Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus (39597 Views)

Anthony Joshua: 'I Want Everybody To Bow To Me When I Beat Andy Ruiz' / Jarrell Millner: "After I Beat Anthony Joshua, I Will Take My Mum Out" / Joshua: I Am Under Pressure Ahead Of Wembley Showdown With Alexander Povetkin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by ExAngel007(f): 6:46am On Dec 26, 2020
Anthony Joshua said he thought the #EndSARs protests which rocked Nigeria in October was a fight against a virus Severe acute respiratory syndrome which also has the SARS acronym.

In an exclusive interview with our correspondent, Joshua said because he had never been a victim of police brutality while in Nigeria, he had never heard of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

Joshua joined global stars in supporting the #EndSARS movement after Nigerians had gone to the streets to protest against the activities of SARS whose officers were accused of extrajudicial killings, unlawful detentions, torture, extortion and various forms of abuses.

The boxer said it was after his uncle called his attention to the protests in Nigeria that he had to read more about SARS and Nigeria’s history.

“I never knew what SARS was during my time in Nigeria; I never encountered SARS, so, when the movement started happening, I thought SARS was maybe like a virus, I didn’t know SARS. One day after training, my uncle called me and this was just before the issue of the Lekki toll gate, about five hours before it, he called me and told me about the situation on the ground. He told me the people of Nigeria loved me and wanted to hear my voice on it,” Joshua told Saturday PUNCH.

“I told him I didn’t know enough about it to talk about it and he said I should just lend my voice and bring awareness. So, I said if it’s what I can do for now, let me just lend my voice and bring my attention to it because I have a big platform. So, I just said it’s important to find a common ground because you can’t overthrow the government in a minute, but we need to find a common solution that will benefit the people.

“So I thought it was important for me to send out a positive message and shortly after that, about four hours later, people had been murdered at the toll gate. So, I said this wasn’t only about finding a common ground, this had to stop. But I didn’t want to go back on my message, I had sent a message out and I had done a lot more research about the #EndSARS movement.

“I also started learning about the colonial history, the structure of the political powers, the Hausa, the Yoruba, the Igbo. I learnt about the Biafra war, I learnt about Lady Lugard, I learnt about why Nigeria is called Nigeria – because of the River Niger and the area.

“So, I started doing a lot of research on the country and I found out that the country has so much potential, it is a country where people are thriving to be better and with the leaders, they need to put more into the people, and that is what the #EndSARS is about. It is not just about the police, it is about good government looking after the people, and that is what the people want and I am with the people, I am a man of the people, so I support what they say.

“And from that #EndSARS movement, it educated me what SARS was, it educated me about the issues in Nigeria, it gave me more. I felt proud to be a Nigerian because I learnt more about the country’s heritage after the #EndSARS movement,” he added.

https://punchng.com/i-thought-endsars-protest-was-against-virus-joshua/

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by majamajic(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2020
grin grin grin

How SARS guys wan near u ?

203 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Saao(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2020
No it's not against the virus that 99.9% survive but against something more deadly than the virus that is police brutality even after the #ensars protest, killing continue unabated and those protestors banker accounts were hacked up till date.

106 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by illicit(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2020
shocked
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by saheedbadmus(m): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2020
Guy go sit down for one place jor ... see this one mtcheeew

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by hisgrace090: 6:59am On Dec 26, 2020
Sars the tormentors of Nigerians are the real dangerouse virus.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Mjshexy(f): 7:01am On Dec 26, 2020
Thanks Joshua, we needed the voice to announce to the world the moral decadence and ineptitude as displayed by this government and their nonchalant attitude towards human life & properties sad

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 26, 2020
But SARS is a virus institution.. I’m giving you a logical applause on this.

-Look at their contagious faces below and see if we are lying.

110 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by IKBARUTEN11(m): 7:06am On Dec 26, 2020
God give me too much money as U give A. J. Bt no let d money make me begin reason say boko haram na security outfit 4 naija

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by angelEmade: 7:08am On Dec 26, 2020
chai! well in a sense, he is right

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by WonderManly(m): 7:09am On Dec 26, 2020
I need to understand. Please I need summary!
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Mysticwebb: 7:10am On Dec 26, 2020
Yes it was against the virus in police uniform.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Mraphel: 7:16am On Dec 26, 2020
Nigerians are like SARS in terms of corruption

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by RuddyFusion(m): 7:19am On Dec 26, 2020
Good that in learning about SARS you now know much more about this great nation with so much potential but bn lead by bigots ..... nepotistic animals and vision less amoebas

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Nbotee(m): 7:43am On Dec 26, 2020
Well yes it was. The virus of SARS and Bad Governance

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by kambili999(f): 7:49am On Dec 26, 2020
SARS=virus.

They just don't study them in schools.

4 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by femi4: 7:50am On Dec 26, 2020
WonderManly:
I need to understand. Please I need summary!
I know somebody on this thread will not read it

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by ThreeEyedRaven: 8:01am On Dec 26, 2020
Many youths are oblivious of the country's history and heritage till today

5 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Jostoman: 8:14am On Dec 26, 2020
saheedbadmus:
Guy go sit down for one place jor ... see this one mtcheeew
it pains you that Joshua didn't support your dictator president.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by GeneralPula: 8:15am On Dec 26, 2020
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by BlessedNuel: 8:16am On Dec 26, 2020
His speech dey somehow interesting and confusing at the same time.

E be things sha
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by datola: 8:16am On Dec 26, 2020
Bad governance is a virus

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:16am On Dec 26, 2020
Really Anthony?! shocked

Anyways,
Good and sane Nigerians came out for the protest genuinely before the evil politicians started sponsoring some hoodlums to destroy lives and private properties of innocent Nigerians.

And before an animal called Cownu that jumped bail and sneaked out of Nigeria began telling his brainwashed members to start killing policemen all over the Southern hemisphere of our nation.
(We remembered when he sneaked out, his brainwashed ones were already carrying fake news everywhere that the government has killed him and buried him before he appeared far away in Israel!)

SARS is now disbanded anyways,
And more news for you Oluwafemi,
The most evil and wicked policeman in the history of Nigeria (called James Nwafor) he killed over 100 youths in Anambra (we are sure you haven't heard about this, cos of hypocrisy of some specie of souls, enemies of the nation) he is still being shielded by some unscrupulous politicians as we type, he believes he is hiding from the law, the blood of the innocent is crying for him,
but we assure you, his end is nigh.
He is going to end terribly in life.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by wunmi590(m): 8:16am On Dec 26, 2020
sad
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Pidginwhisper: 8:16am On Dec 26, 2020
Most Oyinbo people thought so too.. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by Emaxwell(m): 8:17am On Dec 26, 2020
This is how a Normal human is to learn about an event grin

But most people at Lekki toll gate did not even read about the structure and how Nigeria was formed poo

And most NL guys here don't know about a Nigeria grin

RIP to the dead 20-10-2020 4ver in our Heart cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by MrBONE2(m): 8:17am On Dec 26, 2020
grin
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by oluwasegun007(m): 8:17am On Dec 26, 2020
You just they learn about Nigeria...I dont blame you bro,

I wish I can unlearn my knowledge about the country.

Waste of memory space.

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by SirJerrie(m): 8:17am On Dec 26, 2020

I thought you were a Nigerian?
Re: Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus by slawormiir: 8:17am On Dec 26, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
I thought this Joshua is a real niggarrr

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles Eat Fufu & Pounded Yam Before Matches - Seun Kuti (Video) / I Was Asked To Pay £5,000 To Play For Nigeria – Sarki Reveals Why He Chose Haiti / Iheanacho To Become Most Expensive Nigerian [Full List Of Top 20]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.