Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 (2482 Views)

Is Mercedes E200 1996 A Good Car / 2001 W210 E320 Mercedes Benz Vs 2005 Camry.. Comparison / Between 2001 W210 E320 And W203 C320 Help Choose!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2020
Basic information about my car
It's a Mercedes-Benz W210 E200 from 1998. This is the pre-facelift version which comes with the 5-Speed ​​722.6 Auto Transmission. I bought this car for around RM 10K.

Reasons why I bought this car

The main purpose is just to fulfill my childhood dream of driving a W210 around. While I was growing up in the 90's, the W210 and E39 were the cars which the 'well to do' people were commuting around. I come from a very humble background, which means I could only admire those cars from afar. Now that I could afford to get myself behind the wheels of the newer Mercedes and Beemers, I decided to go for a W210 instead just to satisfy my childhood fantasy.

Car Selection Process
I had a budget of RM15,000

Model (s) that I have considered include: W124 Masterpiece, W210 E200, W210 E200K, W210 E240 V6

Reasons why I chose this car:

This car had a single owner before I took over and the car has been kept well with very minimal wear and tear defects in the interior. The paint job has faded over the years but it has this very classic look that I simply adore. E200's are highly sort after models relative to the higher displacement variants due to the lower maintenance costs and you'd not be surprised with the price of the replacement parts. Of course, the road tax is quite low compared to the other siblings too! Well, the E240 and E280 drive extremely well with the power punching motors but for a car of this age I think cruising along the highways and country roads would do justice so the E200 fits the bill perfectly.

User Experience
I have already done 5,000 km

Since the purchase, my thoughts about the car are:

This is a 22 years old car and it surprises me in many ways especially with the driving comfort and versatility. Prior to owning this car, I have only driven the W210 once and that's back in 2009. If my memory serves me right, I felt the same sensation after a good 11 years. Well, I did not expect to own a flawless car so my thoughts have not meddled with utter disappointment. I have spent close to RM 5k now in getting the car to run the way I like. The upkeep has been purely voluntary as no parts have broken down thus far. The suspension system has been completely rebuilt including the refurbishment of the dampers which costs me around RM1600. All the bushings have been replaced as well and I have to admit that the whole process's outcome did not disappoint me. The crucial part is sourcing for the right mechanic who diagnoses the problems well and offers solutions confidently. You have to be mindful that the E200 is a relatively modern vehicle and the diagnostics are carried out via an OBD system. Of course, the OBD does not diagnose any mechanical problems which require the intervention of the mechanics' knowledge of Stuttgart's mechanism.

Pros & Cons
Pros

Looks good and not dated.

Comfortable ride.

The extremely spacious cabin and luggage space.

Parts availability.

Reliable.

Cabin NVH is excellent.

It's a Mercedes-Benz!

Cons

Brittle interior plastics.

Price of the replacement parts.

Lack of Plug-n-Play options especially with the electronics.

Lack of spirited performance, especially for an E200 NA.

Summary
In a nutshell, my W210 carries a lot of nostalgia and that is the main reason for my purchase. I believe this car is going to be a keeper and I have plans to bring it back to its glory. If you're looking to own one, all I could say is go for it! After all, life is too short!

Along with this E200, I also own a Nissan Sunny B11 1993, Toyota Corolla KE70 DX 1979, and a Honda Accord TAO 2009. My daily driver is a BMW X1 F48 2019. I have decided to put a hold on acquiring more cars as I have officially run out of parking space.

Interesting events that happened to my car
The most interesting event would be the day I took over the car. Since then, enjoying the car has always been interesting.

https://forum.wapcar.my/owner-review-my-childhood-dream-has-come-true--my-mercedesbenz-w210-e200-pta837dbb2b3838b#comment-title

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2020
shocked

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2020
tongue
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by gasparpisciotta: 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2020
Sell to me
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by Drversatile: 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2020
I own one exactly 5 years today. I have upgraded the rear light to millennium. The car is rugged andresponseis still amazing. Mine is 4cylinder straight engine
searchng4love:
Basic information about my car
It's a Mercedes-Benz W210 E200 from 1998. This is the pre-facelift version which comes with the 5-Speed ​​722.6 Auto Transmission. I bought this car for around RM 10K.

Reasons why I bought this car

The main purpose is just to fulfill my childhood dream of driving a W210 around. While I was growing up in the 90's, the W210 and E39 were the cars which the 'well to do' people were commuting around. I come from a very humble background, which means I could only admire those cars from afar. Now that I could afford to get myself behind the wheels of the newer Mercedes and Beemers, I decided to go for a W210 instead just to satisfy my childhood fantasy.

Car Selection Process
I had a budget of RM15,000

Model (s) that I have considered include: W124 Masterpiece, W210 E200, W210 E200K, W210 E240 V6

Reasons why I chose this car:

This car had a single owner before I took over and the car has been kept well with very minimal wear and tear defects in the interior. The paint job has faded over the years but it has this very classic look that I simply adore. E200's are highly sort after models relative to the higher displacement variants due to the lower maintenance costs and you'd not be surprised with the price of the replacement parts. Of course, the road tax is quite low compared to the other siblings too! Well, the E240 and E280 drive extremely well with the power punching motors but for a car of this age I think cruising along the highways and country roads would do justice so the E200 fits the bill perfectly.

User Experience
I have already done 5,000 km

Since the purchase, my thoughts about the car are:

This is a 22 years old car and it surprises me in many ways especially with the driving comfort and versatility. Prior to owning this car, I have only driven the W210 once and that's back in 2009. If my memory serves me right, I felt the same sensation after a good 11 years. Well, I did not expect to own a flawless car so my thoughts have not meddled with utter disappointment. I have spent close to RM 5k now in getting the car to run the way I like. The upkeep has been purely voluntary as no parts have broken down thus far. The suspension system has been completely rebuilt including the refurbishment of the dampers which costs me around RM1600. All the bushings have been replaced as well and I have to admit that the whole process's outcome did not disappoint me. The crucial part is sourcing for the right mechanic who diagnoses the problems well and offers solutions confidently. You have to be mindful that the E200 is a relatively modern vehicle and the diagnostics are carried out via an OBD system. Of course, the OBD does not diagnose any mechanical problems which require the intervention of the mechanics' knowledge of Stuttgart's mechanism.

Pros & Cons
Pros

Looks good and not dated.

Comfortable ride.

The extremely spacious cabin and luggage space.

Parts availability.

Reliable.

Cabin NVH is excellent.

It's a Mercedes-Benz!

Cons

Brittle interior plastics.

Price of the replacement parts.

Lack of Plug-n-Play options especially with the electronics.

Lack of spirited performance, especially for an E200 NA.

Summary
In a nutshell, my W210 carries a lot of nostalgia and that is the main reason for my purchase. I believe this car is going to be a keeper and I have plans to bring it back to its glory. If you're looking to own one, all I could say is go for it! After all, life is too short!

Along with this E200, I also own a Nissan Sunny B11 1993, Toyota Corolla KE70 DX 1979, and a Honda Accord TAO 2009. My daily driver is a BMW X1 F48 2019. I have decided to put a hold on acquiring more cars as I have officially run out of parking space.

Interesting events that happened to my car
The most interesting event would be the day I took over the car. Since then, enjoying the car has always been interesting.

https://forum.wapcar.my/owner-review-my-childhood-dream-has-come-true--my-mercedesbenz-w210-e200-pta837dbb2b3838b#comment-title
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2020
Drversatile:
I own one exactly 5 years today. I have upgraded the rear light to millennium. The car is rugged andresponseis still amazing. Mine is 4cylinder straight engine
A beautiful machine. I have the millennium V6 engine... amazes me daily

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 12:22am On Dec 31, 2020

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by nurey(m): 4:29pm On Dec 31, 2020
Carry money go buy rust bucket aye ooooo grin

Come dey drop superstory for us here, who cares you for buy the W140 nah your dream car

3 Likes

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 5:47pm On Dec 31, 2020
Toxic peeps... Enjoy your toxicity

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 5:48pm On Dec 31, 2020
gasparpisciotta:
Sell to me
That car is not sellable
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by naijadrivablog: 6:19am On Jan 01, 2021
Na this car dem de call "German Mistake". It is rugged, fuel economic and pre-sensor filled Mercedes Era.

Op, enjoy.
searchng4love:

That car is not sellable

Guy, na you buy the car abi you posted someone's story via the link you posted above

Na nice motor be that o.

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by Themandalorian: 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2021
Never seen a more ugly headlights.

2 Likes

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 2:02pm On Jan 01, 2021
Themandalorian:
Never seen a more ugly headlights.

That's where the beauty lies.
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:26pm On Jan 01, 2021
Rubbish rust bucket.

Pray make God bless you make you buy W212 or W213.

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 2:37pm On Jan 01, 2021
Beautiful car. 2021 year of minding your business

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by Themandalorian: 3:43pm On Jan 01, 2021
searchng4love:

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 4:21pm On Jan 01, 2021
Themandalorian:

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
You're right. Enjoy 2021
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:47pm On Jan 01, 2021
diportivo:

very ugly looking thing undecided

3 Likes

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by Themandalorian: 5:32pm On Jan 01, 2021
searchng4love:

You're right. Enjoy 2021
You too.

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 6:47pm On Jan 01, 2021
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=97619604][/quote]

That's the beauty. Some feel bitter leaf is sweeter than sugar.... Guess what? They're correct!
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:11pm On Jan 01, 2021

Mine is a E320 99, bought it with 104,000 miles. It drives like a Dream. It's smooth, quiet and Gorgeous. It feels like a glove when I sit on driver's seat, it manouvers like a cat. Its a Powerful, classy & amazing car. My only issues were a couple of the headlamp lightbulbs burned out which I easily replaced. It's my 3rd E Class and it's Definitely the BEST Production vehicle ever built.

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:08pm On Jan 01, 2021
searchng4love:

That's the beauty. Some feel bitter leaf is sweeter than sugar.... Guess what? They're correct!

Praxtech:
You had to go ancient...... You should have gone for this engine M115.... Orgasmic
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 10:30pm On Jan 01, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Take...

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by alphaNomega: 1:55pm On Jan 02, 2021
searchng4love:

That's the first thing I dislike about the car, even as a child
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 2:03pm On Jan 02, 2021
alphaNomega:
That's the first thing I dislike about the car, even as a child
Eeyaah.
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by alphaNomega: 2:10pm On Jan 02, 2021
searchng4love:

Eeyaah.
lol. Abeg shift. Those headlights are hideous even after two decades
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 2:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
alphaNomega:
lol. Abeg shift. Those headlights are hideous even after two decades

You're entitled to your opinion. I'll defend your right to it. Even if I don't agree.
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 8:52pm On Jan 02, 2021
Airbags Driver
Passenger
Head for 1st Row Seats (Front)
Head for 2nd Row Seats
Side for 1st Row Occupants (Front)
Side for 2nd Row Occupants (rear)
Vehicle Control Traction
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by Ayodaygee(m): 11:06am On Jan 03, 2021
Great ride bro..

Keep rocking it.

Am gonna join u soon...

1 Like

Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by IkpuMmadu: 4:51pm On Jan 03, 2021
nurey:
Carry money go buy rust bucket aye ooooo grin

Come dey drop superstory for us here, who cares you for buy the W140 nah your dream car

What is wrong with some of you guys ? Is it your money ? Why are you guys likee this ...
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:20pm On Jan 03, 2021
Out of all the gas engines that we work on, the m112 v-6 has had the least amount of issues by far. I've had a few of the ML320s in my shop go well over 300k with no major issues aside from the normal replacement items. starter, waterpump, alternator, etc. IMO, they're close to bulletproof. And, if you do have major issues, a used one is almost free compared to the cost of a major repair. Being on the West coast, I've yet to see any rust issue on a 210 in the last 20 years. If I could find a 1997 210 with the M104 and low miles, I would own those all day long
Re: Owner Review: My Childhood Dream Has Come True - My Mercedes-benz W210 E200 by searchng4love: 9:21pm On Jan 03, 2021
IkpuMmadu:

What is wrong with some of you guys ? Is it your money ? Why are you guys likee this ...
Ignore.... A 2001 or later E320 is indestructible, I've had one for four years and nothing has ever gone wrong mechanically beyond A/C Compressor, suspension repairs (horrible roads) and a center driveshaft bearing. All I've done on the engine is spark plugs once....and oil changes. We've had three in my family in the past 6 years....combined driven miles of nearly 230k on them....none have ever broken down. M112+722.6 is among the best powertrains ever produced by MB in my opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox / Machine In The Street Of 042 Porsche Panamera GTC (pic) / Classic Cars: 1972 Honda Civic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.