Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,026 members, 7,852,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:36 PM

Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form (1431 Views)

We've Been Visiting Nnamdi Kanu In Prison — UK Govt / Why UK Govt Seized £27,000 From Diezani / Why Do We Have Only Igbo, Yoruba And Hausa Languages On The Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2011
TUESDAY, 29 MARCH 2011 13:23 ANONYMOUS

UK govt lists Yoruba, Igbo languages on census enumeration form Two Nigerian languages, Yoruba and Igbo have been listed among those into which the UK Census Enumeration forms have been translated. The Europe Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the UK government is currently undertaking a nation-wide census enumeration exercise.

A copy of the form obtained by NAN from the London Office for National Statistics (ONS) which are all translated in both languages, would be made available to those who do not understand English language on demand. Also the instruction manual entitled, ``It is time to complete your census questionnaire," stated that copies of the form can be supplied on demand, adding: ``Your own language to help you.

'' Extract from the form for the Igbo language read: ``Maka enyemaka n’asusu igbo,'' meaning for the assistance of those of the Igbo language while the Yoruba version stated: ``Fun iranlowo ni ede Yoruba,'' also meaning the same thing for Yoruba speakers. In his reaction, Kayode Ogunsola, Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), UK Chapter, described it as unprecedented in the history of the Nigerian community in the UK. He also saw the development as a recognition of the growing number and positive contributions of the Nigerian community to the growth, vibrancy and cultural diversity of the UK.

``Nigerian community have contributed immensely to the economic growth of UK; I think with recognition such as this, we can only continue to project our nation in a positive light,’’ he said. Also, Bimbo Folayan, Chairman of the Central Association of Nigerians in the UK (CANUK), who corroborated Ogunsola’s stand said that it was in recognition of Nigerians as stakeholders in the British project. ``When it comes to ethnic minority matters, the British recognise their importance and contributions in the UK,’’ Folayan said. Also, Ola Wright, a Tour operator in London, said that the development meant that ``we are relevant, important and there cannot be question of Nigerians being shoved aside in the scheme of things in the UK.’’ NAN reports that Nigerians in the UK are estimated to be between one and three million. Current population of the UK is about 60 million people.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2011
So did the U.S name Igbo as one of its race yet?

Takes me back to the noisy annoying noise that occurred last fall on NL grin
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:00pm On Mar 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nigerianspeak. Quoted for absurdity.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by EzeUche(m): 9:08pm On Mar 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Chei! I hope you are not embarrassing Nigerians at Florida State. undecided
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 30, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Nigerianspeak. Quoted for absurdity.

I am just represently representing grin

Somehow I knew a nerd was going to observe and quote, was expecting you. Took longer than expected tho tongue
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2011
EzeUche:

Chei! I hope you are not embarrassing Nigerians at Florida State. undecided

My dia, shattap dia. mtcheww!

But seriously, what happened to that census tho? cheesy
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I am just represently representing grin

Somehow I knew a nerd was going to observe and quote, was expecting you. Took longer than expected tho tongue

One doesn't have to be a nerd to realize how absurd "noisy noise" sounds.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 30, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

One doesn't have to be a nerd to realize how absurd "noisy noise" sounds.

You're right. But you could simply sue me and drop this. I like the way "noisy noise" sounds, se ko si?
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:24pm On Mar 30, 2011
Dropped.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by EzeUche(m): 9:29pm On Mar 30, 2011
[b]Ileke-Idi [/b]needs to learn not to make syntax errors. undecided
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 30, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Dropped.
Ditto!
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by AndreUweh(m): 9:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
The Igbo been considered as one of the languages on census enumeration form did not come out of the blues. There were Igbo organisations in the U.K that presented a very factual case to the U.K govt for inclusion. One of the Organisations is the Igbo Youths U.K (www.icsn.co.uk) which this poster is or one of the leaders. Thanks to the Igbo Katolik Community for their assistance as well.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by aloyemeka1: 10:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
Why didn't they include Hausa and Fulfulde since Hausa is more widely spoken in West Africa?
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by ektbear: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Why didn't they include Hausa and Fulfulde since Hausa is more widely spoken in West Africa?

Not enough of 'em in the uk
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by aloyemeka1: 1:05am On Mar 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Not enough of 'em in the uk

How did you determine that?. many Ijaws in UK too, why only Igbo and Yoruba?. I smell tribalism from black YoruIgbo Britons.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by Afam4eva(m): 1:17am On Mar 31, 2011
aloy/emeka:

So
It widely spoken in West Africa and not the UK. Note the difference. There may even be more Edo people than Hausas in the UK. So they may not even be the next in line. They can't be majority in everything.
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by fstranger3(m): 1:19am On Mar 31, 2011
Why do we always get euphoric when White people acknowledge us for one thing or the other,

Colonial mentality seems to have done a lotta damage to our psyche, unfortunately. SMH

Why is this news?
Re: Uk Govt Lists Yoruba, Igbo Languages On Census Enumeration Form by ektbear: 1:27am On Mar 31, 2011
fstranger3:

Why do we always get euphoric when White people acknowledge us for one thing or the other,

Colonial mentality seems to have done a lotta damage to our psyche, unfortunately. SMH

Why is this news?

Why do you hate the white man?
aloy/emeka:

How did you determine that?. many Ijaws in UK too, why only Igbo and Yoruba?. I smell tribalism from black YoruIgbo Britons.

I didn't determine it. . . the British did. Otherwise they'd have included the language on the census forms. . .

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Bakare, I'm Disappointed! / Islamic Barbaric Bomb (ibb) / Viewpoint: How Tribalism Stunts African Democracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.