting as it sounds to some it is believed king Nebuchadnezzar of the Bible suffered from boathrophy with quote
seven years goddamn
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:20am On Dec 25, 2020
Capras Delusion

Capras Delusion, named after Joseph Capgras, a French psychiatrist who was fascinated by the illusion of doubles, is a debilitating mental disorder in which one believes that the people around them have been replaced by imposters. Furthermore, these imposters are usually thought to be planning to harm the sufferer. In one case, a 74-year old woman with Capgras Delusion began to believe that her husband had been replaced with an identical looking imposter who was out to hurt her. Capgras Delusion is relatively rare, and is most often seen after trauma to the brain, or in those who have been diagnosed with dementia, schizophrenia, or epilepsy.

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:21am On Dec 25, 2020
Lycanthtropy

Like those with Boanthropy (described above), those who suffer from Clinical Lycanthtropy also believe themselves to be able to turn into animals — in this case, wolves and werewolves, though occasionally other types of animals are included. Along with the belief that they can become wolves, people with Clinical Lycanthropy also begin to act like an animal, and are often found living or hiding in forests and other wooded areas.

2 Shares

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:22am On Dec 25, 2020
COTARD DELUSION

There's a healthy interest in the walking dead and other Zombie trend and then theres Cotard Delusion
This Bad boy mental disorder causes sufferers to believe they are the walking dead (Literally), or a ghost and their body is decaying and or they have lost all blood or internal Organs

The feeling of having a rotten body is actually part of the delusion

In some cases most sufferers starve themselves to death

This terrifying Disorder was first described by neurologist Jules Cotard though fortunately cotards disorder has been proven rare

The most well known case occurred in Haiti , where a man abosoulutly convinced that he had died of Aids gone to hell (religious influence right)

Well as scary and folkloric as it sounds it does happen

1 Share

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:23am On Dec 25, 2020
Diogenes Syndrome

Is more commonly referred to as 'hoarding'
And is one of the most misunderstood mental Disorders , named after a Greek Philosopher Diogenes of Sinope (who was ironically a minimalist)

Sufferers have this compelling desire the collect random objects or items to which emotional attachment is now formed .

In addition to this uncontrollably hoarding , sufferers show extreme self neglect , apathy towards themselves and others , social withdrawal and no shame of their habit

Common among the elderly , people with dementia and people who at a point in their life have been abandoned (Jeffery Dahmar comes to mind) , or who lacked stable home enviroment growing up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:26am On Dec 25, 2020
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), known formerly as Multiple Personality Disorder, is a terrifying mental illness that is included in myriad movies and television shows, but is extremely misunderstood. Very generally, the less than .1% of people who suffer from DID often have 2-3 different identities (and sometimes more). Sufferers routinely cycle through their personalities, and can remain as one identity for hours or for years. They can switch identities at any time and without warning, and it’s nearly impossible to convince someone with DID that they have it. For these reasons, those with Dissociative Identity Disorder are unable to live normal lives, and therefore usually live in psychiatric institutions.

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:28am On Dec 25, 2020
Kluver-Bucy Syndrome

Imagine craving the taste of a book or wanting to have sex with a car. That’s reality for those affected by Kluver-Bucy Syndrome, a scary mental disorder characterized by memory loss, the desire to eat inedible objects, and sexual attraction to inanimate objects such as automobiles. Not surprisingly, those with Kluver-Bucy Syndrome often have trouble recognizing objects or people that should be familiar. This terrifying mental disorder is difficult to diagnose, and seems to be the result of severe injury to the brain’s temporal lobe. Unfortunately, there is not a cure for Kluver-Bucy Syndrome and sufferers are often affected for the rest of their lives.

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:46am On Dec 25, 2020
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Though it’s widely heard of and often mocked, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is fully understood by very few. OCD manifests itself in a variety of ways, but is most often characterized by immense fear, anxiety, and recurring thoughts of worry. It’s only through the repetition of tasks, including the well-known obsession with cleanliness, that sufferers of OCD are able to find relief from such overwhelming feelings. To make matters worse, those with OCD are often entirely aware that their fears are irrational, though that realization alone brings about a new cycle of anxiety. OCD affects approximately 1% of the population, and though scientists are unsure of the exact cause, it is thought that chemicals in the brain are a contributing factor.

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 5:49am On Dec 25, 2020
Merry Christmas

NB ; Christmas and Birth of Christ totally completely has nothing to do with the fat guy ,hope you enjoy your day.

2 Shares

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Nobody: 6:44am On Dec 25, 2020
TheSourcerer:
BOANTHROPY

@ the bolded

That was king Nabonidus of Babylon not Nebuchadnezzer.

Perhaps, one of the many historical inaccuracies of the Old Testament.
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by michlins(m): 7:58am On Dec 25, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Capras Delusion

Capras Delusion, named after Joseph Capgras, a French psychiatrist who was fascinated by the illusion of doubles, is a debilitating mental disorder in which one believes that the people around them have been replaced by imposters. Furthermore, these imposters are usually thought to be planning to harm the sufferer. In one case, a 74-year old woman with Capgras Delusion began to believe that her husband had been replaced with an identical looking imposter who was out to hurt her. Capgras Delusion is relatively rare, and is most often seen after trauma to the brain, or in those who have been diagnosed with dementia, schizophrenia, or epilepsy.
most IPOB members suffer from this ailment.

The jubril theory

3 Likes

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by venmotors(m): 3:15pm On Dec 25, 2020
Wow I have read about some
Thanks
��

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 7:03am On Dec 27, 2020
mansakhalifa:

@ the bolded

yeah I believe so. Not Christian though but okay
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 27, 2020
mansakhalifa:

@ the bolded

Any manuscript to know more about this?

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 27, 2020
Educative!
But everyone has a mental illness according to...

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by damtan(m): 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
I love this thread. Quietly read through

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by kabiruDK(m): 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2020
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Najdorf: 9:00am On Dec 28, 2020
Very interesting read
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Crackhead25(m): 10:08am On Dec 28, 2020
Educative piece.

1 Like

Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 01, 2021
TheSourcerer:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Though it’s widely heard of and often mocked, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is fully understood by very few. OCD manifests itself in a variety of ways, but is most often characterized by immense fear, anxiety, and recurring thoughts of worry. It’s only through the repetition of tasks, including the well-known obsession with cleanliness, that sufferers of OCD are able to find relief from such overwhelming feelings. To make matters worse, those with OCD are often entirely aware that their fears are irrational, though that realization alone brings about a new cycle of anxiety. OCD affects approximately 1% of the population, and though scientists are unsure of the exact cause, it is thought that chemicals in the brain are a contributing factor.

Op hmmm...I know you don't believe in the supernatural...but most of all these things you wrote down are signs of demonic possession..........
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by sinkhole: 6:28pm On Jan 01, 2021
Chidorx60:

Op hmmm...I know you don't believe in the supernatural...but most of all these things you wrote down are signs of demonic possession..........
hian embarassed embarassed
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 8:05pm On Jan 01, 2021
Chidorx60:

exactly cheesy

Happy new year buddy
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by mumumugu(m): 3:21am On Jan 02, 2021
I used to think I was abnormal
Now I am sure I am.normao
Re: Top Rare Mental Disorders by TheSourcerer: 11:36am On Jan 02, 2021
mumumugu:
I used to think I was abnormal
Now I am sure I am.normao
theres no normal. Just majorities

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uniben 2021/2022 Postgraduate Form Master Programme Current Date / Pictures Of New Admitted Maritime Academy Of Nigeria Cadet 2021. / HELP! My Certificate Has A Middle Name, First Name, Surname Format.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.