Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... (63430 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by SmartPolician: 8:29am On Jan 02, 2021
ImmaculateJOE:
She is very correct..

My own is that the Bishops and Priests live large and drive exorbitant cars while the congregate starve..

I'm a die-hard Catholic tho.

You see, Amanda is right.
However, Catholic Churches differ from one place to another.
In my church, the laity council has an arm that raises funds to support other parishioners.
People who have good business ideas without capital can pitch the arm and get financial support.
They can support businesses to the tune of 300k. It's a grant and the arm told the church that they have up to 10m in the account.
The church is in Ajah, Lagos

PS: Priests don't drive exotic cars; most of them drive average cars

11 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Mycoin(m): 8:30am On Jan 02, 2021
tobechi20:
She is a humanist like Mubarak Bala who was arrested for blacksphemy
That's the one you heard of
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by vaca1: 8:30am On Jan 02, 2021
You're no different from all those people you're calling out

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by HisMajesty1(m): 8:30am On Jan 02, 2021
My parents left the Catholic Church when I was little, but I'll tell you for a fact, I prefer it to most if not all protestant churches.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:30am On Jan 02, 2021
Claudiusdeux:
Ok, I am of two minds about this

1.The Churches in Nigeria seem to be largely money minded. Not just catholic, every church, and even some fellowships.

2.On the other hand, the money raised by many churches goes into their charities, which help the...you guessed it...poor. And the Catholic church is one of the chief runners of charities in this country.

(N.B I am not a catholic, nor do I agree with their doctrine)

Not all monies goes to charity. The offerings are labeled according to projects

I don't know what you mean by chief runners of charities . You may give names of many of the charities they run
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by DiamondJude(m): 8:32am On Jan 02, 2021
Sincerely I'm a Catholic and truth be told the collections are now way way too much that the essence and sanctity of the mass is beginning to get lost.

But the truth is a true Catholic will never stop going to the mass for any reason and another good thing about the church is you won't be forced to give, so there isn't any excuse for not going to church.

God has blessed Amanda so it's proper she also appreciate God by donating to the Church.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by humilitypays(m): 8:33am On Jan 02, 2021
Not just Catholic Churches, all Nigerian Churches have been heavily monetized. Though its Nigerian culture to monetize everything, so it has more to do with our culture as Nigerians than the Church.

The Church is not the problem, Nigerians and their worship of money and material wealth is the problem.

Only fools say there is no God!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by prigoz(m): 8:34am On Jan 02, 2021
Amanda, thank your God that you are not member of religion of piss, if not, you will be tagged "blasphemy" and your righteous governor caught red handed stuffing his Babariga with Dollars, would have signed your death sentence.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by toprealman: 8:34am On Jan 02, 2021
Diocesan covenant service 2021
Circuit covenant service 2021
Local church covenant service 2021
Same person...3 different covenant services
Same God....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Frustrated007: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2021
this woman digusts me on every level sad
Wasn't she the one who said she couldn't take her husband's last name? sad

give Nigerian woman small power and influence and watch her start trampling on everybody

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by JustCruise(m): 8:36am On Jan 02, 2021
Am not surprised. Her first novel,Purple Hibiscus portrayed her views on Roman Catholic Church. For me,the excesses of the Roman Catholic church in the east are way too much. they promote intolerance between them and Christians of other denominations and inferiority of Africans names.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by humilitypays(m): 8:37am On Jan 02, 2021
Claudiusdeux:
Ok, I am of two minds about this

1.The Churches in Nigeria seem to be largely money minded. Not just catholic, every church, and even some fellowships.

2.On the other hand, the money raised by many churches goes into their charities, which help the...you guessed it...poor. And the Catholic church is one of the chief runners of charities in this country.

(N.B I am not a catholic, nor do I agree with their doctrine)
that's the truth brother. Nigerian Churches as a whole are hugely monetized. But we cannot condemn them entirely because they are the forerunners of charity in Nigeria.

Churches have helped in many areas Nigerian Government failed Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:38am On Jan 02, 2021
Poor comprehension is your greatest challenge. Work on it ..this is another year that requires men with quick learning ability

The thing she praised about the church is what you she attacking her for but the one she criticized the church for you are silent about

Whether she is a feminist is besides the point . I am sure there are many of her kind that attends the Catholic church ... There is no rule against admiring them into any Catholic ,in Nigeria

modaink333:
Lies from the pit of hell.

She don't because Catholic Church especially in Nigeria is strongly against Feminist and Feminism.
....look at efulefu saying when she finds a progressive Catholic Church outside the country, she will attend...
Like the basilica in Rome and France I guess...

So the progressive Catholic Churches just sprang out from the tin air i guess?

Please, who is supplying weed for this feminist?

In Catholic, It's a tradition for "communicants" not all attendees to fast before mass due to the reception of the Holy Eucharistic, except for the sick and elderly. Thats what this feminist see as a problem...shes just a pergan in disguise, she absolutely knows nothing about the faith, norms and tradition of the Catholic Church. even if am not to partake in the reception of the Holy Eucharistic, I find it difficult to eat before going to mass.

Book no dey again to write, na chasing clout now be her priority
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Carlmax(m): 8:39am On Jan 02, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

Because it has been there doesn't make it right.

As a former Catholic I can declare that the church puts financial pressures on membership and panders to the men and family with the financial muscle .

You have never been a catholic, the catholic church never guilt trips about giving, also dropping offering into the box is a very private thing, you can drop 50 naira if that's what you want to.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by alloy123: 8:39am On Jan 02, 2021
Catholic have assisted so many but few made it look somehow nowadays..My former Boss benefited so much from the church...from daily feeding to his Masters level in education..
Sagaciousp:
I'm not a Catholic, but one church in Nigeria I admire most is the Catholic Church.
There is this Catholic Church close to my residence, they have a mini flat(Bungalow) close to the Church auditorium, this house has housed a non Catholic with his six children for more than three years now. Every Sunday mass will be ongoing and the man and his family would dress and pass right in front of the church auditorium to living faith church(Winners chapel) where they worship.

Which other denomination tolerates such?

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by loswhite(m): 8:43am On Jan 02, 2021
2cribz:
I dropped out from catholic church in 2010.
Its a coven,withcraft,they are demonic,rev father sexing all the sisters,cumin in them,rev fsther smokes in pub shortly after mass u go dey perceive ciga,they drink beer openly during harvest and bazaar,yhere is nothing anu bastard catholic will tellme again. They turn the bible upside down and they dont use bible,its forbidden. All they do is to rewrie and modify bible verses inside one useless bulletin. Catholics worship mary and idolise her a lot,to them jesus christ is secondary. Mary is first. Dumb fools hell bound.. hail mary full of grace,tha lord is with u,i can recite all they stupid useless boring prayers. Idols and withches full catholic church
Brainwash Pentecostal member

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Mistykeen: 8:44am On Jan 02, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

Not all monies goes to charity. The offerings are labeled according to projects

I don't know what you mean by chief runners of charities . You may give names of many of the charities they run
Oga you never go Catholic before no dey lie...if so you should be aware of the numerous charities the associations that make up the church make
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by loswhite(m): 8:44am On Jan 02, 2021
Makavelli25:
How come I am following you. You sound dumb
Even the Educated ones become dumb once they become Pentecostal members

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Mistykeen: 8:46am On Jan 02, 2021
Carlmax:

You have never been a catholic, the catholic church never guilt trips about giving, also dropping offering into the box is a very private thing, you can drop 50 naira if that's what you want to.
No mind am every one go come online dey claim wetin Dem no get idea about yes too many offering dey go on buh who dey come carry you from your chair say na must you go do offering

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Odidigboigbo(m): 8:47am On Jan 02, 2021
Sagaciousp:
I'm not a Catholic, but one church in Nigeria I admire most is the Catholic Church.
There is this Catholic Church close to my residence, they have a mini flat(Bungalow) close to the Church auditorium, this house has housed a non Catholic with his six children for more than three years now. Every Sunday mass will be ongoing and the man and his family would dress and pass right in front of the church auditorium to living faith church(Winners chapel) where they worship.

Which other denomination tolerates such?
A lot of Churches does that, In the compound I leave, there is a Yoruba Language Deeper life Church there, they have been harbouring a family of six from Akwa-Ibom close to 8 years now. That family don't attend Deeper Life but I guess one small church like that, which I don't know the name. Down the street too, a Redeemed Church has been harbouring about two families with some Abokies, non of them are Redeemers.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Theevilone(m): 8:47am On Jan 02, 2021
ImmaculateJOE:
She is very correct..

My own is that the Bishops and Priests live large and drive exorbitant cars while the congregate starve..

I'm a die-hard Catholic tho.

Sir don’t forget that catholic priest don’t have right to buy cars or live in any house of their wish, any catholic priest u see with Exorbitant car as u said is a gift from a well to do in the community and upon the gifting the priest must present it to his archdiocesan bishop who now decides.
Catholic priests live in parish house till they die and upon that are buried in cathedral cemetery, they don’t they are more like soldiers who doesn’t have right over themselves the money u think they extort doesn’t go to personal pocket, it’s remitted to the head and it’s Disturbed to those small and poor parishes in the rural area, to less privileged, the orphanage homes and seminary schools, again no rev fr rides his choice of car all u see are parishioners freewheel gift .

After those numerous offerings the committee in charge will gather the money straight to centre and that’s all. Priests plead with parishioners or bishop for cars when they are in new Of one any priest that does otherwise will hear.

Remember members do away with any bishop or priest they wish to so no nonsense.

11 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by aalangel(f): 8:48am On Jan 02, 2021
Mtcheww....just because I don't like her.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by SunTzu123(m): 8:48am On Jan 02, 2021
A very true statement; the Catholic Church indeed raises a lot of money! But let's ask; what are these monitors used for?
1. Are you aware that the church runs several orphanage homes in Nigeria? Missionary sisters of mercy (in ketu, Lagos) is just one of them.
2. Are you aware that the church runs feeding programs for prison inmates at various prisons in Nigeria?
3. Are you aware that the church runs several special schools where NO FEES are paid? Pacelli School for the blind, Surulere is one of such.
4. Are you aware that the church offers the largest scholarship to indigent children (including moslems and non Christians) in Nigeria today? Find out more about the society of St. Vincent De Paul, they cordinate this.
5. Are you aware that most catholic churches in Nigeria runs feeding programs for widows and extreme poor citizens during festive periods (including non catholics and non Christians)?
6. Are you aware that the Catholic church runs several specialized hospitals all over Nigeria where treatments are subsidized (Ancillia Eye Hospital, Iju, Lagos is just one of them)?
7. Are you aware that these monies are not used to buy private jets for anyone?
8. Are you aware that the Catholic church sponsors missionaries to very remote areas of the world? A friend if mine is presently serving in Trukana, (I hope I got the spelling right) Kenya. Very similar to Maiduguri with armed banditry a daily occurrence and in those places, you the missionary, feeds the entire extremely poor population?
8. Are you aware that the Catholic church provides funds for it's global charity called CARITAS?
9. Are you aware that nobody forces you to donate anything in the Catholic church? Nobody tells you you are robbing God if you don't give?
10. Are you aware that no parish priest is 100% in control of all these monies?
11. Finally are you aware that every parish priest retains only 30-40% (depending on the size of the parish) of whatever funds they raise for running the parish while every other fund is handed over to a central body for above activities?

Where do you expect the funds for these to come from?
My sister, you be "aka gum" joor!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by favor914: 8:48am On Jan 02, 2021
leadzeal:
Religion in general, is a school you should graduate from as soon as you can so has to discover your very own spiritual path ordained for you from the beginning.

Religion can NEVER lead you to God, only spirituality can perceive God; for God is Spirit.

It is only one of the means and never the End. If you see it has the end, you will never understand your being and consequently God in society.

Glad Adichie is coming to that understanding.
An open minded person who has lived outside of Nigeria, comes back come & pays a visit to a church will definitely notice the absence of God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Patrioticman007(m): 8:49am On Jan 02, 2021
Pious101:
that's d difference between the religion of peace n Christianity

Please research about Christianity history before you spread misinformation on social media, we have kids here.

Google how church burned innocent souls just for interpreting the Bible.

"John Hus
One of Wycliffe’s followers, John Hus, actively promoted Wycliffe’s ideas: that people should be permitted to read the Bible in their own language, and they should oppose the tyranny of the Roman church that threatened anyone possessing a non-Latin Bible with execution. Hus was burned at the stake in 1415, with Wycliffe’s manuscript Bibles used as kindling for the fire. The last words of John Hus were that, “in 100 years, God will raise up a man whose calls for reform cannot be suppressed.” Almost exactly 100 years later, in 1517, Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 Theses of Contention (a list of 95 issues of heretical theology and crimes of the Roman Catholic Church) into the church door at Wittenberg. The prophecy of Hus had come true! Martin Luther went on to be the first person to translate and publish the Bible in the commonly-spoken dialect of the German people; a translation more appealing than previous German Biblical translations. Foxe’s Book of Martyrs records that in that same year, 1517, seven people were burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church for the crime of teaching their children to say the Lord’s Prayer in English rather than Latin.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by loswhite(m): 8:49am On Jan 02, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

Because it has been there doesn't make it right.

As a former Catholic I can declare that the church puts financial pressures on membership and panders to the men and family with the financial muscle .
Which church do you attend now?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by LadySarah: 8:51am On Jan 02, 2021
follow Charles Awuzie on FB and youd hate our type of Christianity in Nigeria.
Heavily monetized.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by loswhite(m): 8:51am On Jan 02, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

There is no anxiety as a result of financial pressure in Pentecostal churches as you have it in the othodox churches

I was a former Catholic
Been to Anglican for baby deviation and experienced first many offerings and collections

There is hardly any Pentecostal that takes offering more than once unless end of the month Thanksgiving and many don't do launching and harvest and raffle draws or collect dues
Lol this clown doesn't go to church
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by hardon1(m): 8:51am On Jan 02, 2021
The average catholic church mass is characterised by many Thanksgivings. You can't stop people from thanking God; and some worshippers don't seem to differentiate this from collection.

In my parish, the basics are normal offering and development collection and sometimes tithe(for those that have and want to pay).

The rests are thanksgivings which some erroneously see as collections as well. No one will force you to join Thanksgiving, it's your choice if you wish to join the individual. In fact, no one will force you to do any. The only one encourage is the offertory because its part of the sacrifice

For donations and fund raising, they normally give dates and doesn't happen all Sundays unless the church has urgent special need.

All in all, across all churches, no one will put a gun in your head to donate. The preacher can only appeal and coerce with words. The decision is yours.

Moreover if you feel contempt or intimidated or emasculated or shame or self pity because you can't give in church, it means you have a personality problem and you are going to church for people and not to worship

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:51am On Jan 02, 2021
Frustrated007:
this woman digusts me on every level sad
Wasn't she the one who said she couldn't take her husband's last name? sad

give Nigerian woman small power and influence and watch her start trampling on everybody

Ewu. Who deceived you that you have the power to give Nigerian women "small power"?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by mkpologwu(m): 8:52am On Jan 02, 2021
JaneYave:
Jesus knew why He said you shall do exploits if you know your God. Having insight saves, you could choose your path and vision and yet be part of a congregation while you kindly keep voicing out against odds. Absconding is not the best, there is a still anoiting in the sanctuary.

Nice submission!! I love you jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Twist Of Fate. / TORN (based On A True Life Story) / What Is The Difference Between Learnt And Learned?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.