Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. (42315 Views)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by musicwriter(m): 3:12pm On Apr 17, 2021
samwash:
One tin when shook me pass
You buy cloth for shop, you return ham after 2wks , them still give you change ontop the mata, say the cloth price don reduce since you buy ham.
I wonder if a very honest Nigerian will do that.
They will say God don answer their prayers.
Am not sure if I will do that either.

Of course, you'll do that too if you were born there. If you grew up there, the culture would teach you to grow up doing and behaving like everyone else.

And it's not that we weren't that way in Africa too. In fact, no other culture could be more sane than African cultures but what happened is that Europeans and Arabs interfered with our reality during slavery and colonialism. Those good norms are created with your own LANGUAGE, EDUCATION, RELIGION which evolved with, of, by your ancestors millions of years ago, creating unique ways of doing things for their and your own good. But once a foreigner interfers with yours, you'll end up disoriented. This's why those of us who've checked the histories are kind of angry with Europeans and Arabs, not because we hate them but because we've realized how much they destroyed us.

What they call culture shock is what I have discovered is actually a philosophy mismatch. There's nothing wrong with the way the white people and Arabs behave or view the world as long as they keep it to themselves, neither was anything wrong with the way we Africans behaved or viewed the world before our unfortunate contact with them. Foreigners interfered with our truth, forcing us to adopt an alien perception reality to our detriment. That's why we're in this state of cultural, mental, intellectual, spiritual maladjustment.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by samwash(m): 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
musicwriter:

Of course, you'll do that too if you were born there. If you grew up there, the culture would teach you to grow up doing and behaving like everyone else.

And it's not that we weren't that way in Africa too. In fact, no other culture could be more sane than African cultures but what happened is that Europeans and Arabs interfered with our reality during slavery and colonialism. Those good norms are created with your own LANGUAGE, EDUCATION, RELIGION which evolved with, of, by your ancestors millions of years ago, creating unique ways of doing things for their and your own good. But once a foreigner interfers with yours, you'll end up disoriented. This's why those of us who've checked the histories are kind of angry with Europeans and Arabs, not because we hate them but because we've realized how much they destroyed us.

What they call culture shock is what I have discovered is actually a philosophy mismatch. There's nothing wrong with the way the white people and Arabs behave or view the world as long as they keep it to themselves, neither was anything wrong with the way we Africans behaved or viewed the world before our unfortunate contact with them. Foreigners interfered with our truth, forcing us to adopt an alien perception reality to our detriment. That's why we're in this state of cultural, mental, intellectual, spiritual maladjustment.

I get ur views. That's why I always tell pple if I were to be born in Asia or in the Arabs world, I would be a Muslim 1st or developed an Arabian culture before any other thing else.
Our immediate environment plays a more determinate force on us, it's our Heritage.
Like the saying "when you are in Rome, you behave like a Roman"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by writeprof(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2021
musicwriter:

Thank you OP for this clarification. There was a time when people leave their wares in the public and go home without fear. If a customer comes, he sees the amount put close with stones then he pays in cowries which he leaves in the place of the goods e.g yam. Achebe THINGS FALL APART captures some beauty of the African ways of life.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by shilz(f): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2021
wristbangle:
If you dare ask a white person this question, "How was your night"? You will ever regret asking that question. Those who can relate will understand cheesy
where did we learn this from?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by IvarDboneless: 4:20pm On Apr 17, 2021
luckingto50:

Even if you pay and you never still comot from d shop Ipob man will never give u your money again. He will rather tell you to add money to take another one
What is wrong with you...why are you so stup*d. Are you guys paid agent or what, trying to bring tribalism into every single thread you comment on here.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by seunny4lif(m): 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2021
Same happen to me
Last semester exam and I don’t submit
My prof wrote me straight up to know maybe I was sick or why don’t I write the exam.
I lied that my laptop got damaged and I have no other way.
Well, I got better time to rewrite the exam.
I got free Dell Latitude 5490 36GB ram and 250GB from my school and €800 has transportation fee grin
Rocktation:
I had hit submit, without answering question nine in one of my exams. Partly, because I was pressed for time, but mostly because I wasn't confident of a-how to approach it. Got home, took a bath, ate, flexed as per thank God I'm done with exams, slept and woke up the next morning to my prof's email, asking why I did not attempt question nine and to do so and resubmit, within 30minutes of receiving the mail.

Na dia my mouth hang. shocked

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by musicwriter(m): 4:35pm On Apr 17, 2021
writeprof:

Thank you OP for this clarification. There was a time when people leave their wares in the public and go home without fear. If a customer comes, he sees the amount put close with stones then he pays in cowries which he leaves in the place of the goods e.g yam. Achebe THINGS FALL APART captures some beauty of the African ways of life.

Thank you.

I personally grew up in the village, so I could be said to have tasted something close to an organic African society.

Yes, when we were kids growing up in the 80's, your mother could send you on an errand and when you get there you may not see the seller. But you'll see the wares and money on top of it. If its note, you'll see a small stone used to keep the money in place against breeze. All you'll do is take the item you want and keep your money together with the rest of the money. The owner would go and come back and nothing would be missing. But that was not even too common.

The commonest one was that people went to farm or market and closed the door without key!!. Most of the doors were made of palm branches and had no key place at all. Yet, the owner of the house would go and come back at night and nothing would be missing in the house. Once upon a time here in Nigeria!!

I lived it myself so I don't need any white bourgeoisie Anthropologist to tell me we Africans are the best people ever. But we've been destroyed. Very unfortunate.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by samonak(m): 5:18pm On Apr 17, 2021
drlateef:
Calling them Professor this, Dr that, engineer this, it makes them freak out. They think you are trying to “bribe” them. It puts them off completely. Better stick to their first name, even if he is old enough to be your dad. It took me sometime to adjust to that. And I was looked on with suspicion until I adapted to it.

Many of our boys have entered trouble with their girls who flirt with them. Our men are too quick to misread their signals. And they got their fingers burnt big time. Some of them spent time in prison for sexual harassment.

Another thing is looking down instead of looking straight in their face during conversation. If you look down in U.K., you are timid. In Dubai, looking straight in the eyes of a woman brings you trouble.

You dare not help a fallen old woman on the street, you might be in trouble. Call the ambulance and leave her, don’t help her to stand.

Never you walk on the same side of the street while a woman is coming directly at you. She will feel threatened unless it’s a busy street. Choose to cross to the other side especially at night.

Yes, we have used a blender for 1 year and returned to John Lewis. They replaced it even though nothing wrong with it.

I remember as a 100L student at UNN back in 2001, I filled my course registration form and wrote my course adviser's name " Mr Phil - Eze" without adding the prefix "Dr" (didn't know he was a Dr). I took it to him for signing, omo, the guy walked me out of his office because of the oversight. He said it's people like me that join cult and harass Lecturers.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by bigfather(m): 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2021
Went to a store and I asked the attendant that I wanted to buy ANTIBIOTICS and d guy was like " where is your Doctor's prescription " i just stand there looking confused. grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by drlateef: 5:44pm On Apr 17, 2021
samonak:

I remember as a 100L student at UNN back in 2001, I filled my course registration form and wrote my course adviser's name " Mr Phil - Eze" without adding the prefix "Dr" (didn't know he was a Dr). I took it to him for signing, omo, the guy walked me out of his office because of the oversight. He said it's people like me that join cult and harass Lecturers.

That’s what’s killing us in Nigeria. Our culture of hero worship is making the powerful to oppress the less privilege. Cleaners will address professors as “mate” in U.K. When our politicians come visiting abroad, they are nonentities on the streets. But when they come home in Nigeria they are worshipped by the poor like gods. I am sure they prefer to stay in Nigeria where they are worshipped as compared to U.K. where nobody reckons with them on the streets.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Rocktation(f): 6:17pm On Apr 17, 2021
seunny4lif:
Same happen to me
Last semester exam and I don’t submit
My prof wrote me straight up to know maybe I was sick or why don’t I write the exam.
I lied that my laptop got damaged and I have no other way.
Well, I got better time to rewrite the exam.
I got free Dell Latitude 5490 36GB ram and 250GB from my school and €800 has transportation fee grin

Upon arrival, I got a preowned MacBook Pro at only 350USD from a grad student, who advertised on facebook. We exchanged phone numbers, met and had the transaction. So no receipts or nothing like that. Then I met my supervisor, who told me that he's responsible for providing me with a laptop! I almost cried when he said it. But the sweetest thing happened. I told him that I'd just gotten one by myself and he asked to reimburse me, provided I send the receipts to the lady's office, who's in charge of grants. Of course I didnt have the receipts, but met the lady anyway and offered to forward the Facebook chats about the meeting and transaction. And voila, I got fully reimbursed. Dude even said it was way cheaper than he ever envisaged.

For transportation, as contained in my contract, my access to all transit school bus routes, were unlimited and prepaid.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by OdogwuAnambra: 6:26pm On Apr 17, 2021
sinkhole:
But why must we ditch our culture just because we are outside of our country, Chinese, Japanese, etc bow when they greet, Indians and co put their hands together to greet and everybody all over the world know this!
Indians and some Arabs wear turbans and it is not a shock for them to wear it outside of their country!
Why is it that our ways of greeting is an embarrassement to us outside of our land? I can understand the embarrassement in the use of SIR and MA during greetings because it is not our culture, we borrowed and over use it.
If I bow down to greet a foreign elder and the person is embarrassed, I will rather sit the person down and teach him or her my culture.
If any young person travel abroad and come back to start calling me by my first name. Hmmm hen, they way I will flog or talk to the young person, surely he or she will be culture-shocked second time!

It's Yoruba culture...Igbo don't now when greeting they will just shake you and move on

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Usorohtheman(m): 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2021
FrankAkowe:
It is shocking that what shocks an average European does not shock a Nigerian.

Please, what shocks an average European?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Ladycewhy(f): 6:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
Had to laugh at that drugs part. lol.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by DedeNkem: 6:42pm On Apr 17, 2021
- I visited a club in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I went to the bar and ordered for a drink by yelling (as we do sometimes in Nigeria). The barman ignored me. I yelled again.

After serving every other person at the bar, he came to me and scolded the hell out of me. When he realized I was new, he advised I should always talk calmly and add "please" whenever I need someone to do something for me, even if I'm paying for product or service.

- Another time, I went to buy coca-cola, I told the lady at the bar to give me coke. She looked at me surprisingly and at others at the bar, I realized my mistake and clarified I meant Coca-cola. She then breathe a sigh of relief.

- Another one, I went to a restaurant that offered buffet for a fixed price. I didn't know what it was before. In my mind I said these guys are stupid to offer this. I started eating like crazy and became full in a short time. There was a lot of food remaining (I thought I would finish it).

- Another one, a friend who was doing christening of his child invited me. I wore a traditional Igbo attire. As I was at the Metro Station waiting for the next Metro, a dutch policeman saw me and was heading towards me.

At the time I was "illegal". As he was approaching, I was busy negotiating my exit options with my eyes. As I was about to pick race with a considerable amount of my agbada in my hands, he tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I came from Nigeria (with a bright smile on his face).

That smile alone made me to instantly halt my takeoff. I told him, "yeah" (not sure what next). He said he visited Nigeria for work with his colleagues recently and he really enjoyed Lagos. This made me relax. We talked about Nigeria for a moment, shook hands and waved goodbye!

- Another one, I took a dutch girl out for a date and she wanted to pay for everything. I reminded her that I was the one who took her out, not the other way round, so I should pay but she insisted and told me she had paid already. I was shocked. A typical Nigerian girl would want to empty your pocket.

- Another one, in my early period in the Netherlands, my then dutch girlfriend whispered in my ear and advised me to say "ik hou van jouw kutje" to her. I asked her what it meant, she said, "I love you so much".

I yelled it to her and was shocked later to realize it actually meant, "I love your pussy". Oh boy, I said this in a crowded place and I couldn't see a hole to jump in and hide. You don't wanna imagine the looks on people's faces. Anyway, some laughed.

- Another one, I met a cougar-looking woman in a bar, 'toasted' her and she declared I wanted her because of paper (Resident Permit). Honestly, what she said was actually true because that was the period I was desperate for paper. But the problem was that she yelled it and many people heard it in the bar. I paid for my drink immediately and left in shame.

- Another one. A dutch friend took me to a special nightclub onboard a stationary boat in another city (Zaandijk). The club is called Showboat.

As we entered, we were taken to a locker room to change into towels. I asked my friend, "why are we required to remove our clothes (I really dressed sharp that night)?, he said, "it's the rules here". I told him he should have warned me about this.

Then after we wore our towels (they issue brand new towels), we were shown the door to the bar. To my shock and surprise, I saw some people at the bar drinking and chatting, while others were f*ucking (yes, real sex) at different locations in the bar hall except at the bar area (only for meeting and drinking, not allowed for sex).

I told my friend immediately, "it seems we're in the wrong club, this place is a fucking brothel" (yelling). Most people at the bar looked at me as if I was a mumu alien who just mistakenly arrived there from Mars.

My friend told we were in the right place. That he brought me there as a gift for my birthday (honestly, I forgot) and all expenses was on him. And also said, "In case, you want to f*uck, you should approach any woman you want, it is free". He further explained, "all the women in the club aren't prostitutes, they only came to f*uck. Some even came with their boyfriends or husbands who love to watch their partners get f*ucked". You don't wanna imagine how shocked I was!

There were different levels of privacy in the club to have sex. You choose whichever room you want or open public space. There are many buckets of free condoms at every corner and there are cleaners standby, who clean up any used place and replace bed sheets or cushion covers. In fact, that place was and still is the cleanest club ever!!

For you pervs who want to know if I did something.... The answer is, No I didn't. I was overwhelmed. I spent the rest of the night with my guy at the bar drinking heavily and watching nearby f*uckings. Few times we walked around to see actions at other areas in the cub. Few women came to me (to try a black d*ick) but I politely refused. Women can refuse you too and no forcing or harassment is allowed.

Oh boy! Netherlands is probably the real biblical Sodom & Gomorrah.

These are the ones I remember now. There are others. I will update this post if I remember more.
Last updated: Tue. May 4

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by seunny4lif(m): 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2021
Yet some people willing be saying staying in Nigeria grin
I don tell me friends any day, they repeat word for my here, I go block them angry
Rocktation:

Upon arrival, I got a preowned MacBook Pro at only 350USD from a grad student, who advertised on facebook. We exchanged phone numbers, met and had the transaction. So no receipts or nothing like that. Then I met my supervisor, who told me that he's responsible for providing me with a laptop! I almost cried when he said it. But the sweetest thing happened. I told him that I'd just gotten one by myself and he asked to reimburse me, provided I send the receipts to the lady's office, who's in charge of grants. Of course I didnt have the receipts, but met the lady anyway and offered to forward the Facebook chats about the meeting and transaction. And voila, I got fully reimbursed. Dude even said it was way cheaper than he ever envisaged.

For transportation, as contained in my contract, my access to all transit school bus routes, were unlimited and prepaid.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by seunny4lif(m): 7:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
grin
You need the GP prescription oooh �
bigfather:
Went to a store and I asked the attendant that I wanted to buy ANTIBIOTICS and d guy was like " where is your Doctor's prescription " i just stand there looking confused. grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by GloShare(m): 7:08pm On Apr 17, 2021
wristbangle:
If you dare ask a white person this question, "How was your night"? You will ever regret asking that question. Those who can relate will understand cheesy

Hearsay...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Rocktation(f): 7:51pm On Apr 17, 2021
seunny4lif:
Yet some people willing be saying staying in Nigeria grin
I don tell me friends any day, they repeat word for my here, I go block them angry

Don't mind them. Na bad belle. My own is that if you want to stay, na you know..but don't be having an opinion on top other people matter.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Vietnaminfo(m): 7:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
samonak:

You must have graduated from Geography Department? He is now a Prof and no more a Dr.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by seunny4lif(m): 8:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Gbam
Rocktation:

Don't mind them. Na bad belle. My own is that if you want to stay, na you know..but don't be having an opinion on top other people matter.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by gowonmaharajah(m): 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2021
merits:

You will adjust na.
Mine own experience;I always called everyone Oga and says sir whenever anyone called my name.
At the end I was nicknamed Oga sir.
oga sir.wish you could see how I buzzed out with laughter.oga misur

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by OyinO: 9:21pm On Apr 17, 2021
The culture over there also have many negative sides. Here in Naija, you buy stuff in the village and they put jara or muni (extra) for patronising. Doesn't happen there. Also, in UK, much taxes for parking your car and for shopping.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by swift25(m): 9:31pm On Apr 17, 2021
musicwriter:

Thank you.

I personally grew up in the village, so I could be said to have tasted something close to an organic African society.

Yes, when we were kids growing up in the 80's, your mother could send you on an errand and when you get there you may not see the seller. But you'll see the wares and money on top of it. If its note, you'll see a small stone used to keep the money in place against breeze. All you'll do is take the item you want and keep your money together with the rest of the money. The owner would go and come back and nothing would be missing. But that was not even too common.

The commonest one was that people went to farm or market and closed the door without key!!. Most of the doors were made of palm branches and had no key place at all. Yet, the owner of the house would go and come back at night and nothing would be missing in the house. Once upon a time here in Nigeria!!

I lived it myself so I don't need any white bourgeoisie Anthropologist to tell me we Africans are the best people ever. But we've been destroyed. Very unfortunate.

i don’t believe. You mean there was no crime

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 9:44pm On Apr 17, 2021
tunjijones:
I was in Canada to do my post graduate that year. One Nigeria guy i just met invited me for a party. The guy had too much to drink and he was really misbehaving. He eventually fell on the floor o. Before i knw one girl don call paramedics. It was not upto 2 mins ambulance don land. Them carry am go hospital. I was in total shock... So paramedics dey treat drunk pple too. And i was suprised at the speed them carry respond.

Eh shock u?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by musicwriter(m): 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2021
swift25:
i don’t believe. You mean there was no crime

What we had was an almost crime free society because people who committed crime were banished from the land, never to be seen again in the community. And that would explain why we had no prison system either. Just think about that.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 9:46pm On Apr 17, 2021
Saltybear:
Mine was first week I was entering the lift to go up to my.brithers apartment and I saw my neighbors kid who just bumped into my way and walked past I pulled h back and asked can't you greet?

Well the police officer understood it was my first time there grin

My belly oh!... ur matter funny die

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2021
drlateef:
Calling them Professor this, Dr that, engineer this, it makes them freak out. They think you are trying to “bribe” them. It puts them off completely. Better stick to their first name, even if he is old enough to be your dad. It took me sometime to adjust to that. And I was looked on with suspicion until I adapted to it.

Many of our boys have entered trouble with their girls who flirt with them. Our men are too quick to misread their signals. And they got their fingers burnt big time. Some of them spent time in prison for sexual harassment.

Another thing is looking down instead of looking straight in their face during conversation. If you look down in U.K., you are timid. In Dubai, looking straight in the eyes of a woman brings you trouble.

You dare not help a fallen old woman on the street, you might be in trouble. Call the ambulance and leave her, don’t help her to stand.

Never you walk on the same side of the street while a woman is coming directly at you. She will feel threatened unless it’s a busy street. Choose to cross to the other side especially at night.

Yes, we have used a blender for 1 year and returned to John Lewis. They replaced it even though nothing wrong with it.

awesome... please come and pick me also
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 9:51pm On Apr 17, 2021
wristbangle:

yeah.... instead ask them, How was ur sleep?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Funkybabee(f): 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2021
funny
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Ilamina(f): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2021
Good things happen in nigeria

My uncle in calabar obudu cattle ranch
Went to drink late at night at the restaurant
50,000 naira fell from his pocket while In the restaurant

One of the workers
Returned the money for him when he was at the hotel room

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by ndindiatu: 10:47pm On Apr 17, 2021
First month I came to yankee I still think say na naiga i dey . I still dey iron dress and keep in case Nepa take light. It took me few weeks to adjust

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dispatch Rider Killed By BRT Bus In Ojuelegba, Lagos (Graphic Photos) / Which Country Would You Rather Live Apart From Nigeria? / Ebonyi International Airport Runway In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.