Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,077 members, 7,957,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:13 AM

Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? (1844 Views)

Vinnitsa National Medical University MBBS For Better Career / 6 Reasons Every Muslim Should Learn Computer Programming / Universities That Offer The 2-year Switch Programme To Mbbs For Bds Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Kingkyle1(m): 9:56am On Dec 29, 2020
Please i am trying to obtain information or advice for a friend of mine with the intention of quitting his medical studies(mbbs) for computer programming.
The said friend is in 300lvl. He's very intelligent and multitalented. So being there might not be backbreaking for him but I want to know if he's making the right decision because of the future. Which one will be better or pay off in the long run? He has passion for the both but he wants to be where he would not only be secured job wise but also make more money. He said his friends that quit earlier or in that path are already balling, especially those in web programming.
I don't know which one holds higher prospects. He's currently 25 . Planning to go to Aptech, then do 2 yrs diploma over here in Nigeria, then go abroad(london) to complete the remaining two years for his BSC. Is he making the right decision? Please your inputs are highly recommended. Thanks

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44

More audience

2 Likes

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:08am On Dec 29, 2020
He is making a mistake.

No ...."that is not correct"

If he can't combine them, then he should make the choice.

Agreed combining will surely lead to "half half completed" syndrome.

Focusing wholely on one will be best, preventing needless expenditure of energy.

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by doggedfighter(f): 10:37am On Dec 29, 2020
He should finish his mbbs first. It doesn't stop him from pursuing his IT interest in the future since he's multi talented.

He can learn programming alongside in his free time.

He shouldn't be carried away by all the IT talks.

He's on the right path already

10 Likes

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Kingkyle1(m): 11:59am On Dec 29, 2020
VeeVeeMyLuv:
He is making a mistake.

No ...."that is not correct"

If he can't combine them, then he should make the choice.

Agreed combining will surely lead to "half half completed" syndrome.

Focusing wholely on one will be best, preventing needless expenditure of energy.

Which one do you incline to based on factors therein in the post
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Karleb(m): 12:15pm On Dec 29, 2020
I can tell you he'll 10 years time, he'll thank his younger self for making such bold decision.

For those telling him to finish first, he's in 300L. It'll take him almost 7 years to finish that program. grin

I would never tell a medicine student to drop out but programming is so promising!

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:16pm On Dec 29, 2020
Kingkyle1:

Which one do you incline to based on factors therein in the post
bros abandoning medicine at MBBS (300L?) is somehow, Infact it is making me cringe over here.

Except he has zero (0) passion/love for the medicine. This medicine is high technically specialized skill. A very few number of the population are physicians. This mbbs he is planning to dump is a highly privileged profession.

Computer programming is very very wide, it is one of those things that should be started at a tender age, except your friend will be coding night and day nonstop to catch up!

He has to also take alot of international certification exams such as C++ to show that he is indeed qualified.

Yes the programming is the future, it is understandable why your friend wants to switch.

Please does he have mentor, career counselor/guide. Jumping from one place to another is not the best.

If it is me I will find a way to combine the two.

4 Likes

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 29, 2020
Kingkyle1:
Please i am trying to obtain information or advice for a friend of mine with the intention of quitting his medical studies(mbbs) for computer programming.
The said friend is in 300lvl. He's very intelligent and multitalented. So being there might not be backbreaking for him but I want to know if he's making the right decision because of the future. Which one will be better or pay off in the long run? He has passion for the both but he wants to be where he would not only be secured job wise but also make more money. He said his friends that quit earlier or in that path are already balling, especially those in web programming.
I don't know which one holds higher prospects. He's currently 25 . Planning to go to Aptech, then do 2 yrs diploma over here in Nigeria, then go abroad(london) to complete the remaining two years for his BSC. Is he making the right decision? Please your inputs are highly recommended. Thanks
My younger brother either is trying to do that, he is studying at Ebonyi state University, he want leave for programming.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by alphaNomega: 12:32pm On Dec 29, 2020
Let him do both! You can be a doctor and still garner excellent IT skills. Your friend is smart enough, he can do it. For now let him focus on passing all his MBBS exams

Godspeed

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by born2begreat(m): 2:47pm On Dec 29, 2020
To me, he is making a nice decision but computer programming need more focus and might never give much room for time for much fun. Technology is taking over the world no doubt and as he is intelligent i believe he is going to do well and be successful. The good part of programming is there will always be another side programming to learn once he has had his feet on ground. I won't advice him to go to any Aptech or give them any unnecessary money he can learn every damn thing he needs to know while in his house with comfort. Firstly, he needs to know what he wants to learn, do research about it, the pay, the future, the certification, certification exam fee etc. Youtube or Udemy can make him a better programmer in whatever the field he chose. He should not look how lucrative or pay the field he is choosing is, but he should be focus on how to be a good programmer. Believe me, he will make it and he needs to start this before starting family so it would be easier for him to learn and acquire knowledge fast. All the best

4 Likes

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Cetacean419: 6:17pm On Dec 29, 2020
As much as I won't advice him abadon medicine, Computer science Diploma in big tech companies is hot cake I swear. I wish I knew I would have done Computer sci instead of Engineering. I don't regret it though since I make a lot of cash from Agriculture. If he does computer science and decides to go into programming he can definitely work with Artificial Intelligence to help human health if he eventually leaves. If he decides to go for Cybersecurity he will rake 10times Medical salary in Nigeria. In the US Docs earn more than computer Scientist. In the UK Docs earn 25% less or even least than US docs. So a computer scientist is Likelier to earn more than Doc in the UK.
I can't do any sort of programming but basic typing,editing,Graphic design and publishing since I am a contract staff for UNICEF I earn 300k plus my Agric which is 5times greater than this monthly.
My younger bro is a Dentistry student and he will eventually leave this sick hole to the UK where Dentist earn more than Medical Doctors.
My brother who was an Obstretician and Gynaecologist in Nigeria is a Physician Assistant-OB/GYN in the US and earning cool cash. If he comes back he will have a big Maternity clinic since he was a Doctor here.
Leaving here to the US or Canada is harder as a Doctor than a Decade ago. Some require new schooling which costs Hundreds of thousands of Dollars or if you are lucky give you one of these speciality
*Pathology
*Family Medicine
*Infectious disease
I am not saying you can't get better than those above but it is a lot difficult.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by DrBrainstorm(m): 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2020
IT anyday anytime

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by remi1444: 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2020
Drlevi. Maybe you can help this guy out.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2020
As a 300L MBBS student wrote his first python code at 15, I can say I can relate to your friend's dilemma

I'll say I have more joy coding than I have reading up origin and insertion and each time I tried to learn to code in the past 3 years, I'd quit in a week to focus on my books.

Med school is draining and gives no time to pour into something as tasking as programming.

Your friend comes off as someone who is chasing the money and good life, and that's a perfect reason to do whatever he chooses, so my advice would be based on that.

On the cash aspect, I'm gonna be plain, programmers are ballers, easily with just one year training they can be earning upwards of 300k.
But there's increase competition as time goes by and at some point in the near future it'll be saturated and simple economics should tell you what happens then. The entry point is low, anybody smart can pick it up. He'll have to compete. Although he's smart, competition can easily make his ability be hidden among the many rubbish and fakers that will be there.

Medicine though, the entry point is very high, not everyone can enter med school let alone come out a doctor. 50 years from now, there will still be a shortage of doctors everywhere in world. During the pandemic, countries were opening embassies begging for doctors that other countries refused to give out. That quality and want isn't gonna fade. Medicine is the surest thing there is.

Also, a 60 years old doctor is literally a god to be worshipped because of his experience.. a 60 years old programmer can't keep up with the latest flavour of JavaScript, new frameworks spring up and die all the time. At some point they settle and become obselete.

Finally, as at March I was preparing for my MB with only a little knowledge of python and Java (I couldn't even build a proper Android app at this time), now, 9 months later, I'm a full stack web developer, and very good in Flutter (4 apps and counting).
In a couple months I'm still gonna write and probably pass my MB.
I'm saying, it's possible to run both together, my coursemate started programming in year 1 and he's a guru now, maintaining okay grades still.
***( I worked as hard as I did with my medical books though, coding all day long... Make I no make am like say programming easy grin)

If he really wants both then he'll have to work a whole lot harder and be average at both, as there's no way anyone can be very good at both.
But if he's after the money and balling, I'll advise he quit and focus on programming, in 6 months of steady learning he should be cashing out. Probably mount a mansion while I'm still doing housemanship grin

Good luck to your friend, wishing him the best in the MB, if he chooses to stay
#Damn, it wasn't suppose to be this long... Lolcheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by ahmedsaniadamu(m): 9:15pm On Dec 29, 2020
following
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by SirWarlock: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2020
DrLevi:
As a 300L MBBS student wrote his first python code at 15, I can say I can relate to your friend's dilemma

I'll say I have more joy coding than I have reading up origin and insertion and each time I tried to learn to code in the past 3 years, I'd quit in a week to focus on my books.

Med school is draining and gives no time to pour into something as tasking as programming.

Your friend comes off as someone who is chasing the money and good life, and that's a perfect reason to do whatever he chooses, so my advice would be based on that.

On the cash aspect, I'm gonna be plain, programmers are ballers, easily with just one year training they can be earning upwards of 300k.
But there's increase competition as time goes by and at some point in the near future it'll be saturated and simple economics should tell you what happens then. The entry point is low, anybody smart can pick it up. He'll have to compete. Although he's smart, competition can easily make his ability be hidden among the many rubbish and fakers that will be there.

Medicine though, the entry point is very high, not everyone can enter med school let alone come out a doctor. 50 years from now, there will still be a shortage of doctors everywhere in world. During the pandemic, countries were opening embassies begging for doctors that other countries refused to give out. That quality and want isn't gonna fade. Medicine is the surest thing there is.

Also, a 60 years old doctor is literally a god to be worshipped because of his experience.. a 60 years old programmer can't keep up with the latest flavour of JavaScript, new frameworks spring up and die all the time. At some point they settle and become obselete.

Finally, as at March I was preparing for my MB with only a little knowledge of python and Java (I couldn't even build a proper Android app at this time), now, 9 months later, I'm a full stack web developer, and very good in Flutter (4 apps and counting).
In a couple months I'm still gonna write and probably pass my MB.
I'm saying, it's possible to run both together, my coursemate started programming in year 1 and he's a guru now, maintaining okay grades still.
***( I worked as hard as I did with my medical books though, coding all day long... Make I no make am like say programming easy grin)

If he really wants both then he'll have to work a whole lot harder and be average at both, as there's no way anyone can be very good at both.
But if he's after the money and balling, I'll advise he quit and focus on programming, in 6 months of steady learning he should be cashing out. Probably mount a mansion while I'm still doing housemanship grin

Good luck to your friend, wishing him the best in the MB, if he chooses to stay
#Damn, it wasn't suppose to be this long... Lolcheesy
wow you've been at this for 5 years. How did you start bro? Self tutor or how? I wish I was dedicated this year with the amount of time we got cry.

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2020
SirWarlock:
wow you've been at this for 5 years. How did you start bro? Self tutor or how? I wish I was dedicated this year with the amount of time we got cry.
Self taught; books(pdfs), YouTube tuts, framework documentations, stack overflow answers.

How I started? Curiosity... I have always loved tech and learning what's behinds it all. Coding is more something I enjoy doing than the money involved.

It's not too late to start if you really want to. it's hard sha and requires a ton of work.

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by flokii: 9:54pm On Dec 29, 2020
Let him stick with mbbs, with the degree, he can choose to practice as MD or delve into other areas.
Computer programming is not something you'll start and be getting jobs, the competition is high.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Ekpekus(m): 10:17pm On Dec 29, 2020
doggedfighter:
He should finish his mbbs first. It doesn't stop him from pursuing his IT interest in the future since he's multi talented.

He can learn programming alongside in his free time.

He shouldn't be carried away by all the IT talks.

He's on the right path already
Follow this advise and thank doggedfighter

2 Likes

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by doggedfighter(f): 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2020
Ekpekus:

Follow this advise and thank doggedfighter

Your signature is so true

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by idu1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 29, 2020
He should not quit.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Hahjascho(m): 2:26am On Dec 30, 2020
Just say you're the one, nobody will beat you.. smiley .. and it's more relatable that way.

However, except you've realised medicine is not your way due to some conditions such as low grades, reluctancy, loss of interest, etc. else, I will advise you finish your MBBS strongly while making any specialized It skill as your hobbies... after everything, you could just pick a major and current IT skill and do a few years course on it.

Most importantly, talk to your self, weigh the pros and the cons...

1 Like

Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by blessedvisky(m): 2:37am On Dec 30, 2020
What a solid thread! Thanks for the quality contributions so far
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Hed0nist: 7:12am On Dec 30, 2020
As far as you guy follows through with his plans leave him alone. There are few things that are worse than being stuck doing what you don't like.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Kingkyle1(m): 7:36am On Dec 30, 2020
Hahjascho:
Just say you're the one, nobody will beat you.. smiley .. and it's more relatable that way.

However, except you've realised medicine is not your way due to some conditions such as low grades, reluctancy, loss of interest, etc. else, I will advise you finish your MBBS strongly while making any specialized It skill as your hobbies... after everything, you could just pick a major and current IT skill and do a few years course on it.

Most importantly, talk to your self, weigh the pros and the cons...

I have been reading all the submissions by concerned fellows. The guy has till 1st January to make his decision known to his family. And coincidentally there are about 2 others who were enchanted by his decision, so coming on here to obtain various advices and ideas won't be bad.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Kingkyle1(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2020
Hed0nist:
As far as you guy follows through with his plans leave him alone. There are few things that are worse than being stuck doing what you don't like.

Thanks to all those who have given quality responses thus far. His family gave him till 1st to give his final response.
Re: Quitting Mbbs For Computer Programming. Way Forward? by Hahjascho(m): 8:11pm On Dec 30, 2020
Kingkyle1:

I have been reading all the submissions by concerned fellows. The guy has till 1st January to make his decision known by his family. And coincidentally there are about 2 others who were enchanted by his decision, so coming on here to obtain various advices and ideas won't be bad.
ok, no problem.

(1) (Reply)

Perfect WAEC Result. Let The Boys Breathe!!! / President Of National Association Of Nigerian Students ( NANS ) impeached / Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.