Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,588 members, 7,823,551 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate (29979 Views)

Man Pays ₦217M For A RR1 Number Plate, The Price Of 20 Brand New Toyota Camry / Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Lagos State License Number Plate Codes & What They Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by princeadex4us(m): 6:45am On Dec 31, 2020
29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.[
According to the MVAA GM, the situation became worrisome and embarrassing to the State government and its clients when incessant reports, calls, SMS, e-mails and visits from licensees became rampant that vehicles duly registered with Lagos State number plates were being impounded by FRSC and other security officials.

Lagos State says that the general public, particularly car owners, FRSC and security agencies can visit the MVAA’s website at www.lsmvaapvs.org to verify the authenticity of number plates issued by the MVAA.

According to Lawal, “the site is easy to navigate, once logged in, type in the number plate and wait for the confirmation of the details of the vehicle.”

According to Lagos, MVAA was created to provide and maintain a robust motor Vehicle Administration Database and enduring private/public sector participation towards ensuring improved revenue generation and collection.

“It is structured to realise the huge potentials of modernised vehicle licensing and registration machinery for the attainment of socio-economic development and the security of life and property”, Lagos said.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by princeadex4us(m): 6:46am On Dec 31, 2020
princeadex4us provide me with your plate number post=97574136]29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.[
According to the MVAA GM, the situation became worrisome and embarrassing to the State government and its clients when incessant reports, calls, SMS, e-mails and visits from licensees became rampant that vehicles duly registered with Lagos State number plates were being impounded by FRSC and other security officials.

Lagos State says that the general public, particularly car owners, FRSC and security agencies can visit the MVAA’s website at www.lsmvaapvs.org to verify the authenticity of number plates issued by the MVAA.

According to Lawal, “the site is easy to navigate, once logged in, type in the number plate and wait for the confirmation of the details of the vehicle.”

According to Lagos, MVAA was created to provide and maintain a robust motor Vehicle Administration Database and enduring private/public sector participation towards ensuring improved revenue generation and collection.

“It is structured to realise the huge potentials of modernised vehicle licensing and registration machinery for the attainment of socio-economic development and the security of life and property”, Lagos said.[/quote]
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 6:47am On Dec 31, 2020
You obviously refused driving your car to the station saying over your dead body, that car will never get to that station which is why you activated the car security system and handed the keys to them. the police however proved you wrong. We are Nigerians and we know our system, you could have saved yourself cost, energy, time etc at the scene but you choosed to get into a looooong heated altercation and that is the result. who knows whether you didn't even slap one of the policemen, because you won't tell us that one. this is what so many people here won't tell you but it's the bitter truth, they will keep consoling you, saying the policemen will be brought to book. hahaha that book for don full since!
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Freighthost: 6:48am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Please gurus should respond.

Bros
Sorry for the wickedness leveled on u

D plate number is not fake

Some plate are not updated in the data base which is norms in Nigeria and dos set of foolish tif police know about it

They jus check everyone until they get scapegoat

Pls i prefer u share the police officers details and names and police station and number on there dirty uniform
Dey didnt wear it

U can imagine

Jus get details and show pictures and make this go viral here and fb and also forward to NPF

They ve extorted and rob you

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Derring: 6:50am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
You obviously refused driving your car to the station saying over your dead body, that car will never get to that station which is why you activated the car security system and handed the keys to them. the police however proved you wrong. We are Nigerians and we know our system, you could have saved yourself cost, energy, time etc at the scene but you choosed to get into a looooong heated altercation and that is the result. who knows whether you didn't even slap one of the policemen, because you won't tell us that one. this is what so many people here won't tell you but it's the bitter truth, they will keep consoling you, saying the policemen will be brought to book. hahaha that book for don full since!
What rubbish are you saying mister man?

28 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by heykims(m): 6:51am On Dec 31, 2020
UDUJ:

Bro I don't know you but I think you are too soft. It's this docility of the average Nigerian that makes these animals in black uniform to behave like demigods.

Tag segalink on twitter, tag the crazy lady Madam Kemi, tag the Nigerian Police Force official handle.

Then if it was me I will take it further and get lawyers involved and make sure that DPO is dismissed or demoted. Let them know that just as they are mad, we are mad as well.
Abeg leave that guy, it annoys him whenever I see him comment about going a step at a time. He's a mumu. The police should beat his ass off when next they meet him.

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ecclize: 6:53am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
https://twitter.com/JP_Lyte/status/1344260225801531393?s=19

That's the Twitter link please guys share it.
Police been making life hard in country that is already hard on citizens.
i just retweet ur tweet i hope u get justice.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by HIV1: 6:53am On Dec 31, 2020
Nigeria is a jungle. The wife of policemen will not read this now, when touts now start killing their husbands, that is when they will go on NTA; shouting Nigerians are weekend.

20 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by judgementyard(m): 6:53am On Dec 31, 2020
I feel your piano bro
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by yommen: 6:54am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

I like exhausting all peaceful options before hitting hard. That is part of my options.

You were locked in a place compared to a dirty toilet for 6 good hours without committing any crime yet you want to exhaust peaceful options. May be you should just peacefully return to Lagos and dash them your car. That's a very peaceful end of the story I guess.

12 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Wartsnigeria: 6:55am On Dec 31, 2020
There's more to this story, let's even assume your number is fake, the highest they would do is to impound your vehicle until you prove that the license plates are original or give them money which is what they are rally after, stripping you and locking you up is so not normal, we all know they are mad but not to this extent. Police also would not two your vehicle when they Caan force you to drive it to their station, you probably skipped some part of the stroy.

3 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by iykenex(m): 6:58am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Please gurus should respond.

I know the exact person that did that thing to you in Aba, he is a member of formal SARS, He did the same to me at Okigwe road round about, when he discovered that my car was bought as Nigerian used from Lagos and with Lagos plate number. Then I followed the registration of the car online both on FRSC web and autoreg, before I collected the car particulars they showed on their web. Sometimes those that register vehicle don't complete the registration unknown to them but once it's completed, it will show on their web. But for that Police officer, his is a thief, even when my car showed on FRSC web and my particulars are complete, he was asking me something that I don't know about. The guy that did that thing with his Techno phone doesn't were police uniform, then he was working as SARS.

12 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Snowx: 6:58am On Dec 31, 2020
NPF can never repent

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Jagznation(m): 6:59am On Dec 31, 2020
its police tactics they know you won't want to shout happy new year inside the cell and that your family will quickly part with some cash to make you a free man grin
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by sirleke(m): 7:03am On Dec 31, 2020
Wartsnigeria:
There's more to this story, let's even assume your number is fake, the highest they would do is to impound your vehicle until you prove that the license plates are original or give them money which is what they are rally after, stripping you and locking you up is so not normal, we all know they are mad but not to this extent. Police also would not two your vehicle when they Caan force you to drive it to their station, you probably skipped some part of the stroy.
more reason he's trying to exhaust all peaceful options
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by leisuretym: 7:05am On Dec 31, 2020
The police took advantage of Lagos state inability to upload the recent batch into FRSC portal to rob And esort you

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Spidermon: 7:06am On Dec 31, 2020
Pls pursue this case to a conclusion.
These men in uniform are just animals.
Sorry you had to experience all that.

4 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by drololaaof: 7:06am On Dec 31, 2020
Verify the genuity of your plate number before the fight and disturbing this forum .I pray you did not enter one chance oluwole scammers
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by muymacho: 7:07am On Dec 31, 2020
HarunaWest:
When eventually you secure your vehicle, jejely tag NPF and Segalink on twitter... Make this same complaint..Action will be taken.
Why not before it is released.

I believe you can also report to force HQ in the state. It may scare them to release it
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by tinktanker: 7:08am On Dec 31, 2020
Thieves. When it become their jobs to check plate numbers
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nedekid: 7:08am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

I gave them the money in cash but have them admit receiving it in a recorded audio. That will be my evidence.
Correct.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by jaxxy(m): 7:09am On Dec 31, 2020
Reference:

Failed 'endSARS' protest. It was supposed to be a war to end all wars. In 'saner climes' recalcitrant establishments donot come back from that without becoming 'born again'.

If the protests failed then it’s because we didn’t articulate our demands well enough or give proper representation to direct discussion with proper opened channels bt instead focus more on emotions tantrums which can only lead to either mischievous elements hyjacking the protests or losing ur negotiating power.

The protest was not strategic enough even tho it was impact bt directionless in leadership.

How can u be demanding against police brutality, good governance and change in power at thesame time?? In a democracy? That is very foolish and stupid.

The change of power was unnecessary at the time if at all that shud be a separate protest. It’s timing was suspicious and suspect and will make achieving other demands harder unless u want total chaos.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by replete(m): 7:10am On Dec 31, 2020
DelTel:
So sad about the experience. You didn't commit any offence to be detained and locked up!

For those eager and desirous to know the link to check the plate numbers, here it is: https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

what does it mean when your vehicle color on the verification page says custom and not the actual colour?
cc: pattybf

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ShenTeh(m): 7:11am On Dec 31, 2020
Very sad.

All of us blaming the op for being too gentle would have also been the first to blame him for lossing his life arguing with our trigger-happy policemen instead of playing along and later come out to fight.

There are no hard and fast rules in dealing with security agencies in Nigeria. You fight, you withdraw, you shout you smile, you joke you cry, you loss your time or and your money by force or willingly, etc. Whatever happens just ensure you don't loss your life, else fellow downtrodden citizens will blame you.

We need to get the leaders of those given the instruments of coersion to explain how they turn these instruments of protection to those of extortion.

It is sad. This is only one amongst a thousand other extortionist endeavours of our security agencies.

#EndPoliceBrutalityInNigeria

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by adedehinbo(m): 7:11am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
if you be part of those useless police,your own go soon be

16 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by IbnBattuta1960: 7:12am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

They collected another twenty one thousand naira to release the vehicle today. In total, fifty one thousand five hundred naira was extorted from us. I need justice...
You said peaceful whatever.... so, why are you complaining?

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by muymacho: 7:14am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:

Since you know something and you are a policeman, can you clarify police business with checking validity of plate number and driving to station instead of handing the car over to VIO?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by suzzyrims: 7:15am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
https://twitter.com/JP_Lyte/status/1344260225801531393?s=19

That's the Twitter link please guys share it.

Guys please retweet this and tag relevant authorities on twitter. Let us make this go viral. Justice needs to be served.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by MedicH: 7:15am On Dec 31, 2020
JAYUK:
You are taking being extorted with kids glove over nothing,well you among those making NPF rich in Aba,you are not acting like Nwaba, they saw you were docile and capitalised on it to finish you,you were detained and your vehicle detained,you are lucky every one in the vehicle were not detained.
How on earth, your dad wouldn't have given them a dime, your dad would have escalated immediately to the appropriate quarters,bring in a lawyer with petition,you will see how you will be asked to carry your wahala and go.
Sorry shaa for the hard time, life in Aba is quite frustrating.
Having parted with money twice means there are other things we do not know.

See how this one is running his mouth as if your life exceeds one bullet close enough to cause heavy bleeding. Mr docility, wisdom is profitable to direct. All the men that towed your path u know where they are now, dead. One bullet and it's game over.

3 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Emmanuel909090: 7:16am On Dec 31, 2020
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by xperiencelove(m): 7:16am On Dec 31, 2020
OP, can I escalate it? I can PM FRSC. Should I go on? Also I will need your number plate cos it will be required.

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by leisuretym: 7:19am On Dec 31, 2020
jaxxy:

If the protests failed then it’s because we didn’t articulate our demands well enough or give proper representation to direct discussion with proper opened channels bt instead focus more on emotions tantrums which can only lead to either mischievous elements hyjacking the protests or losing ur negotiating power.

The protest was not strategic enough even tho it was impact bt directionless in leadership.

How can u be demanding against police brutality, good governance and change in power at thesame time?? In a democracy? That is very foolish and stupid.

The change of power was unnecessary at the time if at all that shud be a separate protest. It’s timing was suspicious and suspect and will make achieving other demands harder unless u want total chaos.

The police do not do this in the north, the government should better implement all endsars demands now or else the next one would consume them and all those looters

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2020 Nissan Juke Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / Photos Of The Outstanding 2020 Nissan Armada / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.