Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Women In Agriculture: We No Longer Go Farming Because Of Kidnappers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Women In Agriculture: We No Longer Go Farming Because Of Kidnappers (205 Views)

Lagos Empowers 190 Youths, Women In Fish Cage Culture / I Have 1million Naira And I Want To Invest In Agriculture / Castor Farming In Nigeria: The Trending Niche In Agriculture That May Make You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Women In Agriculture: We No Longer Go Farming Because Of Kidnappers by Jitefarms: 10:00am On Dec 27, 2020
Safia Yahaya, 48, a mother of two who cultivates three crops in Kogi State, in the seventh episode of the new series, shares her episode with premium times (PT)

PT: Which crops do you cultivate?

Mrs Yahaya: I cultivate rice, cassava, and cashew.

PT: When did you start farming as a business?

Mrs Yahaya: I started farming about 20 years back.

PT: Land is often a major problem for women farmers. How have you overcome this in the last 20 years?

Mrs Yahaya: I started farming in the village where I made use of the family land until I relocated to town where I bought my own land.

PT: What is the size of the land?

Mrs Yahaya: The land is five hectares. Not very big.

PT: Nigerian farmers always find it difficult to get quality seeds. How do you get your seeds and where?

Mrs Yahaya: You are very correct and I am not exempted from these farmers. Sometimes, I get my seed myself, I have to preserve some of the seeds that I have. I get some from the anchor borrowers programme like in the rice aspect where I get rice for planting from the rice farmer association.

PT: How did you select these crop? And why are you not cultivating beans, sorghum and other crops?

Mrs Yahaya: I considered the soil, what grows well on our soil. I chose them because that’s what’s good for our land. If you plant something not good for the land you might not have much yield, so I plant these as they give me much yield. Secondly, for business. I farm to make money and take care of my basic needs.

PT: Have you heard of improved varieties?

Mrs Yahaya: Yes I have, like seeds from ABP are improved.

PT: Five hectares of land is quite large, do you use machines?

Mrs Yahaya: Yes I use machines, but gender-friendly machines like power tillers.

See full Interaction @ https://jitefarms.com

(1) (Reply)

6000 Point Of Lay Birds Ready For Sales / Potassium Nitrate Available For Sell At Sokoto 12000 Per Bag / How To Get Canned White Tuna Fish For Free On Freestuffsng.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.