Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... (63383 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by sunnybobonwa: 2:09am On Jan 02, 2021
Why I stopped attending Catholic churches in Nigeria - Chimamanda Adichie

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a novelist, says she doesn’t attend the Catholic churches in Nigeria because activities became “way too much” about money, fundraising, and thanksgiving.

She spoke of her agnostic approach to religion in a recent interview with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, a television host.

The 43-year-old writer, while noting that she still considers herself a Catholic nominally, said she only attends masses outside the country whenever she finds a “progressive” Catholic community that upholds humanity.

“I grew up Catholic. Catholicism was very important to me. It‘s almost like a culture, not just a religion. So even if you leave the Catholic Church, it’s in you. Today, I don’t like to talk about religion because I don’t know,” she said.

“I think of myself as agnostic and questioning. Catholicism holds you tight. There are many other protestant denominations that are not so. It’s all-inclusive. ‘You cannot eat before mass. You have to go to confession.’

“There are so many rules. It teaches you guilt in a way that I don’t think so many protestant denominations do. I’m Catholic, nominally. I still feel protective of some things about the Catholic Church. But I don’t attend it in Nigeria.”

Chimamanda also spoke of her admiration for Pope Francis on account of his “attempt to reform” the system.

“Nigerian Catholicism is way too much about money, fundraising, and thanksgiving. Some in the east even look at who’s wearing gold. I think the focus of religion should be things Nigerian Catholicism doesn’t focus on,” she said.

“Culturally, I call myself a catholic. But if being religious means performing and going to confession, I’m not. I don’t go to church in Nigeria. Outside the country? Certainly not often. When I find a progressive Catholic Church, I go.

“There’s still something beautiful about the mass. I find Latin beautiful, the priests sweeping up in their dresses, and the sense of community. But there’s also a lot that I quarrel with. It’s the pope I love because he’s so human.

“Hyper-conservative Catholics don’t like him. But if they read Catholic history, they should know there have been people like him who have reformed the church. I respect religion in general while questioning some of its excesses.”

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/chimamanda-why-i-stopped-attending-catholic-churches-in-nigeria/

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by tobechi20(m): 3:05am On Jan 02, 2021
She is a humanist like Mubarak Bala who was arrested for blacksphemy

Religion stains whatever it touches. Religion has caused division among senior advocate of Nigeria. Ignoring the problem of religion in this country never manages to push the problem away. Ignoring the problem often compounds the problem until it grows into a mountain .

. An average Christian wishes  everyone is a Christian. An average Muslim wishes everyone becomes a Muslim. Each tries to project his desire to the other. Whenever a Muslim is in power, Christians fear he is on a mission to islamise the country.  Whenever a Christian becomes president, Muslims fear the same.This fear makes it difficult for them to cooperate amicably . Christian trust Christian leaders, Muslims trust Muslim leaders.

Our education system is fueling this saperation.  From primary school, children learn mathematics, English language, Basic science and other languages together. But when it comes to religious studies, Christians are divided from Muslims. This continues until the child finishes secondary school. The school saperates the children as kids and expect them to miraculously work together as adults.

The academia should develop a general religious knowledge curriculum. At an early age, children ought to be introduced to all form of religion outside the religion of their parents. A growing child should have basic knowledge of Christianity, Islam, African Traditional Religion, Buddhism etc.  Limiting him to one knowledge alone create a narrow mind and makes him difficult to tolerate and work with another Religion for which he never knew existed. When we delve into other belief, we become intrigued by the similarities. We become more accepting .

Christian should not wish everyone were a Christian. If everyone thinks alike, the world would be bored. God created us different for a reason . Muslim should wish every Christian develop a greater understanding and acceptance of Islam while remaining firmly within their own Religion.

https://tobechispeaks./2020/09/08/the-rise-of-religious-rebels-in-the-north/

245 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 02, 2021
Religion in general, is a school you should graduate from as soon as you can so has to discover your very own spiritual path ordained for you from the beginning.

Religion can NEVER lead you to God, only spirituality can perceive God; for God is Spirit.

It is only one of the means and never the End. If you see it has the end, you will never understand your being and consequently God.

Glad Adichie is coming to that understanding.

200 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Pious101: 3:41am On Jan 02, 2021
tobechi20:
that's d difference between the religion of peace n Christianity

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by rexchazy(m): 3:42am On Jan 02, 2021
You re

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nobody: 4:16am On Jan 02, 2021
BTC has arrived in some churches grin guys how do you expect the mansions in heaven to be built

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Samfloxin(m): 4:22am On Jan 02, 2021
I have no comment
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by ikorodureporta: 5:26am On Jan 02, 2021
Then you go home after communion... because the rest time na for ceremonies cheesy

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by JaneYave(f): 5:31am On Jan 02, 2021
leadzeal:
Religion in general, is a school you should graduate from as soon as you can so has to discover your very own spiritual path ordained for you from the beginning.

Religion can NEVER lead you to God, only spirituality can perceive God; for God is Spirit.

It is only one of the means and never the End. If you see it has the end, you will never understand your being and consequently God.

Glad Adichie is coming to that understanding.
God bless you.

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by JaneYave(f): 5:37am On Jan 02, 2021
Jesus knew why He said you shall do exploits if you know your God. Having insight saves, you could choose your path and vision and yet be part of a congregation while you kindly keep voicing out against odds. Absconding is not the best, there is a still anoiting in the sanctuary.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by jojofola: 5:44am On Jan 02, 2021
There are no lies here.
The offerings are way too much.

108 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by James4358(m): 5:50am On Jan 02, 2021
Churches now are business oriented not only catholics! U must thank God or sow a seed every sunday! I just go to church with what i can afford to give to avoid stories that touch.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by 9jaBloke: 5:52am On Jan 02, 2021
Video

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Obinnau(m): 6:30am On Jan 02, 2021
I lost my faith in the church and stopped going since 2017. It's all about money and wealth. Not about the poorest members among themselves. A church is supposed to be where someone comes for refuge, not where one will be oppressed because they don't have money. You are respected in church organisations by how much money you or your family have and by what you have to offer. It's a sad thing that even the so called priests openly partake in the this irreligious affair. Sad generation indeed!

166 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by HonKong: 6:35am On Jan 02, 2021
okay
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Africana1123(m): 7:09am On Jan 02, 2021
Tell me is a lie shocked
LaEvilIMiss:
BTC has arrived in some churches grin guys how do you expect the mansions in heaven to be built
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Clonus: 7:43am On Jan 02, 2021
That’s one of the many differences between the true religion as practiced byThe Christ and the religion of man

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by CHoccolaTE: 8:03am On Jan 02, 2021
tobechi20:
She isn't an atheist though...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by BlessedNuel: 8:04am On Jan 02, 2021
Just speechless at the moment
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by majamajic(m): 8:04am On Jan 02, 2021
If u want marry urgently this new year , just attend Catholic morning service in your village tomorrow , u go see fin fin homely girls to pick from , pay her bride price next day . Very simple !

33 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Shellsploit: 8:04am On Jan 02, 2021
Catholic church and second collection sef!

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by modaink333: 8:05am On Jan 02, 2021
Lies from the pit of hell.

She don't because Catholic Church especially in Nigeria is strongly against Feminist and Feminism.
....look at efulefu saying when she finds a progressive Catholic Church outside the country, she will attend...
Like the basilica in Rome and France I guess...

So the progressive Catholic Churches just sprang out from the tin air i guess?

Please, who is supplying weed for this feminist?

In Catholic, It's a tradition for "communicants" not all attendees to fast before mass due to the reception of the Holy Eucharistic, except for the sick and elderly. Thats what this feminist see as a problem...shes just a pergan in disguise, she absolutely knows nothing about the faith, norms and tradition of the Catholic Church. even if am not to partake in the reception of the Holy Eucharistic, I find it difficult to eat before going to mass.

Book no dey again to write, na chasing clout now be her priority

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by ImmaculateJOE(m): 8:05am On Jan 02, 2021
She is very correct..

My own is that the Bishops and Priests live large and drive exorbitant cars while the congregate starve..

I'm a die-hard Catholic tho.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Sagaciousp: 8:05am On Jan 02, 2021
I'm not a Catholic, but one church in Nigeria I admire most is the Catholic Church.
There is this Catholic Church close to my residence, they have a mini flat(Bungalow) close to the Church auditorium, this house has housed a non Catholic with his six children for more than three years now. Every Sunday mass will be ongoing and the man and his family would dress and pass right in front of the church auditorium to living faith church(Winners chapel) where they worship.

Which other denomination tolerates such?

193 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by NaijaFutbol: 8:06am On Jan 02, 2021
My sentiments

But try patopreneurs and see more focus on the fringe benefits

But the religion of peace, that one is a different story

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Arry110(m): 8:06am On Jan 02, 2021
I don't usually bother about all those so many offerings and fundraisers but guilt tripping church members to donate is what I don't like, giving is from the heart and done by those who have, or the pastor tells donors to stand up in other to tension others to stand so as to uphold their high esteem in church, churches giving preferential treatment to the wealthy is a story of another day

29 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Twist Of Fate. / TORN (based On A True Life Story) / What Is The Difference Between Learnt And Learned?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.