Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,420 members, 7,812,236 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA (56116 Views)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Abid2020(m): 10:07am On Dec 23, 2023
1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

2. Spelling: The UK follows British English spelling, whereas the US adheres to American English spelling.

3. Driving: In the UK, driving occurs on the left side of the road, whereas in the US, it's on the right.

4. School Uniforms: It's common for students in the UK to wear uniforms, whereas in the US, it's not as prevalent.

5. Tipping: Tipping is expected in many US service industries, while it's less common in the UK.

6. Day Drinking: In the UK, daytime alcohol consumption is more acceptable than in the US, where it's often associated with negative connotations.

7. Gun Laws: The US has relatively lax gun laws compared to the UK, where firearms are heavily regulated.

8. Taxes: The UK has a higher overall tax rate than the US, but the US has a more complex tax system.

9. Public Transportation: Public transport is more widely used and developed in the UK than in the US.

10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

11. Drinking Age: The legal drinking age is 18 in the UK and 21 in the US.

12.Time Zones:The US has multiple time zones, while the UK has only one.

13. Religion: The US is more religiously diverse than the UK.

14. Holidays: The UK celebrates more bank holidays than the US observes federal holidays.

15. Food Portions: Portion sizes tend to be larger in the US than in the UK.

16. Social Class: In the UK, the concept of social class deeply influences people's lives, including their access to education and employment opportunities. In contrast, the US traditionally has a more fluid social class structure, emphasizing individual achievement and meritocracy.

17. Electoral System: The US employs an electoral college, while the UK uses a parliamentary system.

18. Currency: The UK uses the pound sterling, while the US uses the US dollar.

19. Punctuality: Punctuality is highly valued in the UK, while in the US, it's often more relaxed.

20. Politeness: The British are known for their politeness, while Americans are generally seen as more outgoing and friendly.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.

88 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by okikijamal(m): 12:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
I still prefer the US anyday, anytime.

280 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by pansophist(m): 2:44pm On Dec 23, 2023
The US is at least 40 times bigger than the UK in size.

263 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 10:47pm On Dec 23, 2023
UK, I like their English . So sweet and therapeutic to one's hearing.

111 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Unclebayo(m): 10:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
1MILLIONLiGHTS:
UK, I like their English . So sweet and therapeutic to one's hearing.
na English we won chop?

309 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by JAPAHTML: 5:04pm On Dec 24, 2023
California USA cool

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Passionate888: 6:29pm On Dec 25, 2023
undecided
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by easyfem(m): 6:29pm On Dec 25, 2023
Both have positive and negative side but normally, US is everyone dream .... yankeee mi, I will b there bfor this time next year

169 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by BigDawsNet: 6:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
God bless both countries

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Whalis: 6:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
UK and not US use imperial measurements.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Benjaniblinks(m): 6:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
undecided
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by tiswell(m): 6:31pm On Dec 25, 2023
US remains the best option amongst the two

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Offpoint1: 6:31pm On Dec 25, 2023
China is the best

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Starboytwo(m): 6:32pm On Dec 25, 2023
Im a nigga

A black nigga, not some innit nigga.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by GreatOchuks: 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2023
Don't forget, you are more likely to be shot by a kid and sent to meet Dagrin in the US than anywhere else In the World even in Gaza

90 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Crossboy(m): 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2023
cool cool cool
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by kramer: 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Starboytwo:
Im a nigga

A black nigga, not some innit nigga.

We thank God for your life πŸ™„

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Crossboy(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Am a black American cool

4 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by mightyhaze: 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Gods own Country... grin

But I no plan to relocate sha..maybe my kids or any bright kid I'd want to sponsor...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Ashirioluwa: 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
okikijamal:
I still prefer the US anyday, anytime.

That’s matter of choice. Some people prefer Naija because they are making it big time here.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by haybhi1(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
I love everything about America but hate their gun violence.
I dislike UK but I love their accent, OXBRIDGE, legal system.

Wonderful places. God please help me be there.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by rocknation62(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
God bless America

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Seismic0070: 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Just give me visa biko

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Crossboy(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
God bless the United States

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Starboytwo(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
kramer:

We thank God for your life πŸ™„
grin

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Jewessgratitud3: 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
The UK use the word post for letter while the US say mail

The British say flyover, Americans say overpass

The British say Rubber while American say Eraser

BritishπŸ‘‰ exercise book, Americans call it notebook

Americans say sidewalk while British call it pavement.

British say petrol American use Gas

British πŸ‘‰ full stop Americans πŸ‘‰ period

British πŸ‘‰ holiday Americans πŸ‘‰ vacation

British πŸ‘‰ car Boot. Americans πŸ‘‰ car trunk

British> windscreen Americans πŸ‘‰ windshield

These all mean the same thing but if you tell a British man overpass or Eraser he may not immediately understand what you're talking about.

89 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by federalgodey: 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
US all the way!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Lanre1st(m): 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
Both countries are able to excel in their different ideologies,

same cannot be said about Nigeria who has employed both ideologies but results is negative,
May God interfere in Nigeria affairs

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Axis313(m): 6:36pm On Dec 25, 2023
God bless Nigeria with "natural resources",but refused to bless it with "good leaders",while Japan have little or no "natural resources",instead it is "natural disaster" they were plagued with,but He bless them with "good leaders".
All of us can see the results.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by chiefolododo(m): 6:36pm On Dec 25, 2023
I declare the UK the winner

13 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by theophorus(m): 6:37pm On Dec 25, 2023
The Koko na to enter either of the two.

But if na Blank cheque, I go gegely take the US.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lion Spotted Taking A Walk On The Streets In Roma, Italy Last Night (pics/video) / Twitter Japa Advisor Caught Going Against Her Own Advice 2 Years Later / The Dirty Hotel Room I Paid ₦10,000 For A Night - Man Cries Out, Shares Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.