Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River (35744 Views)

Military Arrests Nicholas Uchendu Akalezi, 10 Navy Personnel In Kogi / Navy Personnel Beat Women In Abia: Navy, Abia State Government React / Navy Personnel evict Tarkwa Bay Residents, Many Rendered Homeless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by dre11(m): 5:06pm On Dec 31, 2020
The military personnel also urinated on the widow and the family after beating them for several hours.

A Nigerian Navy officer, Victor Owonam, allegedly led nine military personnel to the residence of a widow, Mrs. Esther Bassey, and her family in Cross River State, brutalising and dehumanising them.

The military personnel also urinated on the widow and the family after beating them for several hours.

SaharaReporters learnt that the incident occurred on Sunday, in the afternoon when Owonam, a Seaman, and his sister, also a navy officer, stormed the widow’s residence and dragged her and her four children out of the apartment.

In a petition, the Country Director of a civil society, Citizens’ Solution Network, Richard Inoyo, stated that the Cross River State Governor, Prof Ben Ayade, and the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, should investigate the assault and bring the erring officers to justice.

But there was nothing stated in the petition as the reason why the navy personnel carried out the alleged assault on the family.

Narrating the incident further, Inoyo said, “On December 27, a naval officer, Victor Owonam, led his sister, also a naval woman, and eight military personnel to the residence of Mrs. Esther Bassey, an aged widow with three daughters and a son. They gave this helpless family the harshest and most violent humiliation of their lives, after cowardly beating and torturing the aged widow and her kids for hours.

“At 10pm the same day, unsatisfied with the first robust beatings given to the woman and her family, Owonam returned with his military colleagues to the apartment, pulled down the burglary of her house, dragged her and her kids out. Before they could get dressed, the military men clamped them into a vehicle belonging to Operation Akpakwu (a new Security outfit in Cross River State) and took them to Bogobiri and began to beat this family again.

“They humiliated them, urinated on them after severe beatings, continued till about 3am the next day in the dead of night before they were asked to leave in excruciating pains and humiliation. One wonders if we are in the 21st century or some barbaric 4th century where humans were treated like animals.

“Today, in solidarity with Mrs. Bassey, her kids, we and 39 other civil organisations are demanding justice for the family and calling on the Chief of Naval Staff to recall, arrest and try Owonam, his sister and the eight other military personnel who cowardly inflicted such high-level form of torture on the aged widow and her three daughters and son.”

The group also called on the governor to “stand up and ensure this case doesn't get swept under the rug.”

“We equally call on the highest echelon of the Nigerian Navy to ensure due compensation and apology is handed to the family of Mrs. Esther Bassey besides the dismissal of all the indicted officers.

“A country where men in naval uniforms will abuse their privileges and mercilessly beat a defenceless widow sends a dangerous and disgraceful message to both the Nigerian Navy and international community, hence the need to offer justice to these victims of naval brutality, so as to serve as a deterrent to other erring uniform men,” Inoyo added.

http://saharareporters.com/2020/12/31/navy-personnel-soldiers-brutalise-urinate-widow-children-cross-river

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by osamz007: 5:08pm On Dec 31, 2020
THEY'RE CURSED

HUMANS BEHAVING LIKE THIS TO OTHER HUMANS

THEIR LEADERS WON'T CALL THEM TO ORDER

ONE DAY THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Paperwhite(m): 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
Animal in crase man skin full everywhere in this country.

7 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by LoisKitchen(f): 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
Ehn...too bad!
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Yusufisraelj(m): 5:13pm On Dec 31, 2020
This is wrong. However there are two sides to a story

So make I keep my bulàla first.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
Hmm... People should understand that criminals are now impersonating security personnel... They disguise as military and paramilitary officers to commit heinous crimes. I also heard that some evil #ENDSARS protesters are now dressing like SWAT personnel to intentionally brutalize unsuspecting civilians just to spite the government and the security forces!

This we SHOULD NEVER TOLERATE! The government should swing into action immediately and ensure that those responsible for this evil and wicked act - whether criminals impersonating security personnel or the security personnel themselves - be brought to justice! Enough is enough!

As for you bloody EndSars protesters currently wreaking havoc on innocent civilians just to dubiously implicate the government and our hardworking security personnel, I tell you the truth: YOU WILL MEET YOUR WATERLOO SOONER THAN YOU EXPECT! Unless I am NOT a MAN OF GOD.. But if I BE A MAN OF GOD, you idiots will meet your disastrous ends! And so shall it be! Mark my words!

May God help Nigeria!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Simplyleo: 5:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
I don't want to believe this report.

It rather not be true.

7 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by hisgrace090: 5:46pm On Dec 31, 2020
Who is giving out uniforms to this guys?

3 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
Simplyleo:
I don't want to believe this report.

It rather not be true.

My beloved brother, they are enemies at work! Trust me, most of these brutalities you hear about are engineered by criminals dressed in military/paramilitary attire.. Not saying there is no police/military brutality, but in most cases, criminal elements are the culprits. No soldier would stoop this low, I can bet my life!

Na only God go help us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Uyi168: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2020
Be like say the endsars movement didn't yield anything.

1 Like

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2020
man inhumanity to his fellow man shocked
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by RomanGreen: 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2020
Welcome to the zoo.....this petition is meaningless because we all know it'll amount to nothing, the police do not obey court order, the courts are so corrupt and only the rich win cases...what more can you achieve, anyone still hoping Nigeria will be better is living on fool's Paradise undecided

5 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Beverlyjean(f): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2020
This is pure wickedness...y are those that hv power soooo mean...especially the black race
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by computerglobal(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2020
cool

cool
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
I need financial help o, anyone ready to help?
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Triangles1(m): 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
Impunity
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nato008(m): 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
SilverNorGold:
Hmm... People should understand that criminals are now impersonating security personnel... They disguise as military and paramilitary officers to commit heinous crimes. I also heard that some evil #ENDSARS protesters are now dressing like SWAT personnel to intentionally brutalize unsuspecting civilians just to spite the government and the security forces!

This we SHOULD NEVER TOLERATE! The government should swing into action immediately and ensure that those responsible for this evil and wicked act - whether criminals impersonating security personnel or the security personnel themselves - be brought to justice! Enough is enough!

As for you bloody EndSars protesters currently wreaking havoc on innocent civilians just to dubiously implicate the government and our hardworking security personnel, I tell you the truth: YOU WILL MEET YOUR WATERLOO SOONER THAN YOU EXPECT! Unless I am NOT a MAN OF GOD.. But if I BE A MAN OF GOD, you idiots will meet your disastrous ends! And so shall it be! Mark my words!

May God help Nigeria!
u were making sense but boom.......u went offside, try and read what u wrote again...

12 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Abbeyme: 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
You don minit
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Bankalert(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My beloved brother, they are enemies at work! Trust me, most of this brutality you hear about is engineered by criminals dressed in military/paramilitary attire.. Not saying there is no police/military brutality, but in most cases, criminal elements are the culprits. No soldier would stoop this low, I can bet my life!

Na only God go help us.
angry You must be living in a different country.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Patrioticman007(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
What !!!!.

A Nigerian Navy officer, Victor Owonam, allegedly led nine military personnel to the residence of a widow, Mrs. Esther Bassey, and her family in Cross River State, brutalising and dehumanising them.

Nigeria is not the problem but Nigerians,
Imagine Victor Owonam an Igbo officer abusing an Igbo family, just because he is Chanced to wear a uniform, come to think Victor bearing Muhammad the CAN a cankerous of Worms would have let hell loose on the media.
Let's unite to make Nigeria a better place.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Gospelpreacher1: 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
Lord Have Mercy on Humanity
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Twoclans(f): 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2020
Something is fundamentally wrong with the training of majority of our military and para military personnel in this country.

I meet this military guy a few months ago,on two occasions that I had to be in the same space with him the way he treated other people was so disgusting .I dropped him like hot potatoes.

If this widow said they did this to her honestly I won't be surprised at all.

7 Likes

Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by bencarson007(m): 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2020
This is so painful
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2020
SINCE THE DAY I BEGAN TO SEE MILITARY IN OUR TOWNS AND THE CITY I KNOW THAT WERE HEADING TO WAR 23 24 WILL BE STARTING YEAR
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by Lawrry(m): 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2020
All these uniform people? Are they mad ni?
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by demefaboy(m): 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2020
Please learn to report a Naval Seaman is not an officer, he is a Naval Rating,a commissioned officer won't act the way he did.
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by lunacol(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2020
Dehumanizing
Re: Navy Personnel, Soldiers Urinate On Widow & Her Children In Cross River by marsman: 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2020
RomanGreen:
Welcome to the zoo.....this petition is meaningless because we all know it'll amount to nothing, the police do not obey court order, the courts are so corrupt and only the rich win cases...what more can you achieve, anyone still hoping Nigeria will be better is living on fool's Paradise undecided
*in a fools paradise, and some of us are not just hoping for a better tomorrow, we are working towards it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Invades Ajiri Military Base In Borno, Dislodges Soldiers / Police Welcomes Dino Melaye At Umar Buba Jibrin's 7-day Prayers / Yoruba Nation Rally: Police Fume As Organisers Vow To Shutdown Lagos Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.