Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans (386 Views)

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by Rickyy34: 12:56pm On Dec 26, 2020
I once met a woman at the DPS and she literally told me her life story. How her son was in the army, got dishonorable discharged, how he couldn’t put his life together and how he finally died a few years ago and it’s just been her and her husband since then.
And for a second, I was like, how does this woman feel so comfortable sharing her entire life story to me a stranger?
Once met another man on a train in the UK and we spent time talking and he told me how his daughter had leukemia. How she had beaten cancer once but now it’s back and it’s been so much on her.
Yesterday again in the elevator, this new couple just moved in. I helped them move a bag into the elevator and we got talking. They started to talk about how they both just got new jobs in Dallas. How they were so excited to be in Texas. They also just moved from California and how they are thinking of settling down and raising a family in Texas.
But in Nigeria, your best friend will be planning her trip abroad and won’t tell you until she lands in Malaysia.
Then she would call you with hidden number and tell you she’s now abroad.
That is if you’re lucky sef. Sometimes na snow picture we Dey use know say people don japa .
But I called you yesterday??
Ehnn, I was at the airport then .

Source: https://www.facebook.com/1003202724/posts/10221484392591554/?app=fbl
Cc
Lalasticlala
Justwise
DisGuy

Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by TruthHurts1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2020
Well, it's a combination of security consciousness and primitive superstition.
Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by budaatum: 1:11pm On Dec 26, 2020
Funny. The Europeans you met never wanted anything from you and did not tell you their life story to elicit money from you and not even sympathy, nor did you jump on their back saying, you can raise their dead soja son if they take you to Dallas with them.

If na Naija, dem go de offer you juju for leukemia or tell you they know this person who will raise your dead soja son or throw sansan into your Texas and Dallas plans, which is why we do not tell you until we arrive in Malaysia make you no go spoil show for person.
Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by Jayson504(m): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2020
True. This is common amongst Nigerians, they often feel telling you about their travel plans will jeopardize and probably jinx their traveling at the end of the day. The fear of village People is real grin
Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by DAramis: 4:01pm On Dec 26, 2020
Jayson504:
True. This is common amongst Nigerians, they often feel telling you about their travel plans will jeopardize and probably jinx their traveling at the end of the day. The fear of village People is real grin

I think most times, it jeopardise and jinx the travel plan like you suggested. I have read stories on nairaland on how people lost opportunity or imaginary problems came out on the last minute.

We can't be wiser than those people who took such decisions. In essence, just do what you feel is the best and let us leave those that did otherwise.

Hope, you chop chicken with rice baa?

1 Like

Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by Fidelismaria: 6:50pm On Dec 26, 2020
Fear of village people is the beginning of wisdom in Nigeria.
Re: Cultural Differences Between Africans And Europeans/Americans by BigDawsNet: 7:37pm On Dec 26, 2020
You only fear when you gather money abd struggle to get money to travel out

If you demn rich

I mean born with a sliver spoon

You not gonna hide anything

I remenber some of my guys in services then

They will be like Dawson after service I'm off to Canada, Australia, States and germany

I was updated till dey leave and land.
Dem no even fear because most of dis nigga see traveling out as going from delta to lagos...

So its all about status....

(1) (Reply)

Flight To Ghana Cost / Those Who Have Done It Before Should Help My Friends. / Nigerian Woman Deported From India For Illegal Stay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.